Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
29th November 2012
US #500 (currently offline)
2 vs. 1 firefight just S/SW of Polana
======================================

Looked like 'Hero' skins. The aftermath :-

Corpse of 2nd hostile. Player name :- 'magget corpse'......how appropriate smile

Crawling on broken legs back towards 1st hostile. Player name:- 'Thantos'

Looting Thantos. He had a morphine injector in his Alice pack. Thank God for that.

Strange, I thought.

They look like guys in Hero outfits but the two of them engaged me without provocation. I did not know they were there until one of them shot first. Even then, I did not return fire and retreated across a wide swath of open field sprinting for the treeline. The shots were close.... a double-tap and had the sound signature of a 7.62mm. None of the shots connected.

I ran because, quite frankly, I was out of my depth. My Lee Enfield was powerful but just too slow for CQB. Had a 1911 too but did not fancy my chances with pistol against an automatic 7.62.

The 1st shooter appeared to have fired just below the crest of a small hill. I did a 180 degree and ran south downhill back the way I came. He must have lost sight of me and hesitated what to do. By the time he broke cover and came after me, I already sprinted across an open field and hid behind a pine tree putting a couple hundred yards between us.

I waited under cover. Saw him running across the field. When he got closer, I leaned out from the tree and popped off two rounds from the Lee Enfield. Sight alignment looked good but it didn't appear to have any effect. I retreated and kept running South across another smaller swath of open area towards a second treeline.

As I negotiated another row of pine trees and looked back towards my pursuer, I saw his buddy hiding behind some foliage looking at the direction from where I came. I literally ran past this 2nd guy only feet away from him. I am still too far from the bunch of trees in the south and no way of getting to any reasonable cover. Given the option of continuing to run and getting shot in the back, I decided to engage the 2nd guy.

The 2nd guy had a pistol. We both fired around the same time. He hosed off a couple of rounds. I was hit but still combative. The slow fire rate of the Lee Enfield forced me to take deliberate aim. I hit him twice aiming for center mass. He collapsed into a heap.

About a hundred feet further back, the first shooter caught up and appeared from behind the pine trees. He fired a burst. One of the rounds broke my leg and I went prone. He was standing upright and I aimed the Lee Enfield for his center mass and fired. He slumped.

About 30 feet in front, the 2nd bad guy with the pistol started to regain consciousness. I switched to my secondary and the 2nd guy begun crawling towards me. As he got closer, he did an evasive roll and fired one round when he came out of that maneuver. He missed. I emptied an entire 1911 magazine into him.

I switched back to the primary, got up into a crouch and put another round into the 1st guy to make sure he wasn't getting up.

I was in bad shape. Broken leg. Pain shakes. Bleeding and blood loss. My screen was shades of gray and I can hear my character's hearbeat. I bandaged myself. Ate the few can of beans I had on me and crawled to loot the bodies.

When I opened the pistol guy’s pack, it became clear why he crawled towards me and did the evasive roll. He had no more ammo on him. He shot most of his rounds on our 1st exchange. Although he hit me, it was a G17....peashooter.

When he came around for the second exchange, he must have had his legs broken (why would he crawled ?), in pain shakes (cannot aim properly and hence a need to close the range to point blank if possible) and had only one round in his gun (he fired only once after the evasive role).

I looted and hid his body. Then crawled towards the other guy. Passed out when I reached the corpse. Woke up and lifted an Alice pack off him with GPS, morphine and a bunch of goodies including a Mk.48 machine gun.

A few things mystify me:-

2 guys in Hero outfits behaving like bandits. I was in non-bandit TSA clothes, did not initiate hostilities, and clearly in full retreat. The guy still ran a couple hundred yards across an open field to hunt me down.

His buddy apparently was waiting in cover a few hundred yards down range from where he fired. I got flushed and ran right towards the 2nd 'Hero'. Even the SAS couldn’t set up a more ideal ambush than these two.

They are lousy shots. I can excuse the guy with the G17 peashooter but the guy with the Mk48 ? At that range (less than a 100 feet) and only a leg shot ? Really ? Thank God for some people’s marksmanship smile

On that high note, I bring an end to my time with DayZ Public servers. Just too many hackers on that domain now. Found a great community over at GB Wireworld Private Hive. Got myself whitelisted and will be calling that venue my ‘home’ from henceforth.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3696066 - 12/10/12 06:32 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
Great story Harry! Those type of encounters are an adrenaline rush for sure.

