Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3663859 - 10/16/12 03:36 PM Georgian Hammer - Mission 04  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT

As we continue to push enemy forces northeast we have a firm hold of Kobuleti and we are now eyeing crossing the river into Kutaisi. It appears that Allied strategy is to approach from the south thus the mission for today is to cut the river approach to Kutaisi from the west, preventing enemy troops from consolidating or fleeing Kutaisi in westerly or southerly directions.

Intel photos are excellent, showing that we must strike the longer road bridge adjacent to the shorter rail bridge.

Today I’m going to go “old school” for this mission (not really old, old school for Rise of Flight fans of course) and take a straight-up load of four Mk-84 iron bombs. I’ve also hung a TGP pod to aid in target identification. Since the flight to the battle is so short I’ve bumped the fuel down

Having been away for a little bit, the cold and dark cockpit always takes a few minutes to get reacquainted with. After getting into the “flow”, of course, things start to come back.

After about five minutes we are up and running and we blast off down the runway for the short flight to the northeast.

The lineup for on call assets is pretty lengthy for this mission…overwhelming for this pilot’s pea brain. I have on standby a SEAD flight, and two CAP flights to help take some of the pressure off. Inbound on their own strike mission is a flight of F/A-18s (beautiful new model ED!)…

The CAP flight lurks over the area awaiting me to unleash them…

My TAD display shows the friendly units queued up to strike the target area. It truly looks like an Alpha strike in action.

Further to the south, some other aircraft have designs to spoil the party…

The Navy pushes several flights eastbound and soon calls of strikes on anti-aircraft units start pouring in.

Cont...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3663860 - 10/16/12 03:36 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Our two-ship flight is routed eastbound along the high terrain that drops down to the plateau below. We will strike from the south to allow the CAP flights to work in the buffer zone between us and the enemy air activity to the north.

As we navigate to the IP, I use the TGP and slave it to the target waypoint to give me an off axis view of the target area. It takes me a minute to work out the confusion. The intelligence photo shows the same area from the opposite direction, so after checking the intel photo again I realize I need to target the further bridge.

At the IP I turn inbound toward the bridge. For this attack I decide to branch out a bit and try the 3/9 option for weapons delivery. This will allow me to put the CCIP dot on the target then maneuver slightly allowing the bombing computer to release the bombs at the right time.

Approaching the target area the radio frequency is alive with calls from other flights. The RWR is chirping a little bit, but I’m a bit task saturated. I start my roll in at around 15,000’ intending to stay as high as I can and pull off of the attack at a high enough altitude to avoid low altitude SAM threats.

The dashed 3/9 piper shows on the HUD but I’m a bit wobbly on my run and can’t get the dot to settle on the bridge.

As I try to finesse the lineup I realize I’m getting too low and risk getting into the SAM envelope below. I curse and pull off the run dry and pop flares and chaff as I climb back up and circle around to the east to reset the attack.

By now things are starting to get busy over the area so I decide to go ahead and push all three on call flights at the same time. I’m a bit too busy to manage them properly and figure they will go and do their own thing.

I redesignate the target and come back in for another attack. This time my piper settles down early and I feel pretty good about the release. I hit and hold the pickle button and the dashed line turns solid and a time to release cue falls briefly down the bomb fall line and when it hits the center of the reticle the bomb drops away.

I pull off and watch my bomb sail long of the bridge. Damn! Whose idea was it to not use JDAMs or LGBs?? I released from such a high altitude the bomb didn’t really have a chance, so my next attack I settle on a slightly lower release altitude.

The second run in looks nearly identical to the first except with the lower release altitude. I could probably stand to steepen up the attack angle to increase accuracy as well.

This bomb also falls a bit long, but apparently it is close enough that the shock wave busts the bridge up and I get a mission success cue.

Meanwhile the CAP flight has engaged some MiGs that have run down from the north.

I still have two big bombs left, but in this day and age of an older and wiser BeachAV8R, I set a course for home.

There is quite a crosswind blowing at Batumi and I crab to the right to keep my lineup.

Mission accomplished!

The strike went off as planned although I once again forgot to let my wingman in on the action. Looking forward to the next mission.

BeachAV8R

#3664017 - 10/16/12 08:01 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Kelsoe Offline
Kelsoe  Offline

A single 38 / 12 would've let you get more kills from JTAC later. I like your storytelling. keep them coming, thanks!

#3664024 - 10/16/12 08:14 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
Great AAR! With lovely screenshots! thumbsup Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3664042 - 10/16/12 08:38 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
witchking Offline
witchking  Offline

Another great AAR Beach. Can't wait to see more. Any more from FC3? :p

aka "aquarius_varun"
-------------------------------------------------
∟ояď of tђє תẵΖğύl
#3664058 - 10/16/12 08:58 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Great AAR Beach. I love the second F18 shot.

