Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3635518 - 08/31/12 03:21 AM Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help  
startrekmike Offline
startrekmike  Offline

Providence, RI
I know nothing about Orbiter but I feel that it is time that I ventured into it's rather inviting world, any chance that someone could give me a step by step guide on how to install both the base program and the Apollo mission addon (and since there is two, what is the best?)

I have been looking around and I can't seem to find a step by step that I can wrap my head around, perhaps someone here can just list the steps in plain english smile

Thanks so much in advance.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3635645 - 08/31/12 11:30 AM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
Rask Offline
Rask  Offline

Orbiter is pretty easy to set up. I always download the zip file, then extract it and move the folder where i want it to be. If you make sure the directory structure is preserved, which is usually the default, then Orbiter is already ready to go.

Installing Addons is just as easy. Most of them come in a zip file which you just need to extract into your orbiter folder and you are done.

Now the base installation in Orbiter is fine to take your first steps, but it lacks some nice to have features like sound and some higher quality graphics.

The textures are classified in levels. The higher the level, the higher the quality. Unfortunatley the main download site for the highest resolution textures (Level 11+) is currently down and the only way to get them is via Torrent. You can find the torrent links here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/download.php

For Level 10 Earth and Mars textures you can go here: http://orbitersimulator.com/landsat-downloads/

In regards to Addons i would like to recommend that you download the following as they really enhance the experience:

OrbiterSound 3.5 and Universal Mmu 2.0 http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

OrbiterSound as you might imagine brings the simulation to life with sound. It's pretty easy to install. Just click the exe and point it to your Orbiter directory. Universial Mmu enhances Orbiter with the ability to add Astronauts and do spacewalks with them. Very neat addon to have.

I always recommend TransX as well, as it's the most powerful tool to get around in the Solarsystem. It is a bit hard to understand at first, but there are some great video tutorials on youtube. You might skip it though if you just want to focus on Apollo first. There are a lot of TransX version out there. Orbiter even has a default version. Most people recommend using the 3.13 version which you can find here: http://orbiter.quorg.org/releases/ I guess you have to check which version gives you the least problems for your tasks.

You might also try the DirectX 9 client as it enhances the graphics and in some cases even improves the framerate a lot. It does crash with some Addons, which is the reason i have never used it, but if you feel a bit experimental you can give it a try. Here is the link: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/D3D9Client/ I strongly suggest that you read up on the possible problems with the client first before installing.

Now to the Apollo stuff. I have never installed them, so i have no insight into which is best. In regards to installing Addons it is usually just unpacking the zip or rar file into the orbiter directory. If it has an installer it probably will do all the work for you anyway. Could you link the two addons?

If you have any additional questions just go ahead an ask. Welcome to the Orbiter world!

#3635953 - 08/31/12 09:35 PM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
startrekmike Offline
startrekmike  Offline

Providence, RI
Okay, got the links for ya!

AMSO

and

Project Apollo

Since I have never even tried this sim out, I don't really have the practical experience to know what one would provide me with the best experience, I hope the links work (am and terrible at dealing with link tools on forums).

Also, thanks so much for the great response, it is exactly what I need to know in terms of dealing with Orbiter, looks like I have some more downloading to do smile

Thanks so much!

#3635972 - 08/31/12 10:21 PM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
Rask Offline
Rask  Offline

Thanks a lot, links worked fine.

Well from the first look of it you can't really fo wrong with both of them. Project Apollo seems to be like the more technical one. Well since both are free why not install them both, take them for a spin and see which you like more.

Originally Posted By: "startrekmike"
Since I have never even tried this sim out, I don't really have the practical experience to know what one would provide me with the best experience

Don't worry. Orbiter can be a bit intimidating at first. I suggest you have a little bit fun with the sim and build your knowledge up bit by bit. It won't take that long and you will be flying all around the Solarsystem.

The funny thing is once you get familiar with all the physics behind orbits and slowly become a veteran in Orbiter, you should watch a rocket launch on Nasa TV. You will stop looking at the launches like most people and admire the pretty flames and be more like "Ahh the rocket is now moving into prograde position to do a burn in the apogee so that they can circlise the orbit!"

But the most important thing is: Always have fun!

#3635990 - 08/31/12 10:59 PM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
ASMO is the much more user-friendly of the 2 mods in terms of just firing it up and running it. Project Apollo is much more complicated, having to follow a realistic checklist to activate basic systems, etc.

#3638616 - 09/05/12 03:23 AM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
MetalMania Offline
MetalMania  Offline

Rhode Island, USA
I've never used Project Apollo but I've done all of the AMSO flights up through Apollo 15, definitely recommended. Get IMFD also, it makes the flights much easier once you get the hang of IMFD (that in itself is no small task either). AMSO includes some decent (as far as Orbiter goes) sceneries of each Apollo landing site too. AMSO has several autopilot programs that correspond to the real Apollo flights, but don't require much from you other than pressing the K key and scrolling through which one you want to run. I think the Project Apollo addon requires you to actually enter the program codes and things like the crews had to do. More realistic I suppose but I don't mind how AMSO does it. It's still space flight and it's still got plenty for you to do wrong if you're not careful! I don't know how Project Apollo is but also the spacecraft modeling in AMSO is arguably the best available in Orbiter.

Most addons, at least the ones I've used, are packaged to just unzip into your main Orbiter directory and will put their files into the correct folders automatically.

One other thing by the way, Orbiter doesn't write anything to the registry - it's entirely contained in the directory folder. So, you can easily back it up by just saving a copy of the whole Orbiter folder if you're experimenting with addons.

You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life. - Admiral Benson, Hot Shots
#3638668 - 09/05/12 05:52 AM Re: Setting up Orbiter and Apollo help [Re: startrekmike]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I spent some time with Project Apollo years ago and it is seriously hard core. However, the sense of accomplishment from successfully flying a mission in it is huge.

Unfortunately I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now, so I can't help you with the installation. In fact, maybe I need to revisit Orbiter and Project Apollo again.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.