Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3677893 - 11/08/12 01:54 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: Vertigo1]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Rumor has it that Lucas sold the franchise to dodge the massive tax increase in January.

Interesting. I know it's just a rumor but the irony would be really rich if this rumor ends up being true.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3677961 - 11/08/12 03:48 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Rumor has it that Lucas sold the franchise to dodge the massive tax increase in January.

Interesting. I know it's just a rumor but the irony would be really rich if this rumor ends up being true.

If he set it up in a charitable trust before he sold it then the rumor most likely has legs. By doing that he would be able to avoid all taxes and only pay out 5% of the annual net revenue to charities to stay withing the legal guidelines of a charity.

At one time I was looking at setting up a charitable trust and I was amazed at how little they must actually pay out to a charity to stay within the legal guidelines.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3680349 - 11/12/12 11:44 AM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
fritzthefox Offline
fritzthefox  Offline

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
It disappoints me that someone might spin Lucas' generosity as tax avoidance. He is simply a philanthropist, and not in a cynical, tax-dodging way. He is certainly smart enough (and has accountants and lawyers who are savvy enough) to maximize his donation by timing it to avoid paying out heavy taxes, but I would hate to see his motivation for giving back characterized as selfish for taking such a sensible precaution.

#3681666 - 11/14/12 05:41 AM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: fritzthefox]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: fritzthefox
It disappoints me that someone might spin Lucas' generosity as tax avoidance. He is simply a philanthropist, and not in a cynical, tax-dodging way. He is certainly smart enough (and has accountants and lawyers who are savvy enough) to maximize his donation by timing it to avoid paying out heavy taxes, but I would hate to see his motivation for giving back characterized as selfish for taking such a sensible precaution.

Is that you Rick McCallum? hahaha

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3681767 - 11/14/12 12:28 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: Vertigo1]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: fritzthefox

Is that you Rick McCallum? hahaha
LMAO! Oh man, now I want to listen to the prequel commentaries again so I can hear that ass kissers comments.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3681914 - 11/14/12 04:38 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Once again in this thread we can George's genius in doing whatever it is he's thinking about doing now...what was it again?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3685029 - 11/19/12 07:44 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Not so fast original trilogy lovers.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25397/fox-still-owns-the-original-star-wars

The Jedi Master
As the saying goes, "the devil is in the details". smile

I wonder if George once again kept all merchandising rights for the future SW movies? He may just single-handedly bring back the metal lunch box.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3685428 - 11/20/12 02:46 PM Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for 4 billion [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I don't know if Disney would've paid $4bn if they didn't get that. Disney was the original mastermind of the marketing ploy. Long before George was even dreaming of films they were selling toys and building theme parks based on their films and shorts.

What I don't know about is ILM. Is George still the owner? The only owner? I'm pretty sure LFL didn't own ILM, they were separate.

Oddly, Pixar was spun off ILM decades ago, and now Pixar and LFL are under the same umbrella!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.