Yes, Weapons mods affect FM in ROF.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3688273 - 11/25/12 09:04 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: paf_eaf310]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: paf_eaf310
Yes, Weapons mods affect FM in ROF.

Also it's weight must effect the amount of ammo you could carry for those Spandaus

You originally could carry a thousand rounds, any more you'd never be able to take off. How many rounds are you allowed ?

That's the reason German Scouts Never carried bombs. . . too heavy to Lift it off the ground

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/26/12 01:47 AM.

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
#3688311 - 11/25/12 11:31 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Sopwith_Camel

WTF???? You have to pay $0.75 in order to have an "window-style" opening in the upper wing of the Camel!! rolleyes

One more reason why I prefer OFF to ROF and more even with the upcoming WOFF and all the awesome stuff that it brings in a single package alone!

#3688352 - 11/26/12 01:29 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Strictly as a point of information as it appears there are a great many ROF fans around these parts, this would be the place to ask. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if such a feature exists in ROF or Not

As I'm an OFF fan for past few years, I consider it a used to feature and I can't see any WWI simulation without it

You can fly as the pilot of the two seater, however you become the rear gunner with only one key, so then your Joystick controls the rear gun.
It used to be not as good in previous versions as when you switched to gunner the aircraft behaved like it was in autopilot . .straight and level . .which means you got shot down a lot.
Now the pilot takes evasive action which is more fun, as many times the fighters give up the attack

One tactic used by the fighters, is they shadow you just out of range directly behind you at the same altitude
So you can't shoot at him without risking hitting your own tail. .

If your quick enough switch back to the front seat. . nose dive 200 feet, level out, and chop your throttle . . switch back to gunner . . that fighter is now 200 feet above you. . and in range . .HELLO

Word around the campfire, that will all be done automatically by pressing one key in the newest issue which they're working on now

A two seater stays very low so it can't be attacked from below. . problem is they're exposed to infantry weapons

Or it travels so high because it takes a special engine to do it. But it's also extremely cold up there, and the cockpits on the scouts aren't big
enough to allow the heavy coats needed to insulate the pilot from the cold

My favorite is the Bristol Fighter with those twin guns in the rear. It's also not to shabby with it's twin 112 lbers

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/26/12 01:57 AM.

#3688431 - 11/26/12 05:20 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
My question would be aside from the simulation you prefer.

Where did they find such men then, people who would fly high into the sky, in a kite with a motor without a parachute knowing you were a dead man if that motor ever stopped. And with the engines available then, weren't all that reliable but it was the best that existed then.

Flying in an open cockpit subjected you to bitter cold with a 110mph wind chill that you couldn't get away from. You couldn't take your feet off the pedals and stomp your feet in an attempt to stay warm as there was no floor other than some canvas. I know mountain climbers lost toes due to frostbite, what about pilots. The thin air had to be painfull to breathe

Plus if your aircraft featured a Rotory engine, your air such as it was, was full of atomized castor oil. Castor Oil is a Horse Laxative, no wonder the officer's mess used a lot of cheese. and the favored drink was Brandy as it was binding for Humans.

You had to stick wads of cloth in your ears, lest you became deaf as a post from the engine noise.
During the first two years there was no flying mask for pilots, so in order to prevent massive frostbite on any exposed flesh, you covered your face with animal grease

And you wore a silk scarf to stop your neck from chafing badly as you put your head on a swivel constantly looking for other aircraft. You couldn't hear him coming over your engine, plus you used ear plugs. also you used the scarf to wipe your goggles.

When you knew you were going to crash land, just before you hit, you took off your goggles as the Lenses were glass, which could really ruin your day on impact

Real Bravery were pilots of the British two seat Bombers. They had a top speed of 85mph and couldn't manuver worth a damn. So they flew in tight formation for Defence. Merely seeing a German Fighter meant they were gonna die.
The Great RED BARON's first 40 kills were British bombers. This murder took place till early 1918 when British Command stopped the use of the BE2C's

And even during the best of times some nut is shooting a Machine Gun at you, and the chap on the ground with the AA gun has only one purpose in Life,. . to end your's

#3688433 - 11/26/12 05:22 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Uncleal
It's the first I've ever heard of the larger caliber guns on the SPAD.

Please, are you being serious? It's a well-known fact that Frank Luke used a Spad 13 with at least one balloon gun. Others in the 27th Aero did as well. From Gorrell's History of the AEF:

#3688435 - 11/26/12 05:28 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: ricnunes]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
WTF???? You have to pay $0.75 in order to have an "window-style" opening in the upper wing of the Camel!! rolleyes

And yet, somehow, life goes on.

#3688442 - 11/26/12 05:38 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Also it's weight must effect the amount of ammo you could carry for those Spandaus

You originally could carry a thousand rounds, any more you'd never be able to take off. How many rounds are you allowed ?

