Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#3638115 - 09/04/12 03:21 PM Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document *****  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document Part 1

Summary: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 is to be a fan-developed retro-style faithful remake of Microprose's venerable flight simulator F-19 Stealth Fighter. Released November of 1988, F-19 was preceded by Project Stealth Fighter (1987) and followed by Nighthawk F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0 (1991). F-117A is generally considered to be a graphics upgrade of F-19 while replacing the F-19 aircraft model with the F-117 and adding additional theaters and options.

Online References:

F-19 on Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-19_Stealth_Fighter

The Official F-19 Stealth Fighter Handbook (with author's permission)...
http://www.flightsimbooks.com/f19stealthfighter/

Developer's Intent: It is my intent to develop a freeware retro-style flight sim closely resembling F-19 Stealth Fighter. While no file-based content will be used from the original game, RFS: F-19 is intended to closely resemble the original game-play for nostalgic purposes and to pay homage to one of the most successful combat flight sims of all time.

Developer's Back-story: Never considering myself a gamer it was almost by chance that in 1993, while walking past a game aisle at a CompUSA in Atlanta, I stumbled upon a discounted boxed version of F-117A. With CNN coverage of the '91 Gulf War still fresh in my mind, including FLIR footage of smart bombs being dropped from the night sky by this strange looking aircraft, I couldn't resist not taking home that big beautiful heavy blue box.

I was overwhelmed just by the manual! And the game itself was also phenomenal, sneaking around the night like a sly solitary fox hunting its prey, and then suddenly becoming the hunted! The typical combat flight sim has you and at least one assisting wing-man seeking out and engaging groups of other aircraft, usually in a full-blown war. In F-117A you were eerily alone, trying to remain undetected deep behind enemy lines with no offensive capability to defend yourself against aerial predators, and usually following a strict rules of engagement. A very unique combat flight sim experience and one that has not been repeated since.

Design Considerations: What I would like to do is to explain my design decisions as they relate to the original game. Many of my ideas for improvement are substantial as one would expect when remaking a game that's almost a quarter of a century old. But I'm also trying to stay true to the original design as much as possible. Any design decisions (especially early ones) are subject to change, while this document reflects how I wish to proceed initially...

Development Workstation:
- Windows 2000 / Laptop: Windows XP
- Blitz3D (BlitzBasic w/Direct3D 7)
- Visual Studio 6 (VB and C++) w/DirectX 7 SDK
- DeleD, Wings3D, Milkshake or Blender (not decided)
- Photoshop 5 LE
- Tomahawk Physics Engine
- AutoCAD LT 2002

Projected Hardware Requirements: Pretty much anything running Windows 98SE to Windows 8 64-bit, possibly even Windows 95B.

Graphics: 1024x600 WSVGA screen resolution (wide-screen aspect of 800x600 SVGA). Low screen resolution is one of many reasons I'm calling my game “retro” and “low-res”. I'm not attempting to make a modern looking remake, just to vastly update the original 320x200 graphics.

128x128 textures. I feel this is an acceptable size for WSVGA and bumping up to 256x256 can increase total game size substantially, something I'd rather keep to a minimum.

256 distinct colors per frame. I won't be using pallets (8-bit color is not supported) but I do want to keep everything graphics-related as simple and as manageable as possible.

Low polygon models and meshes. I've set no limits yet.

Now before I continue I want to point out that my game will not model any daylight hours in the 3D world, at most you'll see a late sunset and early sunrise, just like real-life F-117 pilots. And the F-117 is what I'm using for reference, both in real-life and with the F-117A game, even if my flyable is the fictional F-19.

My game-play will be similar to F-117A with the more realistic “Lockheed” option, so no air-to-air capability (with one exception, more on this later) and you fly only at night. These limited options are compromises not just to make development easier but to make it actually doable.

Also note that real-life F-117 pilots seldom concern themselves with what they see outside of their severely restrictive canopy. Except when taking off, landing and air refueling it's heads down in the cockpit, just as I played F-117A and how I plan to play my new game. Hi-res graphics would be an unnecessary burden, taking time that could be spent on the rest of the game.

