Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3713856 - 01/08/13 04:59 AM Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
G'day all. Welcome to my very first attempt making an AAR of Achtung Panzer O.S.
In fact, it's my first AAR ever from a game. English is not my native language, so if you find any weird spelling & typos, I apologize.

The campaign I chose is Rakitnoe, playing as the Germans.

The situation from HQ (see below picture)
I have two divisions, 2.SS Division "Das Reich" and 11.Panzer-Division.
My orders are:
Cross the river "Mzha" near Rakitnoe, breach the enemy defence and push your forces to the outskirts of Kharkov.

Now this might sound simple for a tactical genious. I had to make some kind of plan how to move my forces.
Can I surprise the enemy? Wich units first? Checking fuel, fatique and morale. Will the enemy counterattack?
So I start moving some units from the 11.Pz Div north (see below picture) and moving the 2.SS Div DR over the river and east.

After doing that I can deploy my units more tactical on the map with a plan of attack.
I'm placing my infantry from the 11.Pz Div, the 4.Pz.Grenadier-regiment. in the woods.
I moved two platoons of light tanks, PzKpfw II ausf. F, close to the roads.
Plan is to make enemy contact with the infantry in the middel. The Panzers moving over the road quickly north.
When the Panzers leave the wooden area up north they move left and flank the enemy and support the infantry.

On the left side I had to do some planning too.
Here I moved units from the 4.Pz.Grenadier-Reg. and 209.Pz.Pionier-Bn. to the north close to the rivercrossing.
They need to take the rivercrossing and seek out the enemy defences in the flank.
Leaving units behind for reserve. When and where needed I could push them north.

Right. After deploying all my units the battle starts at 4am in the morning.
First battle takes place on a small part of the map. I have to fight two battles in total.

On my left flank I start moving the first units of the 4.Pz.Grenadiers-Reg and 209.Pz.Pioneer-Bn following the road to the river.
Those units are equipped with light armored halftracks, the Sd.Kfz. 251, most with MG's, some with 3.7cm PaK and a single 81mm mortar.
(Its dark, so yea the screenshots are kinda dark too. Sorry about that)

The bridge was damaged but they could cross the frozen river without problems. They got little resistance and more or less surprised the enemy.

On my right flank I started to move my Panzer II's over the roads up north in wooden area. Meanwhile the infantry in the middle moves up north too.

From here the battle got crazy. My infantry moved kinda fast through the woods and went in the open before my Panzers arrived.
The infantry were engaging it seems a large force of enemy infantry, supported by inf.Guns and light armor.
Before my Panzers arrived both sides lost a lot of men. The battle was intense.

Russian light armor fighting my men.

One Russian light tank was flipped over thanks to the artillery. Had no clue if it was friendly or ours.

The Russians stopped our attempt breaching the defences and I had to withdraw.
I lost too many infantry, lost some halftracks and a few Panzer II's were damaged.

After the cease fire from both ends, the result of my first battle was a draw! Both sides had many losses.
I did take some territory but all in all, the battle went very wrong.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3713858 - 01/08/13 04:59 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Second part of my APOS AAR.

The second battle I had to fight in the beginning of my campaign was located just outside west-Rakitnoe.
Here I was commanding units of 4.Pz.Grenadier-Reg, units from the 11.Pz.Recon-Bn and 61.Panzerjäger-Abteilung.
This battle was also fought between 4:00am - 5:30am.

I deployed the units and made some plans:
Infantry moving to the left flank and take position "Malachite 1".
Infantry north will scout the wooden area and report enemy movements.
A mix of Pz Grenadiers and Recon will move to west-Rakitnoe and take positions.
Four Marder III from the 61.Panzerjäger-Abteilung will move north on the road and assist when enemy armor is spotted.

Infantry north had first contact with enemy infantry, supported by inf.Guns and light personel carrier.
Later they also spotted T-34's. I rushed in the Panzerjägers. In total I lost two Marders during the fight by an artillery strike.
I had some intense fight with one of the T-34's. Infantry lost contact so I had to find him in the darkness of the night.
Finally I spotted the enemy tank.

I had to fire like 5 or 6 rounds into the beast before I did some serious damage. The animation of the crew is pretty cool.
Loading the gun, turning it and fire!

The T-34 caught fire but still moved slowly towards the Marder.

I had to stop the burning T-34 with one last round.

Also the infantry were confronted with a T-34. This brave Pz.Grenadier immobilized the tank with some grenades.

Meanwhile at Rakitnoe surroundings there was a battle already taking place.
The Russians were defending it with some help of inf.Guns and light armor.

A Sd.Kfz 232 from the 11.Pz.Recon-Bn near Rakitnoe. In the background flares going up.

This Sd.Kfz 250 was damaged during the fights and abandoned by his crew.

I moved two of my Marders to the east to support Recon.

One of them destroyed some light armor.

After an almost 90min fight both ends agreed for a cease fire.

Though I manage to get a victory I was not happy with the result. Too many losses and no territory won.

I hope you enjoyed reading this AAR of Achtung Panzer. I enjoyed making it and the game itself is really fun and intense.