No restrictions on the amount of ammo that can be carried for the Spandaus, with or without weapon mods. The player has the option of reducing the starting ammo loadout by 50% for each gun. The overwing Lewis trophy gun for the Albatros planes (D.III OAW and D.Va) is fitted with 4 x 97-rounds.

#3688444 - 11/26/12 05:45 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As I'm an OFF fan for past few years, I consider it a used to feature and I can't see any WWI simulation without it

You can fly as the pilot of the two seater, however you become the rear gunner with only one key, so then your Joystick controls the rear gun.
It used to be not as good in previous versions as when you switched to gunner the aircraft behaved like it was in autopilot . .straight and level . .which means you got shot down a lot.
Now the pilot takes evasive action which is more fun, as many times the fighters give up the attack

The joystick does not control the turret gun in Rise of Flight. The plane can be flown either by the player when occupying a gun turret, or control of the plane can be handed over to the AI in such circumstances.

#3688463 - 11/26/12 07:51 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: ricnunes]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia

One more reason why I prefer OFF to ROF and more even with the upcoming WOFF and all the awesome stuff that it brings in a single package alone!

Well you don't have to pay, only if you want the cut-out, but really the work they have done on this sim makes occasionally spending a dollar or two worth it.

We all have our favourites for what I like doing ROF suits me better, although there are many features in OFF that I would love to see in ROF, Id be surprised if that wasn't reciprocated by fans of OFF.

Whatever you do don't let the the cost of extras worry you it is a great game with or without and when a sale is on they are very cheap so I just stock up then, I mean flight simming if you want all the gear has never been cheap anyway.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3688510 - 11/26/12 12:06 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Yes, I know that I don't have to buy the "cut-out" in order to play the game (ROF) afterall it's an "addon". It's just that I find that charging players that want a "cut-out" in the upper wing of the Camel just plain ridiculous! And I also fell the same way regarding other addon stuff such as .45 pistols or scarfs - just plain ridiculous charging money for this!
I understand that a dev may want to charge money for a pack of addon flyable extra aircraft (but I refuse to buy a single WWI aircraft), that's fine with me but charging for pistols, wings "cut-outs" or scarfs, come on...
I simply dislike and distrust this kind of business!

#3688559 - 11/26/12 01:36 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: ricnunes]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL

Really, you're complaining about $0.75? Next you're gonna tell us it's the principle of the thing or some such bullocks.

No it's not, it's $0.75 and that supports a business model that provides a steady stream of improvements/new content. You just don't get that elsewhere.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688589 - 11/26/12 02:40 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: LukeFF]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
It's the first I've ever heard of the larger caliber guns on the SPAD.

Please, are you being serious? It's a well-known fact that Frank Luke used a Spad 13 with at least one balloon gun. Others in the 27th Aero did as well. From Gorrell's History of the AEF:

I'm being extremely serious and another little fact which gets in the way, is the standard aerial Vickers in 7mm. Which in itself shows that the story which it is, was authored by a European who doesn't know his elbow from a hot rock.

That Vickers was .303 British

I've never heard of one in 7mm, which would be .28 caliber

The reason behind the incendiary ammo in the Lewis gun on the top wing, was in the first two years of the war, the incendiary ammo then available would self-ignite from engine heat alone, often with nasty results.

This caused the British to use the Prius Rocket as a source of fire. The Prius was little more than an over grown July 4th firework. Each aircraft was equipped with eight electrically ignited rockets which fired all eight in one shot. Problem was. . you had to get mighty close to the target to score a hit. And you might set your wing man or your self on fire. To say they weren't very accurate is a gross understatement
Nobody liked them.
Thank God by January 1917 they solved the problem of the incendiary ammo, and the Prius Rocket VANISHED

The Germans not having the Lewis Gun as it was a British Weapon experimented with ammo cans fastened to the outside of the fusilage away from engine heat

The Austrians used a single Spandau inside a nacell atop the wing, which never worked very well

Which then causes me to think just how the heck did a German Aircraft mount a British weapon on it's upper wing ? Anything is possible in a Fable.
What did they shoot . . captured ammo ?

#3688594 - 11/26/12 02:57 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Barkhorn1x

Really, you're complaining about $0.75? Next you're gonna tell us it's the principle of the thing or some such bullocks.

No it's not, it's $0.75 and that supports a business model that provides a steady stream of improvements/new content. You just don't get that elsewhere.