I'll use EF2000 as an example of a good looking game with low-res graphics (640x400, 8-bit color, 128x128 textures). I believe they pulled this off with really good contrast, like using dark hues of greens and grays for terrain and sky, then contrasting them with a few bright colors in cockpit displays and explosions. And using bright whites in icebergs that really pop out against the dark blue sea.

Using low-res graphics (i.e. resolution, textures, colors, models) will make development time far shorter, not just with creating the graphics but with compile and load times, while player mission load-times should be instantaneous. If it helps, think of my game as one of those online Flash games you might have in your Favorites. You don't take it seriously but you pull it up when you just want to something quick and easy to play (and some of these games are addictive).

I'll end this post here, next I'll be covering cockpit and key-ins, and a whole lot more after that.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3638320 - 09/04/12 07:31 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Cockpit Views: Like with the original game the cockpit will be 2D views only, no smooth-panning 3D virtual pit. It would make no sense to me to model a virtual pit for an aircraft with restrictive outside visibility and one that flies only at night. Now if I were modeling a day-time bubble-canopy fighter then absolutely I would give it a 3D pit! But in this case it would just add unnecessary complexity in both development and playing.

The advantage of a 2D-only pit is that you don't need separate full-screen MFDs which can become cumbersome, and I want my game to be easy to play. I realize that current hi-res sims have sophisticated 3D-only pits, allowing you to zoom in and out and even flip switches. This won't be one of those sims.

But I am making improvements to the original cockpit. Firstly, with a much higher resolution and with a wide-screen aspect, I'll be able to give the standard front view more of a wide-angle look (similar to F4:AF's 2D wide-angle view). But more importantly, unlike the original game I'll be using a 45 degree snap view system, again similar to F4 but only on a single horizontal plane, no up and down scrolling on the sides. And I'll even be able to use the original key-ins:

F-19
===
F1: Cockpit (front view)
Shift M: View Left
Shift <: View Right
Shift >: View Rear
Shift ?: View Ahead (helmet view, no pit)

Note the blind spots at 45 degree angles.

RFS: F-19
========
F1: Cockpit (front view)
Shift M: Scroll View Left (45d left front / left side / 45d left rear)
Shift <: Scroll View Right (45d right front / right side / 45d right rear)
Shift >: View Front Up
Shift ?: View Ahead (helmet view, no pit)

Of course key-ins will be player configurable (I hate it when they're not), I'm just using the original key-ins as a guide in development.

Cockpit Canopy Frame: Most models and artist conceptions show the F-19 with either an SR-71 looking canopy (see also the F-106 Delta Dart) or with a full bubble canopy. I choose neither, I'll be using a canopy frame similar to the MiG-31 Firefox. I just think it looks cool, especially from the inside of the pit, and is similar looking to other '80s speculations as to what the stealth fighter might look like (also see MiG-37 Ferret, important because this could become my next flyable).

Note that Have Blue had the obstructive center metal bracing which was redesigned for the F-117's HUD view but at a slight cost in stealth.

Cockpit MFDs: The only change I plan to make on the left MFD is that I'm going to combine the tactical and moving maps into a single map view. The F3 key will simply toggle the moving map overlay onto the tactical map vs. switching maps. I believe the maps were separate to avoid information overcrowding with such a low screen resolution.

The right MFD and HUD will be getting some additional touches...

F-19
===
M: Cam Left
<: Cam Right
>: Cam Rear
?: Cam Ahead

Cam = Targeting Camera, selects targets by HUD mode type (Nav/Air/Grd), otherwise is turned off.

Add to this...

========
Alt M: Static Cam Left
Alt <: Static Cam Right
Alt >: Static Cam Rear
Alt ?: Static Cam Ahead

Static Cam = Static Camera (i.e. flying NOE or checking your six), always on.

