Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3690455 - 11/29/12 08:42 PM Company of Heroes 2 trailer....  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3690479 - 11/29/12 09:21 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
Gille Offline
Gille  Offline

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Nice vid Magnum, thanks for posting it.

I had to laugh at those KV tank's crossing the ice as they weigh 45+ tons each !

Last edited by Gille; 11/29/12 09:25 PM.
#3690705 - 11/30/12 11:37 AM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Is that actual ingame footage?

Looks like the original CoH only with an Eastern Front scenario.
CoH was something special 5 years ago with those Gfx, but who wants to buy a simple full price RTS game looking like that nowadays?

Suddenly even the latest Close Combat title doesn´t look so old anymore. wink

Time is the only luxury.
#3690858 - 11/30/12 05:17 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, I'm all like "meh".

And when I say meh, I mean "I'm going to buy it day 1" smile

Seriously can you compare the 2D graphics of Close Combat to Company of Heroes?

#3690931 - 11/30/12 07:45 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: elanaiba]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: elanaiba

Seriously can you compare the 2D graphics of Close Combat to Company of Heroes?

If you ever played Close Combat you'll know why some people still compares Company of Heroes (and other WWII RTS games) to Close Combat wink

Really these Company of Heroes series are definitly not my "cup of tea" -> Too arcadish for me!

#3691048 - 11/30/12 10:55 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Yeah I did play a lot of Close Combat back in the day, in fact I used to quote it as one of my fave games when asked.

Its fun, realistic, buggy but last time I've tried it didn't have any serious MP and no MP infrastructure. Maybe that changed, I hope so to be honest, but if I look on matrix games it seems Panthers in the fog doesn't have MP at all.

COH is certainly not as realistic, and it caters to lots of unrealistic tactics if one wishes to play so. But is sure as hell easier to get MP going and in general much more playable for guys with limited time.

However, to me the user above me seemed to comment on the looks (Visual) of the game, which seemed silly since COH is close to old first person shooter standards, while CC is well, a top down sprite fest. And then... i really don't want to have this as a "my game is better" discussion but aren't all recent Close Combat remakes? I hope at least they got more campaigns in the vein of CC5, that was NICE!

#3692119 - 12/03/12 02:08 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Yes, I agree that the Close Combat graphics are outdated (like you said a "sprite fest") and that's one of the reasons (perhaps the main) that my current favourite RTS game is Combat Mission:Shock Force - It has a very similar gameplay as CC and have the same realism as CC but Combat Mission:Shock Force has modern and good looking 3D graphics. Combat Mission:Shock Force also has MP but I don't know how it works since MP is not a part that interests me regarding RTS games so MP is not an issue for me when playing RTS games.

#3692891 - 12/04/12 07:50 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: NimRud]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: NimRud
Is that actual ingame footage?

Looks like the original CoH only with an Eastern Front scenario.
CoH was something special 5 years ago with those Gfx, but who wants to buy a simple full price RTS game looking like that nowadays?

Suddenly even the latest Close Combat title doesn´t look so old anymore. wink

Just my opinion I know but the original CoH graphics still hold their own today. Maybe they're not the most detailed graphics but they are very good and perfectly sufficient for a computer game. Regardless of what one thinks of the graphics, comparing CC to CoH is absurd!!

That off my chest, CoH2 looks like it has improved graphics to me. Even so, this trailer does little to encourage me as it appears as tho Relic is going after the gamer that favors frantic, glitzy, mayhem over strategy and tactics. To that end, CoH2 is looking like it will be as much of a clickfest as the original was which, while not entirely unexpected, will be a serious disappointment. If there was one thing I was hoping would get fixed, it was the clickfest gameplay. Apparently, frantic glitz sells more units than tactical strategy and these days THQ needs to sell more units so that's the direction CoH2 appears to be headed. So I agree with you (Frank) - I will not pay full price for an only slightly improved CoH2.

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3692894 - 12/04/12 07:50 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: Magnum]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Ricnunes,

Why doesn't MP interest you? I'm not debating your choices or preferences, but as a developer I'm interested if there's something that I can do to change them.

For example, I think people are sometimes not interested in MP because:
1) MP lacks storyline, immersion, as is generally a set piece battle of equal teams and terms
2) it's too hard / no time to find players and servers that match their preferences
3) MP is too fast and dominated by ruthless people (COH is such an example, if you play the excellent team vs team mode it seems that only Guderian and Rommel are online, waiting to beat you to death)
4) don't find competing with other players interesting
5) don't have time for a full continuous match of MP
6) they think they can measure with other players but haven't actually ever tried

What's your issue with MP in general?

Last edited by elanaiba; 12/04/12 07:51 PM.
#3692901 - 12/04/12 08:13 PM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: elanaiba]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Ricnunes,

Why doesn't MP interest you? I'm not debating your choices or preferences, but as a developer I'm interested if there's something that I can do to change them.

1) MP lacks storyline, immersion, as is generally a set piece battle of equal teams and terms
2) it's too hard / no time to find players and servers that match their preferences
3) MP is too fast and dominated by ruthless people (COH is such an example, if you play the excellent team vs team mode it seems that only Guderian and Rommel are online, waiting to beat you to death)
6) they think they can measure with other players but haven't actually ever tried

I'm also completely uninterested in MP for any of reasons 1-5 you list as well as computer games are not where I go for social interaction. I'll admit that I have had the rare enjoyable MP experience but the vast majority of MP time just isn't what I'm looking for when I game. Plain and simple - I don't want to play MP, no reason is necessary, it's just one of the many things in life I don't want to do ready

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3693067 - 12/05/12 12:14 AM Re: Company of Heroes 2 trailer.... [Re: elanaiba]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Ricnunes,

Hi elanaiba,

No problem answering your question at all!
My reasons are:
- Your number 1 -> One major lack of immersion regarding MP games is that you cannot realistically model certain kind of missions: Imagine for example a mission where a group of soldiers (SpecOps for example) decide to make a surprise attack on an enemy base - You can't model this realistically in a competitive MP game since the human or humans playing for the defender side are well aware that the other side is already coming very soon to attack and the defenders will deploy their forces as "snipers" in order to take out the attacking forces (instead of being attacked and acting like real "guards" or soldiers being attacked by surprise). In the other hand in a single player game (or Co-Op) you can program the defender forces AIs to take a sentry stance and act like true guards which are guarding the base (and not behaving like "camped snipers").
- Your number 5 -> With a 3 year old daughter usually asking me for attention a "pause button" is "a must" for my video games! wink For logical reasons a "pause button" is an impossible feature for a MP game. wink
- Your number 4 -> Even when I have time or the opportunity to play a MP game I still don't find interesting competing with other players due to the reason number 1. Also in games with limited sized maps and limited units/resources which is the case of RTS games when you face a player that basically makes "his life playing the game in MP" this same player will certainly know every corner of the map(s) and the resources available and he will inevitably develop an "invincible tactic" - This is not a cheat of course but it's definitly what I call an "exploit"!
The only MP game mode that I enjoy playing is Co-Op -> A good Co-Op game is as good as a single player game with the advantage that you can play with human friends instead of or even together with friendly AIs.
Resuming the only MP game mode that I play is Co-Op! One example of this is ArmA2 which I almost play it exclusivelly (when I have spare time) in Co-Op.

I hope this helps you to get an "inside" of my oppinion regarding MP games.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.