Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3711716 - 01/04/13 08:37 AM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
The interior of BISHER'S HOUSE. A darkened room with a very conspiratorial atmosphere. DAVEP63 and JEDI MASTER are seated at a table at one end of the room. SLIPBALL, dressed in Activist gear — black robes and a red sash around his head — is standing by a plan on the wall. He is addressing an audience of about eight MASKED Activists. Their faces are partially hidden.

SLIP: Bloody 1C! They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.

BISH:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
DAVE:
Yes.
JEDI:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
SLIP:
All right, JEDI. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?
BISH:
17 nicely modelled kites.
SLIP:
Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
JEDI:
And the full mission builder!
BISH:
Oh yes... the mission builder, SLIP, you have to give them that.
SLIP:
All right, I'll grant you that the kites and the mission builder are two things that 1C have done...
BISH:
And complex engine management...they flies so real.
SLIP:
(sharply) Well yes obviously CEM... the CEM goes without saying. But apart from the kites, mission builder and CEM...
Another Masked Activist:
Scripting...
Other Masked Voices:
Loadouts... sounds... hunnerds of objects...
SLIP:
Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front:
And the Su26...
DAVE:
Oh yes! True!
JEDI:
Yeah. That one has a laser cannon, SLIP.
Masked Activist at Back:
Vehicles!
BISH:
And there was all them patches.
DAVE:
Yes, they certainly did a bit of patching... (general nodding)... let's face it, it's not such a bad game these days.

(more general murmurs of agreement)
SLIP:
All right... all right... but apart from the kites, and mission builder and CEM and scripting and loadouts and sounds and hundreds of objects and vehicles and the Su26 and all the patches... what has 1C ever done for us?
JEDI:
Battle of Stalingrad!
SLIP:
(very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Stalingrad, yes... shut up!

[Linked Image]
#3712029 - 01/04/13 07:06 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: HeinKill]  
Taxman Offline
Taxman  Offline

Portland, OR USA
Thanks HeinKill,

Been following this from forum to forum, never seems to change. popcorn
Just waiting for the next round, now back to lurking wave2

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
The interior of BISHER'S HOUSE. A darkened room with a very conspiratorial atmosphere. DAVEP63 and JEDI MASTER are seated at a table at one end of the room. SLIPBALL, dressed in Activist gear — black robes and a red sash around his head — is standing by a plan on the wall. He is addressing an audience of about eight MASKED Activists. Their faces are partially hidden.

SLIP: Bloody 1C! They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.

BISH:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
DAVE:
Yes.
JEDI:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
SLIP:
All right, JEDI. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?
BISH:
17 nicely modelled kites.
SLIP:
Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
JEDI:
And the full mission builder!
BISH:
Oh yes... the mission builder, SLIP, you have to give them that.
SLIP:
All right, I'll grant you that the kites and the mission builder are two things that 1C have done...
BISH:
And complex engine management...they flies so real.
SLIP:
(sharply) Well yes obviously CEM... the CEM goes without saying. But apart from the kites, mission builder and CEM...
Another Masked Activist:
Scripting...
Other Masked Voices:
Loadouts... sounds... hunnerds of objects...
SLIP:
Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front:
And the Su26...
DAVE:
Oh yes! True!
JEDI:
Yeah. That one has a laser cannon, SLIP.
Masked Activist at Back:
Vehicles!
BISH:
And there was all them patches.
DAVE:
Yes, they certainly did a bit of patching... (general nodding)... let's face it, it's not such a bad game these days.

(more general murmurs of agreement)
SLIP:
All right... all right... but apart from the kites, and mission builder and CEM and scripting and loadouts and sounds and hundreds of objects and vehicles and the Su26 and all the patches... what has 1C ever done for us?
JEDI:
Battle of Stalingrad!
SLIP:
(very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Stalingrad, yes... shut up!
popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

Taxes are my part time profession, flying is my passion.
#3712417 - 01/05/13 10:45 AM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
LOL...I haven't talked that much since the farmer caught me and his daughter in the barn

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3712923 - 01/06/13 01:12 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
I B Spectre Offline
I B Spectre  Offline

Florida, USA
1. Too bad Oleg's vision of CloD were never fully realized. Too bad the plug was pulled before it reached full maturity.

2. It's encouraging to see 777/1C furthering the genre, but I'm not convinced of its chances for initial international success.