F-19
===
F4: Day/Night HUD (white or green)
F6: FLIR On/Off (F-117A only)

========
F4: HUD Dimmer (3-way cycle of three shades of green)
Alt F4: HUD Image (low-light forward image projected onto HUD [ala Jane's F-15])

F6: FLIR (3-way cycle TV/FLIR white hot/FLIR black hot)

Alt Z: Cam Zoom In (2X/4X/8X)
Alt X: Cam Zoom Out

To summarize HUD/MFD improvements: Combining map views, adding static camera views, brightness control and night vision in HUD, FLIR white/black hot option, and zoomable targeting camera.

Other cockpit features I plan to include is the moving throttle in F-19 (although with gloved hand and more correctly located).

Next I'll discuss game-play and back-story.

#3638361 - 09/04/12 08:10 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
popcorn
Nice systematic approach. thumbsup

#3638437 - 09/04/12 10:00 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My carpal tunnel is telling me to go do something else so I'll continue transcribing my notes later.

The making of F-19 is an interesting read, those guys were amazing building their 3D engine from scratch while constantly hitting hardware limitations and having to squeeze every bit of performance they could out of their code! I know I'm no Sid Meier or Andy Hollis but the fact that I don't have to deal with any of that gives me hope. smile

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I noticed a lot of the same names in F-19/F-117A are in Jane's F-15.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/04/12 10:05 PM.
#3638459 - 09/04/12 10:38 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

biggrin Now you got my attention! Loved F19!

I'll be reading this...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3638542 - 09/05/12 01:06 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Awesome, F19 Stealth Fighter is one of my favorite sims ever, defintely interested to follow your development.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3638601 - 09/05/12 02:55 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Mark! Has been great seeing you post again. Very glad you are well and working on this most promising project. Will stay tuned.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3638628 - 09/05/12 03:44 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, guys. Except of course at the moment I'm just (pardon the pun) talking a big game. smile

I was going to wait until I had something tangible but it so happened mikew asked about me as I was checking these boards to see if I was still registered (I believe Third Wire finally expired me).

The past ~5 years have been most difficult with taking care of my mother-in-law and this explains a lot of my absences. I'm forever indebted to my wife for what she's done for me, but I believe she's feeling the same by being incredibly supportive and giving me space to work on my studies and my project.

I think what I'm enjoying most about this project is returning to the Cold War '80s. Like every kid born in the '60s I loved the cold war jets like the F-14 and the F-15. In fact, I had two Eagle models on my bedroom dresser (oh wait, one of them was from Space 1999...lol). But I find myself becoming more fascinated by this time period (that I apparently paid little attention to as I was exiting puberty), and not just the real technologies but all the speculation of what might be and what was on the immediate horizon (i.e. SDI [Star Wars]). And I continue fueling this interest by finding '80s/Cold War books at Goodwills and thrift stores.

I really believe this project is my calling, if I can pull it off. smile

I do have a beef with the original game, 1985 North Cape and no SAAB Viggen nor SR-71? This is unacceptable.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3638655 - 09/05/12 04:57 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I was measuring the Kola Peninsula when I came upon these puppies...

So I took a picture...

Those subs boomers still give me the creeps.

<I'm going to turn these pics into links in a couple of days so as not to clutter up the thread>

Last edited by MarkG; 09/05/12 05:41 AM. Reason: Added Red October lingo

The sun is in the east
#3638716 - 09/05/12 09:00 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
postman Offline
postman  Offline

Cape Town
Fantastic Mark, Will certainly be keeping an eye on this project

At Fiddlers Green, where seamen true, when here they've done their duty, The bowl of grog shall still renew and pledge to love and beauty.
#3638771 - 09/05/12 11:51 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Oh, I loved that sim, and would be glad to play with a refreshed version!
I am also willing to help you out. I can create sound effects / music and also capable of doing 2D graph (but graphics is something I think you wanna do on your own, to keep a common concept and look).
Let me know if you consider to accept my help.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3638818 - 09/05/12 01:02 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Bandit4 Offline
Bandit4  Offline

Wow!
That would be nice!

Project Stealth Fighter was the first sim I bought when I got my C128 back in 1987. Played it and played it. Along w Up Periscope! and Gunship!

