Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
#3686260 - 11/21/12 08:04 PM Best Current WWI Sim?  
Captain_Napalm Offline
Captain_Napalm  Offline

Hi guys,

I'm new here. My very first Flight Sim ages ago was the original Red Baron, which I absolutely loved.

Now that I'm getting back into Flight Sims, I was wondering what are some of the best current WWI Flight Sim games?

So far I know about Rise Of Flight (Looks great but also a bit pricey) as well as Over Flanders Field.

Which is your favourite?

Best regards

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3686272 - 11/21/12 08:40 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
paf_eaf310 Offline
paf_eaf310  Offline

Actually ROF is coming free with 2 planes flyable.
So, nothing stops you to try it out without paying a penny.

And then there is OFF. (Next version WOFF is in work) You get plenty of content for the price.
Although the gameengine is abit old wink But amazing what the OFF team was able to get out of it.

Last edited by paf_eaf310; 11/21/12 08:44 PM.
#3686492 - 11/22/12 04:58 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Welcome to SimHQ, Cap'n! Rise of Flight is my favorite WWI, and don't let all the $ signs scare you off - you can fly with the free airplanes, or buy just one or two other planes to round out your hangar and end up not spending much more than you would for any other average flight sim.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3686585 - 11/22/12 12:14 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Welcome to SimHQ CN,
Humm what is the best current WWI flight sim? Thats a tough call since both current sims shine brightly in certain areas and not so much in others. I agree with what EP said about RoF, you can try it for free so you got nothing to lose there. OFF has no demo and a newer version is in the works with the release date as yet undetermined (could be tomorrow or next year). As far as I know the new version will not be compatible with OFF. So while it may sound like RoF is the clear winner it's not as simple as that since both sims offer much depending on whats more important to you as the player. I would suggest doing a lot of research on both but I feel in the end you will probably be like most here and end up buying both hahaha
cheers

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
#3686676 - 11/22/12 03:04 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: paf_eaf310]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Originally Posted By: paf_eaf310
Actually ROF is coming free with 2 planes flyable.
So, nothing stops you to try it out without paying a penny.

And then there is OFF. (Next version WOFF is in work) You get plenty of content for the price.
Although the gameengine is abit old wink But amazing what the OFF team was able to get out of it.

Paf summed it up quite well. I will add the following:
- ROF requires a more "beefy" system to play
- ROF features an unlimited (no timeout) free demo so go ahead and try it:

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

- It is truly amazing what OFF has accomplished as the sim is based on CFS3 and - to me - that series was crap from the first iteration to the last. So the content is indeed great but the underlying engine has limitations and is quirky as hell.

Oh, and is ROF "pricey"? Sure is. But you get what you pay for and if you are a dedicated flight simmer you know you are in a niche market and have already spent hundreds of $$ on a good rig, joystick, pedals and TrackIR. Are you really going to cheap out on the sim itself?

Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 11/22/12 03:06 PM.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3686731 - 11/22/12 04:12 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3686740 - 11/22/12 04:36 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
For me the best WWI is definitly and by far (except for Red Baron 3D): Over Flanders Field (Phase 3)!

IMO, Over Flanders Field (Phase 3) is the only true "spiritual" sucessor of Red Baron 3D currently available since it's only one that not only equals Red Baron 3D (and its feature list) but also surpasses it!

#3686809 - 11/22/12 06:23 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Barkhorn, thanks for the tip, just ordered ROF-ICE;it's a steal at that price. My PC won't handle it, but what an investment for the future. Definitely looks the way to go for Captain_Napalm, if he's happy with the demo. I might also recommend First Eagles, which, when modded, has a fine plane-set and great terrain and effects. It also comes with good FM and AI. Also, IL-2 1946 can be modded for WWI now, and, though still in its early stages, looks very promising. IL-2 1946 is available very cheaply at GOG.

#3687898 - 11/25/12 12:15 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
It all depends on just what you're looking for. And how good of a computer do you have. I remember a Utube from when ROF was introduced of a shell exploding on an airfield, this thing went off with such force the war would've been over in a few months as the side that didn't have such a weapon who given up rather quickly. Plus nothing is free with ROF. In WWI if your engine stops in flames your dead PERIOD Jump without a parachute, burn to death, or eat a bullet and not care. Well the darn pistol is $8.50

OFF can be a pain in the neck in that CFS3 Must be in "D"
to play ( NG on Cracks ) However if it never happened in real life, you'll never see it in OFF

There also your quality of video card, counts for much
Before you get into it check out the website paying particular attention to requirements
2.2 Ghtz and below
forget it
www.overflandersfields.com

PS . . Now's the time to pick up OFF cheaper than usual

As was said OFF utilizes a rather old game engine, it is, example when sitting in the cockpit firing the gun that doesn't have a sight ( which is the way it was ) it doesn't need one. The gun is solidly mounted to your airframe, where ever the aircraft is pointed the bullets are going to hit.

WWI Gunnery is totally different than most things, you try to ram the other guy, just before you do, fire a short burst. And change course or you Will hit'em. Long bursts are never good as the heat generated can cause a jam, that "U" won't clear like in Red Baron. Sometimes they cool and it clears . . if you're still alive that is, also if you avoided that mid-air

The physics of the newer ROF engine allow the movement of the machine gun ammo belts, along with the gun bolt moving back and forth.

Of which part of me is envious. But then I realize I'm too busy when my gun is firing to really appreciate it

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/25/12 03:53 AM.

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
#3688001 - 11/25/12 05:45 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Quote:
Plus nothing is free with ROF.

Do I really need to go into how incorrect this statement this?

