Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3726681 - 01/29/13 12:23 AM Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/us-dutch-monarchy-idINBRE90R0RC20130128

Quote:
Dutch Queen Beatrix, who turns 75 on Thursday, announced she was abdicating in favor of her son, Prince Willem-Alexander, who will become king on April 30.

Right now in England: "Mooom! Why does he get to be King and I don't? And he's 20 years younger than I am!" winkngrin

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3726857 - 01/29/13 09:38 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
His Royal Highness King Pilsner of the Netherlands!

It's weird suddenly having a new monarch... I even remember Queen Juliana.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3726862 - 01/29/13 10:04 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

There's such a fine line as to what is PWEC material and what isn't on this website sometimes. Things get so blurred quite often.

#3726890 - 01/29/13 12:21 PM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Snap]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Snapdad2112
There's such a fine line as to what is PWEC material and what isn't on this website sometimes. Things get so blurred quite often.
Um, I think it's safe to say that a change in the Dutch monarchy is not something that will bring out heated political debate on SimHQ. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3727021 - 01/29/13 03:49 PM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
He will be the fist King in the Netherlands since 1890, and he will be succeeded by another Queen (if the monarchy is still there by then).

#3727406 - 01/30/13 12:13 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Um, I think it's safe to say that a change in the Dutch monarchy is not something that will bring out heated political debate on SimHQ. smile

It's sarcasm.

#3727497 - 01/30/13 04:08 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Perhaps a European can explain to me why they keep these deplorable throwbacks to totalitarianism amongst themselves?

PWEC smile

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3727506 - 01/30/13 04:22 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
I have family on Saba in the Antilles, and I told them of this news last night. They were genuinely surprised.

Why? I guess because QE2 hasn't so why should anyone else? biggrin

#3727514 - 01/30/13 04:39 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Vertigo1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Perhaps a European can explain to me why they keep these deplorable throwbacks to totalitarianism amongst themselves?

PWEC smile
Well to be fair, there are huge differences between an absolute monarchy and a constitutional monarchy. France got rid of theirs in 1789 and the UK got rid of theirs in 1688.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3727554 - 01/30/13 07:21 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Maybe the 'P' part of PWEC doesn't mean anything here, after all. Cool. I guess anything goes, right Panzer?

#3727567 - 01/30/13 08:53 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Vertigo1]  
JayPee Offline
JayPee  Offline

The Netherlands

PWEC smile

Well, first of all, at least in The Netherlands, totalitarianism hasn't been the case really. We have a parliamentary democracy since 1848 within a constitutional monarchy. The save you an hour of boring and tedious history, we're democratic as hell and the queen hasn't got jack **** to tell, and it was already like that at the start of it.

Man, we even need a referendum if the government decides to place new white coloured public recycle bins in parks. Reason, the birds might see the colour white as an invasive object within their natural habitat. I'll tell you... In times of an economic crisis, that's what keeps our government busy. In the meanwhile, immigrants are lying on their stolen/leftist government funded coach, leeching off their leftist government funded funds, recently graduated academics won't get a job because companies die trying to survive, and CEOs are sent home with a 15 mln. thank you for 2 years of miss management. But let's keep focus.

Back to the queen and these deplorable throwbacks. It's mostly show, sentiment, and culture, there really isn't any value added in the chain by the queen or the royal family in general. The only actual job she performs from time to time is that of a marketing/PR woman. When she's going abroad on one of her fancy trips, she sometimes acquires large orders for Dutch companies. Oh, and she recieves 16 mln. a year. Tax free, that is. Pretty decent salary for an order acquisitor I'd say.

Did you by any chance see the footage in which she says how utterly grateful she is for all those years of lovely support from the Dutch population?! Well, she can start expressing her gratefulness by injecting 30 years of exorbitant salary into the population if you ask my opinion.

So, I think I upped the PWEC factor quite a bit now!

Last edited by JayPee; 01/30/13 09:00 AM. Reason: grammar cops came by
#3727572 - 01/30/13 09:27 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Snap]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Maybe the 'P' part of PWEC doesn't mean anything here, after all. Cool. I guess anything goes, right Panzer?

So says the guy perma-banned from the PWEC forum...

#3727573 - 01/30/13 09:29 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Vertigo1]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California

Well, in England, it's all about the tourism dollars. smile

#3727602 - 01/30/13 12:13 PM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Snap]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Why are you addressing that question to me? I didn't start the thread. Oh, and when did you become a moderator??

#3728726 - 02/01/13 06:30 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: JayPee]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

Originally Posted By: JayPee

PWEC smile

Well, first of all, at least in The Netherlands, totalitarianism hasn't been the case really. We have a parliamentary democracy since 1848 within a constitutional monarchy. The save you an hour of boring and tedious history, we're democratic as hell and the queen hasn't got jack **** to tell, and it was already like that at the start of it.

Man, we even need a referendum if the government decides to place new white coloured public recycle bins in parks. Reason, the birds might see the colour white as an invasive object within their natural habitat. I'll tell you... In times of an economic crisis, that's what keeps our government busy. In the meanwhile, immigrants are lying on their stolen/leftist government funded coach, leeching off their leftist government funded funds, recently graduated academics won't get a job because companies die trying to survive, and CEOs are sent home with a 15 mln. thank you for 2 years of miss management. But let's keep focus.

