Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3667311 - 10/22/12 08:12 AM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Zorg12 Offline
Zorg12  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Can you approach and land on planets?

I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I see no further hope.

— Julius Frontinus, chief military engineer to the Emperor Vespasian, cica AD 70.
#3667642 - 10/22/12 08:46 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
More Questions:

- Are there plans for a mission editor?

- Are there plans for modding ability (for offline play at least)?

- Will it be possible to run the offline components without an internet connection (important in many parts of Canada - which has 1/20ths the population density of England)

- Space games have increasingly been optimised for mouse control, rather than joysticks. In particular games like X2:TT by Egosoft allow virtually instantaneous turn rates (to compensate for the inherent weaknesses of mouse control). In comparison, a game like Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos provided a much better feel of inertia.

- Will it follow the traditional pattern of 'spin and shoot' that has historically limited the genre of space sims? Or will a more the game requiring you to maneuver tactically for a perfect shot (and lethal) on an enemy fighter?

- In flight simulators being in the wrong position can be deadly - but a lot of maneuvering is require to get into the wrong position. Has a more complex flight model (eg. with thrusters being positioned at different angles to lead to optimised rotations for starting or stopping a turn) been considered?

- Will craft damage be based on overall hitpoints - or will you be able to aim for specific subcomponents of enemy fighters (as is the case in modern flight simulators)?

- Wing Commander III had some of the most balanced gameplay in any space game. Will we see torpedo craft return with multiple positions (pilot, commander, gunners)?

- Will sensor distances play a role (like in Starshatter: TGS)? Will it be possible to blind an enemy force by approaching from the direction of the sun??

#3667679 - 10/22/12 09:35 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Will the game be fully voiced?

Mission briefings voiced or text, or better yet in a specific room? (IIRC WC did)

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3667756 - 10/22/12 11:28 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Is it possible to set up your own server and play single player but in the open world aspect?

Alot of people think or want the single player game to also have the open world aspect after completing the missions, is this the case? if not maybe this should be announced again as I see many forum posts thinking it's possible.

Roughly how many missions will the single player game have if you reach between 2 and 3 million?

Will it be possible for people to mod\create new single player offline campaigns?

I found Freespace 2 using joystick very difficult to hit another ship. Will SC have an auto aim function, i.e if you get the enemy roughly near the cross hair the aim will adjust to hit the fighter? (Though freelancer was mouse driven and something I balked at at first and also arcade I found I had some of the best dogfights in that game compared to say freespace 2. I do want the game to be more like Freespace with joystick control and cockpit view but have the exhilarating dogfights Freelancer had and I feel giving abit a leeway with aiming would help).

What is your main vision when it comes to the game, is it the Open world multiplayer aspect over the SP game? Many games that have both you usually find the game is really a Multiplayer game with a single campaign tacked on as a side issue. I've seen many people on the forums who want it for the multiplayer aspect say the single player game is really a minor part and will be more like a tutorial, is this the case? If so do you not think there will be a backlash from all those who pledged soley for the SP side of the game?

Wouldn't you have considered making two separate games, one a single player game and the other an MMO and have run two separate pledge campaigns? I think you'd have measly got 2.5 million for each game, don't you think putting them together in what really is or hopefully is two complete games in one counter productive to the crowdfunding? Not only would those single player gamers have pledged by now who are on the shelf (I'm one of them) about it you'd also have had people peldging for both titles.

#3667758 - 10/22/12 11:29 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Zorg12]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Originally Posted By: Zorg12
Can you approach and land on planets?

No, thats been answered on the FB page.

#3667763 - 10/22/12 11:33 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Will the game be fully voiced?

Mission briefings voiced or text, or better yet in a specific room? (IIRC WC did)

The campaign will be branching rather than linear so I doubt it will be voiced mainly down to money...lets remember I doubt many MMO game smade have managed to come in for under 5 million and Chris wants to make a SP game aswell...

I think Chris hinted that it wouldn't have as much of a story as the WC games had with specific characters etc etc.

Obviously I would have thought the briefings will be text. I'm very worried about the SP side of it so far, and it all seems very vague on how in depth it will be.