Many, if not most, of the potential buyers will draw comparisons with the original IL-2 in its current form. Given that, BoS will seem very neutered in scope and it remains to be seen if the air combat aspect of the Battle of Stalingrad has enough wow-factor, particularly if ground forces will not be modeled (note: LOFT did say infantry will not be modeled, hopefully that does not extend to mechanized assets). While the Soviet air aspects of WWII are huge, they are less familiar in the West than the Luftwaffe which engaged the Allies on both fronts. I predict most western interests in BoS will fly German while former Soviet interests will gravitate toward Russian aircraft. If BoS can sufficiently impress early on and rapidly follow-up with expansion into the West, I think it might be a financial success. Given the niche market of flight sims in general, success outside of Russia will be hampered if the focus remains on Eastern Front. Just my opinion and I've been wrong before.

Last edited by I B Spectre; 01/06/13 01:14 PM.
#3712970 - 01/06/13 03:23 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol that was great Heinkill biggrin

#3713104 - 01/06/13 08:00 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I think 777 Studios and Loft will do a decent job on BOS. The current version of the 777 game engine can't do what I'd like to see in a combat flight sim, but that doesn't mean it won't improve. In the meantime I've tried to get into WT offline, but found it an exercise in frustration with the teleporting and time-limits. The best experience for me is still HeinKill's REDUX. At least there are a few developments with potential, that can be followed.

WT is still in beta and it remains to be seen if that development will have enough options that will interest the IL-2 crowd. The World War option sounds interesting. The WT Beta is updated quite often, and I take it for spin each time looking for improvements I'd like to see.

There will probably be a number of delays in the BOS release. Delays can usually be guaranteed in this type of work although the development has a basicly complete game engine. That said their game engine will have to be improved, especially the amount of objects that can be placed in any mission. I'm looking forward to following the development.

ATAG and Desastersoft are modding and making missions for COD. ATAG have apparently fixed the high altitude FM, and are modding other aspects of the aircraft FM's. Although FM modding can cause alot of controversy, but I have faith that ATAG will keep it historical to the best of their ability. ATAG are hinting they will be able to mod a number of features that the sim crowd will like. They were working on an RRR mod that interested me. Although everything they change/fix appears to create other bugs, which delays their patch. That said the COD game engine still has alot of potential, and a group of modders trying to fix the options I'm most interested in.

I'm also following the Occulus Rift development, it's a new Virtual Reality headset that could revolutionize combat flight sims. http://www.oculusvr.com/news/

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3713137 - 01/06/13 08:59 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: FlatSpinMan
Good god. Actually, Good Richard Dawkins! This kind of stuff is why we moderate the BoS forums so strictly. Achieves nothing other than to antagonize fellow simmers and poison the sim genre for potential players and even developers.
BTW, this is me posting in my personal capacity as I am in no way a mod here at SimHQ.

Well I hope you are not like the Mods on some other boards when it comes to the Hungarian and the 'aviation expert'.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3714048 - 01/08/13 06:14 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: Chivas]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chivas
I think 777 Studios and Loft will do a decent job on BOS. The current version of the 777 game engine can't do what I'd like to see in a combat flight sim, but that doesn't mean it won't improve. In the meantime I've tried to get into WT offline, but found it an exercise in frustration with the teleporting and time-limits. The best experience for me is still HeinKill's REDUX. At least there are a few developments with potential, that can be followed.

WT is still in beta and it remains to be seen if that development will have enough options that will interest the IL-2 crowd. The World War option sounds interesting. The WT Beta is updated quite often, and I take it for spin each time looking for improvements I'd like to see.

There will probably be a number of delays in the BOS release. Delays can usually be guaranteed in this type of work although the development has a basicly complete game engine. That said their game engine will have to be improved, especially the amount of objects that can be placed in any mission. I'm looking forward to following the development.

ATAG and Desastersoft are modding and making missions for COD. ATAG have apparently fixed the high altitude FM, and are modding other aspects of the aircraft FM's. Although FM modding can cause alot of controversy, but I have faith that ATAG will keep it historical to the best of their ability. ATAG are hinting they will be able to mod a number of features that the sim crowd will like. They were working on an RRR mod that interested me. Although everything they change/fix appears to create other bugs, which delays their patch. That said the COD game engine still has alot of potential, and a group of modders trying to fix the options I'm most interested in.

I'm also following the Occulus Rift development, it's a new Virtual Reality headset that could revolutionize combat flight sims. http://www.oculusvr.com/news/

Hi Chivas, where you been?

