Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3702290 - 12/19/12 05:29 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

HUD data is not full real. The maps are still small two airfield maps with matchmaking, you can't join a fight in progress.

AH2 requires points to fly aircraft that would over power like jets, and that everyone would be flying around in. But you can choose any other plane between 1939 and 1945 without points or leveling up. You're stuck in WT with a 1939 plane until you WoW up.

I'll go back and play WT again when they introduce a true full real non-battlefield of duty in the skies product with a better FM, better ground handling, more realistic DM, and maps with more than two airfields that you can join in the middle of.

It's currently still just Wings of Prey multiplayer. Looks great, but that's all there is to it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3702293 - 12/19/12 05:33 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

And there's a reason people try out WT looking for a sim, and walk away seeing it isn't - or stay and play it for what it is.

Try as you might to peddle your WT wares as a sim, but the impression people get from WT when looking for a sim, after coming from other sims, is not that of a sim.

Great looking game though.

#3702298 - 12/19/12 05:43 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: NattyIced]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Originally Posted By: NattyIced
And there's a reason people try out WT looking for a sim, and walk away seeing it isn't - or stay and play it for what it is.

It's sim enough, it already has 8000 active players all time, i hardly call that walking away.

#3702308 - 12/19/12 05:54 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

Thirdwire products are more sim than WT.

You should probably re-read that statement I made. There are not 8000 players on at the same time, most I've seen are around 200.

8000 active accounts I would believe, and that includes my account which barely qualifies as active.

Last edited by NattyIced; 12/19/12 05:55 PM.
#3702335 - 12/19/12 06:22 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

200 if you played it 6 months ago..... there are 8000 people at same time now.

#3702339 - 12/19/12 06:24 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

oh wait, i was wrong

Just give up your trolling Natty, you are being proven wrong over and over again.

#3702347 - 12/19/12 06:37 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

You got me on the numbers, that's the only thing so far. Probably depends on time of day/time zone as well though, because this was a month ago that only 200 people were on, and they were all "arcade" (which is a misnomer, because that's all WT is) battles.

You are always coming here to try and convince people that WT is something it isn't. The product should do it on it's own, but doesn't.

#3702371 - 12/19/12 07:20 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: JimBobb
oh wait, i was wrong

Just give up your trolling Natty, you are being proven wrong over and over again.

WT PR says it is an "MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets". I don't think Gaijin are claiming anything else, so I'm fine with it being what it is.

A lot of people are loving it just the way it is, and it is only in beta so far. It will no doubt continue to evolve.

Nugget: I saw a debate on the WT forums about that number where someone was claiming the 'online' number includes 'AI bots'.

Excuse my ignorance but what did they mean?

H

[Linked Image]
#3702406 - 12/19/12 08:13 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

Sometimes the mission is started with a number of AI pilots (they have the [AI] prefix). I would imagine this is to lower waiting times.

I played missions with more AI pilots than humans. However this is really not frequent, based on my experience (around 35 hours) i'd be really surprised if AI pilots are anywhere near 30% if indeed they are included in the online active players.

Strictly on topic, my opinion is that hollywood DM, tiny maps, strategic bombers implementation and generally what i perceive to be the concept of this game lead to the conclusion that WT will never be anything more that a (very) casual approach to the sim genre, heavily catered towards arcade players.

LE: also i have to say that beside graphics (which are really awesome), if you go right now and buy Il-2 1946 for 5 bucks on gog.com you'll get a lot more in terms of simming. Can't help but think this is really sad.

Last edited by D13-th_Korn; 12/19/12 08:19 PM.
#3702410 - 12/19/12 08:16 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
'Online' number is just that. Exactly how many people are currently logged into the client at any one time. Right now (20:00 GMT) it is a little over 8000. Not all of those are playing online though. Some will be in single-player missions, test flight or exploring the interface. There are over 6000 people playing multi-player at this moment and admittedly, most of them are in Arcade. Simulator battles (FRB's) are a niche and that is to be expected.

I am enjoying FRB's immensely right now but they could do with a little tweaking. This tweaking is happening though as it's in Beta. We need more sim-heads in there though to speak up about FRB.

Here is a FRB I had yesterday. I would like that some elements of the HUD were disabled for FRB and maybe they will be before FRB settings are finalised.

View in HD 1080p if you have the bandwidth:

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
#3702416 - 12/19/12 08:25 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Nice vid. Was that flak hitting you, or another pilot?

[Linked Image]
#3702418 - 12/19/12 08:31 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: HeinKill]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Nice vid. Was that flak hitting you, or another pilot?

Thanks. The second 109 scraped me with a few shots although flak got close. Luckily I was mostly unscathed.

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
#3702643 - 12/20/12 01:56 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: NattyIced]  
JG52Krupi Offline
JG52Krupi  Offline

Try as you might to peddle your WT wares as a sim, but the impression people get from WT when looking for a sim, after coming from other sims, is not that of a sim.

I just tired it, I have had more feeling of flight running around with my arms out stretched making "plane" noises confused

Hilariously bad...

#3702689 - 12/20/12 03:08 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
Originally Posted By: JimBobb
You did not fly 'full real battle' mode with newest FMs and the last you flew was probably few months ago, so unless you go and fly those more than 2 flights, you can't comment.

I on purpose played older flight sims like il-2 or aces high and then went on to WT, it felt more advanced in every way for the things which are completed (like graphics and fm of some planes).
Obviously the things which are not finished yet (like dm) might feel arcade because they are simply not finished.

