Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3663819 - 10/16/12 02:34 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Okie, a couple of early annoyances that wants me to find the developer, and beat them to death with a baseball bat.

1 - where the hell is the option to disable "tooltips". I understood the Overwatch command the first time I used it. I DO NOT NEED A #%&*$# REMIND EVERY DAMN TIME I USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 - Whats with the brutal "led by the nose" #%&*$# in the base to start with? I want to explore the base, look at things, and not "Go to the situation room!".

The first issue is enough that I am starting to regret my buy already. My tolerance level for idiot design is extremely low.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3663825 - 10/16/12 02:42 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

Just double click the ability, boom won't even see the tooltip.

#3663910 - 10/16/12 04:59 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Loving it, but I really need to complain about maneuvering your soldiers inside a UFO. That aspect is completely and totally broken. You can never be sure which level you're actually selecting (and sometimes it sort of flickers between levels), but using the mouse wheel to scroll up to a higher level makes it draw the roof of the UFO so you can't see what you're doing.

I lost my favorite guy last night because I thought I was clicking on a nice elevated position with full cover but instead maneuvered him into the middle of a big room surrounded on two sides by enemies in elevated positions. Naturally, it was the end of my turn and all the enemies took turns shooting at him. I was pretty upset about that.

My next turn I used all my rockets and alien grenades and just about leveled the place. Screw research material, I was out for revenge.

edit: Oh, and then a reloaded a savegame because I'm not playing Ironman. smile
I do suck it up and accept losses though (not including this one, only actually two so far and one of those was a rookie--I had to learn about the aliens throwing grenades and not bunching up my soldiers the hard way), but I was robbed this time. .

Last edited by Aero; 10/16/12 05:10 PM.
#3663958 - 10/16/12 06:26 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I am enjoying how well it plays using a wireless PC compatible Xbox controller. Not sure if that would improve on any mouse interface issues.

I need help guys- what do I need to do in order to research plasma weapons? I have captured one live sectoid, one live thin man, and one live outsider. Still not seeing any plasma weapon build options.

How many satellites total do you guys build? I have 7 so far. Just got to the assault the ufo mission. I've lost one country from the coalition.

Also, I need more money! Can anyone suggest good strategies for earning money?

Thanks.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3663990 - 10/16/12 07:05 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
If you go to the situation room, there is an option for the 'Gray Market' where you can sell off some of the items you have captured on missions. Be careful what you sell, but this can be a great way to increase funds. For Plasma weapons, they only became available after capturing a live alien that was armed with such a weapon (like the Muton).

I have 6 satellites right now.. probably more to follow.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3664082 - 10/16/12 09:46 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Satellites seem to be my primary problem. At the moment, it takes 20 days for me to build a satellite. I think I need more workshops or something. I have seven, one of which is unfortunately over China and it's looking like China is a lost cause at this point. I started by fortifying North and South America, and my inroads to Asia were probably too little too late. The terror and abduction missions always tend to pop up at inopportune times when my squad is all laid up in the infirmary. In many ways looking after my primary squad so carefully is a bit of a detriment because I have like 8 majors and colonels, but then the rest are all rookies. I would have done well to spread things around a bit more, but trying to take on a "very difficult" terror mission with a squad full of rookies seems to be asking too much, no matter how well equipped they are.

Maybe I should build more SHIVs.

#3664083 - 10/16/12 09:49 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I got the whole world covered now, except for China and Japan as they left me early in the game and not bothered to come back. I wonder what a terror site in China would look like!

I learned my lesson with the grenades, but with the armor my guys have, I can now take a few hits and still have my guys on active duty with no injuries! Gotta love armor! On my next play-through, I'm gonna have both snipers have Squad sight, then give an assault guy a stealth armor... engage stealth, run up to the bad guys, then have my snipers take them out from a safe distance. Ehehehe...

As much as I don't like the tooltips, I appreciate the fact that it can show me how much accuracy percentage I am trading off when using a particular skill instead of another one. Or like how much my sniper's Headshot skill increases crit vs a regular shot, even if the hit rate is both 100%. I do agree with Aero though, in one of the big UFO missions, I was really annoyed at the camera and was really awkward moving the mouse as well. Still, these are pretty small annoyances on an otherwise overall fun experience.

- Ice
#3664155 - 10/17/12 12:38 AM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
Q and e can rotate the map to get to those hard spots

#3664416 - 10/17/12 01:24 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
Late comer to this one...that said I wasted so much time of my short sweet life on the originals. I got Humans v Aliens on the iPad which is a carbon copy of the first one.

Sooooooo bring it on Aliens........I love it, I know it's basically the same format but it looks so pretty. Love /Hate the squad combat, Love the look of it, hate the Aliens for flanking charging attacking shooting me etc etc.

Squad names.....LOL I though, foolishly, it was only me. I've had them named after pets...Adult Educational Movie stars, Old Army mates, Ex Girlfriends and some
Simply obscure Made up ones.....I always edit the last name to include a Key weapon so it's easier to pick out. Eg...John "Arc" Smith. Or Talloola "Med" Jones

Wish list or stuff Im missing......multiple bases ?..
More than one Troop carrying Aircraft ?? Therefore a couple of squads.

Is it wrong that I give all the Chicks Pink Armour ?..

Last edited by NickMow; 10/17/12 01:25 PM.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
#3664442 - 10/17/12 02:09 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Pink armour ftw thumbsup

Is anyone else disappointed (or surprised) that this re-make doesn't really measure up to the original as far as strategy goes?
There is so much 'missing' from this re-make,I am almost tempted to go back to UFO:Extraterrestrials or try Afterlight.

I suppose it makes it easier to get into and play.
I shouldn't really grumble,at my age I need things simpler sigh

Last edited by Chucky; 10/17/12 02:14 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3664459 - 10/17/12 02:28 PM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I wish they'd made the campaign playable in co-op- be very cool to have larger maps, more alien enemies, and two squads, each controlled by a player.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3664900 - 10/18/12 03:51 AM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
I am hoping that will be an add on. I guess Civ V is gets all kinds of lovin, so here is hoping.

Bullet

Specs
home built I7 870 Lynnfield Chip at stock speed 2.93 with Evga P55FTW system board, A BFG GTX275 Vid card, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator Mem 2600+, 1.3 TB on 2 WD Hard drives, Corsair H50 water cooler.X-65F with peddals and Tir 4 track clip pro One badass machine...
A truism "liberals, who believe that everyone should categorically agree with them because their theoretical positions are "a higher truth" than the positions of any person out there living in and interacting with the real world."
#3666361 - 10/20/12 09:29 AM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: redpiano]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Bought it yesterday, what an awesome game!

biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3666389 - 10/20/12 10:55 AM Re: Xcom Enemy Unkown! Great! [Re: Para_Bellum]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Bought it yesterday, what an awesome game!

biggrin

Shoot, now you have me wanting a full AAR about this game too! AWGOD! I wish you did...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.