#3688014 - 11/25/12 06:23 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: LukeFF]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA

Do I really need to go into how incorrect this statement this? [/quote]

I'm only asking please list what is free in the way of missions, campaigns, optional aircraft ( after the 2 freebies )

Which is only recent because they couldn't raise enough customers without it

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/25/12 06:37 AM.

#3688016 - 11/25/12 06:32 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Quote:
Which is only recent because they could raise enough customers without it

Not really. They've been running this sort of business model for a while now.

The full game is free with two flyable aircraft.

Both free flyable aircraft come with all field and weapon mods for free.

Quick Mission mode - free.

Career Mode - free.

Du Doch Nicht, Flying Fury, and Hat in the Ring campaigns - free.

Multiplayer - free.

Single mission mode - free.

All patches / updates for the game - free.

All AI aircraft - free.

So, a player could download the game and get all of that and not spend a dime of their money if they didn't think it was worth spending money on. In return though, yes, the developers do require that you spend more money if you want to fly a particular aircraft or use a particular aircraft mod. After all, they aren't a charity - they have bills to pay and mouths to feed, just like the rest of us. smile

#3688023 - 11/25/12 07:05 AM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
There no earthly reason they should give it away with the economy being what it is. Don't know they've done as far as making aircraft react as they did. . the last time I saw some of the aircraft. I didn't know what they were

You couldn't find a picture of one outside of the game. Has that changed ?

What are those free weapons mods all about

In Red Baron 3D I had a Fokker D7 with twin 20mm cannons.

Everybody knew it never existed but it was fun

What I find as fun though, is loading with rockets on all the Nieuports as well as the Camel, and the Pup. It's a CFS3 thing, those aircraft in real life could handle rockets, but these rockets belong on a P47 in terms of destructive power, accuracy, and range.

Word around the campfire . . it's vanishing in WOFF

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/25/12 07:45 AM.

#3688120 - 11/25/12 03:30 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Originally Posted By: Uncleal
Don't know they've done as far as making aircraft react as they did. . the last time I saw some of the aircraft. I didn't know what they were

...when was the last time you fired up ROF? If you are still talking about the sim that was released over two years ago as opposed to V 1.028 you are not painting an accurate picture at all.

ROF has continued to develop, deepen, improve and there's more to come.

Quote:
You couldn't find a picture of one outside of the game. Has that changed ?

I have NO idea what you are talking about here:

Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 11/25/12 03:32 PM.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688167 - 11/25/12 05:52 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Never fired it up, saw the pictures of it as it was in the beginning. Pre-release

That's the source of all my information. That and a totally unbelieveable Utube of a single cannon shell striking an airfield

That's a good looking DVII, however the seven dwarfs on the side are rather unbelieveable, as any mechanic that could paint that good, wouldn't be there, as his talents would be wasted. Besides they were mostly into less complicated graphics, because aside from your opponents split-second freeze upon your appearance on the scene. Those in your flight mainly used the colors as a form of ID. Not to count the dwarfs as they went by. As the pictures show

What I'm truly curious about is I was told of a Weapons Modification Pack.

What are talking about ? A what-if scenerio perhaps ?

#3688204 - 11/25/12 07:02 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Never fired it up, saw the pictures of it as it was in the beginning. Pre-release

That's the source of all my information. That and a totally unbelieveable Utube of a single cannon shell striking an airfield

As I stated then, your critique is not really a valid as we all know that the sim - as released - had issues. But the sim today is light years beyond that. You should fire up the free demo and evaluate that version.

Quote:
That's a good looking DVII, however the seven dwarfs on the side are rather unbelieveable, as any mechanic that could paint that good, wouldn't be there, as his talents would be wasted. Besides they were mostly into less complicated graphics, because aside from your opponents split-second freeze upon your appearance on the scene.

That is a historically accurate skin actually. It represents the Brothers Grimm folktale, "The Seven Swabians"
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm119.html

It was flown by Gefreiter (private) Wilhelm Scheutzel of Jasta 65:
http://www.flightlinegraphics.com/projects/gtm/fokker.d.VII/history.htm

Scroll down to post #29 for WWI pics of the a/c:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10999-Fokker-DVII-Repaints&highlight=swabians

Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 11/25/12 07:04 PM.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688210 - 11/25/12 07:26 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Hands down RoF.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3688224 - 11/25/12 08:02 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Please satisfy my curiousity what does the weapons mod consist of

Arcade Mode Perhaps ?

#3688228 - 11/25/12 08:14 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Uncleal]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Please satisfy my curiousity what does the weapons mod consist of

Arcade Mode Perhaps ?

Not Arcade but realistic options that were fitted to a few planes. Here are some examples:

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/SPAD_13C1
http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Nieuport_17C1
http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Albatros_DVa
http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Sopwith_Camel

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3688259 - 11/25/12 08:48 PM Re: Best Current WWI Sim? [Re: Captain_Napalm]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Does the addition of the Lewis Gun to the Alb DV have any effect on the way the bird flies, the Bird was never designed to carry that weight originally

OFF uses a field modification which is
a second vickers on the Sopwith Triplane but it's too much weight for the
engine to handle comfortably, it also is a bit nose heavy which prompted my question

Thankfully the single Vickers as it came from the factory is on another aircraft

It's the first I've ever heard of the larger caliber guns on the SPAD. Supposidly Rickenbacker used a
removable Lewis Gun on the top wing as balloon medicine, keeping the incendiary ammo away from engine heat.
That little trick the French learned the hard way, early on with the SPAD 7. As well as with the Sopwith Strutter before it. Also they used many pushers it's amazing some the stuff the French carried up in a pusher

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/25/12 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.