Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3562714 - 04/25/12 09:58 PM Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date.  
sh0v0r Offline
Lunar Flight Developer
sh0v0r  Offline
Lunar Flight Developer

Brisbane Australia
Hi guys,

I've recently released Steam sales information for Lunar Flight if you're keen to see how it is going.

You can read more about my thoughts and what it means for the game here: http://www.shovsoft.com/lunarflight/?p=260

Last edited by sh0v0r; 04/25/12 10:00 PM.
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3562723 - 04/25/12 10:10 PM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: sh0v0r]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Thanks for sharing that sh0v0r.

You didn't ask smile but here's my advice as a 'guy on the internet' i.e. worth what you paid for it..

- You need a demo, urgently.

- Steam Sales will be your mainstay - with some indies reporting about a 900% difference in volume at sales time. http://twotribes.com/message/rush-sales-statistics/

- Your price point in a sale at around $4 would, in my opinion, make you more money than any normal $20 price point.

- Ongoing adding of game content, even if not really significant, helps ongoing sales. It gives a good impression that things are rolling on and the title is still active.

- Presentation-wise the game is great, and the only thing I'd change would be probably the main title/logo - getting a one-off art contract for that would pay for itself.

I enjoy playing the game, and I hope it does well!

Edit: In my experience deals with Valve prohibit the sharing of sales numbers, but I guess you might have this waived? If not sure then changing it to a percentage might be legally safer. Just trying to help..

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 04/25/12 10:17 PM. Reason: Numbers
#3562739 - 04/25/12 10:44 PM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: FearlessFrog]  
sh0v0r Offline
Lunar Flight Developer
sh0v0r  Offline
Lunar Flight Developer

Brisbane Australia
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Thanks for sharing that sh0v0r.

You didn't ask smile but here's my advice as a 'guy on the internet' i.e. worth what you paid for it..

- You need a demo, urgently.

- Steam Sales will be your mainstay - with some indies reporting about a 900% difference in volume at sales time. http://twotribes.com/message/rush-sales-statistics/

- Your price point in a sale at around $4 would, in my opinion, make you more money than any normal $20 price point.

- Ongoing adding of game content, even if not really significant, helps ongoing sales. It gives a good impression that things are rolling on and the title is still active.

- Presentation-wise the game is great, and the only thing I'd change would be probably the main title/logo - getting a one-off art contract for that would pay for itself.

I enjoy playing the game, and I hope it does well!

Edit: In my experience deals with Valve prohibit the sharing of sales numbers, but I guess you might have this waived? If not sure then changing it to a percentage might be legally safer. Just trying to help..

All good points mate!

A demo is coming soon, and you're right sales periods are the lions share for indies.

Regarding the sales information, I checked the contract, it doesn't explicitly say its confidential, I get the impression its more that Valve promises to keep it confidential but rather than risk it I have removed dates and the sales total.

#3562936 - 04/26/12 11:00 AM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: sh0v0r]  
sh0v0r Offline
Lunar Flight Developer
sh0v0r  Offline
Lunar Flight Developer

Brisbane Australia
So I decided I'd make a new Logo... watcha think?

Last edited by sh0v0r; 04/27/12 11:55 PM.
#3563370 - 04/27/12 06:19 AM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: sh0v0r]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
I would try to get more colour into it. Use a moon image that
is in colour, even if you have to just tint it by hand to match
a photo if there are copyright issues. Same goes for the text -
see if you can't get the shading to go to a different hue as well
as the different brightness, maybe a bit bluer. Eye candy is
gold in advertising. Look at the rinkytink pc games from the
80s that looked like hell on screen, but sold because of fantastic
box art.

#3563714 - 04/28/12 12:00 AM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: PV1]  
sh0v0r Offline
Lunar Flight Developer
sh0v0r  Offline
Lunar Flight Developer

Brisbane Australia
Originally Posted By: PV1
I would try to get more colour into it. Use a moon image that
is in colour, even if you have to just tint it by hand to match
a photo if there are copyright issues. Same goes for the text -
see if you can't get the shading to go to a different hue as well
as the different brightness, maybe a bit bluer. Eye candy is
gold in advertising. Look at the rinkytink pc games from the
80s that looked like hell on screen, but sold because of fantastic
box art.

You know I wished I'd have read this before I changed everything, adding a little colour correction would have been nice, a bit of yellow in the glow.I've changed the image above now to show what it looks like ontop of the art used on steam so this helps somewhat.
It's too late now though as I have already had all the assets updated on Steam. They wouldn't like me to ask them to do it again.

#3563820 - 04/28/12 05:30 AM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: sh0v0r]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I like the one you have posted just above. I noticed it changed quite a bit the past day or so but the way it is now looks good.

#3631466 - 08/23/12 04:14 PM Re: Lunar Flight - Steam Sales Information to date. [Re: sh0v0r]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I know it's irritating to see the same user request the same feature twice on two different threads. That's why I would never do such a thing... normally. Go console! This is a perfect console game. It has sort of a party quality to it. You can drink a few beers and laugh at your friends as they fly into canyon walls in a blaze of physics. Plus, it is perfectly suited for an Xbox controller. Plus it would look absolutely stunning on a big screen. Plus my daughter and I could play it together. (PCs are an absolute drag for family play). Just sayin'.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.