Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3614113 - 07/26/12 04:46 PM A beginner needs some assistance :)  
oxymoron Offline
oxymoron  Offline

United Kingdom
Hi people,

I hope you can help a new simulator guy. I really want to get into a simulator, my first ever simulator! I have bought several of these simulators over the last couple of years, the trouble is my friends are all experts and fly successfully. Leaving me to sit on the tarmac all confused. frown

I have decided to learn A10C to a point where I can take off, navigate, spot targets, kill targets and return to base. I am just totally overwhelmed, this afternoon I have tried the HOTAS and start up tutorial, the trouble is the profile I downloaded for it was very strange and confusing.

Basically, could people suggest to me where I should start?

Sorry for my stupid thread, I'm sorry for being a beginner.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3614145 - 07/26/12 05:36 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
SlapStik Offline
SlapStik  Offline

Concord, NC
I'd say go with the training lessons in the game and study the manual (not being mean cause it really helps).

Here is a good link:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3465973/Newbie_guide_to_A10C_essential.html#Post3465973

Last edited by SlapStik; 07/26/12 05:37 PM.

DFord8 aka SlapStik
Intel i7 2600K SB, DDR3 1600 8 gb ram, Win7 64,
EVGA GTX 570 1280gb, Intel 80gb SSD.
TM Warthog #1547, MFD pack, CH PP & TIR4

#3614148 - 07/26/12 05:37 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Welcome to SimHQ, oxymoron,

Look here for lots of reference material -
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/302/1/DCS_A_10C_Warthog_FAQs_Referen.html

And this post includes some links at the top of the start up guide that includes a keyboard reference. You can find what keyboard keys do what and use those directly, or if you want to program your HOTAS this is a good guide to help you find a particular key.
You will have to download the start up guide to use the links -
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3496832/DCS_A_10C_Ramp_Start_Up_Guide_.html#Post3496832

Go through some of that stuff ... and ask away any more questions you come up with - lots of helpful folks around here.

Wrecking Crew

crew

#3614190 - 07/26/12 06:15 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Don't be silly. Being new and learning the sim is the most fun and enviable position there is.

Use as few corner corner cuts as possible for solid learning. Use maximum realism settings. No point learning everything twice. Use the manual. You don't have to read it cover to cover but reference it without hesitation. Look at the diagram for the HOTAS, look at your joystick, decide for yourself how to connect the two. Adjust and build your controls over time. You will remember controls that are the result of your decisions much better than a pre-fab profile. Keep a default keybinds printout around to cover anything you have yet to set or learn to be done via joystick.

BLOCK ONE
Start up/ Shut down
Radios
Taxiing
Takeoff
Landings

Try doing a whole simple flight with the MFDs turned off. They aren't needed for a trip around the block and can be darn distracting. Even the HUD is a bit superfluous. It takes some reading of manuals and will be slow going. First start by the book might take 45 minutes or more. Be inquisitive with the procedure, try to find out why one does each step. All approaches should be boring, if they aren't then start farther away and get stabilized earlier. ATC is picky, figure out what they want you to, where, when, and in what order. Tune a radio, set a preset, use a preset.

BLOCK TWO
Master modes
GAU-8 gun attacks
CCIP BDU-33
DSMS inventory and profiles

Basic weapons before fancy stuff will enhance your understanding of both. Change loadouts on the ramp and manually inventory them. Make several profiles for the same type of bomb. Play with it. Figuring the DSMS out will save headaches later. Learn why "/M" profiles are the devil.

BLOCK THREE
Autopilot
CDU
Navigation
IFFCC

Learn to set the autopilot for a circle so you can look down. Exhaust the CDU, look at every page. Play with the entries. Copy a waypoint. Rename a waypoint. Enter coordinates for a waypoint. Enter MGRS coordinates. Change altitude. Try 3D nav. Try TO FROM vs TO TO. Make a flight plan. Change attributes for a waypoint. Change attributes for a flight plan waypoint. Try the yellow steering bars. Try the HSI. Use DTOT to arrive on time. Look at the IFFCC menu, see what's in there.