I have not tried the game in the last month, has there been some major advance in that time? when i did play it the only games being played online were very heavily arcade orientated, there was no historical action to be had, the fun goesout of it pretty quickly when your little He-51 is being Z&B'ed by an Me-163 with seemingly unlimited fuel, didn't they have enough proppelant for less than 8 minutes of powered flight and from there they were a glider? at the time i figured that WT is as close to an accurate sim as Angry birds is! i would love to see it develop over time, but dont really think that this is the aim of the devs, they ultimately want bums in seats, and return on investment, accurate, historical simming wont give them that in this day and age.

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3702697 - 12/20/12 03:18 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JG52Krupi]  
Hinchinbrooke Offline
Hinchinbrooke  Offline

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: JG52Krupi

I just tired it, I have had more feeling of flight running around with my arms out stretched making "plane" noises confused

Hilariously bad...

Agreed. Downloaded, tried it out................ and discovered much direness, although it is rather pretty. This is not the 'answer'.

Suffice to say, it is no longer on my HD.

#3702839 - 12/20/12 10:29 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
Lord Flashheart Offline
Lord Flashheart  Offline

London, UK
Hey Glo, think I was on your side on that Battle of Britain/OP Sealion battle - thought I recognised the name!

Quote:
I just tired it, I have had more feeling of flight running around with my arms out stretched making "plane" noises

Hilariously bad...

Sorry - but have the naysayers tried the Full Real Battles mode that was unlocked recently? Locked pits, CEM (I overheated an Il-2 engine on the ground by going for a cup of tea and then coming back to find the rad had boiled over) and no icons (*).

(*There are friendly icons but only v v close - by the time I see them I have already ID'd the plane type).

FM wise I recently flew a P-39 on IL-2 1946 as part of a warm-up for a SEOW, and that felt extremely close to the WT P-39 (in fact the WT Aircobra felt more unstable).

I'll also encountered structural damage when I ripped the wing off a Yak in a high speed dive, and seen a 109 plough into the ground following me in a steep dive in Spit indicating the 109s controls stiffened up.

Once the Planeset Levels for public battles are unlocked, then there will be less mixing of inppropriate biplanes & jets on the same map. (In fact it may be matchmaking already I haven't spotted a jet for ages)

That said, it is not perfect - it could defintely do with some tweaks.

*Remove the +XP messages from the FRB Battles
*Get rid of all icons in FRB
*Turn on friendly fire/collisions in FRB
*The high-gloss skins look fantastic - but apart from the polished aluminium US types, the camo would be matt. (for good reasons!)
*Perhaps remove the red/blue who's wining the battle bar at the top.
*Alternate mode in FRB - perhaps instead of 1hr, make it 2hrs but allow respawning?
*Asysmetric objectives - eg air spawn of a high alt B-17 raid, P-51s must defend
* Would it be possible to add historical individual squadron letters/numbers eg LO-A, LO-B, LO-C or numbers say in the preflight settings for movie-makers to create authentic footage?
*ULtimate FRB/historical mode - Match planesets to historical map (Eg Sabres vs MiGS (+ P-51s, La-7s, Il-2s, Invaders, Sea Furys. Meteors in Korea) and allow low tier players to fly the high tier aircraft temporarily in this mode.

Those that are still knocking it, you do remember that in the height of Il-2s popularity in Hyperlobby, a fair proportion of the servers were running 'arcade' settings, with no cockpit, icons, no CEM, no stalls etc - I remember having to hunt quite a bit for the Full Real stuff. Plus in RoF on New Wings/Syndicate there is a 'score tally' at the top of the screen showing who is winning. In CLoD for example on ATAG server there are big radio messages in the centre of the screen giving vectors to targets. As immersion breaking as the WT HUD?

(note also that while no collisons on the ground in WT is immersion breaking, so is being spawned in a blast pen in CloD, then having the wind push your tail around 45 degs so you can't taxi out and your wing falls off...)

While War Thunder does not claim to have the physics or depth of RoF, Clod or DCS, my take is that with FRB it is very much a sim. If you only look consider the (admittedly v popular) arcade battles then perhaps your perception might vary.

Finally - with 10,000 players online (around 230 in FRB) just in open beta, shouldn't us hardcore sim types be excited by the opportunity to entice a whole new generation into the world of CEM, locked pits, no icons etc and tempt then into RoF/Clod/IL21946/DCS?

(Especially since a whole set of Il-2 virtual pilots now flying in hardcore mode probably started on the arcade servers in Hyperlobby?)

Last edited by Lord Flashheart; 12/20/12 10:31 AM.

There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
#3702851 - 12/20/12 11:09 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
SimmoW Offline
SimmoW  Offline

I said I'd come and support you! I love the 'game', it's actually very deep when it comes to the flightmodel and feel, and it's taught me heaps about tactics, particularly the advantages of height and speed. Once you set up the joystick controls correctly, the simulation of the effects of torque and airflow are damn impressive.

Simon W
Melbourne, Oz
Core i7 3770k @4.7, GeForce 670OC
www.xsimreviews.com
#3702861 - 12/20/12 11:41 AM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Quote:
Sorry - but have the naysayers tried the Full Real Battles mode that was unlocked recently?

No they did not, the most vocal crowd dropped in for 2 flights in arcade 4 months ago and they think they are entitled to 'review' the game. So much for the 'mature sim community'. You'd expect they know better to voice their opinion about beta which is roughly 35% of full content.

#3702864 - 12/20/12 12:06 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: JimBobb]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

Is this the in thing now? Going to forums that are about a game you don't like and #%&*$# about it? Good lord, how about you go find something you do like. If you think this applies to you, your probably right.

Last edited by Craterman; 12/20/12 12:06 PM.
#3702867 - 12/20/12 12:24 PM Re: Wt vs reality [Re: Craterman]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted By: Craterman
Is this the in thing now? Going to forums that are about a game you don't like and #%&*$# about it? Good lord, how about you go find something you do like. If you think this applies to you, your probably right.

+1

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.