#3667777 - 10/22/12 11:57 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Lets let him answer, no need for conjecture. wink
Thanks though!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3667797 - 10/23/12 01:03 AM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Actually a lot of these questions have been answered by him already in various places. The campaign and voice capture was one of them. I forget where (could find it I guess) he stated that the campaign would be branching and if they got enough money they would do full voice capture and if they got even more they would bring in big names like mark hammel.

#3667802 - 10/23/12 01:14 AM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Part of putting a game out is answering the same questions many times. The good thing is that he's got people interested and asking. That's why we want a SimHQ interview, so our questions could get answered directly without sifting through 100 other places.

#3668057 - 10/23/12 02:05 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Fair enough, but if it comes down to a limited number of questions I would rather he answer one he has not answered before.

Quote:
CommanderRoberts[S] 59 points 13 hours ago
If we hit some of our later stretch goals I fully intend to try and get a lot of the WC actors to do voice work for Star Citizen!

RaeWyn010 3 points 20 hours ago
Will there be any form of atmospheric flight on planets?

[–]CommanderRoberts[S] 14 points 13 hours ago
Not in the initial release.

I think I will also go back through my questions and post the answers they gave on reddit and the forum/kickstarter.

#3668066 - 10/23/12 02:24 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Quote:
peppergomez
Is your POV when out of the ship and walking around only 3rd person as in the videos we've seen? Or will players have the option to toggle between 1st or 3rd person? I'd prefer to use 1st person.

CommanderRoberts[S] 28 points 14 hours ago
Third Person will be an option always - if you look at me demo the game you can see I switch to it quite a bit to show off how cool the Hornet is! And yes on changing your view when dealing with a capital ship

*Note, he also shows first person while walking around the carrier in the demo at GDC

peppergomez
Will there be any on foot 1st or 3rd person combat if it's possible to send marine raiding parties to board enemy ships? (that was two questions in one).

CommanderRoberts[S] 94 points 14 hours ago
Yes there will be boarding parties in both Squadron 42 SP game and Star Citizen's persistent universe. You'll be able to capture bigger ships, or perhaps an asteroid base or space station.

Quote:
Raw Kryptonite
On the ships, will you have a FPS aspect for fighting off boarding parties? Can we board and take over other ships? Add them to our fleet?

CommanderRoberts[S] 94 points 14 hours ago
Yes there will be boarding parties in both Squadron 42 SP game and Star Citizen's persistent universe. You'll be able to capture bigger ships, or perhaps an asteroid base or space station.

Raw Kryptonite
Are there plans to incorporate a space to atmosphere flight transition? Most games just have planets as a background image, or, as in Star Trek Legacy, balls that you actually bump into. How will this be handled?

CommanderRoberts[S] 14 points 13 hours ago
Not in the initial release. link to source

On the civilian side, will you be exiting your ship at stations to move around and interact, or are you confined to your ship doing business through a comm system?

CommanderRoberts[S] 114 points 21 hours ago
The on planet stuff will be like Freelancer / Privateer. You will be able to visit a few locations to buy / sell / upgrade ships, buy / sell commodities, get missions, listen to rumors in the bar and so on. In space you'll be able to move around in first person on spaceships, including boarding and capturing (or defending) larger spaceship s/ installations.

Quote:
Avimimus
Are there plans for modding ability (for offline play at least)?

The idea is to allow people to set up their own servers and mod like you can do on Freelancer, Or play in a curated persistent universe (that will have more reach and scale than one privately hosted) Or just play a Wing Commander style single player game offline (or online if you want co-op) All in the same consistent universe.

Oct. 18, 2012 on Star Citizen.

Some of the other questions were answered as well but not really specific enough for me to post the answer. Also I skipped some of the repeat questions.

Again, guod should ask whatever he wants to. If he feels a questions would be best answered for context for another questions or just because he wants a verification it is completely up to him. I am just posting the already answered stuff so if there is a time crunch or limited number we get as much new info as possible. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes.

#3668396 - 10/23/12 11:20 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Need all questions in by 2400 GMT on Friday!

