Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3612536 - 07/24/12 05:32 AM Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2  
PMIK Offline
PMIK  Offline

Hi SimHQ members,

I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I love military sims of all types and have come to really respect the opinions of the writers and forum members on this site.

I've not played a flight sim for several years now but I'm keen to get back into them. I enjoy a complex study sim (I played quite a bit of Falcon 4.0:Allied Force) but I think I'll ease myself in with something a little lighter and the Strike Fighters series looks perfect.

My initial thought was to buy the first installment (Strike Fighters 2) and then the others in succession, however, I've read that the later installments also have engine and graphics updates. Does the first Strike Fighters 2 game also get these updates? Am I better off buying SF2:NA and then adding the other games into it? Am I better off just getting SF2:Israel due to the variety of aircraft and time periods?

In other words: How should I get started in the world of Strike Fighters 2?

Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3612566 - 07/24/12 08:07 AM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
Muesli Offline
Muesli  Offline

Netherlands
Until recently I would have given a positive advice. However,
since the game is getting more and more un-moddable it is losing
its charm fast. So, when you want to play it out of the box,
go ahead. But in my honest opinion the only way the game has
potential, is loaded with mods. And you know where that is going...

Shuttle SG41J4 (heavily modified) - Q9650 3.0GHz - GTX560Ti 2GB Phantom- Win7Ult 64- 8GB RAM - 60+512+512GB SSD
#3612627 - 07/24/12 12:43 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
It's still worth taking a look at. Some things have certainley changed, but lite-sim combat fun can still be had. Flew 2 missions last night and had a good old time. I really can't recommend buying SF2 first since I personally think it is the most bland of the titles. But for $30, I think SF2:Israel with it's variety is a bargain. Throw in Stary's terrain mod, and you've got yerself a winner.

#3612647 - 07/24/12 01:28 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
I think SF2E gives you the widest timeframe and the most variety (in terms of flyable aircraft) out of the box.

I would just pick whichever planeset interests you the most. All the downloads in the ThirdWire store are at the current patch level, so graphically and performance-wise they are all the same.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3612712 - 07/24/12 03:47 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Ok Brother, here's my 2 cents.

This came off the third wire forums, TK's advice on the suggested order of installation.
http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB3w/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6582

Installation Notes:

* All the games in Strike Fighters 2 series (Strike Fighters 2, Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam, Strike Fighters 2 Europe, Strike Fighters 2 Israel etc) will install into the same folder merged by default.

* If you're installing May 2011 or later versions of our games, they can be installed and merged in any order.

* If you're merging Jan 2011 or older versions of games, then they must be installed in the order they were released:
1. Strike Fighters 2
2. Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam
3. Strike Fighters 2 Europe
4. Strike Fighters 2 Israel
5. Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1
6. Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2
(again, above order only applies if you're merging Jan 2011 or older versions of games)

* If you have 2009 Combo installer, you need to use the following two updates before merging May 2011 or later version of Expansion Packs:
. Strike Fighters 2 Israel Jun 2010 Update
. Strike Fighters 2 series May 2011 Update

Un-installation Notes:

* You should generally uninstall games in reverse order they were installed, ie, last game installed should be uninstalled first, etc. So uninstall Strike Fighters 2 Europe first, then Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam, then Strike Fighters 2 last.

* Uninstalling the Strike Fighters 2 will delete the merged folder and all the files for others in the series as well, so this should be uninstalled last.

Patching / Update Notes:

* When you have more than one Strike Fighters 2 games installed merged, you only need to apply the patch for the latest game installed. Patches for other games do not need to be applied. For example, merged install of Strike Fighters 2 plus Strike Fighters 2 Europe should use only the Strike Fighters 2 Europe patch and not Strike Fighters 2 patch.

* Not all Strike Fighters 2 installs require patching. Web-based setup files are sometimes updated to include the latest patches. Please check the version number on the lower right corner of the main screen to see if your game requires patching.

* If you're merging games, you do not need to apply any patches before merging. The newer game will update the older games to the same standard.

Saved Game Folder Notes:

* Strike Fighters 2 saves out all customization files (options file, controls file, pilot data, campaign saved data, and any screenshots taken) into "Saved Game" folder. Exact location of the Saved Game folder depends on your Windows version:

On Windows 7 and Windows Vista, Saved Game folder (for Strike Fighters 2) is

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

You can also go to the saved game folder by right clicking on the game icon in Games Explorer and selecting "goto Saved Game folder".

On Windows XP, Saved Game folder is in

My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

You can also go to the saved game folder by its full path

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

* Each game will have its own Saved Game folder, "StrikeFighters2" folder for Strike Fighters 2, "StrikeFighters2 Vietnam" folder for Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam, etc.

* The Saved Game folder is created when the game is first run, and not by the installer.

* Some contents of Saved Game folder are also updated when you run the game first time after applying a patch.

* The Saved Game folder is not deleted by the uninstaller. To do a full, clean and fresh "re-install", you may need to delete the Saved Game folder to remove any mods installed there.

* If you need to rebuild the stock aircraft list, you can delete the file Version.INI from Saved Game folder, and it'll rebuild the list next time you run the game. You may need to do this if you're missing any stock aircraft.

Modding Notes:

* Strike Fighters 2 series do not look for mods in the program folder where the games are installed. They instead look for mods in Saved Game folders, so all mods should be installed into the Saved Game folder.

* Some mods may require additional sub-folders within the Saved Game folder (for example, Terrains folder, or Objects\Weapons sub-folder). Any such folder not created by default can be manually created by simply right clicking on an empty place to bring up Windows menu, select New, then Folder.

* By default, all games use separate Saved Game folders, so mods are also kept separate for each game by default.