The reason for his complaint is not the 75 cents. But that viewing window is standard equipement on all Sopwith Camels. Without it that aircraft would never leave the factory

The more I'm exposed to the finer points of ROF. I'm beginning to realize more and more that it is only a RUSSIAN Wet Dream

#3688597 - 11/26/12 03:07 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL

The reason for his complaint is not the 75 cents. But that viewing window is standard equipement on all Sopwith Camels. Without it that aircraft would never leave the factory

The more I'm exposed to the finer points of ROF. I'm beginning to realize more and more that it is only a RUSSIAN Wet Dream

A couple of comments:
- Really? You should look again as that mod is certainly not the "standard" cut-out.
- As you admitted earlier you've never even flown ROF but you somehow feel free to comment on it and you're continued focus on trivia (half the time your incorrect) makes you look a bit ridiculous.
- In other words your opinion of ROF means nothing as you know nothing about it.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688608 - 11/26/12 03:27 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

Please stop posting until you have tried RoF. The Camel has a viewing window standard. You pay for an enlarged window. That is all. Some of the other weapon mods are a stretch, it is true, but you don't have to buy them.

Rise of Flight's business model is fair. The only downside I've seen is that it puts a lot of incentive into adding new content, and very little into improving old content. I don't think we'll ever see the super-slow helicopter-Pfalz D.IIIa made to behave like the aircraft described by pilots and historians. hahaha

#3688626 - 11/26/12 04:12 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
In much the same way as the bullschitt of available optional weaponry

I ask yet again as to the authenticity of that skin on the DVII as was shown to me, with the seven dwarfs on the side.
I only ask because I've personally never seen such a skin in OFF.

In OFF we have many fans who themselves are German, and they've never commented on such an outstanding skin.

Myself I never fly for the dark side, so I'm stuck with 23 shades of mud brown.
But those bright colors, make excellent targets and they all burn just as well as the next.

Myself I've been pushing the Sopwith Triplane almost exclusively for the past few years as I find the single gun more than enough, except when I get the urge to fly in a two seater as the rear gunner.

I've been booted off the OFF Forum for my bad attitude, it seems I'm too harsh with the newbies, bad for business you know. Should anyone seek some TRUE facts, which around here . . True seems to be a four letter word.
They should consult the STICKY: Essential OFF tips and tricks. . . Scroll down page 4 until you see my name, and start reading. Warning it continues for four pages. Some of it might even apply to ROF . . but I doubt it

#3688661 - 11/26/12 05:07 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL

I ask yet again as to the authenticity of that skin on the DVII as was shown to me, with the seven dwarfs on the side.
I only ask because I've personally never seen such a skin in OFF.

In OFF we have many fans who themselves are German, and they've never commented on such an outstanding skin.

Dude, what? It's actually a very well known skin and I've posted a link above with actual photos from WWI of that skin and you don't think it existed? Geez, stop beclowning yourself.

Quote:
I've been booted off the OFF Forum for my bad attitude, it seems I'm too harsh with the newbies, bad for business you know. Should anyone seek some TRUE facts, which around here . . True seems to be a four letter word.

Gee, I guess they are missing out on all the wonder that is you. nope

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688672 - 11/26/12 05:24 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
OFF can be anything you wish in the type of experience you encounter. As there are numerous settings in Workshop where you can customize your type of play

Ranging from Casper Milktoast where none bother you as learn to handle a WWI Bird
To
A white knuckle affair which causes you to wish your mother never met your father.
I used to fly with a bowling towel, to wipe the sweat off the joystick between sorties

But hands down is the Top Shelf operation of the manager. Since Phase 3 was released in 2009, I've yet to fly the same mission

Same type. . of course, but that's where it ends. You'll almost feels like you're there.

And as the WAR progresses it gets nastier and nastier.
From the keep busy missions you fly in 1915 where enemy contact is rare. To those in 1918 where the 20 aircraft furballs are all to common

Since I no longer have a Death Wish, I'm comfortable in 1917.
You could lower the level of AI agressiveness in workshop, but I retire that pilot when my campaign advances to 1918

What I long for is the ability to transfer out of one squadron into the next.... taking my Log book with me.
At present when the History books say a unit recieved an aircraft which is not yet available in OFF, your pilot just dies.
Thankfully the transfer problem is rectified in the new WOFF or so I'm told

Also there seems to be a problem dealing with the awarding of medals. I couldn't care less about medals. But today some players seem to treat OFF as a RPG more than a Flight Simulation

In the beginning Padlocking was Officially frowned upon, because the views in CFS3 Stink. Instead Trackir was pushed for situational awareness. But around 2008 there was an influx of future customers who didn't know about Trackir, so Padlocking became OK

It's possibly true about my piss poor attitude, to me this is not a business, this is War. And War has the nasty habit of being Harsh

#3688749 - 11/26/12 06:55 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Which then causes me to think just how the heck did a German Aircraft mount a British weapon on it's upper wing ? Anything is possible in a Fable.
What did they shoot . . captured ammo ?

The Germans were well-known for mounting captured weapons on their aircraft. Including sights...

Experimental Lewis mount on Alb D.V

It wasn't common, but it did happen.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.