Those were the days ( late 80's, early to mid 90's ) of great packages. Boxes, BIG manuals, maps, keyboard overlays. I loved reading the step by step tutorials in the manual. Microprose was it!!

Todays sims are great too. DCS has great products with .pdf manuals and tutorials and a well put together product. I buy them, but something about the old Microprose sims just had a different feeling. Maybe it was the medals or the post and pre briefings or ....

Sometimes I wish we can get another cold war started so we can get a lot of great sims made or maybe we need Top Gun and Iron Eagle to be re released and put in the theaters (lol) to get people mor into sims and get more made. When I go into Best Buy, I take whatever sims ( NOT The Sims ) they have left for sale and put them eye level with the box facing out so people can maybe pick one up and we produce another simulation fan.

#3638884 - 09/05/12 02:36 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Great news Mark! I'm going to monitor your progress. Few questions though:
• Which theatres are you going to include in your sim? All from F-19 (Libya, Persian Gulf, North Cape, Central Euope) all from F-117 (same as F-19 + few more) or maybe only one/two of them?
• Will the flight model be simplified, semi-realistic, realistic?
• What's the ETA (roughly)?

Best of luck with your project!

#3638900 - 09/05/12 02:54 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oh yeah, you certainly got the whole package back in the day...
F-19 Packaging

Believe it or not I've recruited my 72 year-old mother for this project. She's an amateur pianist (played church piano many many years ago) and about 5 years ago she replaced her worn out wooden piano with a full-size multi-function Yamaha keyboard she bought from a local musician. She reads sheet music so if I need something like the Soviet National Anthem or The Hunt for Red October we've got it covered. We looked it over and I think I'll need to buy a MIDI cable to connect it to a PC.

I'm also going to recruit my wife's cousin for advice who is big into Cold War tech (mainly earlier stuff, IIRC) and who is moving home from NAS Lemoore. I think he wanted to be an aviator but I guess it didn't work out, he ended up being a Super Hornet avionics technician.

But thanks, if I do need any help this is where I'll ask.

I'm typing the game-play stuff but I may break it into multiple posts.

#3638932 - 09/05/12 03:54 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: damson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: damson
Great news Mark! I'm going to monitor your progress. Few questions though:
• Which theatres are you going to include in your sim? All from F-19 (Libya, Persian Gulf, North Cape, Central Euope) all from F-117 (same as F-19 + few more) or maybe only one/two of them?
• Will the flight model be simplified, semi-realistic, realistic?
• What's the ETA (roughly)?

Best of luck with your project!

damson, my next post is going to cover some of this in detail, but the short answers are:

1. I'd really like to do all four theaters from F-19 (well 3 + 1, you'll understand later) in the first finished game but right now I'm standing at the bottom of Mt Everest looking up into the fog. smile. My first priority by far is the North Cape. I've lived in the US deep South all my life (Louisiana, Georgia, Florida) where it's usually hot and always flat (except maybe N Georgia). EF2000 was an exotic experience for me, it influenced me so much that we're thinking of taking our first really big vacation to Alesund, Norway.

But what would an F-19 remake be without the windmills of Central Europe (wouldn't these be in Holland?) and the oil platforms of the Persian Gulf? Central Europe kinda scares me to model such a populated area, even retro-style, but it has to be done.

Right I'm just now figuring out why terrains are always perfectly square and a power of 2, that the bigger the map the lower the resolution (i.e. 1024 vs. 2048) and that you cheat by measuring in NM and then converting to KM to size your map smaller than real-life for less travel time (or is that the other way around?).

So I really don't know yet. smile

2. Yes, yes, no. I have samples of simplified FMs but I don't know what to do with them just yet. I can tell you this, I'm not going back to JetFighter IV. I want a FM that at least feels believable and covers the basics (weight, altitude, cornering, stall, damage), etc.

But really, could this thing actually fly? smile

3. I'm probably dreaming but I'd love to celebrate F-19's 25th birthday next November with a finished remake. By then I should be attending LSU (next fall) but I'll just have to balance, I'm going to school for the game(s).