* If you wish to have mods folder also merged, or to move the Saved Game folder somewhere else, you can edit the Options.INI, [Mods] section, Directory= line. Options.INI (and only this file) must remain in the default Saved Game folder.

TK
Ace

Hope this helps.

Heat2151
USN Retired, 08.

Last edited by heat2151; 07/24/12 03:49 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#3612776 - 07/24/12 05:45 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Um. yeah, I think you lost the plot a bit there, heat.

My suggestion would be SF2V, as there are some great mods for it and it's a lot of fun. Having said that, I bought them when they were much cheaper and got them in 2 batches (SF2, E and V first, then I and update packages later).

tbh when I fly SF2 now, I still go first to SF2V and haven't even looked at SF2I as yet - so that may be good, too, depends on what you like, I suppose.

You can also use the Mescalaro Proving Grounds mod with it - which is great for practising both ground attacks and air combat.

I say it as I see it
#3612815 - 07/24/12 07:13 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: Muesli]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Originally Posted By: Muesli
Until recently I would have given a positive advice. However,
since the game is getting more and more un-moddable it is losing
its charm fast.

Really? How? Do the new patches mess up more stuff?

(I think I was raging hard when one of the 2011 updates limited autogen draw distance...)

#3612834 - 07/24/12 07:36 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
The latest patch has hardcoded a very wide latitude of performance for player missiles only, not for AI.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3612897 - 07/24/12 09:00 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: PFunk
The latest patch has hardcoded a very wide latitude of performance for player missiles only, not for AI.

And turned all.the soviet naval SAMs into ballistic rockets...

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3612926 - 07/24/12 09:35 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: malibu43]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: malibu43

And turned all.the soviet naval SAMs into ballistic rockets...

I hadn't heard about that one...

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3612983 - 07/24/12 10:49 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
PMIK Offline
PMIK  Offline

Thanks for the input guys!

I had a quick look at the Third Wire forums to explore the issues you mentioned. It seems the author is now focusing more on making a "game" that can be beaten rather than a "sim". I guess that's fine as long as I approach the games the right way.

I was initially thinking of grabbing SF-I, because I love the F-16, F-15 and the middle east scenario. However, I used to play Janes IAF years ago to death and I feel the setting will probably feel similar. Then I thought SF-E but it seemed a bit similar to the selection of fighters and setting in LockOn:Flaming Cliffs (Which I've just picked up too).

I think I will buy SF-vietnam. I've never flown a sim in Vietnam war and haven't really flown many 4th Generation fighters before. (Except in Janes IAF)

One question before I buy, What are the campaigns for these games like? Its a bit hard to find concrete info. Are they static? Dynamic? Does your pilot improve rank etc.?

#3612996 - 07/24/12 11:32 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
SF2:V is good. I pretty much play that one stock + the latest Green Hell terrain mod.

The campaigns are limited dynamic. Basically, the campaign runs itself like a simple strategy game while giving you generated missions from 9 different types (depending on what plane you use). The missions will always be different, with different targets, enemies, friendlies and other missions going on at the same time. But, they do tend to feel very similar sometimes. Don't expect anything near as elaborate as Falcon 4.0 . Your success or failure will have an effect on the campaign, but with the historical campaigns in SF2:V, you're not going to change the overall outcome.

...and your pilot will progress in rank, get medals etc.

System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
#3613023 - 07/25/12 12:23 AM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: arthur666]  
PMIK Offline
PMIK  Offline

Thanks arthur, that sounds pretty good. I guess I'll try SF2:V and see how I like it.

#3613429 - 07/25/12 05:25 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER

So no more (player) weapons packs?

Either TK is gearing up for a multiplayer mode or he's lost it.

#3613442 - 07/25/12 05:38 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: Heretic]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Heretic

So no more (player) weapons packs?

Either TK is gearing up for a multiplayer mode or he's lost it.

I don't know to what extent 3rd party weapons packs are affected by TK's decision, I haven't had the game installed since...well, I guess it was May.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3613510 - 07/25/12 07:23 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
PMIK, I would recommend downloading the AGXP Gold add-on from Combat Ace, for SF2V - makes it a lot better than stock.

I have to admit, I did find a lot of the missions very 'samey' in SF2V Rolling Thunder campaign (in my A-4), but once in the air the challenges were fun, especially trying to get back home alive being chased by MiGs etc.

I say it as I see it
#3614050 - 07/26/12 03:10 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
I don't know to what extent 3rd party weapons packs are affected by TK's decision, I haven't had the game installed since...well, I guess it was May.

Well, I've got 2E installed, but I rarely play it.The codebase from backintheday is dead, dead, dead. The odd times I've fired it up, I haven't noticed any difference though.

#3617305 - 07/31/12 02:37 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
castiglione Offline
castiglione  Offline

Houston, Texas, United States ...
I actually think the "funnest" SF2 game is SF2: I. There's good variety in aircraft you can fly and the air seems more busy since everything is crammed into a smaller map.

I've been trying out SF2: NA and I've been a bit underwhelmed although I haven't given it much of a chance.

"Hello! How are you gentlemen?

You have no chance to survive, make your time!"
#3629894 - 08/20/12 06:52 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PMIK]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
I picked up SF2:Europe over the weekend (and a couple of mods installed using GME) and am really enjoying it. Any recommendations for the other parts of the series to tack on?

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#3629925 - 08/20/12 07:50 PM Re: Advice on starting Strike Fighters 2 [Re: Leaf85]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Leaf85
I picked up SF2:Europe over the weekend (and a couple of mods installed using GME) and am really enjoying it. Any recommendations for the other parts of the series to tack on?

Depends what you like - you could get expansion pack 2 for SF2E for more 50/60s stuff - or I would recommend SF2I and get Starys Israel Terrain mod from Combatace.com

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.