Back to the queen and these deplorable throwbacks. It's mostly show, sentiment, and culture, there really isn't any value added in the chain by the queen or the royal family in general. The only actual job she performs from time to time is that of a marketing/PR woman. When she's going abroad on one of her fancy trips, she sometimes acquires large orders for Dutch companies. Oh, and she recieves 16 mln. a year. Tax free, that is. Pretty decent salary for an order acquisitor I'd say.

Did you by any chance see the footage in which she says how utterly grateful she is for all those years of lovely support from the Dutch population?! Well, she can start expressing her gratefulness by injecting 30 years of exorbitant salary into the population if you ask my opinion.

So, I think I upped the PWEC factor quite a bit now!

...but wouldn't it be easier just to use the correct Euro to Dutch Guilder exchange rate to solve your economic problems since the shopkeepers, stores etc... took advantage of the currency switch by doubling the prices overnight on everything and making themselves rich? Personally, I like the Queen. It's kinda sad to see her step down.

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
#3728729 - 02/01/13 06:49 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
The main reason to keep the royals is simply because a) tradition and b) you get someone who is bred and taught from their birth to be your nation's representative. You get someone who is educated in manners, who doesn't bow in submission before an Emperor by mistake, or puke in their laps. And you avoid scandals like having nazis elected as your head of state (hello Kurt Waldheim).

I shudder at the people I know would have been elected as presidents in Norway if we had a system with a figurehead leader besides our PM. I shudder at the people that has been PM also :P

#3728739 - 02/01/13 07:46 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Turbo]  
JayPee Offline
JayPee  Offline

The Netherlands

...but wouldn't it be easier just to use the correct Euro to Dutch Guilders exchange rate to solve your economic problems since the shopkeepers, stores etc... took advantage of the currency switch by doubling the prices overnight on everything and making themselves rich? Personally, I like the Queen. It's kinda sad to see her step down.

Funny that you touch upon that subject. It is absolutely true yet sometimes it seems no one notices that, especially not beyond the Dutch borders. Prices indeed got rougly doubled overnight, exchange rate is Guilders:Euros 2.2:1, and prices almost changed on a 1:1 ratio. But in an economy it's like this: the baker doubled the price of his bread, the landlord thought: well since he's earning twice as much, I might as well double the rent. Moreso since the landlord also has to eat and has to pay twice as much for a bread than he used to. See where I'm going?

Only way you could revert this in a relatively short timeframe is by governmental interference in the form of controlling and regulating prices. But guess what would happen then in our overly social and left wing country besides the fact that Brussels doesn't like that? Exactly, everyone will start screaming because they once read an article or two about liberalism and now 'their freedom' is taken away. And in my opinion that's the problem of a democracy, but since a democracy is the only acceptable form right now you'll have to cope with it. Every fool's vote and opinion counts, so if they'd have to hand in 10 Euros to recieve 100 Euros over a longer stretched timeframe in the future, it's a no go.

Last edited by JayPee; 02/01/13 07:54 AM. Reason: Busted by the grammar cops
#3728740 - 02/01/13 07:48 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
JayPee Offline
JayPee  Offline

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
The main reason to keep the royals is simply because a) tradition and b) you get someone who is bred and taught from their birth to be your nation's representative. You get someone who is educated in manners, who doesn't bow in submission before an Emperor by mistake, or puke in their laps. And you avoid scandals like having nazis elected as your head of state (hello Kurt Waldheim).

^ This.

But like I said, all the love, praise and money for a mere PR manager is really over-exaggarated.

Last edited by JayPee; 02/01/13 07:49 AM.
#3728744 - 02/01/13 08:04 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
The queen is dead (sorta), Long live the king.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3728749 - 02/01/13 08:44 AM Re: Dutch Queen abdicates, Willem-Alexander to succeed [Re: JayPee]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Originally Posted By: JayPee

...but wouldn't it be easier just to use the correct Euro to Dutch Guilders exchange rate to solve your economic problems since the shopkeepers, stores etc... took advantage of the currency switch by doubling the prices overnight on everything and making themselves rich? Personally, I like the Queen. It's kinda sad to see her step down.

Funny that you touch upon that subject. It is absolutely true yet sometimes it seems no one notices that, especially not beyond the Dutch borders. Prices indeed got rougly doubled overnight, exchange rate is Guilders:Euros 2.2:1, and prices almost changed on a 1:1 ratio. But in an economy it's like this: the baker doubled the price of his bread, the landlord thought: well since he's earning twice as much, I might as well double the rent. Moreso since the landlord also has to eat and has to pay twice as much for a bread than he used to. See where I'm going?

Only way you could revert this in a relatively short timeframe is by governmental interference in the form of controlling and regulating prices. But guess what would happen then in our overly social and left wing country besides the fact that Brussels doesn't like that? Exactly, everyone will start screaming because they once read an article or two about liberalism and now 'their freedom' is taken away. And in my opinion that's the problem of a democracy, but since a democracy is the only acceptable form right now you'll have to cope with it. Every fool's vote and opinion counts, so if they'd have to hand in 10 Euros to recieve 100 Euros over a longer stretched timeframe in the future, it's a no go.

Wrong, it was that right-wing idiot Gerrit Zalm that caused the conversion Guilder to Euro to be more than 10% too low; it was his party that oversaw the conversion and were the first in line at every corner to increase price and basically privatized all state-controlled companies. And every time they promised us "It will become cheaper!" and literally everytime the prices increased between 30 and 100% within a few years. I'm talking about energy, water, public transport, healthcare here - things that people need on an everyday basis.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.