Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3713882 - 01/08/13 07:33 AM Career question  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
I'm flying a career as a German pilot, started 9/1/16 and currently it's 9/18/16. Started with the E III, and now have the Albatross DII, and I've been promoted once and wounded twice. We're supposed to do a patrol mission, and even though I've checked and unchecked the tick box for the flight leader, (not sure if dark color means checked, or if light color means checked), he will never take off even after 15 to 20 real time minutes of warm up and enemy A/C peppering our field with bullets. Once I take off, the remaining 2 planes will follow. I'm on the left with the other 2 planes to my right.

Now the questions. Which color for the tick box means it is checked, white or the charcoal color of the background? I've always thought it was the white color as that is how I've flown before.

Does me being on the left mean that I take off first, even though I'm not the flight leader? I thought the flight leader would take off first as he's supposed to be the leader and I'm the wingman. Not knowing the protocol, I'm at a loss as to how to make the flight leader lead the flight starting at take off.

Thanks for any help.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3713894 - 01/08/13 08:39 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Quote:
We're supposed to do a patrol mission, and even though I've checked and unchecked the tick box for the flight leader, (not sure if dark color means checked, or if light color means checked), he will never take off even after 15 to 20 real time minutes of warm up and enemy A/C peppering our field with bullets.

I'm not quite sure I follow you here. Can you show a screenshot or two of what you're seeing? Also, you're not the squadron commander, correct?

#3714331 - 01/09/13 05:29 AM Re: Career question [Re: LukeFF]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
Thanks for the reply. I tried to take a screen shot but it came out funky.

After you begin the mission and it goes to the mission briefing screen with the map, it tells you who is the flight leader, and it didn't matter if I had the check box white or charcoal grey, each one showed that I was just a wingman and not the flight leader.

On every occasion with it showing me as just a wingman, I sat on the runway warming the engines for 15-20 real time minutes, and the flight would only take off if I went first. This being on my German career.

Tried it on my French career, and the leader took off first without any problems, with me being number 2 and leader being number 5 pilot from left to right, 1 2 3 4 5 on the runway, so not sure if placement on the runway has anything to do with it.

I guess I'll just have to take off first and form up after if I can't figure it out. It's just frustrating that it has only occurred at this point in my career.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, you are correct that I am not the squadron leader.

#3714378 - 01/09/13 08:55 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Which squadron and what date are you seeing this issue?

#3714679 - 01/09/13 07:52 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
September 18th, 1916, Jasta 2 flying out of Velu Airfield. Again, thanks for your interest in trying to figure it out. I do appreciate it.

On your own career, do you see what I mean about the check box for assigning the flight leader? It's a little wonky, I myself would have made it so you would actually see a check mark or an x to show that it was actually checked, but that's just me. I'll just fly other careers for now, or maybe try some online action.

[Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MB
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @3.4GHz (3.8GHz turbo Boost) Currently running @ stock speeds.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2x4GB) SDRAM DDR3 2133
2 EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 570
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SSD
Corsair AX1200 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Modular PS
Windows 7 Ultimate]

Old system above.
#3714896 - 01/10/13 01:56 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Sykstring
September 18th, 1916, Jasta 2 flying out of Velu Airfield. Again, thanks for your interest in trying to figure it out. I do appreciate it.

OK, I'll check it when I get a moment.

Quote:
On your own career, do you see what I mean about the check box for assigning the flight leader? It's a little wonky, I myself would have made it so you would actually see a check mark or an x to show that it was actually checked, but that's just me. I'll just fly other careers for now, or maybe try some online action.

I don't really see what you mean about a check box, since if you're not the squadron commander you can't assign who will be the flight leader. When you are the squadron commander, the assignment as flight leader falls to whomever is the pilot listed in the first slot (which of course you can change).

#3715135 - 01/10/13 01:54 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
On your own career, do you see what I mean about the check box for assigning the flight leader?

Can you post a screen? We are unaware of that functionality existing in the sim.

Thanks.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3715188 - 01/10/13 03:31 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA

Finally got my pic issues fixed.

Bernd von Papen has the box next to his name which shows it light (bottom pic) and dark (top pic)in the pictures. My flight is the pending one but the box and ability to check it is the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your interest.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @3.4GHz (3.8GHz turbo Boost) Currently running @ stock speeds.
Windows 7 Ultimate]

Old system above.
#3715569 - 01/10/13 10:52 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
That's not a check box but a sort of "banner" that just notes who the flight leader is.

#3715586 - 01/10/13 11:13 PM Re: Career question [Re: LukeFF]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
That's not a check box but a sort of "banner" that just notes who the flight leader is.

No, if you notice, I purposely held the mouse pointer on it on the bottom picture, and it states "Assign as sortie leader." The top one shows the box being the background color, while the bottom one shows it being white or light grey. The box can be changed by clicking on it.

ETA: No matter if I had the box checked? (white) or unchecked? (grey), my flight leader won't take off unless I go first. Isn't the flight leader supposed to lead the flight, starting at take off?

Last edited by Sykstring; 01/10/13 11:20 PM.
#3715663 - 01/11/13 01:20 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
I looked at that box/banner and don't believe it serves a purpose beyond indicating who the leader is. I myself have never had the flight leader not take-off first after the flare is fired. So I cannpt help you.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3715695 - 01/11/13 02:23 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
Thanks for taking a look. I guess I'll file as a screwy moment unless someone from 777 chimes in. Haven't had any luck with 777 responding to an a/c purchase problem I encountered and sent an email about.

