Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3631453 - 08/23/12 03:40 PM 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3631524 - 08/23/12 05:39 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Puny humans and their excuses.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3631533 - 08/23/12 05:53 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Of course, pretty much all SF that spends any time in space offer explanations for these things. Naturally using the tech we have now none of this is possible. It's all predicated on the idea that there will be breakthroughs that will allow us to circumvent these limitations, not just ignore them as the article seems to say.

I'll give the gravity one, ships badly damaged or out of power shouldn't have any, but it's too expensive to show on almost anything other than a decent-budgeted SF film because it just slows production down to have people floating.

Apollo 13 did it the best between wire rigging, putting people on moving teeter-totters, and filming some things on the Vomit Comet to have actual weightless shots. However, that is out of the question for TV. Even making ships with centrifuges ala 2001 is out of the question because filming is harder and how are you going to do that for season after season?

IIRC Defying Gravity they used the velcro slippers idea and then had people's hair short and tied back with no objects left floating around, so they SAID there was no gravity even when there was.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3631543 - 08/23/12 06:03 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
To me most of those have been production compromises known for years. Especially to sci-fi geeks, since they're into all that anyway.

B5 was probably the TV show that tried the hardest to follow the physics, but it's just not easy or cheap enough to do it in every scene and episode.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3631545 - 08/23/12 06:06 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
B5 addressed it some. Earth ships and the station all had to rotate. When rotation stopped, gravity was lost. Other races had tech we didn't, that's about all that was said about that. Enterprise mentioned something about a gravity generator (whatever they called it) and mentioned a sweet spot where gravity was inverted.
Always liked how B5 space battles tried to be "realistic" with movement too. They made it an advantage, not something to overcome.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3631549 - 08/23/12 06:11 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Star Trek had their inertial dampeners and stuff, so most shows try to address it a little, but without the actual technology, there's only so much they can say about it.

One thing that I never see addressed is that the artificial gravity generators or whatever are, well, generating gravity, so why isn't that pulling other celestial bodies out of place, etc., as they pass? I assume there's some sort of "anti-gravity" field blocking it from going outside the ships' hulls, but I don't recall ever seeing that discussed on any show.

Ken Cartwright

#3631556 - 08/23/12 06:17 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
To me most of those have been production compromises known for years. Especially to sci-fi geeks, since they're into all that anyway.

B5 was probably the TV show that tried the hardest to follow the physics, but it's just not easy or cheap enough to do it in every scene and episode.

Exactly right. It's also the reason why most sci-fi shows have oversimplified and generalized alien species such as having a single culture, single language, etc. It would simply be too time consuming to make an alien race that had the same kind of diversity that humanity has.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3631786 - 08/24/12 02:19 AM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
fritzthefox Offline
fritzthefox  Offline

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
The stuff that most bugged me about a lot of science fiction was not the sidelong winks at physical constraints, but the blatant disregard for logical consequences of whatever future tech they came up with. I don't care what sort of universe a writer builds, so long as it makes sense. If you are going to have Stormtroopers running around in spotless armor, great. But the armor better be able to deflect something. Anything. At least small rocks hurled by Ewoks. Seriously, wtf?

#3631824 - 08/24/12 04:15 AM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

The last fact sits a bit funny to me - the one about needing magical shields to survive the sun's radiation. How on earth did we send men to the moon in their flimsy space capsules in the 60's then? I don't think you'd need something like that article suggested.

#3631840 - 08/24/12 06:46 AM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Navigator Offline
Hotshot
Navigator  Offline
Hotshot

Mn U.S.A.
We are going to need something like shields in space. The longer you are out there the more danger you are in. The apollo astronauts were not on the moon that long. Just a few hours.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
#3632057 - 08/24/12 03:44 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Navigator]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Navigator
We are going to need something like shields in space. The longer you are out there the more danger you are in. The apollo astronauts were not on the moon that long. Just a few hours.

Water. If you are going on a long mission, you could create a double hull, in between which they could put the water that is needed for the journey and on the surface.

#3632077 - 08/24/12 04:11 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
notice there's no mention of stargate in there... lol..

