Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3696905 - 12/11/12 04:07 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
In an ideal world, the best thing to do with Clodo excellent engine would be to buy it collectively like what was done with Blender and makes it free.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3696908 - 12/11/12 04:10 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

Looking forward to it.

RoF looks great on my system, can't wait to have WWII aircraft with RoF's physics modelling.

#3696910 - 12/11/12 04:13 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
What is actually "excellent" about CloD's grafics engine? The inability to draw clouds that look better than a sim released 10 years ago? The horrible rendering of ground objects that "pop up" in a circle around your PoV and the short drawing distance that makes level-bombing an exercise in frustration? The lack of proper anti-aliasing? A colour palette that just looks weird in normal daytime?

Thank you, but I take the RoF engine any day over what I see in CLoD. Hell, I take the old DCS engine over CloD.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3696917 - 12/11/12 04:20 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
shadylurker Offline
shadylurker  Offline

Can't say i'm upset. The thought of an Over G and the wing collapsing like they do in ROF makes me excited

#3696923 - 12/11/12 04:26 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
"A colour palette that just looks weird in normal daytime?"

Frankly, I never liked the Oleg's ukrainian green everywhere at 1200, but I even prefer it to the cartoonish rendering of Rof, with its strange magenta and violet colors in the sky and in the fields.

#3696930 - 12/11/12 04:30 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Para_Bellum]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
What is actually "excellent" about CloD's grafics engine

I realize this is a rhetorical question, not offered to spark conversation, but I would consider it at the very least a very good if not excellent screenshot and video platform.

Screenshooting for some is the game within the game.

#3696946 - 12/11/12 04:54 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
The good news is that hardcore WWII simulation is not dead (and I certainly trust the skills of the RoF team).

The bad news is that we'll have lost all of the development work and features of CoD. The new sim will undoubtedly be much simpler.

My question: Will the CoD engine be opened for modding? What happens to the W.I.P. patches and the drivable tanks? Will we ever see them?

#3696955 - 12/11/12 05:05 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Avimimus]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: Avimimus
...and the drivable tanks? Will we ever see them?

Good god, I hope not!

I really wish the devs concentrate on a combat flightsim instead of "oh, let's add lots of shinies like crewable AA guns and other stuff of dubious value (cue Italian Air Force in the BoB) rolleyes "...

1.) Flight models
2.) damage models
3.) AI
4.) campaigns
5.) multiplayer
6.) scenery
7.) weather

IF they manage to implement all these features in time by all means they can add ridable unicorns and romance options for all I care. Until then I hope they concentrate on the flightsim part.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3696964 - 12/11/12 05:14 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Avimimus]  
2Lt_Joch Offline
2Lt_Joch  Offline

Montreal, Canada.

The bad news is that we'll have lost all of the development work and features of CoD. The new sim will undoubtedly be much simpler.

I dont see how you can say that at this stage. I highly doubt 777/1c will scrap the existing code and start over. Its much more likely that they will take the existing Clod code and build on that.

Intel Q9550, Gyga P35-DS3R, XFX 6950 XXX, 27" widescreen, 8 g. DDR2 @800, 2xWDRaptor 36g HD @ RAID 0, 1tb WD Caviar black HD, X-Fi Fatal1ty, win 7 64bit ultimate, Cougar/FSSB/HS1, Tir4.
pilot
#3696970 - 12/11/12 05:18 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
And so it starts all over again! Already people making comments on this game is better than that game, blah, blah, blah! Give it a rest already.. the good news is that there is going to be a bloody good WWII flight sim game within the next 18 months or so, (give or take 2 weeks, had to say it... it's the law!)

#3697040 - 12/11/12 06:46 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: 2Lt_Joch]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: 2Lt_Joch

I dont see how you can say that at this stage. I highly doubt 777/1c will scrap the existing code and start over. Its much more likely that they will take the existing Clod code and build on that.

The FAQ already stated it will be a modified version of the engine that powers ROF, and some assets MAY be reused but there is no plan at this point one way or the other set in stone.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3697058 - 12/11/12 07:17 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Its good news and bad news for me. I like the idea that the IL-2 series will continue, but not sure if the ROF engine can handle what I'd like to eventually see in WW2 Aircombat sim. I'm not a big fan of the ROF terrain model, and know their mission builders can't put many objects on the map. That said these things can improve, as they say their game engine is capable of evolving.

The good
a more complete and stable game engine
the FM seems good enough
the DM seems good enough
there are engine start procedures
clouds are OK
runs well (but can't add many objects)
development communication should be better now with less Russian/English translation confusion

Needs work
terrain
city, town, transportation infrastructure
DX 9
Weather
FMB needs work, but Jason has stated they are going to make their game engine more mod friendly
Trigger? The key to complex mission building. Not sure if ROF has them.
SDK's ?

It should be very interesting to see how it develops.

Last edited by Chivas; 12/11/12 07:19 PM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3697080 - 12/11/12 07:39 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Chivas]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
[admin edit: let's not start with that]

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 12/12/12 05:18 AM.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3697091 - 12/11/12 07:45 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Chivas]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Its good news and bad news for me. I like the idea that the IL-2 series will continue, but not sure if the ROF engine can handle what I'd like to eventually see in WW2 Aircombat sim. I'm not a big fan of the ROF terrain model, and know their mission builders can't put many objects on the map. That said these things can improve, as they say their game engine is capable of evolving.