#3715707 - 01/11/13 03:06 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I may be off the mark, but if I remember correctly that little banner is just a symbol, not a check box. That symbol says that the person next to it is the sortie leader. I think the ability to assign a flight leader is reserved for the squadron commander. A more detailed interface is made available once you reach that rank in which you may assign pilots and direct who leads the flights and what aircraft they fly. I also think that the sortie leader is the farthest left plane on the airfield. (has a streamer on the wing struts). If youre the farthest left plane and you are waiting for someone else to take off then you'll wait forever because they are all waiting on you. If you are any of the other planes in order someone else should initiate the take off process on their own. Planes with an open throttle, like the EIII will just go ahead and take off once they turn their engines on regardless of flight order (have seen this in mixed flights). This is from memory, and I can't test it in the sim right now, but I think its accurate. I hope maybe this fixes your problem.

Edit: Also, in your screen shots, you are the highest ranking flier. By default you should be the flight leader.

Last edited by VMIalpha454; 01/11/13 03:16 AM.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#3715797 - 01/11/13 09:16 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: LukeFF

No, if you notice, I purposely held the mouse pointer on it on the bottom picture, and it states "Assign as sortie leader." The top one shows the box being the background color, while the bottom one shows it being white or light grey. The box can be changed by clicking on it.

It's definitely not a check box. When you're not the squadron leader, it doesn't serve any functionality. For some reason (probably a coding oversight), the banner changes color when you click on it.

Otherwise, I ran a test mission with Jasta 2 on the date with which you were having an issue, an I didn't encounter any problems with the AI flight leader taking off.

#3715835 - 01/11/13 12:29 PM Re: Career question [Re: VMIalpha454]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
Originally Posted By: VMIalpha454
I may be off the mark, but if I remember correctly that little banner is just a symbol, not a check box. That symbol says that the person next to it is the sortie leader. I think the ability to assign a flight leader is reserved for the squadron commander. A more detailed interface is made available once you reach that rank in which you may assign pilots and direct who leads the flights and what aircraft they fly. I also think that the sortie leader is the farthest left plane on the airfield. (has a streamer on the wing struts). If youre the farthest left plane and you are waiting for someone else to take off then you'll wait forever because they are all waiting on you. If you are any of the other planes in order someone else should initiate the take off process on their own. Planes with an open throttle, like the EIII will just go ahead and take off once they turn their engines on regardless of flight order (have seen this in mixed flights). This is from memory, and I can't test it in the sim right now, but I think its accurate. I hope maybe this fixes your problem.

Edit: Also, in your screen shots, you are the highest ranking flier. By default you should be the flight leader.

Thanks too for taking a look.

The screen shots I posted weren't from my flight. In my flight, I'm a vizefeldwebel, and the leader is a feldwebel. My plane is the furthest left on the airfield, while the one on the far right has the streamer.

In my French career, I'm number 2 and the leader is in position 5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) with position number 5 taking off first, followed by 4, 3, 2, and finally the 1 position which is on the far left.

In my German career that I'm having the problem with, in this mission the leader is flying an Albatros D.II lt, while the other wingman and myself are flying Albatros D.II.

I am Gunther.

Following is a pic from the airfield showing the blue streamer on the aircraft on the far right.

Thanks all for taking the time to try to help me, it's appreciated. I should try to post a small replay, but showing 15 minutes of just sitting on the runway won't win me any academy awards.

#3715842 - 01/11/13 12:58 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Calavera Offline
Calavera  Offline

Under a Bridge
you can only assign flight leaders as commander(boxes will appear to the left of ALL pilots for you to check). in the "settings" tab next to "begin mission" you can check a box for "warmed-up engine". in career beta, the flight leader is always on the far right. hope this helps! cheers

#3715844 - 01/11/13 01:09 PM Re: Career question [Re: Calavera]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
Originally Posted By: Calavera
you can only assign flight leaders as commander(boxes will appear to the left of ALL pilots for you to check). in the "settings" tab next to "begin mission" you can check a box for "warmed-up engine". in career beta, the flight leader is always on the far right. hope this helps! cheers

I appreciate any help. Still stumped as to why my leader won't take off unless I do first. This is the only mission I've had this happen on so far. I like to fly with the most realistic settings, which is why I start with a cold engine. Seems the most realistic to me at least, though it's not like I've been wrong before.

At least I've learned something about the check boxes. Wondered why it had one for me to check if not Squad leader if it didn't do anything, now at least I know.

Again thanks all. cheers

#3716175 - 01/11/13 10:07 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Skystring, if you see this issue again, immediately exit the game and navigate to the /data/missions folder. There you'll find a file called _gen.mission. Put in a zip file and make a report about in the Tech Support section of the official Rise of Flight forum. That's the quickest way for the developers to try to find out what the issue is.

#3717488 - 01/14/13 07:28 AM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
I actually got this mission to work. Strong winds allowed me to get my engine warmed up by increasing throttle some and full right rudder without aircraft moving. After about 6 minutes, leader took off followed by wingman and myself. Had a small encounter assisting an EIII and then moved on to our patrol. Leader only took a couple passes on our patrol and we headed home. Yay.

Windows 7 Ultimate]

Old system above.
#3717649 - 01/14/13 04:07 PM Re: Career question [Re: Sykstring]  
norm Offline
norm  Offline

Ah, if you have warmed up engines turned off, you will need to wait for yourself and your flight lead to warm their engines, usually for something like 7-10 min. That's why you flight lead was in no hurry to take off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.