Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3633357 - 08/27/12 10:02 AM Parts detaching themselves from craft...  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Hi

I'm having a little problem with parts detaching themselves from my craft for no particular reason. Here's an example :

Exhibit one : I have nose cones and RCS fuel tanks attached on top of a fuel tank/engine assembly, itself being attached to radial decouplers and fastened with structural struts. The RCS tanks are not free floating, i.e they are attached to either the fuel tanks orthe decouplers :

I'm on a transfer orbit to the Mun, far away from any atmosphere or space junk I might collide with. There are no RCS boosters that could blow them away as I manoever. The Kerbal seen EVAing is not to blame either, as he never touched the parts in question and was in the process of being evacuated to free up space in the module for a rescue mission.

A couple of quick burns and orbit adjustments later :

RCS tanks and nose cones have detached themselves. On earlier tries, two engines also separated, forcing me to abort mission.

I thought maybe centrifugal force building up as did fast rolls to stabilise would be to blame, creating shearing forces the parts are not designed to withstand, but I wasn't able to reproduce the effect on purpose (barrel rolling to the point of redecorating the inside of the module with Kerbal guts).

Has anyone had a similar problem ? Is this a well known adverse effect of space manoeuvering I should be aware of, or simply a bug ?

I'm having alot of fun with KSP, but this little issue is currently preventing me from rescuing two Kerbonauts from previous missions currently trapped on the Mun.

Cheers

Nico

Last edited by VonBarb.; 08/27/12 10:03 AM.

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3633410 - 08/27/12 01:27 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I have never seen that problem. If it was just the nose cones I would say dont use them (they are broken and only add weight and looks anyways since there is no aerodynamic model in the game yet.)

If it is other things also then maybe try to better support them? From the second picture they dont look to be centered on the decoupler (could just be an illusion though.) If they do pop off do they come off with or without the decoupler?

You can run extra bracing from the main body to the decoupler where it attaches to the 4 external tanks to give more support if need be.

#3633469 - 08/27/12 03:03 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
They are aligned, they're just slightly smaller than the fuel tanks. No aerodynamics yet you say ? I thought they were only missing the re-entry friction mechanisms... That would explain my inability to make anything other than rockets "fly" for more than ten seconds biggrin

Anyway, I'll be removing the nose cones from my designs, and looking forward to the implementation of aerodynamics...

Cheers

Nico

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#3633512 - 08/27/12 04:17 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

There are some aerodynamics, you can build and fly planes around with lift and such.

I think whatever drag modeling there is, it's really simple. If there wasn't any drag at all and I turned off my engines in level flight in atmosphere, I shouldn't be seeing a rapid loss of speed. Aircraft in atmosphere would coast at speed like they were in space then (which they don't in my experince).

You can break things by subjecting the mto enough force, usually under acceleration. But if you can't reprodue it, it might be some buggy part behavior.

I've seen odd things happen with parts before. The other thing is that only the initial thing you attached to the decoupler is attached. Anything you the attach to that object, will not be attached to the to decoupler. If that makes sense.

Basically it might be possible for the RCS and nose cone to smack into the decoupler. If you somehow created the force to do so.

Last edited by Ryujin; 08/27/12 04:29 PM.
#3633519 - 08/27/12 04:26 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The fins and wings generate lift. You can actually make a engineless device that is just wings in a radial pattern and it will take off and fly up into space. There is some form of drag but it is calculated very basically.

#3633758 - 08/27/12 11:14 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I am not sure, as I am viewing on my phone. There appears tobe a gap between the rcs tanks and the fuel tanks. What is there.

Also is this rocket from an earler build and you copied the rocket config into this latest version?

Also are you using any mods?

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3633773 - 08/28/12 12:15 AM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Hm... No mods, at least not on this particular module, no config edit, just plain default manual stuff. The damage was sustained while in "map" view as I accelerated to raise my periapsis and establish orbit, so I did not actually witness the damage occur.

I've noticed that sometimes boosters or engines attached in a radial pattern around a central body will point slightly inwards when applying high thrust if not fastened properly. If Ryujin is right about parts not being attached to the decoupler itself but to the part attached to the decoupler, that effect would have caused the RCS tanks (attached to the fuel tanks) to push against the decouplers, creating lateral shearing force that would cause them to break away. At least that's the best explanation I can find.

The earlier case of engines detaching could have been caused by collision with the free-floating RCS tanks as the vessel was rolling...

Cheers

Nico

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

#3633891 - 08/28/12 08:10 AM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

What I was meaning was,did you build your rocket from scratch in version .16 or did you build it in a previous version and import it to this latest version.

I only ask as with .16, rockets built in previos versions need to be rebuilt in current version.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3634168 - 08/28/12 07:00 PM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: Ryujin]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Ryujin
There are some aerodynamics, you can build and fly planes around with lift and such.

I think whatever drag modeling there is, it's really simple. If there wasn't any drag at all and I turned off my engines in level flight in atmosphere, I shouldn't be seeing a rapid loss of speed. Aircraft in atmosphere would coast at speed like they were in space then (which they don't in my experince).

You can break things by subjecting the mto enough force, usually under acceleration. But if you can't reprodue it, it might be some buggy part behavior.

I've seen odd things happen with parts before. The other thing is that only the initial thing you attached to the decoupler is attached. Anything you the attach to that object, will not be attached to the to decoupler. If that makes sense.

Basically it might be possible for the RCS and nose cone to smack into the decoupler. If you somehow created the force to do so.

In addition, many parts do list a drag component with their stats. I think drag is simply calculated as these stat's added together for all parts on a ship. That means, for example, that a fuel tank will have x drag regardless of whether or not a more aerodynamic nose cone is attached on top of it. I've built modded ships with solar panels sticking out like giant sails, and they've had zero impact on launch speed.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3635570 - 08/31/12 05:12 AM Re: Parts detaching themselves from craft... [Re: VonBarb.]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

The "space kraken" perhaps? I have heard of such things before, it would seem that is the cause. It tends to happen at high speeds due to issues with position tracking apparently.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.