Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3716566 - 01/12/13 03:35 PM APOS Patching help  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
I'm having trouble patching the game, like most people I think.

I have installed the game from Gamersgate and in the top right of the game menu it says v5.75

I've downloaded:

game update v581.exe
upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12.exe
patch aug12.g2extension
upd_taran_rakitn_aug12.g2extension

I've already killed my installation once by installing v581.exe and the game wouldn't start.

How and in what order do I install these?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3716587 - 01/12/13 04:09 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
I feel your pain. I still do not understand why they do not include a readme file with that info.

Not home right now, need to check, but it could be when you install game update v 581.exe you didnt point out where your install is, else it will try to patch in the default install directory.

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3716590 - 01/12/13 04:13 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
OK I have managed to install v5.81 and the Aug12 patch.

Do I need upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12.exe & upd_taran_rakitn_aug12.g2extension or just upd_taran_rakitn_aug12.g2extension?

#3716594 - 01/12/13 04:22 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Krabb Offline
Krabb  Offline

Only upd_taran_rakitn_aug12.g2extension.

#3716595 - 01/12/13 04:25 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Great, thanks smile

#3716602 - 01/12/13 04:39 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
still confused here... installed it on my new PC, worked fine, then I went to update as I have done before and wouldn't even start anymore... love the game(s) but said enough is enough and deleted it... way to confusing to keep it updated... whats wrong with a exe update like everything else. wink

#3716619 - 01/12/13 05:17 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Magnum]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: Magnum
still confused here... installed it on my new PC, worked fine, then I went to update as I have done before and wouldn't even start anymore... love the game(s) but said enough is enough and deleted it... way to confusing to keep it updated... whats wrong with a exe update like everything else. wink

Yup, I only just started and nearly gave up smile

Like you said, what's wrong with a .exe?

#3716626 - 01/12/13 05:35 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Incase you want to try again Mags, here's how I updated:

1.Installed game from Gamersgate.

2.Run the V5.81.exe - Making sure that I pointed it to the correct installation location, mine was in Program Files (x86)

3.once that installed I clicked install on the bottom left of the subsequent pop up and navigated to my 'patch aug12.g2extension' download and opened it.

4. clicked 'start & play' in the bottom right of the pop up once installation of the patch had completed.

5.I then started the game and in the top right it now said version 5.81. Click that and it brings up the update pop up again. Click install again and browse to the 'upd_taran_rakitn_aug12.g2extension'. Once that is installed click 'start & play'.

You should be all patched up and ready smile

#3716656 - 01/12/13 06:19 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Since last patch it now reads zip file. What that means...... Download patch. Open installer. Find the zipped file you downloaded. Click on it. Clock pops up, hit save and play.........done.

#3716682 - 01/12/13 07:03 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
None of the patches I downloaded were in zip format.

Either way it's still the same process, rather than just double clicking a .exe file like 99% of other games.

#3716738 - 01/12/13 08:28 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf

Either way it's still the same process, rather than just double clicking a .exe file like 99% of other games.

Its a bad but common way, but very bad.

First then the game should be sold from the one source (which is impossible), or else we'll have a bunch of different patches for each version of the game, which creates confusion and disorder.
Second, download Exe files from Internet and run them on your computer is not good - swear antivirus and OS, especially if it has no objective reasons.
Third, our system allows you to roll back the patch properly, without reinstalling the game. The number of actions that should do practically the same just for the exe file.

#3716740 - 01/12/13 08:37 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: andrey12345]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
Originally Posted By: andrey12345

Third, our system allows you to roll back the patch properly, without reinstalling the game. The number of actions that should do practically the same just for the exe file.

Yea..thats the good part of the Game Updater. Its makes it easy to install/uninstall, enable/disable patches and mods.

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3717542 - 01/14/13 12:23 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Smithcorp Offline
Smithcorp  Offline

Oz
Don't give up on it Magnum. The patching process is a bit unintuitive, but the game itself is brilliant.

#3717583 - 01/14/13 01:50 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: andrey12345]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England

Its a bad but common way, but very bad.

First then the game should be sold from the one source (which is impossible), or else we'll have a bunch of different patches for each version of the game, which creates confusion and disorder.
Second, download Exe files from Internet and run them on your computer is not good - swear antivirus and OS, especially if it has no objective reasons.

many games are sold from different sources, I've never seen confusion and disorder from finding the correct patch from a company's website.

People download a .exe file to install the game in the first place. I've never had a virus from a game or game patch.

Roll back is good.

Yes it's almost the same number of clicks, but someone new to the game has to learn the convulted patch process to learn those few clicks. Not very inviting for the new player. Most would think 'if this is what I have to do just to get the game going, what about when I'm playing the thing?', but then I suppose they'd be right.

