Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3667931 - 10/23/12 08:34 AM Future DCS UK Squadron  
Samson Offline
Samson  Offline

Hey Chaps

I've got back into DCS after a bit of an absence and have been trying to get involved with a casual UK timezone based DCS Squadron. I know there are a couple, notably DFA and the 74th, but both of these require an account and seem to run structured missions.

I already run a virtual airline for FS9,FSX and P3D (Eclipse Virtual) and it is an aspiration to expand this to cover both DCS and maybe some other sims namely Rise of Flight and CoD.

I've really enjoyed playing on Eno's Firehouse and like the jump in with a mate and fly attitude. The only issue I have is that the majority of players seem to be US which means that when I am running through my pre-start, most are tucked up in bed!

So, to the crux of the matter! Is there anyone out there that would be interested in getting on board with setting up a UK based squad? As I already have the website for the Virtual Airline it could be expanded to include other sims, including file storage, a teamspeak server and a 24/7 game server, through our hosting provider, GameHosting.co.uk.

I would be looking for members, mission designers, mentors, website contributers. The normal gamut of personalities to get such a thing up and running.

The benefit of adding to the already active VA is that there's already a website, forum and FTP setup, with an easy option to add game and TS3 servers.

Let me know if you're interested.

S

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3667961 - 10/23/12 10:48 AM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Why not.
I've both Rise of Flight and DCS World + A 10C.

I'm also somewhat skilled in texturing airplanes (starting from a template only, so far)... So, Hi there!
Komemiute, standing by.

biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3668026 - 10/23/12 01:11 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Samson Offline
Samson  Offline

Excellent!

Two on board. Komemiute, what do you think about the plan, something casual with the option for members to jump in and out but maybe occasionally run something more structured, maybe one night a month?

S

#3668266 - 10/23/12 07:37 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Samson
Excellent!

Two on board. Komemiute, what do you think about the plan, something casual with the option for members to jump in and out but maybe occasionally run something more structured, maybe one night a month?

S

Sounds pretty much perfect for me! biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3668528 - 10/24/12 07:09 AM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Jumper Offline
Jumper  Offline

Twickenham, UK
Samson,

Count me in! A UK based squad would be good; I have the same issue with the US based one - no one around when you're looking to fly. I've played on the Pirate UK server and they're a good bunch but haven't had any luck on the 74th.

Your structure idea is a good one. Would you leave the server open for the casual drop in then lock it for a monthly structured session? Would be good to require TS for the latter.

My mission building skills are getting there and although I have no doubt there are many talented builders out there I am happy to help on this front. Happy also to mentor.

Jumper (TimC)

#3668530 - 10/24/12 07:20 AM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
petethehatch Offline
petethehatch  Offline

portsmouth.UK
count me in,

CPU Intel Core i7-6700 processor
NVIDA Geforce GTX 970
16 GB memory
SSD Capacity 256 GB
windows 10 HD 64 bit
joystick Saitek X52 PRO
CYBORG X Kayboard
Trac ir 4
DCS world KA50/A-10c/P51/HUEY/spitfire
IL2 1946/IL-2 C.O.D/R.O.F/ARMA 3/silent hunter beta
#3668539 - 10/24/12 07:58 AM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
JahManRed Offline
JahManRed  Offline

Ireland
I am also having the same issue finding a good server. So I am in. I am in Northern Ireland.
What can I do to help. emmm, I build missions and I am a ok artist with skinning and web building experience.
I fly with a few guys on my missions using TARS and they would be interested too.

#3668729 - 10/24/12 04:13 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
flying-hamster Offline
flying-hamster  Offline

Birthplace of the spitfire!!!
sounds perfect I'm in.

tomcat

PSN: solenthamster00

Xbox: solenthamster00

WOT: hamster13007

uplay: cdn.402.hamster

steam : cdnhamster

Elite dangerous: solenthamster00

ASUS Rog strix Z390,Intel i7-8700k,Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz ,GTX 1080Ti, Alienware34 superwide Monitor,Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb SSD, WD 2Tb Black HDD,Corsair H115i,Fractal designs R6 case,thrustmaster warthog HOTAS, Track Tr3,steelseries apex pro keyboard,Corsair dark pro se rgb mouse.
#3668752 - 10/24/12 04:48 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Spookily enough I have just reinstalled A10 and am about to embark on the nightmare that is getting it to run again with eyefinity plus a 4th monitor running helios and exported instruments ( It did all work once honest, but now I'm scratching my head and beginning to wonder...but I digress )

I would certainly be up for joining a UK based squad however I have pretty much forgotten everything I had learned ( which wasn't a great deal to begin with ) and haven't got any skills to bring to the party!

So if you don't mind a complete probie, I'm in... If you'll have me salute

Last edited by Ratcatcher; 10/24/12 04:48 PM.
#3668803 - 10/24/12 06:00 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Samson Offline
Samson  Offline

Wow.

I'm overwhelmed by the response, i reckon we've got enough on board to get up and running, soooo.

Can you guys have a look at our VAs website and let me know what extra sections, if any, you think we'll need.

Eclipse

If you could thrash out anything you'd like or not like to see i'll start putting things together.

S

#3668913 - 10/24/12 09:36 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Hey Samson,

Just had a quick look at your web site, I like it. The design is nice and simple, not too fussy and easy to read!

