Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3674671 - 11/03/12 05:09 PM MWO - Resources and Guides  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
I have noticed a lot of info spread around about Mechwarrior Online, and now that it is open beta, thought the I would consolidate a bit of it for everyone. Please note that most of this info isn't mine, I am just trying to bring everything into one area. I will work to keep this post up to date with anything people add in the thread.

Getting Started

NEW: Mechwarrior beginners guide, including downloaded PDF

Homepage: Mechwarrior Online - Get registered and download the game.

SimHQ Pilot Roster - Update this thread with your pilot handle, and add fellow SimHQ members as your in-game 'friends'.

SimHQ Crimson Guard - Once Community Warfare is implemented, this will be the official SimHQ MWO Merc Unit.

Training Grounds - Official training grounds with video and control detail.

New Players info - Official page for new players info, lots of links and resources here.

Command Chair - Central location for official statements about upcoming content and future changes.

Penny Arcade - The Young Lady's Guide to Blowing #%&*$# Up

Communication - VOIP
This is vitally important in this game. Use TS3 and connect to the SimHQ TS3 Server. Use this server to meet up with SimHQ members and coordinate voice comms. For now, we are generally meeting on TS3 and then joining one of the community TS servers here:

Commonly Used MWO VOIP Servers
  • Comstar Relay Europe (Comstar EU) Available Slots: 512 Man TS3 server
    Address: eu1.mech-connect.net Password: hG5!4Dg*
  • Comstar Relay North America (Comstar NA) Available Slots: 512 Man TS3 server
    Address: na1.mech-connect.net Password: WordofBlake
  • No Guts No Galaxy Outreach Server Available Slots: 250 Man TS3 server
    Address: 63.209.37.2:9196

TS3 Setup for multiple servers
With TS3, you are now able to be connected to multiple servers in multiple tabs. To open a server in an additional tab, just right-click the bookmark and select 'Connect in new tab'. You will notice that you are only able to speak in one server at a time. There is a button the looks like a microphone with a checkmark so you can activate the mic for the current selected tab/server you are on. If you want to setup so you can easily switch between connected servers in game follow these steps:
  • Open the Hotkeys menu under Settings, Options, Hotkeys.
  • Click 'Add' to create a new Hotkey.
  • Select 'Show Advanced Options' to get all the actions available.
  • Click on 'No Hotkey Assigned' to assign an unused keyboard press (I used numpad 7)
  • Expand 'Select Server Tab', click on 'Select Next Server Tab' and click 'Ok'.
  • Click on 'Add' again to create another Hotkey.
  • Assign your keyboard shortcut as above.
  • Ensure advanced options are shown, then Expand 'Microphone', Select 'Activate Microphone (current tab)' and click 'Ok'.

You are now setup to easily in game switch between servers and talk by pressing two keys. I have macro'd these together on my G13 gamepad.

Gameplay

Joystick control
Joystick support is minimal at this point.
Link to X52 Control setup

Coordination
Some key points to help in team coordination
  • Use Voice Comms (setup above). Maintain reasonable comm discipline.
  • Use the grid references (lower minimap, ie G3) to coordinate movement and strategy
  • Make sure you are selecting your target (default 'R' key) especially when scouting. This will relay target info to all team members
  • Focus Fire! Very important, have someone calling out a priority target and focus fire. Even better, focus fire on a specific targets body part
  • Stay Together. This can't be stressed enough. The only ones on their own should be the forward scouts, who should be ready to pull back to the main group if encountering a large force. In addition, this can have the side effect of drawing one or two enemy's back trying to 'kill the squirrel' into the main force for easier destruction.
  • Find your friends - Use the 'Q' key (default) to display your teammates names and mech type in your HUD.

ECM
ECM is now in effect in the game.
There is a good description of its implementation in this thread: Guardian ECM

Statistics and Mech building
Ohm's Quick Reference Sheets
MWO Mechbay and Statlab
Smurfy's Always up2date battlemech and weapons reference site

Miscellaneous
  • Premium Time - If you have paid for premium time you will earn 50% more XP and C-bills per match will it is active.
    Currently, Founders are on 'free' premium time which will be reset in the next week or two. At that point, the player can choose when to start the time on their Founder bought premium time. Official Post here
  • Community Warfare - This will be the 'bigger game' that wraps around the matches. Fighting over control of systems and gaining 'loyalty points' for a faction. More info in this Dev Blog and this Dev Q&A
  • Cadet Bonus - On a recent patch, PGI implemented a 'Cadet Bonus' that is in effect for the first 25 matches of a new players experience with MWO. This bonus grants additional C-Bills per match so that a new player is able to afford their own mech in a much shorter time, reducing 'the grind'.

