Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3681643 - 11/14/12 04:34 AM Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version)  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
When it comes to brainless first person shooters, I really appreciate quick and flexible control customization and FOV (field of view) adjustability.

Treyarch (who also did the orginal Black Ops in the CoD series) has never let me down in that respect & Black Ops II gets a thumbs up in both departments.

I have limited time to try games out but I must say that BO2 is a really polished product right out of the box.

You actually get three products (and three desktop icons) ... Call of Duty Black Ops II (Campaign), Call of Duty Black Ops II (Multiplayer) and Call of Duty Black Ops II (Zombies) (haven’t tried the zombie one yet).

Bottom line ... if you want to shoot at and/or blow people up of both the internet and/or AI varieties ... BO2 is for you! biggrin

For what it is, I’ll give BO2 an 8/10 so far. I'll have to do some more research though so the ranking may vary ...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3681686 - 11/14/12 06:39 AM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Too soon for me to say, and this is 360, but I don't think it matters on a game like this.
Played campaign about 20 minutes, kind of liked it, although hard to follow. Glad to see, or rather, hear, Sam Worthington and Michael Rooker (MERLE!). Nice to recognize voices of likable actors for some reason. I'll return to that later, with any luck I'll be interested enough to finish it, something I haven't done since COD4.

MP....ugh. Naturally I skip TDM, since I can't stand it, and go for Domination, one of the 3 gametypes I like. The map was tiny even by COD standards. Action too fast. I'm too old for this #%&*$#. I'll try sometime other than late at night when my nerves can handle it. I usually have to tough it out until I can play the gametypes I really like, but it looks like more could be open from the get-go this time. I'll try it out again later this week.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3681701 - 11/14/12 07:45 AM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Spectrre Offline
Spectrre  Offline

Think I'll save my $60 this time. I dunno why they still bother making this series. Talk about beating a dead horse....

Last edited by Spectrre; 11/14/12 07:47 AM.

It's not the fall that gets you. It's the Godawful sudden stop at the end.
#3681927 - 11/14/12 04:50 PM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Because it sells like crazy.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3681936 - 11/14/12 05:00 PM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
They will keep using the same engine for many, many years too as people keep buying it. BF3 and MoH:W are far superior in my opinion.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3682079 - 11/14/12 08:13 PM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Hunedog Offline
Hunedog  Offline

Vancouver BC Canada
MW3 was my last purchase of this franchise.
It is what it is, a mainly Twitch Monkey (Multiplayer)
shooter of which I'm not.

I've enjoyed their campaigns, the multiplayer is
someone else's style not mine. To me It's Quake/Unreal
in a Modern Warfare Skin.

Right now I'm loving Planetside 2 because it's way
more team based and you have more opportunities to
out think your opponent.

Coming from the Battlefield series(Battlefield 2, 2142 & 3)
I sure don't miss being Tk'd for vehicles or having it stolen
while I'm repairing it.

At the end of the day I respect Treyarch for what they do
because they do it very well.

runningdog

"It's not about the money Son, It's about rules. You see without rules we all might as well live in trees and fling our crap at each other."
Red Foreman on That 70's Show
#3682234 - 11/14/12 11:09 PM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Linebacker]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I was positively surprised by BO2. IMO it is the best game so far in that genre...by a large margin.

The SP campaign has a well-written story, and it is not strictly linear....your actions - especially (even partial) mission failures - will have an effect on the outcome of the game (there are six different endings).

Even though it still works like a shooter on rails, the "rails" allow for more flexibility and different approaches, which in turn influence how the missions play out (and therefore how the story will end).

Another nice feature is that the player can customize his equipment before each mission - primary gun, secondary weapon, and attachment for each, plus grenade/explosives loadout and tactical gear.

Shortcomings are - as usual with the franchise - the stupid AI, the sub-par graphics, and the "jerky" character animations (IMO). I also have seen better weapons modeling in other games.

Especially the so-called Strikeforce missions - some kind of RTS and FPS hybrid - are a good idea that suffers from idiotic "friendly" AI behavior: since they are incapable of coordinated combat (or actually hitting an enemy that is 3 feet in front of them), these missions, designed to give the game some tactical depth, tend to deteriorate into frustrating micro-management-fests. IMO at least.

But compared the IMO very disappointing MOH Warfighter, this game is very good. It is the best COD game so far, and here's hoping that Treyarch can improve on that for the next one (better GFX engine, much better AI).

I don't ever play MP with these kind of games, so my observations are strictly SP related.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3685055 - 11/19/12 08:36 PM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: Jayhawk]  
Richie61 Offline
Richie61  Offline

New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
I was positively surprised by BO2. IMO it is the best game so far in that genre...by a large margin.

Agree! BO2 is a great FPS!

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

Dale Earnhardt
#3691978 - 12/03/12 02:56 AM Re: Black Ops II – Quick mini review (PC version) [Re: PlayerOne]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Sorry kinrossian, but I'm going to pick apart your post like a vulture on a carcass LOL! ...

Originally Posted By: kinrossian
I played it for a few weeks so far.

I find it frustrating as it has potential or rather it inherits some good points from the CoD4 daddy in terms of game-play.

BO2 has NO potential.

But it fails in cinematics (dying sequence starts after the enemy is actually killed),

Would you prefer the dying sequence to start before the enemy is actually killed?

network code (cannot knife anyone as there is always a slight lag),

The network code is rock solid. The only problem is that the game is so fast that any millisecond lag is noticeable.

lack of dedicated servers (not even to the BO level). You cannot choose or filter which game types or maps you want to play.

You can choose the game type and vote on one of two maps or random maps.

matchmaking service is abysmal. Many of the maps are very small. Smaller than ever.

The matchmaking service is the best I’ve seen in this type of game. There are some small maps and some big maps.

The game is now overrun by running shot-gunners or knifers which cannot be killed making the game-play very unbalanced, (not easily anyway)

The game is not overrun by running shot-gunners or knifers. You're just getting too close to the enemy for some reason smile (I'm talking about the PC version btw. I'm not sure of the state of affairs on consoles)

especially when you're playing the objectives...

You can’t really play the objectives in BO2. Playing objectives requires teamwork and there is none in BO2.

I already find it boring now. I can't believe I am saying this, but probably BF3 is a much better game overall... based on what I've seen on youtube.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never compare any game in the Battlefield series to a game in the Call of Duty series.

That’s like comparing Humans to Apes with super-fast reflexes LOL!

In short - BO2 is not fun or it gets old and tedious very quickly.

Would you consider the three weeks you spent on it quick?

I only regret not double checking the latest on dedicated servers - I only pre-ordered it as I read it will have them. I should have cancelled my pre-order. Never mind. Last CoD for me, back to CoD4.

So if BO2 had dedicated servers, would you be happier? Why?

PS.

Don’t get me wrong ... I think BO2 is the stupidest FPS ever and I hate Treyarch for making it so damn addictive LOL!

My "quick review" score stands at 8/10.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.