Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3613855 - 07/26/12 09:13 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
This Saturday a friend of mine celebrates his 50th Birthday. I organized a gift certificate for a 20min Pitts Special Acro Ride...

I want a GoPro in his cockpit to see his facial expression.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3613882 - 07/26/12 10:32 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Johnny had a GoPro but the battery was dead.

#3613891 - 07/26/12 11:02 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
That was a great read smokin, very well written and your love of flying and passion shines through. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but God man, more paragraphs! My eyes! biggrin Kidding, but no....really....more paragraphs (*Overly harsh critics R US* ). hahaha

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3613943 - 07/26/12 01:10 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I need an EDITOR! Honestly, I avoided paragraphs because they made more pages and I was trying to get the length down to SimHQ's preference for 5 or less. (Currently, if viewed on 8x11 sheets, its 8).

#3614644 - 07/27/12 06:58 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Great read!

Beyond gliding distance
#3614719 - 07/27/12 10:01 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Awesome, thanks. thumbsup

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3614840 - 07/27/12 02:13 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
An evocative and inspiring account! Well done!

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#3615526 - 07/28/12 06:50 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Thanks!

#3621711 - 08/07/12 05:17 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Great story thanks for sharing!
A little bit late to read it, but glad I did. After seeing most simmers in FSX striving to get the skills to fly the airliners, it’s refreshing and reinforcing to our hobby to see an airline pilot striving to fly GA and to keep up with simming.

Maybe you’ve noticed me missing from ROF flying online – the last few weeks I’ve started spending my weekends down at my local Sydney GA airport learning to fly smile and my week nights reading the theory . My desire to fly was confirmed after a back seat aerobatic dual flight in a Citabria, and now I’m learning on Piper Warriors.

Many think simming can be a hindrance, or that it gives one false confidence. But I’m glad your story confirms that the simming DOES help. At first I was thinking oh god this is so different to simming with all the movement and different forces, I was getting used to a yoke and the need to yank it back to climb instead of the very slight pull one does with a computer joystick. Contrary to my simming with a joystick, yanking the yoke won’t send me into a nose up stall! Also to learn to actually rotate at the correct speed instead of letting the plane choose when to lift off, I’m not in a Gotha after all…

Landings are something quite different in real life to rise of flight biplane simming, with the disciplined descent path, variable wind gusts, and a proper maintained approach speed required and none of this crazy ROF plane diving under fire, and dragging it in low with speed along the ground risky stuff. I’m glad no one is trying to strafe me as I practice circuits lol.

But I’ve found little by little my sim experience is creeping into the flying to help me here and there where I least expect it. Visualising the procedures in FSX, knowing the instruments, knowing the basic rules, it all reduces the brain overload one feels when learning!

I have a long way to go, between work, bad crosswinds, bad weather, and even engine fires I only get to fly less than half of the time I plan. But slowly I’m getting there, I regret not starting sooner (now I’m 33) but I’m glad I AM starting and not regretting more later than I am now.

I think where simming would help the most is if I were to do something like IFR, since instruments are instruments real or simulated. But that is some time away for me. For now I’m enjoying the fun of flying and the thrill of learning.

See you in the virtual skies again soon.

Cheers

Ps I’m curious why you keep quiet about simming to other pilots? Is there a general dislike of sims out there with career pilots?

#3624926 - 08/12/12 03:31 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Taipan,

I almost missed this but I needed the original SimHQ article to update the google.doc version. I am probably replying to late for you to see it. But yes I have noticed your absence and glad to hear it's for a GOOD reason. Flying is just awsome. If it were free there would be no drugs and few unwanted pregnacies (but maybe a lot of colisions).

The reason I don't discuss siming to other pilots is that when you are stuck for days with someone, most of that time in a cockpit the twice the size of a phone booth, you try to stick with subject areas common to both of you. Professional pilots are conservative, see-the-world-in-black-and-white sort of people. To most of them, anyone over the age of 15 who engages in any sort of gaming (at least that which is not done on an iPad or smart phone) is a mental midget. Although I do on occasion mention combat sims, I can see the eyes of the other pilot suddenly glaze over. The conversation soon recovers when we resume safe subjects like women, cars, airline contracts and home improvement. Sad, I know, but that's the culture.

#3625392 - 08/13/12 09:44 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
Professional pilots are conservative, see-the-world-in-black-and-white sort of people. To most of them, anyone over the age of 15 who engages in any sort of gaming (at least that which is not done on an iPad or smart phone) is a mental midget. Although I do on occasion mention combat sims, I can see the eyes of the other pilot suddenly glaze over. The conversation soon recovers when we resume safe subjects like women, cars, airline contracts and home improvement. Sad, I know, but that's the culture.

Ahh now I understand smile

It's not just professional pilots, it's professionals in general. The few times I've even dared to bring up flightsims let alone combat sims, the eyes glaze over as well or I'll get the response "how do you get time for that?". Like one is not supposed to have a life past 21 years old.

When people get asked to work weekends, it's best for people not to know you spend weekends "playing games" that's for sure. "I'm busy" is a better response!

We simmers are a rare bunch, I don't know anyone in real life that sims unless I met them through sims. I've tried to show family and friends, but most people have already made their mind up that they are not interested before you begin. So I don't worry about it now I just enjoy it myself and share via forums.

Flying is different though, everyone seems interested in that although no one understands why it takes so long to get the PPL, even though they took longer to get their drivers license!

#3625404 - 08/13/12 10:28 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Quote:
It's not just professional pilots, it's professionals in general. The few times I've even dared to bring up flightsims let alone combat sims, the eyes glaze over as well or I'll get the response "how do you get time for that?". Like one is not supposed to have a life past 21 years old.

Heh, I guess my job is a bit of an exception to that rule. Two of the electrical engineers I work with - one is in his late 20s, the other in his early 30s - are just as big of gamers as I am. I can talk video games with them any time at all.

#3625422 - 08/13/12 11:15 AM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Yeah there are some gamers I run into at work, but they are just into XBOX or the handheld things really. Sometimes PC gamers, but then they are playing things like Diablo.

#3625480 - 08/13/12 01:38 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Walt Offline
Walt  Offline

Fla
Great read !
Reminds me of my *almost acrobatic rating... Many years ago when I flew often, I decided to get certified to fly a little Decatahalon at my local airstrip. First tail wheel time was more humbling than I expected,but so much fun.
Unfortunately someone prop struck her the next week ..I don't know if the plane ever flew again. I know it sat a verry long time gathering dust.

Walt,
#3657352 - 10/05/12 09:51 PM Re: A Real Pilot Again... Almost [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Thanks for posting your experiences! The Pitts really is one of the most wonderful airplanes ever built - I'm glad that not all of the airline guys have lost (if they ever had) that true aviators spirit!! This should be in a more conspicuous place I think, it's a great read. I too have had a hard time getting pilots to accept that there is much of anything worthwhile about sims...they usually fall into two camps: 1) They fly for work, and don't want to fly when they are off 2) They love flying so much and know real flying so well that the experience on a sim just doesn't cut it. I understand the second camp - since there is simply NOTHING out there that models aerobatics with much fidelity at all, and though things like TrackIR, a Buttkicker, and a decent stick do an OK job of emulating the pilot interface, the truth is, they also really fall short - especially the the stick and rudder...either way, I am obsessed with flying, and always will be, so sims, R/C, and "real flying" will always be things I'm addicted to...and I'm not ashamed to admit that one bit, despite those glazed over expressions of those that just don't get it!

S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.