Obviously a dedicated forum section for DCS would be good, but I was thinking you could have a DCS page on the main site to tell a little about the sim, could give your other civil aviation member's an insight into mil sims and encourage some to "turn to the dark side" wink

Maybe have a section like SimHQ's "after action reports", which ( once things are up and running )would detail the scheduled flight sessions, describing the mission/ training task, highs, lows, learning points. That kind of thing.

#3668921 - 10/24/12 09:51 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Jumper Offline
Jumper  Offline

Twickenham, UK
Nice website.

I guess the question of extra sections depends on what kind of squad and flying you're aiming for. Eno's works because its an open server that can simply be dropped into; if you replicate this you probably just need a method of communicating what mission is up and when. As with Eno's, a forum can work for this. Fire up the server, let people know its there, and people will come albeit that could generate admin overhead unless you lock it.

However, Eclipse looks like structured flying in a relatively casual framework. Would you look to follow this approach for DCS in some way?

Personally I'd like to see an outline structure; perhaps allocate 1 or 2 days per whatever when a mission kicks off and you sign up for being part of it. You could allocate a slot for mentoring then the rest of the time just leave it running for people to dive into. There's a push at the moment to get more open servers to encourage more people into DCS and multiplayer which has to be a good thing.

Jumper

#3668932 - 10/24/12 10:13 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
JahManRed Offline
JahManRed  Offline

Ireland
Site looks nice. Some DCS content would be good.
Think what is needed more than anything is a good server to play on and TS. Someone with a big pipe and a spare PC is needed.(im on 1.3/0.4mb ADSL) frown

#3669153 - 10/25/12 11:55 AM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Ice. Offline
Ice.  Offline

The Netherlands
Drop me a line Samson when you have a DCS section/website online and want more guys to join.

Ice
- 87th Stray Dogs -
#3669168 - 10/25/12 12:26 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I'm interested.....although severe lack of time recently together with the fact that I am crap is a worry lol

Perhaps someone will create a mission/scenario where a wingman goes unconscious at the controls and almost takes his own squadron out. I could play the unconscious guy quite well.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3669188 - 10/25/12 12:59 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Paradaz]  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I'm interested.....although severe lack of time recently together with the fact that I am crap is a worry lol

Perhaps someone will create a mission/scenario where a wingman goes unconscious at the controls and almost takes his own squadron out. I could play the unconscious guy quite well.

or a mission where two wingmen go unconscious... sounds good, I'm in!!

To..
#3669206 - 10/25/12 01:33 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Simbo_Sim123 Offline
Simbo_Sim123  Offline

Tonyrefail South Wales
Any room for an old guy who can take off and land but is bewildered by the bit in between flaps up and flaps down ?

Paul

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra m�d,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra m�r yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
#3669302 - 10/25/12 04:32 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Simbo_Sim123]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Simbo 123 SQDN
Any room for an old guy who can take off and land but is bewildered by the bit in between flaps up and flaps down ?

Paul

My God, I have a clone!!!

#3669444 - 10/25/12 08:14 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Ratcatcher]  
Samson Offline
Samson  Offline

Excellent.

Been having a think about the set up today.

How about following an RAF style structure, where we have a Squadron with three flights, A and B flight would be the operational flights, for guys who are already proficient with operating the aircraft, and C Flight which would be the OCF (Operational Conversion Flight).

Within C flight there would be instructors assigned to those who are still learning, tbh I enjoy mentoring as much as blowing things up!(bore da Paul! or should that be yaki da? two years on Anglesey wasn't enough time to become fluent!)

For the website I'll divide it up on the home page into Eclipse, the VA, for the Civil side and Eclipse Squadron for the DCS side, We'll share a common forum but with separate sections(as I only have access to one SQL database!)

There is already an after action section, but as it's wordpress based it'll be easy to add a few tags to differentiate them.

The server will be hosted by our hosting provider Game Hosting, UK based and dedicated to gaming so should minimise downtime and l............a............................g.

GameHosting can also provide us with a TS server, I'll start with the lowest number of slots and then depending on how busy we are increase it.

I'm keen to keep it casual, our forum and website will be viewable but requires a login to post, and I see the server running 24/7 with a combination of missions similer to Eno's Firehouse, but for one night a month/or less/or more whatever you guys want, password protecting it and registering for a mission on the forum. This would allow us to create a briefing pack up and discuss the mission before we launch. We'll publish the TS details so that non-members can jump in and go for the majority of the time.

The underlying premise it that it's for everyone's benefit, if you have a good idea about how we should set it up then let me know before we get off the ground. It would be great to keep it community driven with as many people as possible contributing.

Having said that I think some structural hierachy would be a good idea so that members know who to contact for assistance. To that end I'd be looking for voluteers for a 2i/c (Second in Command) Flt Cdrs (Flight Commanders) and QFIs (Qualified Flying Instructors) to mentor those learning. Also if there's someone out there that goes to sleep reading Jane's SAM Manual then a QTI (Qualified Tactics Instructor) would be most welcome!

Keep the ideas coming in and I'll brief the VA pilots that a load of gun-toting, bomb-dropping, people who talk about CBU HoFs and Breaklock manoevres will soon be joining the team.

And don't assume you'll convert them to the dark side, you might find yourself flying our Cessna Citation around Europe. wink

S

#3669513 - 10/25/12 09:55 PM Re: Future DCS UK Squadron [Re: Samson]  
Simbo_Sim123 Offline
Simbo_Sim123  Offline

Tonyrefail South Wales
Diolch yn fawr Samson,sounds great mate.

Paul

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra m�d,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra m�r yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.