Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3624760 - 08/12/12 04:12 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Seriously man, can't we have an American play an American any more? Thor's Australian accent is struggling to bust out.

Jason

LOL, this made me laugh, the rest of the world has been saying the exact same thing about American actors and their hash job of everyone elses accent for years! wink
Regarding the movie The Day the War Began, yeah it's not too bad in a lightweight sort of way, there is a whole series of books, and i will be interested to see the sequel when it comes out next year. the whole PC thing is crap, especially in the case of a film portraying an historical event, example Guy Gibson's dogs name in Dam Busters, sounds like a stink was made over that, but hey the dogs name was what it was, get over it PC Police!

Craig

Last edited by IV/JG7trumps; 08/12/12 04:19 AM.

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3624769 - 08/12/12 04:58 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
As others have pointed out in this thread, I think the biggest problem with this remake is that the premise is so completely unbelievable and has an adversary which in real life would have absolutely no way of pulling off such an invasion. Even with all of the b movie cheese, at least the original film had a plausible premise.

So...nobody could possibly some day employ some sort of uber EMP bomb to knock out the grid, including computers, power, weapons systems and invade the USA? Maybe like the Korean War the Chinese are helping? wink The original film had a less likely scenario IMO...Cubans and Ruskies just dropped into Colorado (?) after a few nukes on the major cities.

Of course they took out China too...

Quote:
Jed Eckert: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3624772 - 08/12/12 05:08 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Seriously man, can't we have an American play an American any more? Thor's Australian accent is struggling to bust out.

Are you trying to tell us that Thor's an American? winkngrin

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#3624777 - 08/12/12 05:25 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: Smosh]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Smosh

Are you trying to tell us that Thor's an American? winkngrin

LOL, good point. He should play an American with a Norse God accent...from Australia.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3624782 - 08/12/12 05:56 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I was only about 5 when the original came out, so I ended up seeing it about 10-12 years later. I didn't really like it very much. I enjoyed the idea of the movie, just not the execution. It definitely could have some used some better writing and acting.

The North Koreans as an enemy worked better in "Tomorrow When the War Began", but they were just generic "Asians" and never identified specifically. Could have been Chinese, or a combo.

Probably would have preferred a remake using the original Russians as enemies again. I think I could believe that a bit more than North Koreans.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3624787 - 08/12/12 06:18 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

This film's conceit is no less absurd than the first, you may as well think of Red Dawn in a similar class as Rambo
rather than a thinking man's thriller. In that respect, the film 's major conceit simply sets up the audience for at
once for the usual bombastic messages that gets people feeling patriotic- the Soviets could have produced similar
shallow propaganda for consumption.

I seem to recall that some of the real world ideas for Red Dawn came from certain pundits and political
theorists without military backgrounds. These people promoted the belief that Latin America was in danger
of falling one by one, and sooner or later you'd have a Mexican-Marxist state that threatened the U.S. Just the ideas of
people who get paid to conjure up these scenarios from think tanks.

The Red Army was always primarily a land power designed to fight and win on a nuclear battlefield on a single
contiguous land mass, that is, Eurasia, before NATO could win the Battle of the Atlantic and turn the corner on the invasion of Europe. In no way did the Soviets
preoccupy themselves with conquering the U.S. They had neither the lift capability to transfer that much men and
equipment (undetected, no less), and. therefore by extension, nor the ability to maintain supply lines that far.

Even if they were to conduct an invasion like that, it couldn't have been a complete strategic surprise through
backdoor like it was shown in the opening scenes. Weeks or months of fighting and detection would have preceded it.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3624794 - 08/12/12 06:47 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I loved that part when Charlie Sheen (I think) asks, "What did you fly, Colonel?"

"I was an Eagle driver, kid."

Oh man, that was so killer.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3624798 - 08/12/12 07:16 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: toonces]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: toonces
I loved that part when Charlie Sheen (I think) asks, "What did you fly, Colonel?"

"I was an Eagle driver, kid."

Oh man, that was so killer.

Quote:
Jed Eckert: How did you get shot down, Colonel?
Col. Andy Tanner: It was five to one. I got four.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3624800 - 08/12/12 07:24 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Kind of funny in a way how most folks are shooting down this movie because "it could never happen".

Well, I'm pretty sure Transformers aren't living under the ocean or on the moon...

Batman can't fly with some sort of rigid winged cape...

And these aren't the droids you're looking for.

neaner

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3624813 - 08/12/12 09:02 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: Kontakt5]  
ObvilionLost Offline
ObvilionLost  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
the Soviets could have produced similar shallow propaganda for consumption.

