Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3676860 - 11/07/12 01:14 AM Major problem with War Thunder  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
It is amazingly unbalanced, especially for new players. In WoT you could trundle around in your little starter tank, hiding and taking pot shots at the big tanks and sometimes help to kill them. Because you could hide and use the terrain against a stronger enemy.

In WT you are totally open against players in friggin' jets FFS! What chance have I in my POS bi-plane when someone zips around too fast for me to turn and kills me within 1min of me spawning?

There is no balance and as long as players are put up against these higher players I won't play as I am just giving them more points.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3677019 - 11/07/12 06:34 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
doesn't matter how realistic their modelling is claimed to be then does it, the FMs could be perfect but if the matchups aren't realistic it is a total waste of time! makes me laugh when i think about all the #%&*$# and moaning with another sim we all know, "this is crap the spit is 10mph too slow, the 109 roll rate is 3deg/sec out" LOL

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3677037 - 11/07/12 08:02 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Hi mace, I was almost of the same opinion until someone helped me looking in the right places.

To start with: for sure this game is well done but the tutorial department is left a bit wanting.

My suggestion is to start a dynamic campaign in SP. This way you can rack up both levels and money so that you can unlock and ultimately fly better airplanes in MP.*

biggrin

Already quite better uh?

Then, still consider this is a beta so, eventually, there will be more wipe and when the game launches everybody will be almost at the same level.

Keep the faith!
K'mute.

*in the main menu, look in the upper left corner, select something like missions and then in the lowermost left corner you'll see Dynamic Campaign.

Be mindful that you can choose to keep it closed or open, so the cool thing is real players could join the fight alongside you!
I'm quite sure only Co-Op slots are open, so it's definitely quite handy!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3677136 - 11/07/12 01:22 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
This has been informative. I abandoned WT weeks and weeks ago, for the same reason. Flying over Pearl Harbor, trying to shoot down Bf-109s (109s? At Pearl Harbor?) with a P-36, and then discovering the 109s were on my side. Same with other maps. With the mixed allied/axis planesets flying together, I didn't know who to attack.

But, beyond that, I didn't realize there even was an SP dynamic campaign. Perhaps that's my ticket to figure out what is going on with this sim, rather than during the 30 seconds of utter MP confusion flying around in a butt-beater trying to determine friend from foe. So, thank you, komemiute.

#3677193 - 11/07/12 02:26 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

You flew the Arcade Battles JFM. That allows a mix of all planes on the same map.

The "Historical Battles" have appropriate sides. However, there's still 1938 aircraft going up against 1945 in "Historical" battles.

#3677200 - 11/07/12 02:36 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes, but the knack is you can still advance yourself and gain experience etc without buying anything!

#3677298 - 11/07/12 04:26 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Trooper117]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Yes, but the knack is you can still advance yourself and gain experience etc without buying anything!

X'actly!

biggrin

Gotta love this game!

Sounds are pretty awesome too!

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3677386 - 11/07/12 06:18 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

I have no way of knowing and this is only a guess, but they controll the servers. There could be some segregation to help this later.

#3677402 - 11/07/12 06:40 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

That's true for now Trooper while it's beta. But from what I've seen mentioned, unless you only want to play for a match or two a day - monies will be needed.

#3677546 - 11/07/12 11:05 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@Natty: What do you mean? Any reference on that? I didn't see anything quite like that. Seems really off...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3677550 - 11/07/12 11:10 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

I'd have to go searching for it again, but it was in the CBT forum a while back when I was searching information about FMs.

It doesn't sound off. You can play for free, but you are limited to how much. You want to make it unlimited, pay for it. It doesn't make the game not for free, it just can't be played for free 24/7 so technically it's not being advertised incorrectly.

#3677667 - 11/08/12 03:17 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
gx007 Offline
gx007  Offline

Menifee, CA
Yeah, stay the heck out of arcade. The FMs are for the mouse-drivers, not stick folks. Arcade is designed to capture the newbies so that's a good thing.

#3677702 - 11/08/12 04:31 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
It would be improved a lot if there was a mode in which you could fly with a planeset limited to a particular year (or two). That's especially in the Dynamic campaigns: currently you start with the lowest planes in the general tree system regardless of what dynamic campaign you pick - for example if you pick the Battle of Berlin, you'll still be flying the G50 and other 1939 Italian planes which never were there in Berlin (and your AI wingmen too, so the Battle of Berlin really looks surreal...). I wish this mode could be focused on a historical basis rather than the RPG level grinding system - but grinding to gain level is tied with their business model, so this might be a rigid core for this game. Time will tell whether it's a byproduct of the game being in beta or not. Meanwhile I plan to pick a Dynamic campaign where the planeset doesn't look out of place - Malta should do fine.

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 11/08/12 04:32 AM.
#3678473 - 11/09/12 05:13 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
gx007 Offline
gx007  Offline

Menifee, CA
Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
I wish this mode could be focused on a historical basis rather than the RPG level grinding system

I totally agree. It's a wet diaper experience with such a huge range of diverse planes, some never in that theatre of the war.

#3678482 - 11/09/12 05:29 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yep, the first time I saw the planeset, I thought "wow, this is going to be a living encyclopedia of ww2 aviation" - they have so many planes and so many locations. It could have the historical depth for something like OFF, yet the leveling system (and its attached business model) at the core of the gameplay has totally messed up with these possibilities, for now at least.
Just imagine this graphical engine and the available content in War Thunder coupled with a career mode like in OFF or ROF, or even a dedicated community willing to run regular online historical missions (as seen in ROF). The problem is that the free 2 play business model imposes a much more closed system, where things like the absence of SDK and dedicated servers ran by the community will fordid us to make this happen - all we can hope is that the developing team does not forget fans of historical sims (so far there is more in War Thunder for the World of Tank player than the IL2/ROF/OFF player in my opinion).

#3678514 - 11/09/12 07:55 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

itsabeta

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3679884 - 11/11/12 05:32 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I really don't understand it when people go into an arcade server and complain about it being arcadish. I also don't understnd it when I go into the Gaijin forums and everyone is complaining about how much arcade sucks. And that's all everyone wants to play. Thirty two people playing arcade, and maybe three (if you're lucky) in historic.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3679991 - 11/11/12 08:36 PM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I have been in the beta for quite a while (only play arcade) and today was the first time I have been shot down by a jet,an ME 163.In fact he got me twice and was the top scorer on the enemy side (17 kills,2 deaths)
He was getting a lot of abuse from our side which made me laugh.
Did it bother me that he nailed my Swordfish? No.I was having too much fun.This game is awesome!

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3683686 - 11/17/12 08:46 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
Hackl Offline
Hackl  Offline

Kelowna, BC,Canada
I can get into this as soon as the official game comes out. I downloaded the free demo but I see you have to pay to get into the online action and fly any kind of good 109s. I've been into IL-2 since the demo in August 2001 but I'm getting a little bored with IL-2 Cliffs of Dover right now because of the constant back and forth over that channel. The game it's self is working great for me but until expansion Battle For Moscow comes out it would be nice to get into something else that's fun to be involved with.

#3704407 - 12/22/12 10:12 AM Re: Major problem with War Thunder [Re: Mace71]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
"This has been informative. I abandoned WT weeks and weeks ago, for the same reason."

I just discovered the game recently.

Basically, when I'm online, I don't even try to get into a dogfight, because airquakes in the bozo the clown style will never interest me (I do hope it's just a beta thing, waiting for other game modes).

In fact, I just fly alone watching at the beautiful landscapes, clouds and general light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.