Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3727673 - 01/30/13 03:37 PM 1.27 Thoughts?  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
How's the new update for everyone? I've had only a few FRB missions so far but noticed a couple changes.

Rearming after landing now puts you back on the runway, lined up and ready for takeoff. As someone who enjoyed landing and turning around on my own I think this has no place in FRB.

Manual engine start when mission begins. This is great! Only way to improve it more would be to add some smoke, exhaust flame, and more engine start sounds.

The option to bail out now is nice, BUT on FRB do I really need the giant flashing PRESS J KEY TO BAIL OUT taking up half of my cockpit and preventing me from reading my gauges? Is there a way to turn this off?

Korsun map. Never played this before. Reminds me of the Sicily map but with German vs Russians. Very flat, open, lots of AA and flak. One of the secondary objectives is to destroy bridges this sounds pretty cool. More things to blow up thank tanks and AA is always welcome for a bomber pilot.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3728126 - 01/31/13 11:06 AM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
Originally Posted By: kestrel79
How's the new update for everyone? I've had only a few FRB missions so far but noticed a couple changes.

Rearming after landing now puts you back on the runway, lined up and ready for takeoff. As someone who enjoyed landing and turning around on my own I think this has no place in FRB.

Manual engine start when mission begins. This is great! Only way to improve it more would be to add some smoke, exhaust flame, and more engine start sounds.

The option to bail out now is nice, BUT on FRB do I really need the giant flashing PRESS J KEY TO BAIL OUT taking up half of my cockpit and preventing me from reading my gauges? Is there a way to turn this off?

Korsun map. Never played this before. Reminds me of the Sicily map but with German vs Russians. Very flat, open, lots of AA and flak. One of the secondary objectives is to destroy bridges this sounds pretty cool. More things to blow up thank tanks and AA is always welcome for a bomber pilot.

I'm the same kestrel having only played a few FRB battles since the big update and I fully agree with your observations for both plus and minus points.

The aircraft re-alignment after landing is ridiculous for FRB. No longer can you turn the aircraft around and taxi to your take off spot. You disappear then re-appear perfectly lined up with your flaps reset. Fine for those who are lazy.

It's great that you can leave the aircraft on the strip and change ordnance after landing and then climb back in but I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to change aircraft? With only one spawn I think you should be allowed to change from fighter to bomber and vice versa if you have them. Maybe that option will come later?

The on-screen messages for me are one of the biggest immersion killers. Why do we have to be told the obvious in bold, in-your-face messages? It is possible to fully disable HUD but it gets rid of everything. Some items I would like to keep (prop pitch detail, mixture, gear position etc). In my advancing years I sometimes forget If I have raised the gear after take-off! You can't always tell the position with HUD off. There is only one sound for raising and lowering the gear and only one button to toggle it instead of configurable raise and lower keys. I need that gear message sometimes.

I love the new bail out option and I'm glad it is no longer performed by 'The Flash' in an instant! I like that you have to commit to it by holding the key and it takes the pilot a few moments to get out. Is 3 seconds too fast? Maybe 4 or random between 3 and 7 seconds? But yes, why the enormous lettering?

Staying with a critically damaged aircraft is great but I've yet to see if I can nurse what is considered 'critically damaged' onto the ground. I wonder if an aircraft with a wing-tip missing or an engine on fire can be landed? Haven't had the opportunity to test that yet.

I considered posting a thread at the mad house discussing points on improving FRB but sadly that would be a waste of time I feel. It would inevitably descend into calls for full-icons by those that shout the loudest (the new breed of arcade/simmers), ahem...

banghead

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
#3728230 - 01/31/13 03:22 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Wow I didn't know you can change ordnance after landing now? Was that in the patch notes?

It would be nice to change planes too after you land like you said, that could make for sure spicy gameplay fun. Imagine you're a bomber and the only plane left on your side, there's a couple fighters left on the other team and they are coming to your base to take you out. After you land you respawn as a fighter and can battle them head to head. That sounds cool.

No wonder I haven't bailed out yet...you have to hold the key down. I'm so used to IL2 bailing out still.

Keep fighting the good fight on those forums. You and AbortedMan make some great points over there and I agree with pretty much everything you guys say. I'd chime in more but I can't write as good as you guys haha. Hopefully we get an FRB forum to discuss this stuff and that will eliminate some of the arcade kiddies who want to dumb down our fun.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3728236 - 01/31/13 03:34 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Interesting points gents.

