Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3709112 - 12/31/12 01:23 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Well, it also seems that the advantage to stand alone mode is that you retain the ability to go back to a standard Warthog setup seamlessly because you do not cut the soldered connection from the PC board of the Warthog, but you lose the TARGET programmability. However, I wonder if you first program in TARGET, the Warthog throttle, that the throttle, and maybe the stick also, will retain the programming, and you can then switch to the FSSB3 stand alone mode???

This is interesting...

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3709113 - 12/31/12 01:27 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Damn! The shipping was a huge cost! Like 33 Euros!

I still ordered it though... This is intriguing. And I own an R1 and an R2, so I know they are VERY well made.

I'll let you know what it is like when it arrives.

-Skater

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#3709118 - 12/31/12 01:39 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Nice!

Been looking around for that mod that pit builders use, the one wherein they could mount their Cougar stick on a "box" just like the real Viper stick.... doesn't look like the R1 or R2, but doesn't seem like it's a FCC mod either. Any ideas?

- Ice
#3709205 - 12/31/12 04:47 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
recoilfx Offline
recoilfx  Offline

Sakter, please let us know how well it works! I'm really interested! I wonder how the new center play will aid flying the prop planes. Also, does anyone know what the warranty/return policy is for RealSimulator?

#3709218 - 12/31/12 05:23 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Skater]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

You're only cutting a grounding wire.

_IF_ it doesn't work properly without it...it would sure be easy to reconnect.

Originally Posted By: Skater
Well, it also seems that the advantage to stand alone mode is that you retain the ability to go back to a standard Warthog setup seamlessly because you do not cut the soldered connection from the PC board of the Warthog, but you lose the TARGET programmability. However, I wonder if you first program in TARGET, the Warthog throttle, that the throttle, and maybe the stick also, will retain the programming, and you can then switch to the FSSB3 stand alone mode???

This is interesting...

-Skater

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3709265 - 12/31/12 09:59 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Hrvoje Offline
Hrvoje  Offline

So from other answers, i figured if i want to keep Target programming ability I need to use upgrade method (ie cutting the wire) - Am I correct on this?

#3709516 - 12/31/12 06:15 PM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Teej]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Teej
You're only cutting a grounding wire.

_IF_ it doesn't work properly without it...it would sure be easy to reconnect.

Originally Posted By: Skater

This is interesting...

-Skater

True, but not everyone is that handy or mechanically (electronically ?) inclined... Many people have never used a soldering iron. Also, there may be people who want to switch back and forth multiple times, I'm in that camp.

If I do the upgrade method, I will build in a QD for that wire.

-Skater

#3709752 - 01/01/13 03:12 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Hrvoje]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Hrvoje
So from other answers, i figured if i want to keep Target programming ability I need to use upgrade method (ie cutting the wire) - Am I correct on this?

Correct.

-Skater

#3709882 - 01/01/13 09:05 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
horus0129 Offline
horus0129  Offline

Republic of Korea
Finally warthog force mod! (I'm not sure it should be called warthog mod)
It has some interesting fresh features like digital calibration and independent stand-alone/warthog upgrade capabilities.

But after I've read its data sheet, I found that the max applied force of R3 is only 10lb.
Why is it far weaker than old fssbs? IIRC, max applied force of R1/R2 is 35lb.
Since my R2 has been set to 10lb, sometimes I feel it's a bit too sensitive.
I'm waiting for some specific reviews about it.

WIN7 x64 SP1
i5 3570k @4.4 / 8G RAM / 660ti / SSD 128GB / HDD 1TB
24inch LED monitor DVI + 8inch LED monitor RGB x 2

TM HOTAS Cougar FSSB + TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle + DIY Rudder pedals + TM MFD COUGAR

Fanatec CSW + CSP + DIY handbrake
SLI-M + GI max
TrackIR4 pro
#3710131 - 01/01/13 07:28 PM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Hrvoje Offline
Hrvoje  Offline

After reading other posts, now i am left wondering if after using r3 mod is the stick behaving like f-16 HOTAS - like digital stick that has no movement but works by force sensing?