The good
the FM seems good enough
the DM seems good enough
clouds are OK
development communication should be better now with less Russian/English translation confusion

Needs work
terrain
DX 9
Weather
FMB needs work, but Jason has stated they are going to make their game engine more mod friendly
SDK's ?

Yea I don't know if I should get very excited by this announcement, for some of the same reasons that you stated here. My big high wore off rather quickly when Jason avoided my question to him, by not answering the question, I guess he answered it..I'm really only into flight sims so I'll get excited or not by the reviews on release.. so here is my question

Jason, Luthier often says that the planes should be flown as the airplanes owner manual states to do so in Clod

1. will that be your/the development goal?

2. Early rumors said that the realism level would be very high, do you envision the CEM at a higher level than we now have in Clod?

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3697092 - 12/11/12 07:46 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I say BRING IT ON!

This can only be a good thing. I masy not be a fan of WWI simming but Jason has proven that he can deliver with RoF. He is a member of this community from day one and knows all the things that were wrong with both IL2 and CoD and with the I have confidence that as a conjoined entity the resulting product will be nothing short of very good is not excellent.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3697093 - 12/11/12 07:47 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Jedi Master]  
2Lt_Joch Offline
2Lt_Joch  Offline

Montreal, Canada.
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: 2Lt_Joch

The FAQ already stated it will be a modified version of the engine that powers ROF, and some assets MAY be reused but there is no plan at this point one way or the other set in stone.

The Jedi Master

yes, I have since seen that. Can't say I am very happy though, the Clod engine, despite its flaws featured a very sophisticated flight model engine. The RoF engine is good, but geared to simple WW1 airplanes.

I hope we don't wind up in a situation where RoF withers on the vine, while BoS turns out to be underwhelming. Time will tell I guess...

Intel Q9550, Gyga P35-DS3R, XFX 6950 XXX, 27" widescreen, 8 g. DDR2 @800, 2xWDRaptor 36g HD @ RAID 0, 1tb WD Caviar black HD, X-Fi Fatal1ty, win 7 64bit ultimate, Cougar/FSSB/HS1, Tir4.
pilot
#3697107 - 12/11/12 08:02 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Force10]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Force10

The good
the FM seems good enough
the DM seems good enough
clouds are OK

Needs work
terrain
DX 9
Weather
SDK's ?

Chivas, with all due respect I think it's time to trade in your crystal ball for an upgrade as your current one has been wrong about 95% of the time in the last year and a half.

There is no doubt my positive speculation, has crumbled and died, but I feel much better with a positive attitude, than repeatedly moaning and groaning about every issue. There are enough people doing that in the forums, they certainly don't need me adding to it. It will be interesting to see how the ROF game engine can evolve.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3697108 - 12/11/12 08:06 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: SlipBall]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
A few thoughts...

With RoF's upcoming Channel Map, I'm kind of getting my hopes up for a BoB re-vamp. Once the basic groundwork for that map has been established, what prevents them from upgrading it to a 1940s version and adding it as DLC ?

It also looks like some assets may be transferable from one engine to the other. Development of Battle for Stalingrad was initially started using CloD's engine, and now they're announcing a release in about a year with a different engine. One year is too short to start from scracth, unless they want to repeat CloD's launch fiasco, so I'm guessing they'll be re-using some of the stuff they already have. Hurricanes saw combat in the East, and most of the Luftwaffe and Reggia types that saw action over the Channel also fought in the East...

I'm not too sure it bodes well for expansion in the long run though... The RoF terrain engine is a great one, but one thing it cannot do now is hills and mountains. Flanders is a pretty flat place, so are the plains around Stalingrad, so no big challenge for them there, but will the engine allow them to add Crimea or the Mediterranean ?
I'm also wondering if the RoF terrain engine can be made to use more varied textures than it currently does. Failing that, great expanses of land on the Eastern front will be quite boring to look at. 777 announced the upcoming Channel Map for RoF will introduce new typical features for the area, so I guess it'll be a good preview of what the RoF terrain engine can do, or can be upgraded to do.

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#3697127 - 12/11/12 08:42 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Chivas]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Force10

The good
the FM seems good enough
the DM seems good enough
clouds are OK

Needs work
terrain
DX 9
Weather
SDK's ?

Chivas, with all due respect I think it's time to trade in your crystal ball for an upgrade as your current one has been wrong about 95% of the time in the last year and a half.

There is no doubt my positive speculation, has crumbled and died, but I feel much better with a positive attitude, than repeatedly moaning and groaning about every issue. There are enough people doing that in the forums, they certainly don't need me adding to it. It will be interesting to see how the ROF game engine can evolve.

I have always admired your positive attitude but at certain times it was so positive it turned into a negative. An example is when you were crucifying your fellow gamers for buying COD on sale and encouraging them to buy it at full price when most of us could tell Luthier and team were in over their head. I just hope you can think of your fellow gamers as well as the developers this time around.

Cheers!

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3697134 - 12/11/12 08:53 PM Re: New game announced! [Re: Chivas]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
SDK's ?

Yes, RoF mission editor has triggers, it has even more, triggers can be scripted and chained to create very complex scenarios. The only problem is that it needs some learning to be used properly.
Some SDK allready exists (for example to to add 3D objects to the game). Other will probably follow.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.