Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3712773 - 01/06/13 02:21 AM Dining etiquette question for you European Types  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Son is making a trip to Poland (near Warsaw) as a member of his high school band. My wife and I are actually thinking of taking off and going with him so we can check out some areas in central Europe.

We had a minor argument tonight over table manners. I am unfamiliar with this whole 'continental' method of eating. Do Europeans always eat with the fork in the left hand or is this only when using a knife to cut meat? I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunities to show myself to be the 'Ugly American' but hopefully I don't do it with some local cuisine in my mouth.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3712775 - 01/06/13 02:24 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Does it matter?

#3712777 - 01/06/13 02:25 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Should go with your handy-ness.

I'm right handed so I cut with knife in right and fork in left, but eat with fork in right when there's nothing to cut...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3712786 - 01/06/13 02:40 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Sim]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Sim
Does it matter?

Apparently it does to my son's band teacher, there is a specific mention of this in his handout before he travels there. Honestly, any teenage boy that doesn't try to slough it out of a bowl like a pig should be considered well mannered these days.

#3712792 - 01/06/13 02:53 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: SimHQ Tom Cofield
Does it matter?

Honestly, any teenage boy that doesn't try to slough it out of a bowl like a pig should be considered well mannered these days.

Amen. For crying out loud.... As long as you're using suitable implements, why should anybody give a rip about which hand holds what?

Yes, I am an ugly american. :P

#3712793 - 01/06/13 02:53 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Wow, we never went overseas back in high school. I'd say put the knife in whatever hand is most coordinated smile

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3712797 - 01/06/13 03:03 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I'd say it depends on the occasion (fancy restaurant vs. bar with sawdust on the floor wink ), or if the folks that invite him to dinner care themselves. I'd say do as the hosts do, and he should be fine (when in Rome...).

"Continental" basics:

I've never been to Poland, but here in neighboring Germany, when you want to display good table manners, you keep your fork always in the left hand, the knife in the right, during the whole meal (except when reaching for a drink or a napkin). Use the knife to cut, and to place all the food that you're not picking with the fork onto the fork. If you pick food with the fork, turn it "upside down" (curved bottom up). And hold fork, knife and spoons at the handle, not close at the front end.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3712799 - 01/06/13 03:08 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

"Continental" basics:

I've never been to Poland, but here in neighboring Germany, when you want to display good table manners, you keep your fork always in the left hand, the knife in the right, during the whole meal (except when reaching for a drink or a napkin). Use the knife to cut, and to place all the food that you're not picking with the fork onto the fork. If you pick food with the fork, turn it "upside down" (curved bottom up). And hold fork, knife and spoons at the handle, not close at the front end.

Um yeah, this would definitely be too complicated for most 'Muricans. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3712800 - 01/06/13 03:08 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Thanks Jayhawk. What about spoon useage? Spoon in left hand as well?

#3712801 - 01/06/13 03:09 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

"Continental" basics:

No, I just don't think the average American thinks about this stuff.

#3712804 - 01/06/13 03:10 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
WOW, over here, its a free for all at the table for most of the 16 to 17 year old boys. More like, who needs
silverware when you have hands. Good lord, teaching my son table manners has been a long hard battle.
But I think I am getting somewhere. At least my 16 year old will use the silverware now, who cares
what hand, as long as the food is not hitting me. Yep, we are true rednecks over here. My son says
I should come sit in on few school lunches. Told him no thanks, I want to keep it down.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3712805 - 01/06/13 03:11 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

"Continental" basics:

No, I just don't think the average American thinks about this stuff.
Yes that is true but I had to exaggerate a bit for comedic effect.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3712806 - 01/06/13 03:16 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Having been to London, Paris, and all over Italy, I'd say it doesn't matter. I'm a right-handed fork holder & switch hitter when it comes time to cut although I just naturally do just about everything Jayhawk said.

You're far, far more likely to offend someone by talking than by eating smile

#3712807 - 01/06/13 03:16 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: JimK]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: JimK
WOW, over here, its a free for all at the table for most of the 16 to 17 year old boys. More like, who needs
silverware when you have hands. Good lord, teaching my son table manners has been a long hard battle.
But I think I am getting somewhere. At least my 16 year old will use the silverware now, who cares
what hand, as long as the food is not hitting me. Yep, we are true rednecks over here. My son says
I should come sit in on few school lunches. Told him no thanks, I want to keep it down.

Yeah, it is sometimes like this at our house

My wife gets really upset with Daniel if he acts like a total pig though.

#3712811 - 01/06/13 03:26 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
Well, if simple table manners seem to be so difficult then I better not mention
on how to eat a banana with a knife and a fork. winkngrin

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
#3712813 - 01/06/13 03:33 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Does it matter?

Apparently it does to my son's band teacher, there is a specific mention of this in his handout before he travels there. Honestly, any teenage boy that doesn't try to slough it out of a bowl like a pig should be considered well mannered these days.

You can have many things written down. It really doesn't matter unless you going to extremely fancy restaurants. Observe and follow. Simple as that.. It's not like you can embarrass someone by using a "wrong" hand.

#3712820 - 01/06/13 03:53 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Fnord Offline
Fnord  Offline

Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not from Poland, nor have I been there, but I know people from there. And here is what I've learnt from eating with them/:
-Fork in the left hand, knife in the right. Place your pointy finger at the base of the curved part (pointing up) when using your fork (same here in Sweden). Knife is for cutting everything that needs to be cut. Exception to this rule is when you eat food that is very awkward to eat this way, at which point it is alright to turn the for around.
-Accepting food is a sign of appreciation. Don't be overly modest, because that might make you look ungraceful (something I learnt the hard way when i was visiting a friend's family. Her mother basically expected of me to eat, but I was not hungry at the moment, so I turned down food, at which point she (the mother) basically wanted to force-feed me cookies and other sweets, because "I had to eat something"). Also, don't be afraid to help yourself to second servings, or ask for more, as this seem to be seen as a complement.
-Diner conversation seem to be expected, so don't sit quietly guarding your own food.

Thanks Jayhawk. What about spoon useage? Spoon in left hand as well?

Use your primary hand.

Also, be prepared for some pretty "heavy" and filling food. Polish food don't seem to contain a lot of spices, but the main ingredients themselves gives it a rather rich taste.
Also, if you are given alcohol to the food, be expected for it to be rather hit or miss.

Last edited by Fnord; 01/06/13 03:56 AM.
#3712824 - 01/06/13 04:02 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
I'll expect the alcohol for us but for the kids it is an express no no. I have to watch it though, I am a relative lightweight these days.

#3712826 - 01/06/13 04:04 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA

#3712827 - 01/06/13 04:06 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
It'll be obvious to the hosts whether or not your son has table manners and employs them every day.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.