Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3621755 - 08/07/12 08:42 AM If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious...  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
...and a possible mass murderer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/...are-suspicious/

Quote:
I am writing with some words of caution. I used to say that “if you’re not on Facebook, it’s possible you don’t actually exist.” I think it’s time to update that, courtesy of Slashdot: Facebook abstainers will be labeled suspicious.

Slashdot flagged a German news story in which an expert noted that mass murderers Anders Breivik and James Holmes both lacked much of a social media presence, leading to the conclusion, in Slashdot’s phrasing, that “not having a Facebook account could be the first sign that you are a mass murderer.”

And this is the german site mentioned

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspiegel/n.../6911648-2.html

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3621757 - 08/07/12 08:47 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
ROTFL, except that Breivik used facebook a lot to keep in touch with like-minded people.

#3621762 - 08/07/12 09:20 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Slashdot need to brush up on their German (or cut back on the sensationalism), because that's exactly not what the "expert" quoted in the Tagesspiegel article said.

He basically said that use of the Internet has become an integral part of our daily lives, and that it's possible to receive positive feedback and emotions from virtual friends - as long as it's being used in moderation. As long as one also maintains contact with real people, and the use of social media doesn't become an addiction, all is fine. Otherwise, this could enhance already existing mental disorders.

A total absence from social media on the other hand does not automatically indicate psychological problems.

The article mentions though that in many companies, human resources managers want to see the applicant's footprint on the Internet.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3621765 - 08/07/12 09:35 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Archer11 Offline
Archer11  Offline

Austria
Guess, Slashdot missread the article, the translation was quite bad or they needed a catchy headline because the article says something different.

But I confess, I'm a little bit scared of myself now biggrin , because I don't have an account on facebook, twitter et al. I do not write many emails or sms. I do not post often in a forum...

I feel somewhat guilty now wink , but I blame life, the universe and everthing. Way to busy with enjoying life with my better half and her sons, hiking with my dogs, having a beer now and then with my friends, reading, playing flightsims, guitars, enjoying a sunrise/-set or a fine dinner, and not at least my job to pay for all of this.

#3621770 - 08/07/12 10:04 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
Awww, so I'm a potential weirdo just because I refuse to do a virtual strip on some "social network"? Poor HRM nancies. There's no way in hell that I'll create an account at Farcebook or any other such "services" simply because I have no need for them. If that makes me look suspicious then so be it. duh

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#3621787 - 08/07/12 11:41 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Uh oh, add me to the list of extremist psychos then. I just disabled my Facebook a couple of days ago. But I guess I still spend too much time writing unpopular posts in forums. biggrin Can't be too suspicious then. biggrin

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3621797 - 08/07/12 12:02 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: csThor]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
What a load of bollocks. I have a Facebook account, but certainly wouldn't label anyone a 'weirdo' or somehow 'anti-social' for not having one. Whats all that about? People can do as they please. I don't use Facebook much, and haven't downloaded a single one of their BS "apps" etc; but one thing I will say for it is that it put me back in touch with loads of old friends from all over the country, who I'd lost touch with and otherwise probably would never have seen again. Its just a means to an end for me, really.

A bunch of us are planning on a big reunion in Manchester soon (been postponed for now) and I'm really looking forward to it.......It would never have happened otherwise, so facebook is not all bad. smile

There is maybe only a 'problem' if things like that are peoples only real social lives. Or maybe not. Who is anyone to judge? Everybody is different. yep For me though, the real world is of course where its at. Cyber banter and rubbish is fun, I like it here for example because there are lots of very funny, intelligent and witty people.....with shared interests. They are also remarkably tolerant of some of the utter bollocks and rubbish I can come out with at times, some of which bewilders even me. biggrin That is 'win' all the way. smile

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3621810 - 08/07/12 12:52 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Geez imagine all the people from the pre-Facebook era.

"You don't have what they call "the social skills." That's why you never have any friends, 'cept fo' yo' mama. "

#3621815 - 08/07/12 01:04 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I'm on FB but I hardly use it. It's kind of insipid, or rather it encourages a kind of insipid, narcissistic over sharing of personal information. As if most anybody else cares about where you walked your dog, who you're voting for, etc. Plus it tends to be an echo chamber of default reinforcement, where people post opinions with the assumption that their like-minded friends will basically with "so true" "you go girl" etc.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3621820 - 08/07/12 01:23 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Let me reiterate that "Slashdot" got the article they are quoting completely wrong.

They turned the tenor of the article completely on its head.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3621900 - 08/07/12 03:51 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Mass Murde...errr... non-Facebook user here. wave2

#3621907 - 08/07/12 04:16 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Jayhawk]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Let me reiterate that "Slashdot" got the article they are quoting completely wrong.

They turned the tenor of the article completely on its head.

It doesn't appear to be working. There is some irony here. blush

No one gets out of here alive.

#3621909 - 08/07/12 04:18 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: No Name]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
I'm on FB but I hardly use it. It's kind of insipid, or rather it encourages a kind of insipid, narcissistic over sharing of personal information. As if most anybody else cares about where you walked your dog, who you're voting for, etc. Plus it tends to be an echo chamber of default reinforcement, where people post opinions with the assumption that their like-minded friends will basically with "so true" "you go girl" etc.

thumbsup exactly FB really caters to the type of people who over inform you of what they are doing and want/need that kind of reinforcement for how whatever they think or do is "so great"...

These articles are typical FUD to get site visits... I see the media is picking up on it too.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3621964 - 08/07/12 06:13 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Jayhawk]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

The article mentions though that in many companies, human resources managers want to see the applicant's footprint on the Internet.
Next time I'll add a link to SimHQ in my resume smile

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#3622122 - 08/07/12 10:55 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
ObvilionLost Offline
ObvilionLost  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
I would not be surprised if soon enough anyone who wants to have some privacy in their lives will be labeled as suspicious.

#3622145 - 08/07/12 11:51 PM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Wait, a news outlet that got a story wrong?!? No WAY!

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#3622150 - 08/08/12 12:13 AM Re: If you don't use Facebook, you will be labeled suspicious... [Re: Remon]  
Farcaster Offline
Farcaster  Offline

Toronto, Canada
I haven't been on social media (other than the occasional post on various forums) for several years now, and it's not so much that I'm an antisocial whackjob, it's because FB and its ilk have shown they can't be trusted with private information. Either they sell it to marketing agencies or they can't batten-down the hatches against hackers. The digital footprint of the average person these days is mindboggling, and I choose to limit my exposure.

If I google my name, and it's a very unique name, I do not show up in the results. Ditto for FB and GIS. A 79 year-old Florida doctor with the same name does, though. yep

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron. Or else He's the dumbest designer that ever lived."
- Spider Robinson, Mindkiller

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.