Good post, i also expect a bit of slippige in the release of BOS, im thinking middle of 2014.
Also interested in what the mods can come up with, though how much they can tinker with the hardcoded stuff i dont know.

I still think BOS is going to be a test of the engine and the player base, can it win over the IL2 and COD crowd? if it does well im sure they will be looking into improving the engine with 64bit and DX11 for future releases.

#3714064 - 01/08/13 06:32 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

I still think BOS is going to be a test of the engine and the player base, can it win over the IL2 and COD crowd? if it does well im sure they will be looking into improving the engine with 64bit and DX11 for future releases.

Read the forums at il2sturmovik and you get the impression the answer is a resounding "no."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3714074 - 01/08/13 06:59 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Hi Chivas, where you been?

Good post, i also expect a bit of slippige in the release of BOS, im thinking middle of 2014.
Also interested in what the mods can come up with, though how much they can tinker with the hardcoded stuff i dont know.

Hi Furbs, I've been losing interest in gaming for sometime. I knew because of the slow progress of the new IL-2 game engine it could be cancelled at any moment, but it was still hard to take, especially when there is nothing coming to the market anytime soon with the features I prefer. The only game engine currently providing the FMB, scripting, and triggering required to make online/offline missions I would like to see, was the COD game engine. The good news is the ATAG group have made significant progress on the RRR, and FM code, but it remains to be seen how much progress they will be able to make without the source code.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3714108 - 01/08/13 07:47 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

We will just have to wait and see what BOS brings, i guess we all have to make a choice when the time comes.

#3714176 - 01/08/13 10:50 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri - USA
what is RRR?

Race you to the Mucky Duck!
#3714349 - 01/09/13 06:19 AM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: Uriah]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Uriah
what is RRR?

Refuel, Rearm, and Repair, but they may only be working on the first two. ATAG have apparently fixed the high altitude FM aswell and have improved the FM on some aircraft. That said they've probably created bugs that need to fixed before they can release their patch. Visit the ATAG site for better info on what they are working on. It could take quite sometime before anything is released.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3714375 - 01/09/13 08:47 AM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Will be interesting to see what they come up with and how long it takes, bugs etc.

I wish them well.

There are some rumors around they are able to get at the source code, though how true that is im not sure, personally i think its bolox. smile

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 01/09/13 09:43 AM.
#3714474 - 01/09/13 02:50 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

Quote:
i think its bolox.

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#3714504 - 01/09/13 03:32 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
Good god. Actually, Good Richard Dawkins! This kind of stuff is why we moderate the BoS forums so strictly. Achieves nothing other than to antagonize fellow simmers and poison the sim genre for potential players and even developers.
BTW, this is me posting in my personal capacity as I am in no way a mod here at SimHQ.

Well I hope you are not like the Mods on some other boards when it comes to the Hungarian and the 'aviation expert'.

Que? Missing the references there, I fear.

#3714611 - 01/09/13 06:37 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

I never understood, and still don't understand, the point of refuel/repair/rearm. It's quicker to jump into another plane if delays are in place for performing RRR. Aircraft aren't "lost" online, so they don't reduce the number of aircraft available to each side.

The only place I've seen it make sense, although I wholly disagreed with it, was in another online title where individuals used it to artificially extend their kill streak per flight. Instead of a flight being from take off to landing, it was until the aircraft was exited (either through landing and exiting to get a new or different plane, or bailing out). Therefore people would rearm and refuel to extend their kill total/streak per flight by not exiting their aircraft.

If there was a way that damaged aircraft were taken out of service for landing and exiting to get a new plane, which reduced the available pool of planes then it sort of makes sense - but needs an appropriate delay associated with it. Obviously repairing an aircraft would be days to weeks. Rearming and refueling would take a significant amount of time, an amount anyone on a computer would be unwilling to sit through.

#3714624 - 01/09/13 06:55 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: JimBobb]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

It should be just re-arm, re-fuel.

But i think at this point they are just testing what is possible.

#3714640 - 01/09/13 07:11 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: Chivas]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

The only game engine currently providing the FMB, scripting, and triggering required to make online/offline missions I would like to see, was the COD game engine.

Have you paid any attention to the one in DCS? I'm no mission builder, and I don't work with them in ANY title, so I literally have no idea what one could do versus another. It's not WWII right now, but the P-51 is in and the potential exists for more WWII planes if the market materializes.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3714782 - 01/09/13 09:56 PM Re: BoS what we know so far [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

Que? Missing the references there, I fear.

I shall not utter their names here, for fear that they would materialize.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.