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3668582 - 10/24/12 10:27 AM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
On reading some stuff about the "HUD" systems from Josh Strike made me think about navigation and co-ordinate systems in the game. So my question would be how do we navigate in system ie what planes of reference will they be using, and if playing multiplayer how do we reference how we co-ordinate moves, turns, interceptions, and such remembering the "any way is up" in space.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3668644 - 10/24/12 01:00 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
1) Will we have an ingame voice comms system?. Something like diferent channels for diferent players flying other ships or inside capital ships?.
I´m thinking on something like we have now with IVC on FalconBMS, where you have two buttons to transmit to two diferent channels, and you select the two channels you want to sent/receive messages, and eveyone on those channels can hear them.
Or something diferent, you can open and close direct channels to any particular player, and also you can have channels where all, or several players, can communicate continuously.
2) Same but hearing the comms of the enemy (tauting the human enemy like on WC :D).
3) Is there a possibility of flying inside of VERY BIG capital ships bringing destruction from the inside out?. That would imply more complex damage model where you can blow up a wall to scape the ship, and also put internal defense systems on big ships to counter this kind of attack. THAT would be COOL!! biggrin.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3668738 - 10/24/12 04:23 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
More questions:

Will the game have volumetric clouds to dogfight through? Clouds (or thin sheets of ice crystals) can limit visibility and make combat unpredictable in space as well as on planets...

Dynamix's StarSiege strongly benefitted from a damage model that had system damage, penetration and global vs. local damage. Will the damage model distinguish between weapons which cause:
- localised vs. general damage (ie. damage to one system vs. damage to all systems)?
- general damage vs. penetrating damage (damaging systems, but not effecting overall shields/armour)?

Will there be dispersion or probabilistic elements to weapon effects (eg. a chance of a 'critical hit')?

Will unreliability - such as weapon jams - be modelled? (similar to WWI simulators and some FPS which have misfires)?

#3669121 - 10/25/12 10:08 AM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Some more MP, others more freeplay SP oriented; a bit "spoiled" from X3:TC.

Can the player hire and command AI wingmen?
A magnitude above, can a player build and command a fleet of AI ships?
And can he do so out-of-sector (OOS), e.g. a guard squad protecting a precious station while the player is roaming the universe?
OOS - can a player have AI cargo/trade ships doing "automated" missions, e.g. ferrying resources to production centers?
Will it be possible to wage a war on economics, e.g. over-producing and selling at dumping prices to bleed out competition, or even whole sectors.

A bit more strategic, the notion "call in your friends when you are in trouble" (in that sense) scares me a bit - when I/we prepare a perfect ambush, or lure the enemy fleet to one "corner" of the universe and then launch an offensive on the opposite side - in such cases I hope the reaction time to such distress signals will be defined by the distance in the universe, e.g. it may take real-time hours (or even days?) to cross the universe. It would be sad if you could hide your fleet in well protected home sector and by some magic it shows up in every corner of the universe in a minute or two....

Last edited by WhoCares; 10/25/12 12:25 PM.
#3669238 - 10/25/12 02:26 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Additional questions:

- Are there plans for a rare 'Ace level' AI opponent (similar to the super-ace in X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter) or will all enemies be relatively easy targets?

- Are there plans for a quick mission generator / scenario builder?

- Will offline players be able to access all ship types or will they have to purchase DLC?

#3669396 - 10/25/12 06:57 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Some more economics,
Will the player be able to control/own the full production chain, from collecting resources, ferrying them to a station were they are processed to some intermediate goods, on to some final products, e.g. ore => steel => ship component?

Will all goods have to be produced out of the in-universe resources, or will items continuously spawn out of "empty space" at stations?

Can resources locally run out, by pure consumption or destruction?

#3669416 - 10/25/12 07:26 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
-How will deaths be handled?
-During a battle, do you respawn after it's over, or a few seconds/minutes later?
-Where, in your fighter/ship again or do you launch from the carrier/dock again? (relaunch being preferred)
-Penalties for dying?
-Friendly fire?

#3669424 - 10/25/12 07:40 PM Re: Q's for Star Citizen SimHQ Interview [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

How will friendly spawning work inside ships that can fit large crews? The RSI Constellation has a crew of 4. Will your friends have to ferry over to the ship from where ever they logged in or will there be existing AI crew that they can just take control of and spawn into your ship instantly?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.