Yes I agree options will only allow this game to appeal to a larger audiance. I hope they are aware of this. How much effort would it take to provide a player the option to turn big lettering off. Not much I suspect, but do not know

I plan on downloading the latest patch soon, it's been a long time since I've flown this one.

#3728341 - 01/31/13 05:49 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: GloDark7]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Originally Posted By: GloDark7

I considered posting a thread at the mad house discussing points on improving FRB but sadly that would be a waste of time I feel. It would inevitably descend into calls for full-icons by those that shout the loudest (the new breed of arcade/simmers), ahem...

banghead

Glo

"...mad house..." hahaha

I can't think of a better term to describe some of the threads in the WT forum, Glo!

The polite, civil discussions that we used to have in WoP have obviously been replaced with a new posting protocol that comes, apparently, with what you correctly referred to as "the new breed of arcade/simmers". Yikes!

That aside, you and kestrel make very good points. But who really wants to walk into that assylum to raise them?

Jimko

"The older we are, the better we were!"
#3728427 - 01/31/13 08:21 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol Jimko, I read your post thinking you were JimBobb and noticed a big difference in style. I'm thinking 'Huh?'

You're a smoother talker than JimBobb biggrin

Just joking with ya and JimBobb. wink

#3728459 - 01/31/13 09:18 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: bisher]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Originally Posted By: bisher
lol Jimko, I read your post thinking you were JimBobb and noticed a big difference in style. I'm thinking 'Huh?'

You're a smoother talker than JimBobb biggrin

Just joking with ya and JimBobb. wink

lol Bisher... hahaha

It's happened before with a 'Jimbo' on the WT forum and then we had to untangle! dizzy

Jimko

#3728875 - 02/01/13 03:39 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
he he that's funny Jimko smile

#3728892 - 02/01/13 04:33 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
dach Offline
dach  Offline

I like Korsun . Carried bombs with me once I saw there were bridges ( this is in HB, not FR). Dropped my bombs are got 2 hits but also a Friendly fire penalty for damage a team mate. I swear there were no friendlys near.

The eject feature is... meh imho and sorta annoying. .50 calibre seems to be fixed now on the american tree.

The amount of stupid grousing on the WT forums is amazing . Trojan announced the BIG patch features a week in advance and ppl wanted it immediately. Then they complained once it came out about no advance on the patch notes.. duh

Give me a tiered Match making and I will be truely happy. Well; also the totally unrealistic Mouse aimers need to be restricted somehow, arcade would be fun for a quick round but seeing planes turn on a dime that have 20sec plus turn rates is annoying

#3728981 - 02/01/13 06:25 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Anyone know how many bombs it takes to knock out a bridge on Korsun? I've only tried a couple 100 pounders and did not destroy it. I imagine you need some big boys.

The heavy tanks on the Korsun map can be had with one of the larger Russian rockets. The smaller ones you may need a couple to take them out. Man that AA is deadly on this map. No where to hide from it either like on Kuban, it's very flat.

#3729098 - 02/01/13 09:28 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

I finally got the thing downloaded. Played offline some just to check it. Now it seems to want me to dl a 15MB update, but it just stops and won't download it.

#3729167 - 02/02/13 12:03 AM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
soarfeat Offline
soarfeat  Offline

Well, I also did not know you had to hold the bail-out button down,I had just tapped it and then kept tapping and continued tapping---ha !!! I also would like to see a more limited HUD, such as with IL-2--ex. when you make a prop adjustment it shows for a few seconds and disappears or flap, cowl flaps, etc. Actually with rpm and manifold pressure the games gauges so far for me have been good to keep engines from over heating, I really need to read and find out what the best settings were for these in the real world ( I am lazy ).
They tried to enhance force feedback with this last update, however with my G-940 what occurs is that if you initiate a slight turn, it pulls the stick into the turn, ( kinda different and I just reduced force feedback settings in the game to help cope with this ).
I know some folks have complained about speed bleed off as in turns, what I am seeing is that as in landings, it really takes a lot to get speeds reduced to appropriate pattern and landing speeds, even with flaps extended, I of course have never flown these planes in real life but suspect speeds should bleed off a bit faster than they do .
cheers --sf

#3729169 - 02/02/13 12:06 AM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: soarfeat]  
Parker Offline
Parker  Offline