BLOCK FOUR
SOI
SPI

Two of the most commonly confused concepts. What's SOI? What sensors can be SOI? How can you change SOI (incl. alternate ways)? When does SOI matter, when does it not? What's SPI? What sensors can generate a SPI? What's the default SPI? How do you change SPI? When does SPI matter, when does it not?

BLOCK FIVE
CCRP
CCRP IAM
Mavericks
Rockets
Flares

Every other weapon should be easy once you know the DSMS and how to fire basic weapons. There are many ways to point Mavericks, try them all.

BLOCK SIX
TGP
LGBs
TAD / Datalink

Use all the features of the TGP, all cameras, all laser types, all track types. Change laser codes. Guide a laser-guided bomb with automatic lasing, manual lasing. See how sloppy you can be with release position and still guide the bomb. Try at low altitude, at high. Configure your own TAD display profile. Broadcast your SPI over datalink. Hook an object on the TAD. Make a TAD object your SPI. Send an attack message over the datalink.

BLOCK SEVEN
Countermeasures
RWR
Emergency equipment

Edit a countermeasure program, use manual, semi, auto. Turn on the jammer. Dispense flares. Set invincible and fly into radar threats, observe the RWR. Use the fire extinguisher handles. Try manual revision.

---

There's more of course but just take it subject by subject and build your knowledge. Look up everything, be patient, play with the systems. Have fun!

#3614731 - 07/27/12 10:34 AM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
oxymoron Offline
oxymoron  Offline

United Kingdom
Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions and links!

I have started to read the essentials guide and its very useful.

I have a major problem with the game, I cannot start any engine, right alt + Home doesn't work, neither does right ctl + home, the auto start procedure also doesn't successfully start the engines into idle (right windows + home)

What on earth am I missing?

I'm following the startup training in DCS world to the letter, tried this at least 10 times now without success.

EDIT: Some progress, I reloaded my old install of v1.1.1.1 and the tutorial worked perfectly!

How can I get 1.2 to work? I need this to work as that's what my friends fly.

Last edited by oxymoron; 07/27/12 11:18 AM.
#3614885 - 07/27/12 04:03 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
If you are in a tutorial that may be the reason.

Sorry, not sure, but there may be tutorial updates for DCS World A-10C.

OTOH, try the Missions -> Ramp Start and follow one of the written start up guides.

WC

#3614890 - 07/27/12 04:08 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
oxymoron Offline
oxymoron  Offline

United Kingdom
It wouldn't work on any mission. I have fixed it though, it was a corrupt install. A re-install has fixed it.

I have now gotta work out how to get both throttles mapped to my single throttle on my X52.

#3614957 - 07/27/12 05:24 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
RaXha Offline
RaXha  Offline

Sweden
Go to controls and then axis controls and you will find a line saying "throttle", map that to your x52 and remove the mappings for left and right engine throttle smile

#3614977 - 07/27/12 05:49 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

There is a single "throttles" bind in the axes section of the controls.

#3618287 - 08/01/12 07:22 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
Samwise Offline
Samwise  Offline

Wild West
The single throttle control works great too. In my experience the only time you will need to use individual throttles is when you lose an engine. I would also suggest running the free flight ramp start mission several times. That will give you ample opportunity to get the cold start procedure down (if you want to use it of course) and is also a great opportunity to learn the systems of the aircraft and dial in your landings.

#3618300 - 08/01/12 07:33 PM Re: A beginner needs some assistance :) [Re: oxymoron]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Buy a Composition Book,
Run the Tutorial, Take notes during the Tutorial,
Complete the Startup Tutorial,

Create a Fast Mission, Start on Ground, hardest difficulties.

Startup, taxi, end mission, repeat.

After 4 or 5 startups, most of it will be retained in your memory..

if your unsure after the tutorial, you can flip open composition book to "startup page" and go from there.

Repeat for the other tutorials.

I'd go with Startup, Flight, Radios, Landing, etc first,

then move on to radios,

then move on to weapons.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.