Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/...n-combat/61495/

Quote:
One of the recurring arguments against women serving in combat appears on its face to be just good common horse sense: women just don't have the upper body strength to carry a heavy male soldier out of combat. The thing is, you don't need much upper body strength to carry a guy out of combat. This will come as a surprise to certain pundits, but troops are not trained to carry each other like babies.

American troops are trained use the fireman's carry, which is a way of sort of slinging a dude over your shoulder, as seen in the GIF at right. It's shockingly easy. It's so easy that in instructional YouTubes, the carried sometimes laugh with surprise. Earlier this month, on vacation, I ran in circles while fireman-carrying my (admittedly indie-rock thin) 6'2" male friend on a Miami beach, because it was funny. There are tons of YouTubes of women carrying men this way.

This could turn into a major fetish! winkngrin

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3726868 - 01/29/13 11:12 AM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
SFViper19D Offline
Forum Scout
SFViper19D  Offline
Forum Scout

Goshen, IN.
Great, they're in skivvies. Show me a picture where they are wearing full-battle-rattle including sappi plates.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)
#3726869 - 01/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
Seen it done in firefighters' full bunker gear including helmet and Scott air pack. That count?

Miao, Cat
#3726870 - 01/29/13 11:19 AM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
SFViper19D Offline
Forum Scout
SFViper19D  Offline
Forum Scout

Goshen, IN.
In fact, show me the picture where the girl is hauling her battle buddy out of the turret hatch while he's passed out/dead weight and tell me you don't need upper body strength. #%&*$# ridiculous. banghead

Sorry, I'm equal rights on most things but gimme a break.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)
#3727038 - 01/29/13 04:08 PM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Husar Offline
Husar  Offline

NRW, Germany
Some of the soldiers you see in videos don't look like they have a lot more upper body strength, certainly not enough to drag a heavily armored buddy in a kevlarplateflakvestbodyarmor out of a snorkelled turret hatch. Some people claim even men need to be two to carry a heavy, fully-equipped buddy. I know it's atrocious but maybe men shouldn't be in the army either. wink

I agree that the standards should be the same or very close at least, but that also makes the discussion about upper body strength superfluous since it should be a discussion about the standards that are applied, not a comparison of super models to body builders to prove some point.

I'm sure women who want to join the army can train to get the required strength, problem is only if they're not required to get the required strength, since it is, you know, required. exitstageleft

A look at other armies that did and do deploy women in combat roles may also be more useful than arbitrary comparisons.

#3727073 - 01/29/13 04:35 PM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Some women can, some probably can't.
Would have to say the same for men.
I would give the 'percentages' to the men in a physical contest, but that shouldn't cut out, the women who 'can'.
Just the way it is....IMHO.

If she can 'do' the job, she gets the job, what ever it is.
Same as men.
Don't agree with 'unequal' treatment.
Simple as that, as far as I'm concerned.

I've worked with women who could fight a normal man.
I've worked with women who had the 'courage', of a normal man.
An asset to the Department.
But if 'anyone' can't 'do' the job, they shouldn't have the job.
Simple as that....IMHO.
Just not the way it is, in every case.

For instance, if they took 'carrying an injured man off the battlefield' off the list of qualifications necessary to get the job, just to allow a gender, race, or nationality to pass the 'qualifications'...that's not 'equal'.
That's rigging the game. And someone will pay for it with his life, if it's a life and death 'game'.

Lowering the 'standards', to suit a certain group, is not 'equal'....IMHO.
But then again, I don't do the hiring....so it is, what it is.
We live and die, with the results.

Witnessing the results of those decisions, has a profound effect on your opinion.

"Murphy's Law"
#3727122 - 01/29/13 05:23 PM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3727409 - 01/30/13 12:23 AM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Murphy]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
Originally Posted By: Murphy

Witnessing the results of those decisions, has a profound effect on your opinion.

Yes. Yes, it does. And there's a lot of men on the street that have no business out there, either. But they're there because they knew someone, or were otherwise politically correct for the time and place. This has zip to do with gender and everything to do with ability. You can't pigeonhole all women any more than you can do the same to all men (and I know you're not doing that here, Murphy-I'm speaking globally).

Lot of folks out there are alive right now because some gal had the guts to charge into a burning building or an armed confrontation. Seen it. And done it. But of course, I wouldn't want to spoil all this righteous anger in this thread with something as insubstantial and inconsequential as personal experience.

By the way, when I was in my 20s you couldn't have paid me extra to be an 11B. Military police was fine by me. They still used us as bootleg cav scouts and that's not what the recruiter lied to me would be the job-I was lured in by the promise of working law enforcement and spent most of my tour in the field. Ah, well. It was fun anyway. And I enjoyed my time hanging out with the 193d but I wouldn't have wanted to do it for a living. Now, that does not mean that my motivated peers ought to be told they can't even go out for the team. I differ with that Marine in the story referenced above as to that. If a woman can make the grade she ought to be allowed to try.

Miao, Cat
#3727415 - 01/30/13 12:35 AM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I'm with Murphy on it - anyone should be allowed who can do what needs to be done, but don't change the requirements just to open it up to more people.

I've forgotten the details, but a friend of mine who was in the Navy told me about a physical job on board ship that, pretty much since the beginning of the Navy, had been done by one person. When women were brought on board ships, most couldn't lift whatever needed to be lifted, so the Navy changed the rules to require that it be a 2-person job. Now they have to dedicate more crew to doing a given job, whether it's men or women, because of that rule change. That's one less crew member who could be doing other work.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3727776 - 01/30/13 07:09 PM Re: Little women carrying big men [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, there are too many men who are allowed to slide on the requirements as well.

Now if that's due to staffing problems (ie there aren't enough people trying to sign up that meet them), then go ahead and lower the standards for ALL.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.