Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3630678 - 08/21/12 11:43 PM Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins  
BlackEagle Offline
BlackEagle  Offline

USA
Hey folks got a quick question,

If I delete all stock Luftwaffe skins and replace them with 3rd party skins, will the sim pick those skins or will I get a CTD or 'Error' about the sim can't find certain file(s)?

Going for historical accuracy on all a/c skin's

Thanks
BE

P.S. this also includes the 'void' skin, I see no reason for it, unless the sim needs it.

Last edited by BlackEagle; 08/21/12 11:44 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3630784 - 08/22/12 03:51 AM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: BlackEagle]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
The stock skins are built into the SFS files. Deleting any skin file *.bmp from the folders will have no affect.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#3630813 - 08/22/12 06:33 AM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: BlackEagle]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
The 'void' skins were provided as a starting point for repainters.

The repaints in each aircraft type's folder really aren't the true default skins; the real default skins are locked away like Tolwyn said. The repaints you're able to access are usually either added for novelty use in the Quick Mission Builder or were included for a specific campaign or mission. If you delete skins that are intended for a specific mission, the sim simply uses the default versions that are hidden in the SFS files instead.

My advice is to leave the repaints in place unless file space is a major consideration. Add additional repaints to suit your tastes. You might also consider editting campaigns and missions to use the repaints you prefer.

Remove before flight
#3630834 - 08/22/12 09:21 AM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: Tolwyn]  
BlackEagle Offline
BlackEagle  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Tolwyn
The stock skins are built into the SFS files. Deleting any skin file *.bmp from the folders will have no affect.

Thank you for the input

#3630836 - 08/22/12 09:27 AM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: Skycat]  
BlackEagle Offline
BlackEagle  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Skycat
The 'void' skins were provided as a starting point for repainters.

The repaints in each aircraft type's folder really aren't the true default skins; the real default skins are locked away like Tolwyn said. The repaints you're able to access are usually either added for novelty use in the Quick Mission Builder or were included for a specific campaign or mission. If you delete skins that are intended for a specific mission, the sim simply uses the default versions that are hidden in the SFS files instead.

My advice is to leave the repaints in place unless file space is a major consideration. Add additional repaints to suit your tastes. You might also consider editting campaigns and missions to use the repaints you prefer.

Thanks Skycat for the info. Now, how do/would I go about editing the campaigns & missions to use the skins I want? Not a lot of expertise when it comes to editing files, have a habit of messing them up duh

#3630875 - 08/22/12 01:03 PM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: BlackEagle]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
For Dgen:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=265

For static campaigns created with the mission builder you would have to edit the individual mission files in \missions\campaigns\..

It's a Game. smile
#3631075 - 08/22/12 07:45 PM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: Boilerplate*]  
BlackEagle Offline
BlackEagle  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*
For Dgen:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=265

For static campaigns created with the mission builder you would have to edit the individual mission files in \missions\campaigns\..

Thanks Boilerplate*, it doesn't seem too difficult.
I take it Dgen stands for 'Dynamic Generator'?? just guessing.

#3631080 - 08/22/12 08:02 PM Re: Deleting stock Luftwaffe A/C Skins [Re: BlackEagle]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Yes. dgen.exe is the program that generates and runs the dynamic campaigns in this game. There are also static campaigns built with the full mission builder. (Basically a group of missions files that are scripted to run sequentially). You can tell the difference in the campaign options with the "*" next to their name - which is supposed to denote dynamic campaigns. Though as some have found, that isn't 100% always correct.

The results screens are different too. Dgen campaigns have a few more stats to display.

It's a Game. smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.