I will add more soon. I still have to sort through the other posts and bring the info over.

Last edited by MojoFlow; 11/07/13 08:00 PM.
#3674687 - 11/03/12 05:40 PM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Ohmwrecker's spreadsheets here are incredibly helpful:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/27065-o...s-excel-inside/

I download the set when updated and print out to have for builds. Makes it a lot easier to work up a mech.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3689367 - 11/27/12 08:09 PM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
New patch out today: http://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

Things of note:
- 'Stopped' premium time for founders and added an 'activate' button so they can choose when they start their premium time.
- "B1tch'n Betty" Partially implemented - voice actor from MW2!
- Custom paint and camo schemes.
- Hula Girl smile

No word yet on any matchmaking changes, so might still be 4 man drop groups.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Patch Notes November 27th, 2012
Open Beta Update #4

Upcoming Patch - Tuesday Nov. 27th @ 10AM – 1PM PDT

Change Log

Update

Greetings MechWarrior’s and welcome to Open Beta Update 4!

We have some exciting things to talk about in this patch, but first off, we want highlight the start of Banked Premium time button. The Community spoke and we listened! It has been a while coming, but Founder's premium time will now be reset and banked allowing you to activate it when you desire. This won’t stop you from purchasing premium time right now and activating your founders time later. Any of the bonus XP and C-bills you earned while your premium time was active are retained.

Next up we have Frozen City Night. This relight of the Frozen City map changes things up by creating long clear sightlines and some cool new effects in the sky. It may not be a night map that requires Night vision but that will be in another patch. wink

I can’t talk about Visual Customization without giving props to Mark Hayden, aka Hayden on the forums. Mark has been customizing Mech patterns on our concept art since the beginning and now he works on the game! So if you want an idea of the kinds of skins are going to be in your future take a look at this thread. http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/315-repainted-concept-art/ We are extremely proud that Mark has decided to join our team to give you guys the best options for customization.

It doesn’t stop there either, you have all seen the Coconut Monkey and the nVidia Dawn bobbleheads right? I now present to you HULA GIRL! Along with a bunch of other cockpit customization items and more is in the works!

Last but not least #%&*$#’ BETTY is in the game! Yes that is Carrol Ruggier’s voice, of MechWarrior 2 fame, in the game! We still have more audio to add (*cough*, start-up sequence, *cough*), and some more system refinement, but we just couldn’t make you wait any longer!

Lastly, I want to let everyone know we are working on networking, performance, and bug fixes. This is the heart of any great game and we are committed to getting the best experience we can for our players. Some things take longer to turn around.

See you on the Battlefield!

- Matt Newman

VISUAL CUSTOMIZATION

Players will now be able to customize the outer visual looks of their BattleMechs. This includes applying patterns and adjusting the colors that make up those patterns.

* Patterns - Patterns are made up of color elements which give them a unique look when applied to a BattleMech. Not all Mechs have skins available to them. Check out the matrix in the link below to see what is currently customizable.
* Paint Colors - The colors that can be applied to a Pattern are broken down into channels. Each pattern has from 1 to 3 channels. Colors can be changed on any channel that is available for the chosen Pattern.
* Cockpit Items - Items can now be purchased for the player's BattleMech cockpits. More items are being implemented and they will be coming out soon.

For more in-depth detail on Visual Customization, follow this link: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/76666-battlemech-visual-customization-phase-1/

With this, we found a rendering issue that would cause colors to not show up properly. This was fixed and now Mech colors are properly reproduced in the game. You will notice a slight shift in colors for your Mechs including Founder's Mechs and Yen-Lo-Wang.

LEVEL

* Frozen City Night
Dropped into what once was the city centre of a thriving metropolis, expect unpredictable terrain in this now lifeless wasteland. After dropping into the new frozen city environment, you will find challenges the original map did not have. From the gorgeous borealis in the background, to the moonlit night effects, you will have to be much more careful about checking for enemies; the fog has dissipated however.

As with normal frozen city, this map is very cold, and it will affect the way your mech produces heat. Heat will take much longer to buildup allowing for lengthier, more intense battles with less chance of overheating your mech.

