Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#367162 - 03/22/05 04:41 AM Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
FPS in the game is known to be around 30 to 40 in the cockpit. My personal game runs 32 FPS in the cockpit at the begining of training mission "Runway Landing" without having Iraq Pack. Once over the terrain, the FPS go about 5 up or down depending where on the NCAPE I am. However, the terrain still gives off a medium stuttering effect when processing the textures like stutter stutter stuttter, smooth smooth, stutter stutter, etc etc and so on. :rolleyes: I am wondering if we know now what exactly causes this in Jane's and what can be done to help and or fix this?? Below are my specs which are more than JF-18E needs but I still get the ol' stuttering and am wondering what is known for this cause. Thanks in Advance!! \:D

--Mach 4.0--
Allied Force Underground website!
F-14 Tomcats Forever
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#367163 - 03/22/05 05:26 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
skylynx Offline
skylynx  Offline

Try this trick.

Download Latency config from http://www.audiotrack.co.kr/spboard/board.cgi?id=FAQ&action=view&gul=36&page=1&go_cnt=0

Run the exe. You will see the latency setting of everything on your board.

If you look at the numbers, most of them will be around 32 or 64. But I bet your vid card is set at 256 or higher. Try bringing this down to match the rest of the board.

Made a huge difference with stutters on my machine. Not only with F/A-18 but with many other graphic/sound intensive games.

If you don't like the results, just put the Vid card latency back to where it originally was (Don't forget to record the "as found" value).

#367164 - 03/22/05 06:42 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Skylynx;
Hey. Thanks for the program. I've got it installed and the values were where you said. One thing was at 08, and a few other things were at 32, but my sound was at 128 and ati was at 256. I dropped em both to 64, tested, then 32, but to no avail in the game. Still am getting terrain stutters. Does it matter that my ati card is AGP, and not PCI?? Anyway, that's what I have found out so far using it. Maby I should UP the settings?? What do you think?

Quote:
Originally posted by skylynx:
Try this trick.

Download Latency config from http://www.audiotrack.co.kr/spboard/board.cgi?id=FAQ&action=view&gul=36&page=1&go_cnt=0

Run the exe. You will see the latency setting of everything on your board.

If you look at the numbers, most of them will be around 32 or 64. But I bet your vid card is set at 256 or higher. Try bringing this down to match the rest of the board.

Made a huge difference with stutters on my machine. Not only with F/A-18 but with many other graphic/sound intensive games.

If you don't like the results, just put the Vid card latency back to where it originally was (Don't forget to record the "as found" value).

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367165 - 03/22/05 02:42 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
skylynx Offline
skylynx  Offline

Yep, play with the values. just remember what the originals were

And always make sure the value is in multiples of 8.

#367166 - 03/22/05 05:56 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Skylynx;
Ok, I'll just keep playin with the values and see what happens. Thanks for the program link bud \:\) BTW, what values do you have your card and sound set at?? Maby I could see if it is a value my game likes. \:\) Besides this, I am wondering if anyone else knows what is the main cause for the stuttering in the game?? I remember in the past we all thought it was RAM, then we changed to CPU, and then I don't remember where we went :p Do we know yet what is the main cause??

Quote:
Yep, play with the values. just remember what the originals were

And always make sure the value is in multiples of 8.

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367167 - 03/22/05 07:18 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
skylynx Offline
skylynx  Offline

Well, a couple things I had to do with my ATI card:

Disable Anti-Alias on the card. Janes and ATI don't like it.

Shut off watersparkle from the game options.

What screen resolution are you running? And 16 or 32 bit color?

As for PCI latency, everything on my bus is set to 64 except my ethernet controller, which is at 128. Might work for you, might not.

#367168 - 03/22/05 07:46 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Skylynx,
I am able to have AA on and sparkle because I am using Radlinker V.0.9.0.8 which fixes that problem between J-18 and ati. I am currently running 1024 X 768 screen res with 32 bit color. You mention everything on your bus is set to 64. Like all the motherboard busses? Interesting, mine are set to either 0 or 32. Like before, the ati card is set to 255, and I just double checked, my ethernet controler is 128, its not the sound controler, lol. Should I post what I am showing in Latency and their values and then we can trouble shoot from there maby??

Quote:
Well, a couple things I had to do with my ATI card:

Disable Anti-Alias on the card. Janes and ATI don't like it.

Shut off watersparkle from the game options.

What screen resolution are you running? And 16 or 32 bit color?

As for PCI latency, everything on my bus is set to 64 except my ethernet controller, which is at 128. Might work for you, might not.

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367169 - 03/22/05 07:52 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Stuttering? What stuttering? \:\)

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#367170 - 03/22/05 08:15 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Wow Ghost! Sweet system and site bud \:D That system should never have any stuttering for you \:\) As for me, it's always a huge thorn in my ass about my system. Over the years I have added RAM, Processors, graphic cards, changed settings, etc etc, and I still have stuttering in the game's terrain

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367171 - 03/23/05 04:06 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
skylynx Offline
skylynx  Offline

Hey Mac.

