Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3645062 - 09/16/12 03:38 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I still don't understand why certain people on this forum believe that a sequel will somehow be better than CLOD. duh And by "better" I mean TRULY "better", like what you'd actually expect a sequel to the original IL-2 to be. Not just a handful of new planes, maps and missions.

I think if I even bother with a sequel, I will be receiving it as a gift from Uncle Torrence. I don't like the idea, but I HATE the idea of giving those boys another cent of my money after CLOD.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3645069 - 09/16/12 03:56 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: FIScott]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: FIScott
After the stella response Luthier got on the Yellow boards he obviously decided not to put his head over the trench top again.

I've had a good look and I can't find anything that notified me I was buying a beta either at the time I pre-ordered my copy or before it arrived. In fact everything seemed to be pretty optimistic from the sellers side until we got to the 'the computers didn't have enough memory' gag and the 'naughty Ubi made us break our own game with an epilepsy filter' scream. Old news for sure but never the less no mention of a beta.

I know its a hanging offence to even think it but I am starting to suspect that they told a few fibs, yes, I think the ocassional porky pie slipped out. In fact I think they have been running around trying to put their own arses out for over a year and economy with the truth tends to go with that territory. The latest news asks two things of any customer- 'believe what I say and keep buying my stuff'. I would like to say 'yes' to both but the track record is as poor as Bob Poor in his poor phase and therefore its a double 'no' from me.

There is one more thing Luthier asks of us- believe that I/We can put this right. That is one I would really like to say yes to for the sake of my own future personal enjoyment but there is one minor problem- In terms of software development everything I have seen since release leads me to suspect that this team couldn't fart without messing themselves. As flawed as it was there was an undeniable glimmer of genius in the game when it was first realeased that has been utterly destroyed by subsequent attempts to resolve its issues.

I would like to meet whoever is keeping the lights on for this project and shake them by the hand, because the world needs optimists like them. I also have some magic beans I would like to sell, I think they may be interested.

Your right most of us didn't do our due diligence before buying the game, because of their past performance. That said I have no doubt I would have supported the beta, in the hopes it would eventually be finished. As far as Luthier disappearing after only answering three question, Blacksix suggested they weren't expect 120 question, but I'm surprised they weren't expecting 500 questions. I would hope they are preparing to answer a number of those question next week, but time will tell. I do think things would have moved quicker if the game engine didn't require a major rewrite, and a case could be made for their ineptitude, but I also see quality work especially in the FMB, that if fixed and fine tuned could be the catalyst for some decent missions in the future.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3645073 - 09/16/12 04:11 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
FIScott Offline
FIScott  Offline

I don't think due dilligence should come into the seemingly innocent realms of buying a computer game. All coulda-woulda-shoulda now but a paid beta like DCS could have opened the money taps and given everyone better perspective as to what was on offer. Instead we got the equivilent of 'the dog ate my homework'.

#3645075 - 09/16/12 04:15 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HogDriver]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
I still don't understand why certain people on this forum believe that a sequel will somehow be better than CLOD. duh And by "better" I mean TRULY "better", like what you'd actually expect a sequel to the original IL-2 to be. Not just a handful of new planes, maps and missions.

I think if I even bother with a sequel, I will be receiving it as a gift from Uncle Torrence. I don't like the idea, but I HATE the idea of giving those boys another cent of my money after CLOD.
`

Why would you not think the Sequel will be better, the game engine should be more refined than the one used by COD. All the main programmers time will no longer be tied up by the major graphic/performance/stability patch, and they can concentrate on other game engine issues. They'll have atleast a year or two to accomplish some of that before the Sequel will be ready for release. The new people they have working on the clouds/weather should have something accomplished by the then, nevermind the work done by all the others crew members working on game features. I suppose you could suggest that nothing will be accomplished and the developers are stupid enough to release the Sequel with no game engine, feature, or bug fixes, but I think that would be a little unrealistic.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3645261 - 09/16/12 04:53 PM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Positions on both sides of this argument can be discussed without resorting to personal attacks.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3645402 - 09/16/12 11:59 PM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
squishall Offline
squishall  Offline

BC Canada
For me this sim has always been fun to fly. I never had any real issues. I guess my standards are low.

I have written down all the user names of everyone in this thread who have said they will not be buying the next title. I have seen poeple over and over again complain and say they are done but these same people keep coming back time and time again.

I will not be surprised if you buy the next title and just start whining again. I think it is called hypocrisy.

Richard "SQUISH" Hall
#3645407 - 09/17/12 12:27 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
The bottom line is.. 1C had something with CloD (formerly known as SoW:BoB) that most developers do not have and only dream of.

That was a large,rabidly loyal,knowledgeable,articulate, fan base that was not a bunch of gamer kids who had to depend on mom and dad but mostly working stiffs with jobs and a willingness to spend their hard earned cash on a product that, based largely on it's predecessor, was expected to be another genre changing, revolutionary product like IL2 was. Based on IL2 those expectations were not unreasonable. Just look at what is being squeezed out of that 11+ year old engine still.

They squandered it. The whys and hows are not really important.

The entire IL2 community for the most part waited for more than 5 years for this product to be released through rumors,teasers in the form of pictures of trucks and trains etc etc .. ,back and forth speculations and long spells of silence.... to the point where for many it was thought that it was just vaporware. Even when it was finally released after all that, there was still a large part of the community, myself included that had the utmost faith that surely by now most of the major issues would have been worked out and at least the first sequel would have been released.. I bought CloD when it was released based solely on the reputation of it's developers in spite of some of the things that I knew going out the gate like the chosen DRM and some other stuff.. .. My rig could barely run it at all but that did not phase me much because I felt secure in the knowledge that in the end (and by the time I upgraded.. which I just did) the product would be well on the road to fulfilling it's expectations.