GENERAL

* An “Activate” button has been added to the main screen allowing Founders to activate their banked premium time.
* The following applies to Founder's Accounts ONLY:
* Your premium time is now zeroed out.
* If you have purchased premium time with MC during Open Beta, that time will remain in tact.
* Once the "Activate" button is clicked, the amount of premium time that came with your Founder's package is injected into your account.
* Again, if you purchased premium time with MC during Open Beta, and you click the Activate button, your remaining purchase time and your Founder's time will be combined. (i.e. you will not lose any Premium Time).

WEAPONS

* LRM damage has been increased from 1.7 to 1.8 per missile.

GAMEPLAY

* #%&*$# Betty v 1.0
* Your Mech's onboard computer will speak to tell you of the following events:
* a location on your Mech is critically damaged
* a location on your Mech has been destroyed
* a weapon has been destroyed
* a weapon's ammo is at 25%
* a weapon's ammo is depleted
* a weapon's ammo is destroyed
* a heat sink has been destroyed
* jump jet fuel is at 25%
* jump jet fuel is empty
* your Mech is out of bounds
* your heat level is critical
* your Mech has shutdown
* you have overridden shutdown
* your base is being captured
* the enemy base is being captured
* your target an enemy Mech
* you switch to target a different enemy Mech
* The volume of these messages is controlled by the Dialog Volume slider in the options menu
* Some weapons/ammunition announcements are not in yet but they will be added with subsequent patches.

MECHS

* Decreased the horizontal arm movement on the Cataphract's, to avoid clipping the torso cannon
* Added Cataphract's walking backward animation.
* Mechs with jump jets have their take-off animations adjusted to 40 frames.
* The number of weapons seen on the Ravens' right arms changes to properly reflect the number of weapons equipped
* Cockpit/head hit area tweaks: reduced for Cataphract, Cicada and the Awesome

BUG FIXES

* Fixed a desync that could occur when a Mech had a destroyed leg.
* Users will no longer have a blurry screen after they die. This was caused when a user would die from a missile.
* Users will only be able to launch one game client now.
* Fixed Lock-on reticule not showing up for spectators.
* Cool-down bar stutter fix.
* User can no longer change weapon groups while shut down.
* Numerous text updates/corrections.
* Fixed LOD rotation issue on certain buildings in River City
* Minor visual improvements to some rock materials in Forest Colony
* Minor visual improvements to some materials in the Mech Lab
* First art pass of adding buildings to crevasse in Frozen City
* Target bones updated for all Mechs to ensure that S-SRMs will hit the proper enemy locations.
* Jenner/Founder's cockpit materials fixed
* Rear torso hit-unregistered-bug fixes: Dragon

KNOWN ISSUES

MechLab:

* Newly bought Cockpit Items are not always automatically equipped on Mechs.
* You need to re-access the cockpit and re-equip the items manually.
* Colors cannot be changed on default patterns of the Commando, Hunchback, Dragon and Awesome for the moment.
* After purchasing MC, you may receive a ‘Not enough MC’ message if trying to buy a Camo Spec or Cockpit Item without a previous logout/login.
* Restart your game client after Purchasing MCs.
* Rarely, purchasing a Cockpit Item right after exiting a match will cause the game to lock.
* Camo Spec color palette may incorrectly display previous colors after changing patterns and coming back to re-change colors.
* Selecting Cockpit Tab too quickly after saving Cockpit settings may lock the camera outside of the Mech.
* The two first Mech Bays you purchase will not immediately accept new Mechs.
* Select another working Mech Bay and then your newly purchased Mech Bay will function normally.

Ingame:

* #%&*$# Betty is missing certain prompts and repeats “AMS ammo at 25%”.
* Targeted by enemy, Locked by LRMs or Streaks, Flamer Destroyed and Start Up Sequence are missing.
* Frozen City Night can have red/green sky textures in low settings with certain system specs.

We thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

The MechWarrior® Online™ Team

#3689383 - 11/27/12 08:48 PM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Quote:
WEAPONS

* LRM damage has been increased from 1.7 to 1.8 per missile.

Huh?
I'd think cut them back, not increase. I'm about sick of LRM spamming.

edit: checked it out, I like the voice confirmation.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3704092 - 12/21/12 10:27 PM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Added ECM and Command Chair info.

#3740004 - 02/22/13 06:44 PM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
In Gameplay/Coordination...might add a reminder that the Q button shows all team names and mechs over their heads. I mapped that button on my throttle since I use it every few seconds now.

#3751149 - 03/15/13 12:18 AM Re: MWO - Resources and Guides [Re: MojoFlow]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Updated thread with link to 'beginners guide' thread on the MWO forum that includes a downloadable 53 page PDF guide!

Nice.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.