#3665399 - 10/18/12 09:53 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: witchking]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: witchking
Any more from FC3?

You might be able to write one before I get too.. biggrin wink

#3665415 - 10/18/12 10:04 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Loving your AAR's Beach,always well written with good humor and photos,keep up the good work bud.
Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#3665530 - 10/19/12 02:19 AM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
witchking Offline
witchking  Offline

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Originally Posted By: witchking
Any more from FC3?

You might be able to write one before I get too.. biggrin wink

Haha! Sounds like its close to being done. Well.. I will when it gets released. wink I think its better to let it cook in ED's hands for as long as they need and add more juicy features.

aka "aquarius_varun"
-------------------------------------------------
∟ояď of tђє תẵΖğύl
#3665610 - 10/19/12 06:55 AM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Love your AAR's Beach!

Just one question for the guy who planned this strike though: What were you thinking?! That armor is rolling across over that railroad bridge as we speak! Send out another sortie!

Derk
I'm still an airman. I just happen to change diapers for a living!

crap...
#3665759 - 10/19/12 01:39 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
JC______ Offline
JC______  Offline

Love these AARs! Thanks!

JC

Real and Simulated Wars
Stray thoughts on war and its representation by off-the-shelf computer games and simulations
#3665763 - 10/19/12 01:47 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
SlapStik Offline
SlapStik  Offline

Concord, NC
Great read and awesome screen shots!!! Thanks!

DFord8 aka SlapStik
Intel i7 2600K SB, DDR3 1600 8 gb ram, Win7 64,
EVGA GTX 570 1280gb, Intel 80gb SSD.
TM Warthog #1547, MFD pack, CH PP & TIR4

#3665831 - 10/19/12 03:38 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
tallboy Offline
tallboy  Offline

I love these - keep 'em coming. Also find your articles in PCPilot extremely useful. Thanks

#3665884 - 10/19/12 05:10 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
MartinMaaskant Offline
MartinMaaskant  Offline

Nice AAR. I flew this mission a couple of times and I always use the LGB or the JDAM. No I see that was the right Choice LOL.

Martin Maaskant
#3665912 - 10/19/12 05:45 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

i would like to know your graphics settings..

#3666899 - 10/21/12 03:09 PM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: hannibal]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Derk
Just one question for the guy who planned this strike though: What were you thinking?! That armor is rolling across over that railroad bridge as we speak! Send out another sortie!

LOL.. Man, there is so much happening in some of these missions, and I'm task saturated enough with just flying and managing my own airplane that I have a hard time grasping the big picture. You make a good point though - this is a situation when having a human JTAC or even a human AWACS (or JSTARS) would be a big advantage. The human can draw you a mental picture that the AI comments can't quite do. Having a real person with eyes on the ground battle (and putting out smoke and lasers) is a big advantage.

I've only played one MP session with a human JTAC (SimHQ's Erik "Einstein" Pierce) and it was a blast. Looking forward to more total battlefield integration as DCS World matures..

(Vote now for an AWACS module or combined AWACS/JSTAR module!) <G>

Thanks for all the kind comments fellas..

Originally Posted By: tallboy
I love these - keep 'em coming. Also find your articles in PC Pilot extremely useful. Thanks

Thanks - I enjoy writing those PC Pilot articles even though they are much more challenging than writing for SimHQ. With a limit on space (words) and images (less than 20) it can make it hard to fully explain what I'm trying to talk about. I really enjoy sending that content to the mainstream FSX type users that are more typical PC Pilot readers. Hopefully we are turning them on to a whole different genre of simming.. smile

Originally Posted By: MartinMaaskant
Nice AAR. I flew this mission a couple of times and I always use the LGB or the JDAM. No I see that was the right Choice LOL.

Most definitely. Maybe next time I'll try to strafe the bridge.. rolleyes biggrin

Originally Posted By: hannibal
i would like to know your graphics settings..

I'll grab a screenshot of that and post it today at some point.. smile Off the top of my head, most settings on HIGH except civ traffic LOW and I think clutter and bushes at the middle of the slider. I'll get a screen though. (PS - I edit the screens by cropping and adding vignette too..that darkish halo to make it look like a "camera" shot..)

BeachAV8R

#3670779 - 10/28/12 07:47 AM Re: Georgian Hammer - Mission 04 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Enjoyed this one as much as the earlier AAR's. thumbsup

Wheels

Post #18752 tanksalot

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.