#3713868 - 01/08/13 05:30 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Excellent AAR and screens, and you wrote better English then most of us Yanks. wink

#3713975 - 01/08/13 02:55 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Very nice, Wicked. Looking forward to seeing more.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3714063 - 01/08/13 06:32 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Absolutely excellent! I thought the dark screenshots really captured the mood. I applaud you. notworthy It is tough capturing the action in a real time game. Looking forward to part two.

#3714114 - 01/08/13 08:08 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
The start is a right pain for the Germans..as the Russians have plenty of armour and you have little to deal with it. I always do OK with the SS at first but the attack on Ratiknoe is a nightmare your usually counter attacked by a fair armoured force.

I desperately try and get as much anti armour units as I can up front to help stop them..if you make the wrong move son the strat layer be prepared for a heap of pain.

#3714127 - 01/08/13 08:47 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Thanks all for the kind comments.

@Wodin Yea..its not an easy campaign to start with but I really enjoy the gameplay. Awesome game!

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3714132 - 01/08/13 09:00 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Yeah it is an awesome game..currently using the alpha patch..

#3714309 - 01/09/13 04:43 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Enjoyed the AAR Wicked. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3714423 - 01/09/13 12:53 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Love the 2nd part. Again excellent screenshots!

I'm a bit worried about your casualties though.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3714427 - 01/09/13 01:02 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Temporarily relocated to Brita...
Excellent AAR. I too have been playing this one recently, and though I've been fairly successful at breaking through with what I would call "moderate casualties", you really need to make sure you have your heavy anti-armor up there to help. I made the mistake of fighting my first battle without anything heavier than a Pz II, and I ended up being utterly powerless against the T-34 and 2 KV-1s that showed up. Thankfully the T-34 got destroyed by enemy arty, and the 2 KV-1s simply got left behind after having their tracks knocked off (though not before they apparently ran out of ammo killing my poor half-tracks/infantry). At least you had some Marders up front. =)

Ebola for you!
#3714472 - 01/09/13 02:47 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Whoa! Very atmospheric!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3714668 - 01/09/13 07:41 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Great AAR, thanks for posting your story. Would love to read more, especially before taken the plunge myself.

#3714711 - 01/09/13 08:36 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Samwise Offline
Samwise  Offline

Wild West
Awesome AAR Wicked. This is one of the things I love about Sim HQ, not only does one get great work like this, but one also gets exposed to new games that look really cool.

#3714745 - 01/09/13 09:19 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Second turn of my Rakitnoe campaign, winter '43 march.

Situation after my first contacts with the enemy.
The Russians stopped my attack near Rakitnoe and even moved forward a little.
On my left I moved the 2.SS Division "Das Reich" north in the wooden area's.
On the right I moved as many units I could of the 1.Panzer-Division north towards Rakitnoe in the hope I could do better.
Recon and the Panzer Grenadiers could need all the help since some are stuck in and near that village.

After moving my units in the operational map I started to deploy them, ready for battle.
I have to fight 4 battles in this turn. One battle on the left in wooden area with the 1.SS Div.
One battle in the middle and two battles in and around Rakitnoe. I'm not looking forward to the last two.
The battles are fought starting round 8am in the morning.

I started with the battle far left, fighting the Russian 104.Rifle Bde.
I deployed the units of the 2.SS Div, mostly infantry, with few half-tracks.

I had two Sd.Kfz. 251/9 (picture below) and infantry on my right flank.

In the middle I moved infantry forward, followed by one Sd.Kfz. 251/2, a mortar carrier. (picture below)

Far left of this battle I moved a team of 3 half-tracks, two Sd.Kfz. 250's with MG's and one Sd.Kfz. 251/10 with 3.7cm PaK.
Their task is to recon my left flank following the road. (picture below)

Infantry moved slowly deep into the woods, searching the enemy.

Infantry on the right flank, supported by the "Stummels" had first contact and they managed to drive them towards my infantry in the centre.
The actual battle was short and intense. I had minimal losses. The enemy lost many men and panicked. The 104.Rifle was broken.

Last edited by Wicked; 01/11/13 04:35 PM.
#3714970 - 01/10/13 04:05 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Loving these AAR's. I like the look of this game. Is there a steep learning curve or is it relatively easy to pick up?

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#3714988 - 01/10/13 05:09 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Smosh]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Originally Posted By: Smosh
Loving these AAR's. I like the look of this game. Is there a steep learning curve or is it relatively easy to pick up?

...and does it come with a tutorial mission?

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3715010 - 01/10/13 06:34 AM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Another cool read. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3715152 - 01/10/13 02:43 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Most excellent!

#3715237 - 01/10/13 04:31 PM Re: Achtung Panzer [Operation Star] AAR [Re: Wicked]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

@Smosh and Legend.

Im new to the game myself. And its not that difficult to start with. In the beginning you are probably overwhelmed when you check all the buttons and icons. Sure, its not a game that you learn in 10min. I started with quick battles. Here you can pick a map, your units of choice and start a battle. In quick battle you can practice the orders of your units and see how they move before you make contact with the enemy. There is no tutorial mission. You can check youtube for gameplay movies.
Check here at SimHQ, the forum Graviteam Sims and check Graviteam.com forums. There is also a demo of Achtung Panzer Operation Star (APOS). When you decide buying it may I suggest to buy from GamersGate. They have the most updated game and most updated DLC's for the game.

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.