But, I'm seeing others using Blitz3D and they're knocking their sims out pretty fast. One guy is working on a Fighters Anthology-like sim (I think) and already has air-to-air, air-to-ground, wing-men, air-refueling, Carrier ops...

Blitz3D F-22

Not exactly what I'm trying to do but his progress seems pretty quick for being just a hobby (I think I read this in a translation). That's what makes these all-encompassing 3D game engines so compelling to me, we're getting back to the office bedroom developer.

And those were the short answers. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 09/05/12 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed link
#3639039 - 09/05/12 06:22 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The game-play/campaign post(s) is going to take little a while. In the meantime, I want to clarify something...

I've posted samples of Blitz3D flight sims on this and the other thread and of course they're in various degrees of completion and graphics quality. Graphics are subjective of course, and keep in mind that every one of those sims is an individual's spare-time hobby as far as I know.

But I'll tell you exactly what I'm looking for in graphics. From my 2D GUI to my 3D world, I want you to swear to yourself my game has to be a higher resolution 3D-accelerated version of EF2000. I may make a few changes like using the colors of dusk in Jane's F-18 and of course I'll have stars, even the northern lights if I can pull them off (watched them in Fairbanks, breath-taking).

I know these videos are so worn but just try to imagine them at higher resolution and in D3D...

http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/Test_EF2K.wmv
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/EF2K_RFM.wmv
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/EF2K_SEAM.wmv
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/EF2K_TIALDWN.wmv

...and that's the look I'm going for!

And you might be thinking I'm just talking about Eurofighter Typhoon which was also DX7. No, not really. ET looks nice to me for the most part but has it's own thing going, IMO it's a lot newer but lacks the "crispness" of EF2000.

SimHQ poster Red Ocktober (the guy doing the submarine sub in the Screenshots forum) started in Blitz3D but then ported to 3D RAD, I believe because he wanted better water shaders than DX7. If I can't get what I want from Blitz3D graphics I'll move on too, whatever it takes to get the look I want. I just need to program heavy with Types in BlitzBasic (Structs in C++) anticipating a future port to OOP (i.e. Types have inheritance). A smart move would also be to write any major functions in C++ DLLs but I don't wanna unless I have to, I'm really not that good yet.

Enough about that, details of code and modeling is for GDD Part 2.

EDIT: I'm going to replace those videos one day with my own.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/05/12 06:25 PM.

The sun is in the east
#3639071 - 09/05/12 06:59 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
clarasdk Offline
clarasdk  Offline

Denmark
I played that sim so many hours that it was crazy. Those where the times and the plane was so beautiful. I really hope you succeed with the project smile

Noob in current sims, but played tons of combat sims back in the 80's and 90's

Flying:
DCS World 2 Beta
Prepar3d primarily GA planes
Elite Dangerous

And I love games like XCOM, Fallout etc

System:
I7-2600k, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 gigs, 16 gigs memory,Thrustmaster Warthog, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek pro flight pedals and TrackIR 5
Saitek yoke, multipanel, radiopanel and switch panel
3* Dell U2414H

#3639281 - 09/05/12 11:58 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Too much to hope for!!!
Mark, I still have F-19 and the remake, F-117, manuals and all. Great classic stuff.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3639441 - 09/06/12 10:30 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Good luck I will follow the development!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3639605 - 09/06/12 04:15 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Backstory: "Stars Wars System Wrecks Iceland Summit"

Reykjavik, Iceland, Oct. 13, 1986

The once-promising arms meeting between President Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev broke up late yesterday. According to administration spokesmen, the talks ended because of the continuing U.S.-U.S.S.R. impasse over Reagan's refusal to drop the “Star Wars” space defense program. The Russians offered to make major cuts in their medium and long-range nuclear weapons system, but only if the Americans would agree to stop both the testing and deployment of space-based weapons envisioned in the President's so-called “Strategic Defense Initiative”. Reagan apparently said he would not do so, and the talks came to an abrupt and confused end.