Originally Posted By: soarfeat
Well, I also did not know you had to hold the bail-out button down,I had just tapped it and then kept tapping and continued tapping---ha !!! I also would like to see a more limited HUD, such as with IL-2--ex. when you make a prop adjustment it shows for a few seconds and disappears or flap, cowl flaps, etc. Actually with rpm and manifold pressure the games gauges so far for me have been good to keep engines from over heating, I really need to read and find out what the best settings were for these in the real world ( I am lazy ).
They tried to enhance force feedback with this last update, however with my G-940 what occurs is that if you initiate a slight turn, it pulls the stick into the turn, ( kinda different and I just reduced force feedback settings in the game to help cope with this ).
I know some folks have complained about speed bleed off as in turns, what I am seeing is that as in landings, it really takes a lot to get speeds reduced to appropriate pattern and landing speeds, even with flaps extended, I of course have never flown these planes in real life but suspect speeds should bleed off a bit faster than they do .
cheers --sf

You can in fact remove the hud completely if you wish.

#3729384 - 02/02/13 01:23 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
dach Offline
dach  Offline

@ Kestrel. There are 2 sets of bridges that must be destroyed, I used a single 500 lb and have destroyed them . Used the Russian Version of the P-63. Sorta a flying pig but used in the right place I love it.

I was surprised to find no one loitering the area near the bridges given there importance for the mission

#3729885 - 02/03/13 03:36 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: Jimko]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Quote:
The polite, civil discussions that we used to have in WoP have obviously been replaced with a new posting protocol that comes, apparently, with what you correctly referred to as "the new breed of arcade/simmers". Yikes!

Here we go, poking, comparing, and lowering indirectly the competition, because we, puny simple mortals we would not be able to perceive a difference between WoP and WT!...That generally helps to clarify the debates!...Thanks Jimbo I feel so much smarter now!... butt...Pruha!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#3729970 - 02/03/13 06:38 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway

Here we go, poking, comparing, and lowering indirectly the competition, because we, puny simple mortals we would not be able to perceive a difference between WoP and WT!...That generally helps to clarify the debates!...Thanks Jimbo I feel so much smarter now!... butt...Pruha!

And thank you for expressing your opinion in such an eloquent and articulate fashion!

It's gratifying to know that my comment made you feel "so much smarter", especially since your response is more proof of the very type of uncivil behaviour in the WT forum that I was referring to.

Do you think, perhaps, that you could have expressed a contrary opinion without making it a personal attack? yep

As for "...poking, comparing, and lowering indirectly the competition, because we, puny simple mortals we would not be able to perceive a difference between WoP and WT!...", how in hell did you ever construe that from my comment? Yikes!

Jimko

#3730037 - 02/03/13 08:50 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Thanks Jimbo

Smarter? Yikes you still can't read

Who's Jimbo again? Isn't he from world of tanks?

We need name tags

#3730051 - 02/03/13 09:27 PM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: bisher]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Originally Posted By: bisher
Thanks Jimbo

Smarter? Yikes you still can't read

Who's Jimbo again? Isn't he from world of tanks?

We need name tags

biggrin

Poor "Jimbo" who hasn't said a thing! hahaha

Jimko

#3730743 - 02/05/13 01:30 AM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: kestrel79]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
So why do you answer since your callsign is not "JIMBO"?.....interesting!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#3730815 - 02/05/13 05:04 AM Re: 1.27 Thoughts? [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
So why do you answer since your callsign is not "JIMBO"?.....interesting!

Well, since you really didn't understand my post, I guess I'm not surprised that you didn't figure this out.

First... You used a direct quote out of my posting so you were obviously targeting me with your comments.

Second... Based on the point above, you obviously misspelled the name or were confused about who you were replying to or you were really confused and thought I was someone else.

And now, please consider the fact that there has been none of this kind of personal dueling in this thread until you came along to make a personal attack because I said something that you don't like and that you seem to have misconstrued the meaning of. Before that there were no personal attacks and no one took any offense at what anyone else said, at least in this thread.

Like many others, I have no problem with debates or disagreements if they are conducted in a civil manner, and that is why I made a comment about the current WT forums in the first place. Recently, some members are posting there and pleading for all the personal attacks, insults, and general denigration to stop because it's become so bad. It's not just my opinion!

I think that we are done here now and so there's no need to waste any more time on this.

Jimko

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.