Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3728807 - 02/01/13 01:24 PM Metal Detecting Recommendations?  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Temporarily relocated to Brita...
A long shot perhaps, but I'm looking to buy a new metal detector now that I've been PCSed to Britain in order to go history-hunting if you will. I've used a metal detector several times, but I fear that I have almost no knowledge of what to look for/where to go when it comes to picking one out. The only caveats I have would be a $500-$600 spending limit, and something that can pick out differing metal types would be glorious. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Ebola for you!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3728826 - 02/01/13 02:02 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
smile

Ah metal detecting.. interesting stuff to be found underground. I used to have a few cheap metal detectors when I was a kid. Found a few old coins in Germany when we were stationed over there in the late 70's.

I would think that $500 to $600 would get you a healthy device, but I'm no pro either.

Whatever you do get, and whatever you do find with it, please promise not to behave like these guys on Nat Geo:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/

They do actually find some interesting stuff, however their enthusiasm is a bit over the top and seems contrived. And why they call it nectar, I'll never know.rolleyes

It's a Game. smile
#3728908 - 02/01/13 04:50 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Wow... I hope to at least appear to be a little more... sane when I'm doing it. More of a hobby for me really as I've always loved history/archaeology.

Ebola for you!
#3728950 - 02/01/13 05:55 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I can't make a specific recommendation. I've only owned the cheap $20 Radio Shack type detectors, and the best I've used was a White's that my Dad owned about 20 years ago. It had a LCD screen/computer that would indicate it's guess at the target type and depth, and it seemed to do a good job though I was just in the yard, with a poor range of targets, when I used it.

http://www.whitesmetaldetector.com/beginner-metal-detectors.php

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3729003 - 02/01/13 06:53 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: adlabs6]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: adlabs6
I can't make a specific recommendation. I've only owned the cheap $20 Radio Shack type detectors, and the best I've used was a White's that my Dad owned about 20 years ago. It had a LCD screen/computer that would indicate it's guess at the target type and depth, and it seemed to do a good job though I was just in the yard, with a poor range of targets, when I used it.

http://www.whitesmetaldetector.com/beginner-metal-detectors.php

It's interesting how the technology has changed on this equipment. (and rightfully so)

The one I used a kid was a small handheld that required you to squat on the ground as you ran the device over the desired search area. (kind of like using an iron) There was a magnetically activated needle in a dashboard configuration that twitched when you found something. Radio Shack of course. As I got older I graduated on to the standard model that used various high pitched tones to alert you to a find.

This might be what the doctor ordered. smile

It's a Game. smile
#3729022 - 02/01/13 07:23 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wow, I thought metal detectors went out of style after the 1980's. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3729033 - 02/01/13 07:41 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Wow, I thought metal detectors went out of style after the 1980's. biggrin

Well.. those clowns on Nat Geo still seem to be having a good time at it. wink

It's a Game. smile
#3729080 - 02/01/13 08:53 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
We have a Garrett model with which seems to work well.

Beaches can give good finds. lots of coins after nice weather.

If you want to search farmland ask the landowner. Even if the land has been searched before ploughing will turn up different stuff.

#3729094 - 02/01/13 09:22 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio

#3729113 - 02/01/13 09:59 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
you won't be finding any big gold artifacts or nuggets with a 600$ metal detector in the US or europe

but you will find a lot of jewelry, semi-modern artifacts like coins from the 1600's, maybe some arrow or spear heads. you'll find a lot of old bullets.

i have found ancient money from the 1500's in japan with a detector before - that is always cool to find.

#3729290 - 02/02/13 05:41 AM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I got into metal detecting last September. My recommendations, look into the Garrett models. I personally have the AT Pro and the Ace 250. You can probably get the AT Pro plus some kit for about the price you mentioned. (if not, get the Ace 350) Now in England these might be called the "AT Pro International" or the "Euro Ace". Sometimes there are good deals on ebay.

ALSO I HIGHLY recommend buying a Garrett Pro Pointer. Makes life a helluva lot easier when it comes to finding the things you're digging for.

The Garrett models have a good reputation for being great coin and relic finders, which is exactly what you want in England.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3729393 - 02/02/13 01:43 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Thanks for the help all!

Ebola for you!
#3729397 - 02/02/13 01:57 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
you won't be finding any big gold artifacts or nuggets with a 600$ metal detector in the US or europe

but you will find a lot of jewelry, semi-modern artifacts like coins from the 1600's, maybe some arrow or spear heads. you'll find a lot of old bullets.

i have found ancient money from the 1500's in japan with a detector before - that is always cool to find.

That depends entirely on where you're looking wink

http://www.thelocal.se/5349/20061030/

They've found lot's of treasure on Gotland.
I should say, with regards to the original poster that it might be a good idea to look up the laws and regulations in the UK regarding metal detectors and treasure hunting.
I believe all such items found in Sweden (older than 100 years) are protected by law, and considered cultural heritage or somthing.
Though as mentioned in the above article, there is a finders fee.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#3729400 - 02/02/13 02:10 PM Re: Metal Detecting Recommendations? [Re: Santhonax]  
killdevil Offline
Ruddy Duck
killdevil  Offline
Ruddy Duck

E.City, North Carolina
As an opinionated archaeologist I will spare you the bulk of my soapbox lecture on the dark side of metal detecting. However,what you see in that National Geographic clip, while not the norm, is certainly very common among detector groups. In fact it gets far worse as you move towards the criminal end where folks loot on National Parks, dig up graves etc. In the UK, the situation is a little better with their treasure laws but as advised above never trespass. If you really want to experience archaeology in Britain, get on with a county archaeological society. If you want the exercise, and just mess about, stick to the beaches.

I rarely use a metal detector except in specific instances (surface collections). My needs are different since we are usually looking for larger sub-terrain features such as foundations, walls, fire pits, burials etc. For the most part, I use a gradiometer for magnetometry, ground penetrating radar and electric resistivity. For archaeologist its not about the artifact but what it tells us, though I would be lying if I said finding a hoard of gold coins wasn't on my bucket list wink . If you can, try and get on with one of these societies, in my opinion you would get more out of it plus get to learn the process of archaeology and use some of the gadgets above.

CSG_Rummy

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.