#3710136 - 01/01/13 07:39 PM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Hrvoje]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hrvoje
After reading other posts, now i am left wondering if after using r3 mod is the stick behaving like f-16 hotas - like digital stick that has no movement but works by force sensing?

That's the whole point of the FSSB products, yes.

However, do keep in mind that the actual F-16 stick does actually move a few millimeters, to give the user a better sense of how the forces are being applied to the stick without detracting from actually being a force-sensing stick. I don't know if the FSSB mods replicate this; the FCC mods do, and the Saitek X-65F allegedly doesn't.

#3710152 - 01/01/13 08:00 PM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

I'd be a little hesitant about this product so far based on the numbers they put out.

On the R1/R2, you could dial in the amount of force you wanted from options of 6, 8, 10 or 21 pounds of force. The information in the manual indicated that you were best off not applying more than 35# of force to the stick and that things would break if you exceeded 45#.

Instead of 35/45 pounds, the R3 is specifying 10/20 as the physical limits...implying that full deflection probably comes on at no more than about 6# (since the "35#" of the R1 represented over 150% of the max control input of 21#)

Really seems to me they intended the R3 to be used still as a desktop stick only not a cockpit mount - it would be way too easy to give too much force with a cockpit mount.

#3710942 - 01/03/13 03:55 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
I should have my R3 by tomorrow. I will probably be testing by tomorrow night, but the QD for the black wire will take a few days, as I have to see what the inside of the R3 is like, and what I can fit in there as a long term solution.

-Skater

#3711620 - 01/04/13 03:52 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Got my R3 today. Serial Number 0002.

It's a nice little compact package in a water tight padded Pelican box. Looks like the same case they shipped some limited edition Invicta Russian Diver watches in a few years back. Very nice. Pictures to come.

-Skater

#3711657 - 01/04/13 05:17 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Ugh! One of the four mounting screws snapped it's shaft in the middle while being unscrewed. Now the remainder of the screw shaft is still inside the mounting post. Considering that this is basically zero-time Cougar, I'm pretty unimpressed with the parts quality here ThrustMaster! Grrrr!

Any ideas how I can get that shaft out guys?

-Skater

#3711660 - 01/04/13 05:22 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Skater]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio
easy out.

it is harder to use an easy out on a very small screw or bolt.

you might have to drill the broken part out and then re-thread the hole.

#3711689 - 01/04/13 06:40 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC

I can't seem to get the stand-alone version to work. No driver to run it. Anyone got any ideas before I switch to the fully programmable TARGET version?

-Skater

#3711699 - 01/04/13 07:05 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Uh-oh... I think my Warthog throttle is bricked... Not being detected at all. When I plug it in, only 4 of the 5 LED's light up. No Windows recognition, and no device loaded in the device manager...

Damn.

Time to call TM support.

The stick seems to get detected properly, it has FW revision 11 on it, but I can't load the FW Rev. 20 that comes with the new TM drivers.

WTF???

-Skater

#3711959 - 01/04/13 05:42 PM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: kramer]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: kramer
easy out.

it is harder to use an easy out on a very small screw or bolt.

you might have to drill the broken part out and then re-thread the hole.

It's pretty small...

This won't work on something with that diameter.

Any other ideas? I honestly can't think of a way to get this out without destroying the post hole. The TM metal is pretty soft and will break easily.

-Skater

#3712861 - 01/06/13 06:33 AM Re: FSSB R3 for Warthog now available [Re: Panther]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Dril a hole into the screw with a smaller drill bit...like a 1 or 1.5mm bit. Don't drill too far at first.

You might then be able to jam a small screwdriver in and back it out.

If not, drill farther, then tap it (make sure to drill a hole you have a proper size tap for)....then put a bit of jb weld on a screw and screw it in. Wait 'til the JB dries, and unscrew.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.