Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3623708 - 08/10/12 09:57 AM World War Two Online Now Free to Play *  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Rangers Lead the Way
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3625885 - 08/14/12 02:35 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Hairog Offline
Hairog  Offline

Wisconsin
Beat me to it... copter

Battleground Europe Free

Last edited by Hairog; 08/14/12 02:36 AM.

Alternative History Blog at www.wwiii1946.blogspot.com

Ebook here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
Paperback here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
#3627068 - 08/15/12 06:47 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I literally last played this 10 years ago. I'm frankly shocked it's still around when so many other bigger ones have failed, but I suppose that smaller size has kept it running.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3630485 - 08/21/12 06:38 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Wish someone would take this model and bring it into the 21st century.

Graphics need updating bad.

#3630789 - 08/22/12 04:11 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

I'm not sure if making this a sort of F2P title will help. I mean, the game has no unique features or graphics to match the other FPS titles on the market. Yeah, it's an open world FPS the like that has not yet been seen, except for Arma2. But that's not going to sale the game to the vets that have said it has grown long in the tooth and have all moved on to the forums over at Heroes and Generals. If they have moved on, I highly doubt newer blood is going to fill the void.

Last edited by FozzyBear; 08/22/12 04:13 AM.
#3630835 - 08/22/12 09:25 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Tried it out last night.

Uhm.
It's graphically challenged, and animations look pretty aged.
Sounds are barely on par and GUI is a tad cumbersome.

That's not to say that the game has to be discarded so easily...
The map's huge, the training is particularly well done and guide through the many details of this product quite smartly, if a bit obnoxiously.

A feature that hit me was the radios.
By pressing f1 to f6 you can choose who to talk to.

Yes, not innovative by any chance but still the Help channel provided me with a great deal of well mannered, very knowledgeable and surprisingly correct-english writers that went quite a good extra mile to help out this spaghetti-eater...

The free-to-play is not unlimited as other products, and quite limits you on the hardware available.

What HAS t be noted is the underlying stratus of stuff unseen by the player.

Specifically well studied infantry dynamics, deployable/movable spawn point (with coherency- in BF3 you just happen to appear on your leader...) and complex vehicle management!

That's bold by no mistake...
Gear changing, somewhat of a complex flight model but above everything a very detailed and purely player skilled based hit detection.

No % of "rifle skill" is involved in some special "critical strike"...
It's an uncomparable joy to hit the thin armor between the turret and hull of a tank with a AT gun from over a chilometer and a half!

And it's no insta-blow either, unless you it a truly sweet spot...
Shells burn and cook, so does fuel and spalling inside the tank from non-completely-piercing shots can kill the crew.

I'd propose to form a SimHQ committee and make a good team to try and kick some a$$es!
biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3630945 - 08/22/12 03:46 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: bonchie]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Originally Posted By: bonchie

Heroes and Generals

#3630972 - 08/22/12 04:41 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: SacaSoh]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: SacaSoh

"Gameplay" footage mixing real people with actual game footage is just plain silly....IMO. That said, WW2 Online now free to play doesn't surprise me at all....actually surprised this didn't happen a long time ago!!

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3631040 - 08/22/12 06:50 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: SacaSoh]  
clone9cz Offline
clone9cz  Offline

You are thinking wrong.
Find out any other PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG and we will see it ...
WWIIOL has best graphics in PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG, WWIIOL is still alone. No one will risk our money in the PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG, because simulation is expensive by any way.

Go back to the trees = WoT = World of BLOB = Worlds of Binary large object or World of crash Tanks banghead

IMHO enemy tank in range 1000m (optics zoom 3.5) don't need large textures, he is burning now. Join AXIS, learn the Zeiss Optics.

Stug III Ausf B, targets 1200m

Panzer IV Ausf G, targets 800m+

Panzer IV Ausf G, targets 600m+

Panzer IV Ausf G, targets 200-1000m

Armored units far then 1000m are smaller then one inch at my 24" EIZO

Last edited by clone9cz; 08/22/12 06:54 PM. Reason: quote
#3631291 - 08/23/12 05:21 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: clone9cz]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: clone9cz

You are thinking wrong.
Find out any other PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG and we will see it ...
WWIIOL has best graphics in PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG, WWIIOL is still alone. No one will risk our money in the PvP MMO FPS RTS air ground armor simulation RPG, because simulation is expensive by any way.

Heroes and Generals and Planetside 2 pretty much debunks your absurd statement.

#3631328 - 08/23/12 09:15 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Planetside 2 ground/armored units management is NOT EVEN remotely comparable to the simulation of armor vs bullets of the Armor section of WWII OL.

