Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3655149 - 10/03/12 12:30 AM Update  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
So after a long bout with downloads, activation / deactivation problems, and corrupt install logs.....whew! I got P-51 Mustang working with the new update. I have to say......I don't think it was worth the effort.
There are quite a few bugs in this finished product. The Beta version was a little easier to use. I am getting terrible lag for the first 10 seconds or so. So bad that the screen almost freezes and scenery loads come in and out. When I do anything within those 10 seconds...I get kicked to the desktop but I am still in the game. I click back on the Icon and several seconds later...I recover with full graphics, and no problems. Hmm....
The first time I just put up a quick mission. I found myself in a bright purple Mustang armed with missiles. It was actually really funny. After quitting the round to see if there was some kind of skin option in the menu, I went into a quick mission. The plane looked cool enough but again....laaaaaaag for the first 10 seconds and the whole scenario started all over again.
I'm finding that the performance overall has gone down a little and there are some bugs in the control setup. We didn't get any WWII adversaries or ground vehicles. Somewhat dissapointing. I don't see that ever getting fixed at this point. So I guess that the ME109s in the trailer are just eye candy to get chumps like me to buy this thing. I'm not completely unhappy. I enjoy taking out ground targets and will probably play it from time to time.......It's just dissapointing when you watch a trailer with the complete WWII package and you end up having to face down Migs and get shot at by SAMs in a simulator that touted none of this. I just turn all of that off in the quick mission setup menu. I do take pleasure in trying to down the helis. They're the only aircraft in this sim that the P-51 can take out without having to respawn 30 times. Even the other P-51 in the missions menues outfly and outclass my plane. They seem to have no regulation whatsoever as they do 90 degree climbs and don't slow down even a little.
I believe that I am one of a very few who purchased the P-51. Judging by the views and responses I see in the P-51 threads. Well....If you are wondering about it....I wouldn't invest in it right now. Maybe later I don't know but it's a pretty useless toy in the DCS lineup right now.
I am a WWII plane lover. I had the A10 and Flaming Cliffs I and II and did not enjoy them nearly as much as I do WWII sims. So I don't believe I will invest any more money into the DCS franchise unless they actually gear up a little more in this area.
Thanks for all of your help with my tech. problems guys!!!

It's fun for what it is......

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3655269 - 10/03/12 04:43 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
Wow...what a train wreck. I'm done with this catastrophy until they get it fixed.

#3655358 - 10/03/12 10:24 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Sorry to hear you're disappointed.

OTOH I played online for about 2-3 hrs yesterday with a couple of buddies: not a single CTD and decent performance all around. Except the freeze/stutter when starting a mission. We had some great fun doing a hilarious air race, did a formation cross-country flight with real navigation in bad weather, had some fun with ground/strafing attacks and finally engaged in wild dogfights. Love the implementation of heat management in the P-51 now.

To be honest I never expected more WW2 content in this update. I'm pretty sure over time we'll actually see more. Until then I enjoy what I have, although it's far from perfect. IMO the Mustang does already provide lots of entertainment if you're able to play online with friends.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3655636 - 10/03/12 05:37 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
Yeah...that friggin studder lasts between 10 and 20 seconds on my computer. But the big problem is that when I touch anything on the screen with the cursor, it boots me to the desktop (only on the first touch, after that it's ok). Not out of the game....just to the desktop. By the time I get back into the game screen and the studdering subsides...the plane is 90 degrees south 100 feet above the ground.
This occures every time I start any mission, training, game.....whatever. When and if I can survive those first 20 seconds it's ok. The gam runs pretty well. It is a little slower and more sluggish than the beta version. I am glad to put up with that but I don't get into the sim long enough to enjoy playing.

#3655755 - 10/03/12 08:35 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Did you try to uncheck the "disable aero interface" box in the options menu? That fixed my mouse cursor problems.

Also today's DCS update fixed the freeze on mission start for me. In case your version hasn't updated you can do so manually via the start/programs/DCS menu.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3655759 - 10/03/12 08:43 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
I have to ALT-TAB out of the Mission and Bring it back up just to be able to click the "Unpause/Start Button"

of course if you press PAUSE/BREAK it does it, but the mouse is still linked to the desktop,

disable Aero doesnt work either,

also does it when going to the MP Menu.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3655790 - 10/03/12 09:24 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Just to make sure: did you uncheck the "disable aero interface box"?

That was the culprit on my system.

