Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3718033 - 01/15/13 02:23 AM Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Not liking the new design direction DS3 is taking... relying too much on QTEs instead of making you feel your actions direct the plot(even if not completely true). Or maybe the initial shock has passed and I'm not as impressed... dunno.

However, not impressed with all the glowy stuff in A:CM telling you where to put your weapons and where to go. I like it more as a true FPS, but it seems too much console oriented for my likes. Not impressed by the graphics either, although not telling if this is console or PC. (On the plus, they finally added the acid damage). Feels like I've been there, done that.

All in all, I think I will be dissapointed either way... frown

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3718089 - 01/15/13 05:02 AM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Aliens has taken so long to come about that I'm just not that interested anymore. The gameplay I've seen before was WAY too fast, but it does look better there. They said a while back that they were adding the acid blood to it, but it didn't look like it was there yet in that gameplay. I think I'll have to wait for more post-release gameplay videos.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3718280 - 01/15/13 03:34 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
I really want to like A:CM, but I'm gonna hold off on any pre-release excitement and just wait and see...

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#3718329 - 01/15/13 04:45 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Not like there's any rush. Both games will have some sort of co-op, which means I'll likely get them, but I won't be rushing to preorder or anything.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3718368 - 01/15/13 05:39 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Aliens has taken so long to come about that I'm just not that interested anymore. The gameplay I've seen before was WAY too fast, but it does look better there. They said a while back that they were adding the acid blood to it, but it didn't look like it was there yet in that gameplay. I think I'll have to wait for more post-release gameplay videos.

This footage is 4 weeks old. At the 4min mark there is a close kill and you can see acid fumes and some health is lost.

#3722799 - 01/22/13 05:05 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Dead Space 3 to include microtransactions:

duh

cuss2

#3722864 - 01/22/13 06:48 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Gamers must be really thick these days or more money than sense.

If i buy a game, i would like all the things in the game that i bought available to me. To think i paid for a game then may require to spend more money in game to get "Special items" makes me a little puzzled.

Are people that easy with their money.....?

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3722917 - 01/22/13 07:56 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
This is for people who want the cool upgrades without having to work for it. DS1 and DS2 both let you upgrade your stuff with power nodes you found, but there weren't many of them, they were hard to find, and you had to choose carefully. If you can now buy them with real money and not spend game time looking for them, I can imagine there are people who would opt for that.

So it's akin to buying a good weapon in an RPG instead of having to find one in a hard to reach area, or after a big boss battle, and then spend time and resources crafting upgrades to it. It's a shortcut, like buying a cheat from the developer directly, and I see no reason to not allow it.

If the ONLY way to get thing is by paying, yes that's wrong. If the in-game time required to get them is ridiculous (I know some F2P MMOs have ridiculous grinding needed to get anything but the most basic stuff), that is also not acceptable. But if this just means you can play the game through to the end and get the weapons upgraded only spending say 8 hrs playing instead of maybe the 12+ you'd need to go searching for stuff, who cares?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3722945 - 01/22/13 08:35 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

It must be me then jedi. I just don't get it.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3723497 - 01/23/13 07:41 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Like I said, if you have little free time and a few extra bucks doesn't phase you, this is what they did this for.

If you watch your money or have more time to devote to playing the game, it's unneeded. However, its existence shouldn't change anything for you.

Again, I'm making a presumption on how this works based on the first 2 games. DS3 may be different enough, and they might have indeed made it so you really need to spend more to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, in which case shame on them.

The Jedi Master

#3723508 - 01/23/13 07:57 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

When I was younger I spend 4 hours a day gaming. These days I do good to game for 4 hours a week. But I have more money now than I did when I was younger. So I agree with Jedi. I am ok with micro transactions as long as you dont exclude content for people who dont want to buy. You should not punish people because they dont have 40 hours a week to spend gaming. You also shouldnt punish someone because they dont have a bunch of free money to put into a game.

I like the option to unlock things for money or time. As long as they dont exclude content to either group I am fine with it.

What I dont like about this current fad is that companies tend to make things expensive to buy with micro transactions and take too long to get in game. Planetside 2 is really bad about this. Weapons cost 1000sc which is 10 bucks. Or you can play for about 20-30 hours to EARN that much sc in game. 10 bucks sounds a lot better than grinding for 30 hours.

Last edited by Master; 01/23/13 08:03 PM.
#3724181 - 01/24/13 07:25 PM Re: Alien: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Right, that's what I cool a poor balance effort. It makes it painfully obvious that since the game is F2P they're looking to get at least as much as you'd spend on a "standard" game out of every player by making it hard to stick with if you don't! It's obviously "worth" it to spend $10 to save yourself 30 hrs of repetitive and possibly dull or infuriating gaming, but you have to decide how much you'll spend on a F2P title.

Years ago, I was a big fan of expansion packs. After seeing too many good games come out that could use another few maps or planes or whatever that would instead simply STOP, to be followed 3 years later by a sequel that would similarly be lacking some things (because the extra time went into new graphics or features, etc), I always preferred a game that had at least a couple of expansions that built on what was already done. A $50 game with a pair of $25-30 expansion meant you spent $100+ on it, but you got a big game.
The engine is working, let's see more content/add gameplay!

Apparently, expansions became too costly to support. Obviously you can only sell as many as you did the original game (unless you made it standalone in which case it costs as much as a whole game), and I guess too often the expansions would sell to only a fraction. They were a great deal for those who bought them, but the companies made too little.
So instead came DLC where instead of bundling say a dozen or so planes and a theater with some other stuff, you get ONE plane, or ONE map, or ONE new game mode. It's less if all you wanted was ONE plane, but if you wanted it all it would cost you more! Since not enough people would buy them, make the ones who do buy pay more if they want it all ergo make your best customers give you more money.

So if say an expansion had only 25% of the original's sales, which meant the only way to make money on it would be to charge the full $50 for it (which would likely make sales drop more so as to still not break even), instead make a bunch of DLC that's only 1/4 that price, but to buy all of it WOULD cost you that full $50. Now any given DLC may sell far more than 25%, especially if people buy piecemeal. You may not spend $50 for an expansion in one drop, but if you have 5 $10 DLCs spread over 6 months you might get them all...enter the microtransactions.

My problem with them is the so-called "crap planes" like people called them in Il-2 don't get made. An expansion could have 5 or 10 new planes, with a few awesome ones, some mediocre ones, and a couple lousy ones that were better targets than mounts. Everyone got what they wanted. However, for those who ONLY want the Spits and 109s, buying them alone as DLC is cheaper, they're not paying for the crap they don't want to fly. Except those who DO want them can't buy them, because it takes just as much time to build a 109 as it does a Defiant, but if not enough buy it to make it worth releasing, it won't get made. So we get sims with just the historically significant planes flyable instead, usually late-war when they were the best.

DLC and microtransactions are great if you only want a specific thing or two that was popular or important. But if you liked the lesser-known stuff too, it either costs you more to get it all or they simply don't make it because they think it won't sell (and it likely won't). DLC bundling (ie a new term for expansion packs) could help, but other than ROF's "buy 3 planes get 10% off, buy 5 get 20% off, etc" method, almost no one does it.

The Jedi Master

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.