Actually I believe that Soviets never made such a shallow propaganda. Usually its some crazy CIA guy who wants to start the war, and Soviets save the world. Sure its propaganda but not that shallow as Red Dawn.

That aside, I don't get whats the problem with the movie? Looks like a nice action movie. popcorn

#3624850 - 08/12/12 11:10 AM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Inkgnition Offline
Freelance artist
Inkgnition  Offline
Freelance artist

Wastelands
The concept behind the original movie was truly great, the execution sucked IMO. Hopefully this one will be better.

"Don't mention the war!"
#3624861 - 08/12/12 12:19 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
I think the premise was what got me, too.

I can remember thinking at the time, "Cubans invading the U.S.? Like, ohmigod, what-ever. I'm so very sure."

Yeah, in 1984 I was that gal with the parachute pants, the pixie haircut (never could get big hair right so I cut it short), waay too much eye makeup, and a generous helping of Valspeak and sarcasm. It used to drive my boy-toy (haha!) bananas.

And, AK or not, I thought Lea Thompson was like a total skank, for sure. hahaha biggrin

Miao, Cat
#3624864 - 08/12/12 12:31 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
What!?

I had to sit through what felt like 20 hours of "Some Kind of Wonderful" because my girlfriend said that there was a hot locker room scene with Lea in it.

Gah that movie sucked...

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3624870 - 08/12/12 12:57 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper
Kind of funny in a way how most folks are shooting down this movie because "it could never happen".

Well, I'm pretty sure Transformers aren't living under the ocean or on the moon...

Batman can't fly with some sort of rigid winged cape...

And these aren't the droids you're looking for.

neaner

Not trying to be pedantic but the difference with films like Transformers and Batman is that they are scifi and comic book genres so the expectation for realism isn't there and it isn't required. smile I think most of us here who watch an action/military themed movie expect a reasonable amount of realism.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3624874 - 08/12/12 01:02 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: shan2]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Originally Posted By: shan2
What!?

I had to sit through what felt like 20 hours of "Some Kind of Wonderful" because my girlfriend said that there was a hot locker room scene with Lea in it.

Gah that movie sucked...

Sit through "All the Right Moves" and you won't be disappointed.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3624895 - 08/12/12 02:01 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I think for me the sticking point will be that I've read every book about North Korea I can get my hands on (I took an interest since I lived in Seoul for a couple years)...so I have a pretty good idea of what they are about. It would have been a much more believable premise with China as the adversary or even a resurgent Russia (they find a zillion barrels of oil in their backyard or something and suddenly are flush with cash to bring back their military).

I'll still go see it..

#3624914 - 08/12/12 02:53 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
tn_prvteye Offline
Captain Awesome
tn_prvteye  Offline
Captain Awesome

Nash'Vegas, TN, USA
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
I think for me the sticking point will be that I've read every book about North Korea I can get my hands on (I took an interest since I lived in Seoul for a couple years)...so I have a pretty good idea of what they are about. It would have been a much more believable premise with China as the adversary or even a resurgent Russia (they find a zillion barrels of oil in their backyard or something and suddenly are flush with cash to bring back their military).

I'll still go see it..

It WAS China originally. They re-did the entire film to CGI the NKs in instead. They didn't want to piss off the Chinese market.

[/url] [url=http://screenrant.com/red-dawn-villains-china-north-korea-schrad-106177/]

Last edited by tn_prvteye; 08/12/12 02:53 PM.

"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
-Dwight D Eisenhower
#3624923 - 08/12/12 03:07 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

laser I Hope they do a sequel to Tomorrow when the War began. It was on the light side but a fun flick. One of the best Pilot to enemy quotes that I ever heard of was real life. During one of the Arab Wars. A enemy ground controler on the same frek said Enemy Aircraft, you are invading our airspace depart or we will send intercept fighters. The Pilots replied :
Roger, I can Wait. copter

Last edited by carrick58; 08/12/12 03:09 PM.
#3624928 - 08/12/12 03:33 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R

I can't wait to play Homefront. Bought it on a Steam Sale for $7 or something a long time ago..and it looks like a fun game.

Don't bother. It's way too short and was done with anticipation of a sequel (developer went out of business). It's a rail shooter with lots of "keep spawning bad guys until you move forward to the next section" BS.

I pre-ordered it as it looked like it would be really cool but it's not even worth the $7 you paid for it let alone the 10-20 hours you'll waste on it.

#3624932 - 08/12/12 03:44 PM Re: Red Dawn Redux.... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
it's official.....Hollywood has died

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.