#3655926 - 10/04/12 01:25 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
stiffstarch Offline
stiffstarch  Offline

Maryland, USA
WOW...I thought it was me and my system...good to hear you are also having performance issues, but bad for us that love this plane and want to fly it. I have a lot of stutter, even on the lowest settings. I have tried all sorts of settings at it doesn't seem to matter...this is much worse than the previous versions (beta). I think I might go back and try to reinstall the old beta version, at least that was flyable.

#3655937 - 10/04/12 01:37 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Zimmerdylan
I found myself in a bright purple Mustang

That is the Voodoo racing skin. http://www.indysportaviation.com/titan/VooDoo5.jpg

Quote:
armed with missiles.

Rockets, which the Mustang used in WW2. http://www.catalystwwiifacts.com/images/web5in_rocket.jpg

Quote:
I'm finding that the performance overall has gone down a little and there are some bugs in the control setup.

Performance returned to previous levels for most people after the update. Optimization work is always on-going though.

Quote:
So I guess that the ME109s in the trailer are just eye candy to get chumps like me to buy this thing.

There were no ME-109's in the trailer.

Quote:
It's just dissapointing when you watch a trailer with the complete WWII package

Where?

Quote:
you end up having to face down Migs and get shot at by SAMs

Don't put MiGs or SAMs in your mission.

Quote:
Even the other P-51 in the missions menues outfly and outclass my plane. They seem to have no regulation whatsoever as they do 90 degree climbs and don't slow down even a little.

Or maybe you need a little work on your skills smile

Last edited by GrayGhost; 10/04/12 01:38 AM.

--
44th VFW
#3656045 - 10/04/12 05:00 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

So after a long bout with downloads, activation / deactivation problems, and corrupt install logs.....whew! I got P-51 Mustang working with the new update. I have to say......I don't think it was worth the effort.
There are quite a few bugs in this finished product. The Beta version was a little easier to use. I am getting terrible lag for the first 10 seconds or so. So bad that the screen almost freezes and scenery loads come in and out. When I do anything within those 10 seconds...I get kicked to the desktop but I am still in the game. I click back on the Icon and several seconds later...I recover with full graphics, and no problems. Hmm....
The first time I just put up a quick mission. I found myself in a bright purple Mustang armed with missiles. It was actually really funny. After quitting the round to see if there was some kind of skin option in the menu, I went into a quick mission. The plane looked cool enough but again....laaaaaaag for the first 10 seconds and the whole scenario started all over again.
I'm finding that the performance overall has gone down a little and there are some bugs in the control setup. We didn't get any WWII adversaries or ground vehicles. Somewhat dissapointing. I don't see that ever getting fixed at this point. So I guess that the ME109s in the trailer are just eye candy to get chumps like me to buy this thing. I'm not completely unhappy. I enjoy taking out ground targets and will probably play it from time to time.......It's just dissapointing when you watch a trailer with the complete WWII package and you end up having to face down Migs and get shot at by SAMs in a simulator that touted none of this. I just turn all of that off in the quick mission setup menu. I do take pleasure in trying to down the helis. They're the only aircraft in this sim that the P-51 can take out without having to respawn 30 times. Even the other P-51 in the missions menues outfly and outclass my plane. They seem to have no regulation whatsoever as they do 90 degree climbs and don't slow down even a little.
I believe that I am one of a very few who purchased the P-51. Judging by the views and responses I see in the P-51 threads. Well....If you are wondering about it....I wouldn't invest in it right now. Maybe later I don't know but it's a pretty useless toy in the DCS lineup right now.
I am a WWII plane lover. I had the A10 and Flaming Cliffs I and II and did not enjoy them nearly as much as I do WWII sims. So I don't believe I will invest any more money into the DCS franchise unless they actually gear up a little more in this area.
Thanks for all of your help with my tech. problems guys!!!

It's fun for what it is......

My two cents - I reckon it's frigging brilliant.

Yes. It's a WW2 aircraft in a modern environment but I reckon give it time and the WW2 mods will come.

The aircraft is a real challenge to fly. A huge workload for the pilot. Makes me respect those guys who flew them on 8 hour return missions over Japan. Shooting down an enemy must have been a secondary consideration, just keeping the thing trimmed out and straight and level is challenge enough.

Don't sit on the fence. Buy this puppy and learn to fly it proper until someone puts up some proper WW2 mods. You might just have mastered it by then!

#3656225 - 10/04/12 02:32 PM Re: Update [Re: GrayGhost]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
I found myself in a bright purple Mustang

That is the Voodoo racing skin. http://www.indysportaviation.com/titan/VooDoo5.jpg

Quote:
armed with missiles.