In WWII OL, if you keep shooting with the main gun you even have a smoke build up inside the tank.
My father was in the armored artillery during its military and confirmed how much of a good representation WWII OL makes of AFV...

Planetside 2 is mostly a game, WWII OL is actually a damn fine sim. (Except for the seriously dated graphics)
As per H&G... let me check.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3631339 - 08/23/12 10:15 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Heroes and Generals is not great I'm afraid. Been in the beta for a while now and it is pretty uninspiring.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3631369 - 08/23/12 12:43 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Mace, have you tried WWII OL? Care to give it a spin? I'd love to play with someone I know I can trust...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3632446 - 08/25/12 10:49 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I have played WWII OL quite a lot over the years but only in the free trials and never played each trial for long. the concept is great and is what dragged me in each time but then I always ended up alone in field and having to run miles to get shot by an unseen enemy lol.

I will download and have another go if you are playing komemiute smile , I'll do it after downloading the Planetside 2 beta client which I've just gotten into!

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3633076 - 08/26/12 05:03 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Good! Let's keep in touch...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3633127 - 08/26/12 06:58 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: SacaSoh]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: SacaSoh

Heroes and Generals

Doesn't look like quite the same thing. WWIIOL strength (and weakness) was the fact that it does not have "arenas," but the opportunity, anyway for a continuous front.

WWIIOL is seriously in need of a graphics update, however . . . as well as a fleshed out naval game, etc.

Last edited by Nimits; 08/26/12 06:59 PM.
#3633152 - 08/26/12 09:01 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Is there many people still playing WWIIOL? Like MaceUK, I've played it, but ended with same impression. Maybe I'll try it again if it still have enoughs players.

#3633188 - 08/26/12 10:40 PM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I have just started playing it in free to play, and I was never alone for the 2-3 times I tried (which was a nice surprise since I expected potential population problems given that I'm in the Aussie timezone). I still ended walking a lot just to be killed by unseen enemies (not a single kill by myself, but once I did hit an enemy vehicle by strafing from my fighter plane), but I expected as much.
I'm not sure about replayability in free to play though - you're very limited in your role (simple rifleman or smg, I'm sure whether any armored vehicle is accessible; fighters only, which is a pity since I'm more of the bomber pilot in this type of game), and I don't feel this game is good enough for subscription anymore - they should have gone for a business model where people could unlock a few more vehicles with a one off payment (and maybe let mission creation and other things to sub payers).

All in all, it's something nice for a change and for a bit. I hope we'll see the same "one continuous front" game with a more modern engine one day.

#3633863 - 08/28/12 05:07 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

The free to play setup at the moment only seem to work if you like infantry. While you're limited to a bolt action rifle or SMG, at least you're competitive. I've killed many a subscriber with the good old rifle biggrin and it's decent infantry gameplay for free, but the vehicle selection is just too limited.

I haven't tried the planes, but the tank selection is pretty poor, with only the most obsolete equipment available. I wanted to try out the tanking, but you hardly stand a chance against other tanks. That said, the little vickers tank with it's stealth and .50 cal chops through infantry with ease (I've got 20-30 kills a couple times on the defense).

They really should allow free players to rank up a bit more and access more stuff. Even if they never pay, they fill up the servers and that's a very useful service. A more full server will net them more subscribers. I don't think they really understand how to leverage free to play in their favor. That and they need more realistic pricing plan. Just isn't worth something like $17 a month to most people.

#3633887 - 08/28/12 07:25 AM Re: World War Two Online Now Free to Play [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
I played WWIIOL for about 7-8 years straight and off and on ever since.

The graphics may not look like some of the more modern products out, but NO other game has the sheer scale and amount of tactical options WWIIOL has. Combined arms with infantry, Armor, and air support, live communications with individual players and ranking leadership, small unit tactics, FAC missions, mass armor movements, AAA base defense, ATGs covering the perimeter, TOD and weather, doing forward recon for ground elements in a Stuka, multi-crewable tanks and aircraft, telling jokes at 2 am with my Stuka gunner because we got lost, mass paratrooper drops, towing artillery in the middle of the night to a hilltop to cover a Panzer strike on a town, etc...etc.. all of which I have experienced in 2 days of WWIIOL.

Want to know why WWIIOL has lasted this long? Because it is the ONLY game that does what it does and does it that well. It offers a lot of different options for people depending on what they want to do. Not to mention, many people in WWIIOL are just great folks. It isn't a fast-paced twitch shooter so there aren't nearly as many kids as you may see on a more mainstream FPS. The crowd is a lot more "mature" (and I use that term loosely. LOL).

I was actually involved in a fight in WWIIOL once that lasted for 53 straight hours. I stayed up the entire time. LOL

I haven't played in about 6 months so if things have changed it is news to me, but when I played, I had a LOT of fun.

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.