The private hives seem to be a lot better regarding the hacking problem. Hopefully the standalone will eliminate it completely.

#3696071 - 12/10/12 06:43 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Great story!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3696073 - 12/10/12 07:08 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
That even had my heart pumping. lol

Definetly not heros. They have just been giving each other blood transfusions for too long.

#3696092 - 12/10/12 08:59 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Snakeyes]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: sSnakeyes
Great story Harry! Those type of encounters are an adrenaline rush for sure.

The private hives seem to be a lot better regarding the hacking problem. Hopefully the standalone will eliminate it completely.

DayZ can be hours of routine (and even boredom) punctuated by short spells of sheer terror. There is just so much to lose ....all your hard-earned gear and pride......and so much to gain in victory, knowing full well the cost to the guy you just killed. Every scalp in this game is a trophy. I love the entire premise.

I had my first brief session in a whitelisted private hive last night located in the UK. The improvements in maturity of the members and stability were quite apparent. They were running DayZ v1.7.5 which is excellent on initial impressions. Tons lot more zombies and more capable. New loot. Way, way better status/health icons. Server had 35 vehicles.

And not a damn script kiddie in sight. What a relief.

We had 20 players online. I spawned on coast and went on a bambi Elektro run. Immediately, I saw a car headed for refueling. I had no weapon so no point trying to hijack the car.

Was on one of their TS channels with a group of British players...they sounded young by their voices but very polite and well-mannered. No one acting like an adolescent idiot for a change.

Uneventful run except that this same group was camped out at "sniper hill" with AS50s and gear and were calling out zed spawns which coincided with me running into the corresponding areas of town. They were also openly discussing intercepting players with gear and killing them. Its funny how easy and accomodating they are with strangers who popped into their TS channels. Not even passworded.

I like them.

I'll go back tonight. Gear up. Find out where is sniper hill and make some plans on how best go about killing them.

#3696095 - 12/10/12 09:03 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Falstar]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Falstar

Definetly not heros. They have just been giving each other blood transfusions for too long.

That will certainly help explain a lot. Goes to show you cannot trust anyone in this game.

I got so stoked during the engagement I forgot to frap the firefight until it was all over.

#3696165 - 12/10/12 01:54 PM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

That will certainly help explain a lot. Goes to show you cannot trust anyone in this game.

I got so stoked during the engagement I forgot to frap the firefight until it was all over.

If your computer is anything like mine, that 2 fps that Fraps uses (on my system) could have killed you.

To be fair I'm sure it was not all blood transfusions, they probably had some bandit kills along the way, but
going after you like they did they were not "heros".

#3696606 - 12/11/12 01:18 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Falstar]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
If your computer is anything like mine, that 2 fps that Fraps uses (on my system) could have killed you.

I use 'frap' as a generic word because they are the best known game capture. I'm using MSI Afterburner. Full featured and free, no lag, very configurable so you can tweak settings to output significantly smaller file sizes.

Frap is clunky, laggy and file sizes are simply outrageous.

#3697301 - 12/12/12 01:19 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
I agree Harry which is why I have stopped playing DayZ at all until the standalone comes out. I have been having more fun on the MSO server over at SurvivalOperations.net than anything in a long time. It isn't DayZ and the AI is pretty slick with ambushes and meeting engagements as well as sending in all kinds of patrols. BUT it is more a milsim than anything else and planning accounts for a bunch of my time in game now when setting up patrols and in game training for the other guys I am with in there.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3697355 - 12/12/12 03:15 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Reschke]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Reschke
I agree Harry which is why I have stopped playing DayZ at all until the standalone comes out. I have been having more fun on the MSO server over at SurvivalOperations.net than anything in a long time. It isn't DayZ and the AI is pretty slick with ambushes and meeting engagements as well as sending in all kinds of patrols. BUT it is more a milsim than anything else and planning accounts for a bunch of my time in game now when setting up patrols and in game training for the other guys I am with in there.

Reschke,

I think the standalone will need sometime to be fully fleshed out and I just cannot wait too long without a DayZ fix....but yeah, I was close to giving up, and in fact, have given up on public servers because I was having to start over time and time agai nafter losing tents, gear, and characters to servers and hackers.

The Private Hive GB Wireworld was a Godsend in this regard, offering a very capable v1.7.5, plenty of action with a great community that is both friendly and competitive and a well administered server that is stable with tents that save properly. Should keep me entertained until the standalone and beyond.