I was wrong.

For me I have not written off the series.. but I will definitely not be waiting with baited breath to snap up the sequel on the day it is released or anywhere close to that until I hear reviews from people whose opinions I respect and I can get what I have now running to my satisfaction on my current rig. I don't know what effect the modding of IL2 had on the development of CloD, or what caused the delay or the departure of Oleg. With hindsight we can see what could be perceived as rumblings of what was to come from Pacific Fighters on .. We shall see what the future holds.

I hope that whatever Oleg is doing now that he and his family are well .. and that Ilya & team can pull this thing together. I hope that the sequels after the upcoming one have a shorter time between them than the span between the release of CloD and the upcoming sequel. I hope that two years from now all this will be an unpleasant memory.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3645423 - 09/17/12 01:07 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I agree very few will buy the Sequel, until they see a number of good reviews from fan sites or fans they trust. That said that scenario could change a little if the RC patch improves performance, stability, and they add enough gameplay fixes, that will allow more people to have some fun with sim until the game engine, and features are further improved with the Sequel. Only time will tell, I'm just surprised the development has been funded this long.

Last edited by Chivas; 09/17/12 01:08 AM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3645451 - 09/17/12 02:24 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: squishall]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: squishall
For me this sim has always been fun to fly. I never had any real issues. I guess my standards are low.

I have written down all the user names of everyone in this thread who have said they will not be buying the next title. I have seen poeple over and over again complain and say they are done but these same people keep coming back time and time again.

I will not be surprised if you buy the next title and just start whining again. I think it is called hypocrisy.

Wow. It didn't take long for the personal attacks to start again. nope

Asus Maximus IX Formula | i7 7700k | 32GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 | Benchmark DAC2 HGC | dynaudio MKII Studio Monitors | Thrustmaster WartHog
#3645467 - 09/17/12 02:58 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

That was a personal attack? And threatening and harassing?

Wow. Just... wow.

#3645478 - 09/17/12 03:23 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
Nodak01 Offline
Nodak01  Offline

coyote country
Hmm, one could interchange milestone with millstone, gives the post a whole new meaning.

#3645489 - 09/17/12 04:15 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

No one is searching forums, and no one is being called a hypocrite.

#3645492 - 09/17/12 04:27 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: NattyIced]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
What a bunch of asshats you guys are!!! cuss2 (trying to visualize in my mind what an "a$$hat" looks like. it makesme chuckle.) biggrin I'm kidding. you guys arent really A$$hats. But I only paid forty something dollars for CoD, I felt let down but at some point you have to let go right ?? Let them make the sequel, its going to Install right over CoD anyways thereby fixing
more issues with CoD, dont buy it untill you read the reviews this time. THats what I'm going to do. Hey it might turn out alright.
We dont really have anything to lose.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3645508 - 09/17/12 06:06 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
Deltahawkoz2004 Offline
Deltahawkoz2004  Offline

Ozzie
Shame. The game didnt live up to pre release expectations. I did not feel as though it was written from the ground up as a replacement for IL 2, my impression was that is shared a great deal of code with IL2. For example, high altitude. Busted. Did it ever get "fixed"? I havent played CLOD for quite some time, so I may be incorrect. But for the price of a dinner out, I will get the sequel and see how it goes.

The lurker formerly known as Deltahawk and Deltahawk53
#3645511 - 09/17/12 06:16 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I will wait for reviews first before spending any money.
The final RC patch for COD will need to fix alot of problems to win back any trust they have lost with potential customers, if it doesn't we will have a 18 month wait for the fixes.

Edit. i really shouldn't post in the morning before having a coffee. smile

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 09/17/12 06:08 PM.
#3645514 - 09/17/12 06:33 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
Deltahawkoz2004 Offline
Deltahawkoz2004  Offline

Ozzie
Should've added I will wait for the reviews as well....

The lurker formerly known as Deltahawk and Deltahawk53
#3645522 - 09/17/12 07:20 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I will wait for reviews first before spending any money.
The final RC patch for COD will need to fix alot of problems to win back any trust they have lost with potential customers, if it doesn't they dont they we will have a 18 month wait for fixes.

I also doubt the RC patch will be enough, but if it does take a year or two for the Sequels release, I don't see why they wouldn't do a few small bug fix patches or even some feature improvements in small patches for us to beta test. That might help build a small amount of trust back, during the long wait for the Sequel, it would even increase sales if the community sees a playable sim developing. Although I can definitely see them save a few new features only for the Sequel, you have to have some kind of draw, especially if they aren't interested in the Theater, but might be interested in a couple of aircraft that could be used on the COD map and new features that will also help improve the COD experience.

Last edited by Chivas; 09/17/12 07:24 AM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3645526 - 09/17/12 07:35 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
vpmedia Offline
vpmedia  Offline

Hungary
Good luck with BoM!

When I first tried IL-2 in 2001(?) then it was very slow on my pc when I tried again in 2004 it was a supercool game which ran ok on my mid-level rig.

#3645565 - 09/17/12 10:29 AM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: Robusti]  
JG52Krupi Offline
JG52Krupi  Offline

Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Originally Posted By: Ssnake51

Wow. It didn't take long for the personal attacks to start again. nope

Agreed Ssnake51. This one is particularly threatening and harassing. I hope the mods check the IP and ban the culprit(s).

That was either David or AOA from the banana forum one of them said something very similar.

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 09/17/12 10:30 AM.
#3645628 - 09/17/12 01:29 PM Re: Sad news from Luthier 14 Sept 2012 [Re: HeinKill]  
EAF_92 Whiskey Offline
EAF_92 Whiskey  Offline

Suffolk, UK
Knock it off you guys. FFS!

I'm Spartacus.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.