It's a great game it really is, but it's tough on the beginner not because of the complexity of the game but in the baffling lack of intuitive processes, menus and tutorials.

Edit: I really want to emphasise here that I am not slating the work for have done on the game, it is fantastic, I am merely saying that a readme file for the beginner etc would make the game much more accessable for the first time user.

Last edited by Tigerwulf; 01/14/13 02:02 PM.
#3717596 - 01/14/13 02:30 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

many games are sold from different sources, I've never seen confusion and disorder from finding the correct patch from a company's website.

It is clear that sooner or later will find the right one. The question arises why is it necessary? This is an obvious drawback, but you indicate (fight) with the shortcomings of our system. What sense justify the deficiencies for another?
Let's be objective biggrin

People download a .exe file to install the game in the first place. I've never had a virus from a game or game patch.

This does not change the fact that it is the most insecure form of patches. But the most common system for patches - from the Steam does not use exe files too. It might be worth to write to Steam what they do not understand how to do the patches? I am worried about Valve and Steam a little bit rofl.

Last edited by andrey12345; 01/14/13 02:31 PM.
#3717668 - 01/14/13 04:54 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
It's a little confusing at first but thats just because it a different method then were use too. Once you have done it a couple times it becomes ol'hat wink

Detailed tutorials on the other hand I feel are much more community driven and based. Most game developers give you the very basics (some better then others mind you) and it's up to the players of said game to discover and share the more finer detailed "how too" points. Unfortunatley for many of us Prima has no interest in these types of games hahaha
cheers

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
#3717689 - 01/14/13 05:21 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: godzilla1985]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England

It is clear that sooner or later will find the right one. The question arises why is it necessary? This is an obvious drawback, but you indicate (fight) with the shortcomings of our system. What sense justify the deficiencies for another?
Let's be objective biggrin

This does not change the fact that it is the most insecure form of patches. But the most common system for patches - from the Steam does not use exe files too. It might be worth to write to Steam what they do not understand how to do the patches? I am worried about Valve and Steam a little bit rofl.

Sorry I do not understand your first point.

The second point, Steams ptaching system is automatic and therefore much simpler than either system so kind of a moot point.

Originally Posted By: godzilla1985
It's a little confusing at first but thats just because it a different method then were use too. Once you have done it a couple times it becomes ol'hat wink

Detailed tutorials on the other hand I feel are much more community driven and based. Most game developers give you the very basics (some better then others mind you) and it's up to the players of said game to discover and share the more finer detailed "how too" points. Unfortunatley for many of us Prima has no interest in these types of games hahaha
cheers

Yeah you do get the hang of it, but it's not a good sign for a new player that they have to research how to patch a game for 45 minutes before playing.

I'm not say we need a Prima guide, and I'm not saying I"m someone who can't figure things out for themself. I'm stating that the gui is unintuitive and the tutorial next to useless and this is a bit of a hurdle to get over before even learning the actual game.

I'm all for discovering how to play a game but intuitive GUIs assist in getting into the game.

It's funny that my.comments are being taken as the first you have heard this.

#3717710 - 01/14/13 06:01 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Krabb Offline
Krabb  Offline

What's wrong with the interface? Developers need specific description to improve something. As of me, I find existing GUI pretty intuitive (with some little quirks), why you think it is unintuitive?

Where you found a tutorial, cause I didn't. biggrin

Oh, and patch system is really easy. 5.81 exe is only a one time requirement, other updates are (and will be) only in those gt2extension things. Just drop the update (gt2extension) onto update.cmd and - voila! - it magically get updated.

#3717718 - 01/14/13 06:20 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Interface, I'll make a list, but off the top of my head multiple ways of doing the same thing, strange format of menus in main menu, use of lots of symbols when a word will do. It's like the designers have gone out of their way to make everything different from other games but to the extreme, when the reason alot of games have the same styles of menus etc is because it works and is tried and tested, and most importantly intuitive.

Tutorial it asks when you start the game, do you want to run the tutorial.

I know it's easy to patch the little updates when you know how. I'm talking about the first time user. There isn't a readme explaining how the patching system works etc.

#3717721 - 01/14/13 06:29 PM Re: APOS Patching help [Re: Tigerwulf]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I would disagree as to other developers and infaces. While form follows function in that games with vary simular design likly have simular controls is a given. Its more likly that the interfaces are designed to look like each other so you game looks like whatever the BEST game from before was. If the actons of game are the same it no problem. If YOUR game has new and more things it can do, the interface will reflect that. Until it too gets copied by the next guy. Being closer to the edge of invovation can cut both ways sometimes. Like Krabb I do not see where the issue is. That is not to say it is not there. Not at all, but I am blind to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.