Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3700379 - 12/16/12 11:58 PM Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms)  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
Can't see any posts on here. Digital Mind Soft, the guys behind MoW and MoW:AS are creating a new game, to advance the MoW series called Call to Arms. They are crowd funding the improvements over on their site There is little info out atm other than:

New engine
Modern Day
Multiplayer focused
ETA Q1 2014

FaceBook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Call-to-Arms/439552772768512

Crowd Fund and product page
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/products/call-to-arms

I really enjoy the coop in MoW, so I hope they add this in. For me this is one to watch.

combtpilot.co.uk
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3700521 - 12/17/12 06:16 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Just my opinion but the only people who are going to crowd fund this project are MoW fans and all indications are this is a pretty small group that is apparently shrinking. If MoW, Red Tide, AS, Vietnam, and Condemned Heroes were as critically acclaimed (ie. successful, popular) as they are claiming they were, why are they leaving publisher 1C to do a crowd funded project? I wish them well, really I do, but my confidence in DMS was shattered long ago.....

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3700552 - 12/17/12 09:07 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
I have no idea how succesfull they were but its easy to want to go directly to the crowds instead of having a publisher take away most of your money. It makes a big difference in breaking even ... do you need to sell 20k units or 100.000?

And of course there's also the possible "creative freedom" issue.

Last edited by elanaiba; 12/17/12 09:26 AM.
#3700591 - 12/17/12 11:30 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
Maybe the publishers just want another MoW game in modern day, without engine improvments, hence the crowd funding.

combtpilot.co.uk
#3700892 - 12/17/12 07:17 PM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Desert_Ranger]  
heady89 Offline
heady89  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
Just my opinion but the only people who are going to crowd fund this project are MoW fans and all indications are this is a pretty small group that is apparently shrinking. If MoW, Red Tide, AS, Vietnam, and Condemned Heroes were as critically acclaimed (ie. successful, popular) as they are claiming they were, why are they leaving publisher 1C to do a crowd funded project? I wish them well, really I do, but my confidence in DMS was shattered long ago.....

Pessimistic people who can't appreciate something for what it is annoys me even if its you're subjective opinion.
Fact remains that Men of War series has one of the most impressive and deep micromanagement-systems in any RTS,
along with the most complex ballistic - physics model for projectiles. Add to that the really innovative Direct-Control
which was pioneered with the predecessor Soldiers heroes of ww2. No-one said its a full fledge rts sim but it has elements
in it which is very unique were games like Coh is left in the dust.

DMS is a small company and they've done what you can expect. They cleaned up the outfront series and released MOW.
After that they improved on it a hell of a lot with Assault Squad, its time they get to do their own thing.
I don't think a lot of people are disappointed in a modern move, if any game is justified to do it then its this game unlike
all the fps clones everywhere.

Men of War had the perfect mix between realism & fun, with the aim to actually provide for their fans instead of just the mass market.
Thankfully Kickstarter etc is the best thing that happent to PC gaming, we're seeing more and more proper games being developed for
their intended audiences & niches instead of just mainstream & casual clones, heck just look at "Takedown" a proper #%&*$# spritual
successor to the original R6 and Swat series.

Specifications;
Intel I7 950 3,1 GHZ
4890 OC 900mhz 1GB DDR5
6084 MB DDR3 PC8200 RAM
Saitek X52 , Track IR 5 , F!tality Headset
#3716113 - 01/11/13 08:21 PM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: heady89]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: heady89
Pessimistic people who can't appreciate something for what it is annoys me even if its you're subjective opinion.
Fact remains that Men of War series has one of the most impressive and deep micromanagement-systems in any RTS,
along with the most complex ballistic - physics model for projectiles. Add to that the really innovative Direct-Control
which was pioneered with the predecessor Soldiers heroes of ww2. No-one said its a full fledge rts sim but it has elements
in it which is very unique were games like Coh is left in the dust.

DMS is a small company and they've done what you can expect. They cleaned up the outfront series and released MOW.
After that they improved on it a hell of a lot with Assault Squad, its time they get to do their own thing.
I don't think a lot of people are disappointed in a modern move, if any game is justified to do it then its this game unlike
all the fps clones everywhere.

Men of War had the perfect mix between realism & fun, with the aim to actually provide for their fans instead of just the mass market.
Thankfully Kickstarter etc is the best thing that happent to PC gaming, we're seeing more and more proper games being developed for
their intended audiences & niches instead of just mainstream & casual clones, heck just look at "Takedown" a proper #%&*$# spritual
successor to the original R6 and Swat series.

Your opinion is no less subjective or more "right" than mine and you assume too much....and your tone is no less annoying! I was one of the strongest supporters of both SHoWW2 and FoW, took quite a bit of abuse on a few forums for it. But I'm not going to be a fanboi and turn a blind-eye to their shortcomings. The FoW/MoW franchise has alot going for it, but it is far from being the perfect mix of realism and fun you say it is. And if the lower review scores and negative comments are any indication, I'm not the only one to have this "opinion". That said, I'd love to see the MoW or CoH engine used for a modern warfare RTS. As I stated originally tho, I'm not confident DMS is capable of creating a game that I will enjoy because their last 4 attempts have provided more frustration than enjoyment. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong this time.

ps. I also happen to disagree with your comment that "Kickstarter etc is the best thing that happent to PC gaming"

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3716256 - 01/12/13 12:23 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Why?

#3716996 - 01/13/13 11:53 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: heady89]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Originally Posted By: heady89
Fact remains that Men of War series has one of the most impressive and deep micromanagement-systems in any RTS

I think this is the biggest turn off for me; having to manage each, individual men.

Rangers Lead the Way
#3717157 - 01/13/13 06:16 PM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
I think this is the biggest turn off for me; having to manage each, individual men.

That's the bit I love most about the MoW games, though I tend to do it in Squads / fireteams of men to make my life a bit easier.

A good micromanagement means that you can take on a greater number with Superior tactics. However it would be nice if you could tell the computer to take over selected men while to aim to take an area or set up somewhere else. Which is what I tend to do in coop without telling my partner biggrin

combtpilot.co.uk
#3740110 - 02/22/13 09:32 PM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
In case anyone is interested:

http://digitalmindsoft.eu/products/call-to-arms

This is only an alpha demo, but it shows potential, which isn't really saying much cuz almost all games show some potential!! The self-funding isn't going so well, but I guess we'll see....

#3740392 - 02/23/13 10:04 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Desert_Ranger]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
In case anyone is interested:

http://digitalmindsoft.eu/products/call-to-arms

This is only an alpha demo, but it shows potential, which isn't really saying much cuz almost all games show some potential!! The self-funding isn't going so well, but I guess we'll see....

Shows alot of potential to me.

I haven't played any of the men of war games. I've seen the word micromanagement and I really enjoy micromanagement, but only if the missions are made to allow it. Horrible when it becomes a clickfest.

#3740416 - 02/23/13 11:52 AM Re: Men of war Modern Day (Call to Arms) [Re: Fudge93]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
There is a new Alpha gameplay video now

combtpilot.co.uk

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.