Rockets, which the Mustang used in WW2. http://www.catalystwwiifacts.com/images/web5in_rocket.jpg

Quote:
I'm finding that the performance overall has gone down a little and there are some bugs in the control setup.

Performance returned to previous levels for most people after the update. Optimization work is always on-going though.

Quote:
So I guess that the ME109s in the trailer are just eye candy to get chumps like me to buy this thing.

There were no ME-109's in the trailer.

Quote:
It's just dissapointing when you watch a trailer with the complete WWII package

Where?

Quote:
you end up having to face down Migs and get shot at by SAMs

Don't put MiGs or SAMs in your mission.

Quote:
Even the other P-51 in the missions menues outfly and outclass my plane. They seem to have no regulation whatsoever as they do 90 degree climbs and don't slow down even a little.

Or maybe you need a little work on your skills smile

Woa there...relax a little. No one is downing the sim. I'm just telling you what I saw so relax.....sit back, and take everything with a grain of salt. It's the internet.
Although your points are valid points....my observations are also valid observations. I did find myself in the Voodoo racing skin in a combat mission....no big deal, it was pretty funny. The next time I opened it, the Voodoo was gone. I just had to laugh...thats all.
And as I stated in many previous posts, I am aware that I can remove modern aircraft and vehicles and I often do. I'm not complaining...again, just observing and stating the general feeling of people who also were looking to see if they were going to give us time period toys to play with.
And yes...you were correct. No ME109s in the video. However...this fooled a lot of people because it's all over some threads that there were ME109s in the trailer. It was the German skin on the P-51 and I believe that we all kind of saw an ME109 out of the paradigm of the genre. I am sure that there will be more WWII aircraft. I'm just dissapointed that we can't set up a WWII server with different period aircraft at this point. I would love to rent a server and do that at some point and if DCS creates a few Mitsubishi and Messerschmitt aircraft...I'm all over it.
So please...stop being so critical. Realaaaax. No one is trying to trash the sim.

#3657341 - 10/05/12 09:38 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

#3690335 - 11/29/12 04:25 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
ATAG_chair1 Offline
ATAG_chair1  Offline

California
Since installing the update my game forgot some of the control settings. I remapped some of these axis commands but the sim keeps forgetting some of them, and not the same one twice in a row????????

Whats up with this.:{

#3690601 - 11/30/12 02:50 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Which update did you install, Chair? Going from DCS World 1.2.1 to 1.2.2 wiped my configuration, but just the one time - it's been solid since then.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3690844 - 11/30/12 04:30 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
ATAG_chair1 Offline
ATAG_chair1  Offline

California
I uninstalled the whole works then installed 1.2.2. This has also cause the stabillity of the plane to be more on the edge as far as I can tell. I found a problem with my throttle on my 940 from Logitech . There appears to be a wire touching something or moving when
throttle is moved to full open. This causes the flaps to open all the way. I have a problem with my equipment which may explain everything. frown

Last edited by ATAG_chair1; 11/30/12 04:32 PM.
#3691026 - 11/30/12 10:25 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
You didn't say which version you uninstalled, but going from a standalone version of a DCS sim to DCS World starts you off with all new config files.

Other folks are having problems with the 940 in DCS. Maybe you're not alone, but, just to be sure, double check the Axis Controls assigned in the options menu - you might have an issue there.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3733037 - 02/09/13 10:50 AM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
New images, P-51D future Kneeboard from ED russian forum section.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1660960&postcount=99

More News to the Front
#3733168 - 02/09/13 07:36 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
Quote:
New images, P-51D future Kneeboard from ED russian forum section.

As far as I know this was just a custom kneeboard suggestion for an organized cross-map flight they were planning. Unfortunately due to connection drops only one of them made it all the way through.

Last edited by EvilBivol-1; 02/09/13 07:37 PM.

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#3741154 - 02/24/13 11:45 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain

More News to the Front
#3761116 - 04/01/13 11:37 PM Re: Update [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I had a brief issue with my game version not being correct, fixed that. I assigned all my Flight Axis and was up and flying with no problems save a twitchy rudder, fixed that. I only had stutter and lag when I first joined a server, had a black airplane and interior which popped in layer by layer with the instrument faces being the last thing to materialize after that it was fine. I agree it needs some stuff to go with it ..adversaries, et al. But hey it's spanking new and it was $9.99, I can't complain.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.