Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3691140 - 12/01/12 03:52 AM Gunship Helipad is back. And more.  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
Sorry folks, I wasn't paying attention and lost the Simwarrior websites for a bit due to sheer boneheadedness. I've restored them from a 5 year old back up. I think. wink

Anyway, the Gunship - Times of Sand beta is available again, along with all the other mod bits. Have at it.

Plus: something new.

When I had to step back from the modding scene around 2005, I burned all my development projects and research to CD. Seeing the recent interest here in this years-ahead-of-its-time sim, I have now uploaded those CD's for anyone who wants to download several gigs worth of MicroProse game research and rummage through them. I know that map building tools, GS Vietnam, GS Navy, and even lots of M1 Tank Platoon 2, European Air Wars, and even earlier MicroProse titles are in there. But to be honest, I don't even remember what is in these files. I'm sure there are things done by other modders, and things sourced from industry pros. So I apologize now for not remembering who did what. But there are some great things to be found.

And all that work was done before superheroes like PSYKLIK, Samovar and WB got their teeth into Gunship. So with their later incredible discoveries, I suspect that absolutely amazing Gunship things are still possible.

But not by me. I am older, busier and less healthy than I once was, but I remain deeply grateful to the great people I met through this game, and through the SimHQ community. I learned so much from so many, not only technically, but also about myself and what I could do. And I had an absolute hoot along the way, even though I continually had my butt handed to me by better players on a routine basis. You know who you are. wink

So I can't promise I will help much, or even at all. Life comes with sharp turns. But if some of this will feed the curiousity and creativity of others, that will make me very, very glad.

So here are the links that are not on the website:
(The FTP is still running as I write this, so try again later if something is 404.)

http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/dev/mps_1.zip
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/dev/mps_2.zip
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/dev/mps_3.zip
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/dev/mps_4.zip

Dig in. Be well.

Last edited by fng2k; 12/01/12 04:32 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3691261 - 12/01/12 03:00 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
this is wonderful thank you - Gunship is still an awesome game and one that i keep coming back to as it has its own flavour distinct from the other prominent titles EECH and Longbow 2

#3691270 - 12/01/12 03:31 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
nockmeister Offline
nockmeister  Offline

Manchester UK
Yep big thanks for the resurrection fnk2k!! thumbsup

#3691544 - 12/02/12 03:29 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
samovar6 Offline
samovar6  Offline

Canaduh
@fng2k
Jeezus!
It's wonderful to see you posting again after a hiatus of several years!

Big thanks for making that stuff available. Three months from now, once I've completed downloading it all, and have given it a cursory glance, I'm certain that I'll thank you again. Even if most of those massive downloads include extensive video footage of hamsters mounted on joysticks, or the complete lyrics to the collected ouevre of Louis Jordan, I still won't be disappointed.

Nothing against Mr. Jordan, nor of your legendary love of hamsters. I'll admit to having a weakness for the pre-Rock 'n' roll sounds of Monsieur Louis, as well as the endearing overbites of our mutual rodent friends.

Thanks for everything that you've ever done for the game. You were, and still are, THE GUNSHIP! GUY.

I (and everybody else) hope that you'll still be around, both corporeally and interwebily speaking, for a long time to come.

Best wishes and all that other gooey stuff to you.

Last edited by samovar6; 12/02/12 11:38 AM.
#3692833 - 12/04/12 06:16 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Hi fng2k,

Thanks for restoring your website, and for making all of the additional content available. The excellent work you, and others, created has given us a great base to start from. Hopefully GS_TOS will become the fantastic mod it deserves to be.

Thanks must also go to Spitty for trying to get this project started again!

Last edited by HawkI; 11/26/20 08:37 PM.
#3694417 - 12/07/12 06:10 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Quote:
PS Would also like to say thanks to Spitty for the inspiration in trying to get this project started again!

LIES ALL LIES.. copter

My thanks to the giants who have done all the work before us.
Am working on reskinning the ship and aircraft models at the moment.The Bourke is just about done but needs someone with mad 3dz modelling skillz to add some more detail. exitstageleft
I havent figured out how to take still shots in game so here is a teaser of the skin..

#3695200 - 12/08/12 11:58 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
"LIES ALL LIES"..

Ah, such modesty!

Good start there mate.

No need to pause the game for still shots, just hit print screen key.

Last edited by HawkI; 11/26/20 08:26 PM.
#3696068 - 12/10/12 06:40 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Here is a list of things we hope to achieve.If anyone has any other ideas or questions please ask.. [ ] Troops reskin
[ ] Ship models reskin and fix fm
[ ] Civilian vehicles remodel reskin
[ ] Cities and towns updated
[ ] Editors for ground object placement.Add to Wills mission editor for Map zoom
[ ] Skins for aircraft redone
[ ] Tank emplacement
[ ] Truck car bombs
[ ] Caves
[ ] Reuse Germany as Taliban for early Afghan
[ ] Fine tune map editor for mountain terrain paths
[ ] Poppie fields

#3696895 - 12/11/12 03:55 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Soviet Hind's against the Mujahideens?