#3708519 - 12/30/12 12:47 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
dude163 Offline
Hotshot
dude163  Offline
Hotshot

riverview, NB, Canada
SO the best bet is to find a decent private server instead of a public one?

XBL : DUDE163
PSN : DUDE163
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverviewfoto/
http://dude163.blogspot.com (vintage lens foto blog)
#3708566 - 12/30/12 02:26 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: dude163]  
Snakeyes Offline
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
The private hives seem to have a lot less problems with cheating, hacking and script kiddies. I've never had problems like those on the private hive servers.

#3708769 - 12/30/12 01:35 PM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: dude163]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: dude163
SO the best bet is to find a decent private server instead of a public one?

I will say 'Yes, absolutely'. I made the switchover for several weeks now and its been really good.

The only thing I am missing in the priv servers is the ability to server hop for loot and stuff but balancing this against the following, I will take the private option everytime :-

1. Tents, vehicles that save properly.
2. You can be sure that the server will have some longevity. Many public servers go offline and often.
3. Active admins
4. Regular updates
5. Direct comms to admins (in the priv server on which I play, the admins provide a Teamspeak facilities and makes it a regular point to come into each TS channel and greet and update players personally, and also to ask for feedback/problems if any).
6. Not a damn hacker in sight.

I'm currently with the GB Wireworld DayZ Private Hive. Plenty of PvP and templay action. Very good community. Couldn't be happier.

Cannot see myself going back to those crappy public servers.

#3709087 - 12/31/12 12:31 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Shadow629 Offline
Shadow629  Offline

I'm currently with the GB Wireworld DayZ Private Hive. Plenty of PvP and templay action. Very good community.

I took Harry-the-Ruskie's advice and found some nice folks at GB Wireworld DayZ. No hackers yet!!!!

#3709135 - 12/31/12 02:16 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Shadow629]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Shadow629
I'm currently with the GB Wireworld DayZ Private Hive. Plenty of PvP and templay action. Very good community.

I took Harry-the-Ruskie's advice and found some nice folks at GB Wireworld DayZ. No hackers yet!!!!

Look for me on Wireowrld's TS channel. I play as 'Cactus' in DayZ/Arma. Have not been online for nearly a week because real life got in the way but will be there New Year onwards.

There's another regular Wireworld player who goes by the name 'Shadow' and he's Dutch. No relation to you I guess ? Lots have happened. Got a camp running (my first properly working tent). Got shot and killed. Went back to camp to gear up. Found and stole two vehicles. Then broke my leg because of clipping issues. Fortunately a teammate found the Huey and flew out to my position for a medevac...in the dark. He had to switch on the searchlight. Found someone's Land Rover in the NW during a flight. Stole that. And it goes on and on. But gear changes hand relatively quickly because the regulars on the server are really good at finding and stealing sh*t.

#3709244 - 12/31/12 06:48 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Shadow629 Offline
Shadow629  Offline

Hey, Harry.
Met the other SHADOW today. His name is all caps on TS3, mine is Shadow. I will watch for Cactus. I saw a Falstar on earlier, I wondered if it was the SimHQ Falstar. Played about 3 hours and got all geared up. Didn't see another survivor. About 200 meters out of Cherno, I got shot and killed. lol I kind of knew it was coming because I had just found an Alice Pack and I usually get killed soon after getting a big pack. I think it is a curse some zombie voodoo doctor put on me. Anyway, started over and 4 hours later I am pretty geared up again. Going to call it a night.

#3709289 - 12/31/12 12:07 PM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Yep, that was me. I was hoping, if it was you, you would have popped up a TS channel. I was uncertain if it was you since DayZCommander showed 7 Shadows playing at the time.

I set up a tent at the usual location.

I think the loot tables are a little screwed. Way to easy to get loot. (maybe it was a temporary glich) Farmed the store and came up with 10 binoculars in 10 minutes. lol I have not seen this much food, drink, matches, knives, hatchets, and Makarov clips, since I first started playing DayZ.

#3710373 - 01/02/13 04:00 AM Re: I think I killed two Heroes [Re: Falstar]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia

I think the loot tables are a little screwed. Way to easy to get loot. (maybe it was a temporary glich) Farmed the store and came up with 10 binoculars in 10 minutes. lol I have not seen this much food, drink, matches, knives, hatchets, and Makarov clips, since I first started playing DayZ.

I'll let Mac know when I catch up with him on TS and get him to look into it. Loot spawns seems ok to me a week earlier when I last played, though they consistently had glitches at Vybor supermarket when nothing spawns.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.