The Russian Politburo, feeling the Americans are violating the 1972 ABM (Anti-Ballistic Missile) treaty while conducting training exercises with NATO forces conducive with a first nuclear strike, agree they must take decisive action immediately. They must make the imperialist aggressors think twice about carrying out their first strike plans. But first it was time to blind prying eyes...

==========

You are an F-117 pilot with the 4453rd Test and Evaluation Squadron, selected and reassigned to fly covert missions over Russia and Russian held territory in another black project aircraft, the F-19 Ghostrider. The F-19 was developed alongside the F-117 as a reconnaissance and precision bomber, to be used as a testbed for new technologies being developed for future aircraft (ATF). While the F-117 was developed using parts from existing aircraft for reduced costs and reliability, the F-19 uses almost all prototype state-of-the-art systems, making regular production cost prohibited. Like the F-117, five prototypes were built and three can be made combat ready if absolutely necessary.

It just became necessary...

Optical and infra-red sensored satellites in low-altitude sun-synchronous orbits have discontinued transmitting images as they pass over sensitive areas of the Soviet Union. Photographic images taken by SR-71s over the Barents and Baltic Seas have been undecipherable while their sensors have been damaged or destroyed.

ELINT satellites indicate a serious strengthening of radar coverage along most of the Russian border and Eastern Bloc, while other intelligence indicates unusually heavy activity on and around the Kola Peninsula, as well as apparent military buildups along the Eastern German and Iranian borders. We must determine the Russians intentions and if possible, find the source of their ASAT (anti-satellite) capability and destroy it.

So what are the Russian's intentions?

You won't know because it'll be randomly selected when you start a campaign:

Aggressive
Defensive

This will determine the initial values (0-100) of the following settings when starting a campaign:

USSR
=====
Provocation: 37%
Resources: 85%
Morale: 62%

(the above is how they might look during a campaign)

There will also be...

US
==
Intelligence: 22%

These values will be recalculated after each mission, and will determine when (or if) the war goes from Cold to Limited, and when (or if) the war goes from Limited to Conventional. Conventional War will almost always result in nuclear war.

Settings will work on a 100 point system.

Provocation points are added on detection with more points being added when shot down over enemy territory. To a lesser degree Provocation will be increased just by destroying a target, although not necessarily being detected. For example, destroying a bridge or tank farm might add a point or two, but destroying a surfaced Typhoon-class submarine or Mainstay AWACS is going to be more points.

Resource points are subtracted by destroying targets (partially or fully), although some targets will have a repair timer set so you may have to destroy the target more than once in a long campaign. Or you may have to photograph an assessment of damage to determine % of destruction. All target destruction in % will be recorded to keep a persistent world between missions. Repaired targets will be added back to Resources.

Morale points (morale of government, not troops) are added when detected and when mission in unsuccessful, while points are subtracted with destruction of targets, especially when undetected.

For the Russians to elevate the war condition to Limited or Conventional, they must be provoked, have adequate resources and have high morale, or else they may sue for peace while agreeing to terms determined by their current point system. Or they may push the button.

Intelligence has to be figured into the equation on the US side, as a reward for successful reconnaissance missions. Poor intelligence (possibly leading to wrong conclusions) might have the US pushing the button.

So you'll win a campaign by signing a favorable agreement of peace with the Russians. But if you lose, at best you sign an unfavorable agreement (advantageous to the Russians) or at worse...

I want to model the scariest looking (and sounding) city-busting nukes ever put into a flight sim (better than Graphsim and Novalogic's bubble looking tactical nukes.) I even want it to sound scary. I want it to be so creepy that you actually care that you win the campaign.

Well, this is the best I could reasonably come up with while keeping the original game-play in tact. Like the original game, if you don't like a mission you can let the mission generator randomly select another set of targets (primary and secondary), based on condition of war. I'll just be adding a persistent world and war conditions (or peace) which change on the player's success.

To be continued in next post...

Last edited by MarkG; 09/06/12 04:45 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.