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3697176 - 12/11/12 09:40 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: Stratos]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Originally Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Soviet Hind's against the Mujahideens?

DOH..Thanks yes hope to get an early Afghanistan scenario going.

#3697341 - 12/12/12 02:50 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Couple more WIP test skins.

#3697697 - 12/12/12 06:31 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
Nice! The A10 desperately needed reskinning, and the Burke is shaping up well. I never figured out how to change the collion detection for an object to make it larger and more solid, so unless Psyklik or Samovar sussed it, we cant land on the ship. Still cool though, and it does fire all sorts of ordnance.

#3697869 - 12/12/12 10:46 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Cheers fng2k.If the models follow EAW type then there is a hitbubble inside it that can be edited.I would like to model the front 1.5" gun and Phallanx guns as well as well as have all zee kewl Missiles wink
LOL yes the A10 is best described as.."Messy" dizzy

#3697953 - 12/13/12 01:53 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
wow, this is great stuff - is any of this downloadable or is all in the time of sands beta in some form already? Was there an A10 in Gunship! before?

#3697992 - 12/13/12 03:35 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

The Burke is in the TOS beta and seen in the Djibuti3Ship mission and is using the Leapord tank model slot.The A10 has always been in Gunship as a support aircraft.In TOS you can see it in the A10test mission.Just press F1 then F9 then F12 to cycle through units.

#3698617 - 12/14/12 01:48 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
samovar6 Offline
samovar6  Offline

Canaduh
Nice work, Spitty!

As far as I know, there are no hit bubbles lurking inside GS! .3DBs.
Ground objects (trees, buildings, etc.) have their collision boxes individually defined in Table data beginning near offset CF910h

I tend to think that the vehicle collision boxes are defined by the vehicle’s AI type, rather than according to the size of the 3d model or any Unidentified Table data. I don’t have any hard ‘n’ fast proof of this assumption, but I’ve made numerous observations that are consistent with the hypothesis.

Yet I can’t absolutely rule out the Armour Table data, because I really don’t know what’s going on in there, and that table seems like a very logical place to define collision boxes. I can tell you, though, that I once zeroed-out an entire Armour Table slot in the .exe, and then played the game. Vehicles with the zeroed-out armour type appeared to collide normally with other objects, and helo cannon rounds would ricochet off of them as if there were no change to the collision box. That’s if I’m remembering correctly, of course. Time and various chemical compounds have beaten up my brain-box somethin’ fierce. It was ages ago that I tried all that monkey business.

That doesn’t, however, preclude the possibility that a small number of vehicles have their very own AI-independent collision boxes defined somewhere, somehow.

#3698729 - 12/14/12 06:04 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Hmm was just about to send you Galah mail,err a bit like Pigeon mail but better as a Galah can be taught to speak like a Parrot whereas a Pigeon cannot.They are a bit silly and someone known as an idiot is said to be a "Silly bl00dy Galah".
Oooh back on topic,I was just assuming we had hitbubbles as Eaw and Gunship were related (bit like Tasmanians) and the Eaw models can be edited via a Mr Jelly program me thinks.We need to undistructify the trees though as those rascal enemy vehicles like to hide behind them and go Naa Naa Na Na Naaahhh to our multi million dollar Hellfires frown

#3699352 - 12/15/12 04:41 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Lol, a few australian jokes in there!

Hey i am just wondering is there a way to get around the odd fault with the in game map planning screen that wont let one alter waypoints in certain sections of the map? Is there a way to get around this or even a way to pan around the map? Also the single missions seem to go out of sync with their correct titles in the list when choosing a mission - i find i have to select a mission two down in the list to get the one i want

#3699688 - 12/15/12 09:52 PM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: fng2k]  
samovar6 Offline
samovar6  Offline

Canaduh
@Spitty:
Thanks for the info on galahs. The word will be added to my Australian lexicon.
In Canada, we’ve got loud, annoying, and unintelligent creatures that feather their own nests, too.
We call them Members of Parliament.

#3699786 - 12/16/12 01:03 AM Re: Gunship Helipad is back. And more. [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
WB Offline
WB  Offline

U.S.
Originally Posted By: Agathosdaimon

...Hey i am just wondering is there a way to get around the odd fault with the in game map planning screen that wont let one alter waypoints in certain sections of the map? Is there a way to get around this or even a way to pan around the map?

Sometimes, in Map view, you move your cursor over a waypoint and it won't light up to allow you to move or delete it.

When this happens, sometimes it helps to first click on the actual Waypoint # on the right panel, and/or hit Z and X to zoom in and out on the map. Then, the cursor sometimes will light up over the waypoint, allowing you to move or delete it. Left click the waypoint to move it, right click to delete it.

Another related anomaly is that sometimes, the first waypoint sometimes gets deleted by itself at the start of the mission.

There is an anomaly where the first waypoint sometimes gets deleted (You hear the radio say 'Lightning, continue with mission. Out.', and you know it got deleted). This seems (to me) to happen only when you're flying certain helo's and then hit 'N' to see the map as soon as the mission starts. If instead, I press F2, 'w', then F9, then 'N', it seems to prevent it from happening.

more game tips here: Gunship! playing tips

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.