Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3655714 - 10/03/12 07:36 PM Re: Improvements/modification requests [Re: Alien_MasterMynd]  
CooLDoG Offline
CooLDoG  Offline

Would it be possible for the user to set the controls in some sort of configuration file or dialog? That way we don't have to pick and choose!

Also, what if you want to fire a specific missile? You would need multiple fire buttons, right?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3655723 - 10/03/12 07:47 PM Re: Improvements/modification requests [Re: CooLDoG]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
Originally Posted By: CooLDoG
Would it be possible for the user to set the controls in some sort of configuration file or dialog? That way we don't have to pick and choose!

Also, what if you want to fire a specific missile? You would need multiple fire buttons, right?

It is getting more-and-more complex, so I put this idea aside for a while, and go back reading Shilka manuals...
... this is the most crazies docuset I've ever faced.

They have 15(!!!) pieces of 200 pages books.
dizzy

Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup
#3655787 - 10/03/12 09:20 PM Re: Improvements/modification requests [Re: CooLDoG]  
farokh Offline
farokh
farokh  Offline
farokh

I-RAN

mmm. i think for doing professional tactics with sam simulator , immediately we need multiple fire buttons popcorn

Last edited by milang; 10/03/12 09:22 PM.
#3656297 - 10/04/12 03:56 PM Re: Improvements/modification requests [Re: farokh]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: milang

mmm. i think for doing professional tactics with sam simulator , immediately we need multiple fire buttons popcorn

Problem is, it does not always work like that. Depending on the system we sometimes have individual buttons per missile/launch vehicle (SA-2 & SA-5), while in others we have a selector switch to select the individual missile/launch vehicle (SA-3 & SA-4; and failing to do so may result in nothing happening, as the selected missile can't be launched because it is obstructed by the radar).
So in some systems you can have multiple fire buttons, while in others you have to model the selector switch.
Going to be difficult to model this. And you would also need some kind of mechanism to emulate buttons, multi-value switches, dials,... And preferably for each modeled SAM system its own definition.

Talking about professional procedures, I'd also consider it unrealistic if you could operate all functions from a single view, e.g. fire the missile from the tracking radar view. I'd assume the more realistic procedure would be that the tracking radar operator calls out that the target is locked, the next guy reports target parameters like direction, speed and altitude, and the commander (depending on situation and ROE also including to ask for confirmation/permission from higher up) may issue the fire command.
As such, I consider "changing seats" as we do it now a substitute for going through such operation procedures.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.