Couple things I tried, I downloaded Radlinker and gave some of the settings you indicated a try, without much success. I noticed "stutters" too.

I think you're just pumping in more then the machine will take. First thing I'd recommend is upping your RAM from 512MB to 1gig. That should help some (I certainly noticed a BIG improvement in "smoothness" during texture draw in MSFS 2004, another graphically intense sim).

Also try DirectX 9.0c Some of the newer Raedon cards were made for it.

Hope you figure it out!

#367172 - 03/23/05 04:39 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
First thing I'd recommend is upping your RAM from 512MB to 1gig. That should help some (I certainly noticed a BIG improvement in "smoothness" during texture draw in MSFS 2004, another graphically intense sim).

JF-18 is not a graphically intense sim. It needs nowhere near 512MB or RAM, let alone 1GB. It was coded in 1998 and 1999; 1GB of RAM was all but unheard of then.

Quote:
Also try DirectX 9.0c Some of the newer Raedon cards were made for it.
JF-18 is a DX7 game. DX9 will have no positive effects.

Mac, I really don't know what to suggest; you shouldn't have stutters with your system...

#367173 - 03/23/05 05:44 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
RANGER-257th Offline
RANGER-257th  Offline

Cocoa Beach, Florida
And by the way Mac, you do not have "AA on", "because of radlinker" as you state. If this was the case. I would still be flying F-18. What you have "on" is "Anti-Aliasing: App Pref". Big difference and my greatest let down at the moment.
Vance

"Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave."
-- Frederick Douglass
#367174 - 03/23/05 05:55 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Hey guys. I agree Joe, the game doesn't need alot of RAM, thats always a miss conception people make with games :rolleyes: and I have DX 8.1 for the sake of being compatible with janes. I too don't understand, lol. :p I have found out one thing though, different terrains have different effects on my stuttering. I found that with dark terrains and complex ones such as Terakola 2 and 3 and the grassy one, the stuttering is hardly noticeable! \:D So I am currently running with the grass terrain found on my web site, I knew I would use my own site some day, boy does it have some great add-ons!! \:D So, I am ok now with the stuttering, but in the distance will one day find my problem, hopefully :S BTW Ranger, I could have AA turned on if I want, but don't need it on since Iam running Radlinker, Radlinker is the only way to get the grid problem and Air to Air problem out of the game with an ATI card ;\) I dont know either what in Radlinker makes the problems go away, because I did a test with it. I took OFF everything that it says to have on, and the game still was fixed!! The only thing I did not take off was Z Buffer Depth, that might be needed. hehe. Ok well that's all I have for now. Thank you all for your input and patience with me on this, as you ol timers know, when I am trying to fix something, I work on it constantly till I either come up with a solution or compromise. Thanks again, Happy Flying!!

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367175 - 03/23/05 02:54 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
With an ATI card, if you disable antialiasing and you disable sparkling water and you disable low level noise, there will be no gridlines or A-A slowdown, regardless of Radlinker.

Enabling antialiasing gets rid of the gridlines even when sparkling water and low level noise are enabled. However, antialising causes the Air-to-Air slowdown.

Radlinker 0908 allows you to enable antialiasing and avoid the gridlines. If you use Radlinker 0908 but do not enable antialiasing, you are accomplishing nothing.

#367176 - 03/23/05 06:34 PM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Mac 4.0 Offline
Mac 4.0  Offline

United States
Ok, that makes since \:\) I have rad but the lowest I can set AA is App Pref and that's what I have it at now. Yes, I had Low level off and sparkle off without radlinker and that got rid of the problem but missed the texture of the water and found that rad fixed it \:\) Today I think I am going to see how high I can put AA before it effects my FPS. Last night I did a ton of testing on all options and should be able to get my post at my site up today on the results. I now too have AF on to 16X Quality, and boy does it work! It not only greatly expands the texture you see, but doesn't effect the games performance! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
With an ATI card, if you disable antialiasing and you disable sparkling water and you disable low level noise, there will be no gridlines or A-A slowdown, regardless of Radlinker.

Enabling antialiasing gets rid of the gridlines even when sparkling water and low level noise are enabled. However, antialising causes the Air-to-Air slowdown.

Radlinker 0908 allows you to enable antialiasing and avoid the gridlines. If you use Radlinker 0908 but do not enable antialiasing, you are accomplishing nothing.

--Mach 4.0--
F-14 Tomcats Forever
#367177 - 03/24/05 03:00 AM Re: Game Stuttering. Facts Known ? ? ?  
Tatsu Offline
Tatsu  Offline

For those that really like to try mess around with something and have a ATI card there's this..

http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=19

Apparently you can make your ATI card go into super sample mode... that might fix the Air to Air slow down when using FSAA since it would be using SSAA. Use at your own risk!!! I don't have the heart to try it......yet.

My second woman:
AthlonF64 4000 XP,AUSUS AN8-SLI MB,2Gig PC4200 DDR Ram ATI XT1800XT Pci express Creative Audigy 2,Win XP SP2
Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers
Cougar HOTAS

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.