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3632145 - 08/24/12 05:39 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's a serious concern for any manned trip to Mars. Radiation out there can be brutal, especially during solar maximums. Water is indeed the most likely solution. IIRC, the only time I saw it mentioned in a show was on Defying Gravity where they had to retreat to a certain "safe spot" in the ship where the water was stored when a CME happened, and stay there for several hours.
Also, the old miniseries "Space", which IIRC was based on a Michener novel? That started with WvB in WWII but by the end had an Apollo 18 where they went to the Moon when a CME or something happened and they all died from the radiation with 2 of them still on the surface.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3632148 - 08/24/12 05:44 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Arthonon]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Star Trek had their inertial dampeners and stuff, so most shows try to address it a little, but without the actual technology, there's only so much they can say about it.

One thing that I never see addressed is that the artificial gravity generators or whatever are, well, generating gravity, so why isn't that pulling other celestial bodies out of place, etc., as they pass? I assume there's some sort of "anti-gravity" field blocking it from going outside the ships' hulls, but I don't recall ever seeing that discussed on any show.

Uh, just how strong do you think their gravity generators would be? Gravity drops off as a function of distance VERY rapidly. Since it's also a function of mass, to move ANY "celestial body" requires a HUGE gravitational force. To do that, everyone on the ship would basically be squashed flat! I recall in some novel or other they mentioned that the plates in the floor created a very quickly deteriorating field, to the effect that a cup you dropped at the height of your knee fell much faster than one you dropped that you held over your head.

Of course, things like a gaping chasm or long elevator shaft in a spaceship SHOULD have no gravity at all, let alone have people plummeting to their deaths in a fist fight (always done purely for dramatic reasons).

The Jedi Master

#3632149 - 08/24/12 05:45 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
well:

2 and 3 can arguably be related. Whatever tech and create gravity, it can probably negate inertial effects too.

I think the best addressement I've seen of these issues is Mass Effect. ME canon notes that space battles usually happen across vast distance, often with fleets never making visual contact. They also explain artificial gravity as being a helpful side-effect of the Ezzo cores.

The ever-present massive energy reserves doesn't bother me either. Look how powerful batteries have become since their first conception.

The biggest peeve i have though is that every species in the universe evidently decided that English is to be their standard language. Star Wars nods to this, noting that english is actually galactic basic, but that the alphabet is not the roman one we use (it's actually backwords Hebrew, IIRC)

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3632208 - 08/24/12 07:54 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Thanks dude, I can never watch sci fi again!!!!!!

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3632210 - 08/24/12 07:55 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Puny humans and their excuses.

You know, you can find a Big Bang Theory clip on youtube for just about any geek reference ever.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3632211 - 08/24/12 07:55 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Jedi Master]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Uh, just how strong do you think their gravity generators would be? Gravity drops off as a function of distance VERY rapidly. Since it's also a function of mass, to move ANY "celestial body" requires a HUGE gravitational force. To do that, everyone on the ship would basically be squashed flat! I recall in some novel or other they mentioned that the plates in the floor created a very quickly deteriorating field, to the effect that a cup you dropped at the height of your knee fell much faster than one you dropped that you held over your head.

Of course, things like a gaping chasm or long elevator shaft in a spaceship SHOULD have no gravity at all, let alone have people plummeting to their deaths in a fist fight (always done purely for dramatic reasons).

The Jedi Master

Maybe I'm not factoring something in, but if people are walking around at 1G, wouldn't that be the same pull as the Earth? I guess it would depend on the "technology" creating the artificial gravity, but if the artificial gravity felt identical to being on Earth, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have the same overall pull as Earth's gravitational field.

I never heard the comment about the plates, but that doesn't seem like it would be very consistent with what's shown on those various shows, where the pull was different within a very short distance. It's all fictional, of course, so I guess it doesn't make much sense to over-analyze it.

Ken Cartwright

#3632227 - 08/24/12 08:35 PM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
The biggest peeve i have though is that every species in the universe evidently decided that English is to be their standard language.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/11/fireflys_15_best_uses_of_chinese_profanity.php biggrin

#3632342 - 08/25/12 01:44 AM Re: 10 common violations of space travel in film/tv shows [Re: Jedi Master]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

IIRC Defying Gravity they used the velcro slippers idea and then had people's hair short and tied back with no objects left floating around, so they SAID there was no gravity even when there was

Yea, really liked that show, and it's attention to making it really seem like a "real NASA" mission...really disapointed it got cancelled, and I know I'm not the only one!

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.