Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3601904 - 07/04/12 09:18 PM Tell Me the Truth, Please!!!  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I read on a gaming site taht GR Future Soldier for the PC is third-person only. Is it true? There is no full time first person mode?

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3601917 - 07/04/12 10:04 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Yes, it's 3rd person only. You have a first person view through scopes though.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3603059 - 07/07/12 05:27 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Mace71]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Yes, it's 3rd person only. You have a first person view through scopes though.

That TOTALLY, TOTALLY FRIGGIN' SUCKS!!!! That makes it nothing more than a console game!!!! My God! What has happened to this once great franchise? Totally DUMBED DOWN! No one self-respecting tactical shooter fanatic should waste money on this piece of crap!

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3603152 - 07/07/12 08:21 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
It's actually not a bad game.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3603163 - 07/07/12 08:44 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Arma must be terrible, you can switch back and forth from 1st to 3rd on demand.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3603240 - 07/08/12 12:10 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
That TOTALLY, TOTALLY FRIGGIN' SUCKS!!!! That makes it nothing more than a console game!!!! My God! What has happened to this once great franchise? Totally DUMBED DOWN! No one self-respecting tactical shooter fanatic should waste money on this piece of crap!

Where have you been for the last eight years bud?

#3603793 - 07/09/12 06:39 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

You don't have many good options.

1. Keep playing original Ghost Recon for 11 straight years.
2. Don't play anything at all, because there are no tactical shooters like original GR anymore.
3. Keep playing ARMA 2 while waiting for ARMA 3.
4. Face reality and play what is available.

Future Soldier singleplayer isn't as bad as I expected it to be. It's actually pretty entertaining. Unfortunately it's also about the closest you'll get to a true tac shooter outside of ARMA right now. And that's about as far as I will go in defending the game...

Also don't take this post the wrong way. I think we all feel the same way as you about the lack of tac shooters and the current state of the Ghost Recon (and Tom Clancy brand) games. I'm just not ready to find a new hobby because they don't make games like original GR anymore, so I'll try out what they do make.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3604172 - 07/09/12 07:33 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California

I'm not defending GRFS, but, just who made it law that a tactical shooter MUST be 1st person?? What exactly is a "tactical" shooter anyway?? Seriously, GRFS was never going to be anything more than an FPS with a bit of a twist console port to compete with BF and CoD!! I mean, weren't there TV adds focused entirely on weapon customization......excuse me, did you say weapon customization.....big freakin deal!!! This had console FPS written all over it from day 1.

....and I'd still like to know why 3rd-person can't be tactical??

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3604421 - 07/10/12 04:04 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I got a really sloppy hat-trick in “Siege” (one life) mode for the win tonight biggrin (thanks to my squadmate NIGHTSTAR) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3PV3v2060

So nobody here at SimHQ is playing GRFS??? Wow.

#3604454 - 07/10/12 07:27 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I'm playing it although MP is hard to get used to with the odd run sensitivity and aiming mechanic smile good though.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3607830 - 07/16/12 12:24 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: HogDriver]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
You don't have many good options.

1. Keep playing original Ghost Recon for 11 straight years.
2. Don't play anything at all, because there are no tactical shooters like original GR anymore.
3. Keep playing ARMA 2 while waiting for ARMA 3.
4. Face reality and play what is available.

Future Soldier singleplayer isn't as bad as I expected it to be. It's actually pretty entertaining. Unfortunately it's also about the closest you'll get to a true tac shooter outside of ARMA right now. And that's about as far as I will go in defending the game...

Also don't take this post the wrong way. I think we all feel the same way as you about the lack of tac shooters and the current state of the Ghost Recon (and Tom Clancy brand) games. I'm just not ready to find a new hobby because they don't make games like original GR anymore, so I'll try out what they do make.

Well said, HogDriver. I understand your logic. I guess I'm just a stubborn old codger. I'm still playing Raven Shield, much more of a tactical shooter than GRFS! I play every day online, and the two servers I frequent fill up quite nicely with people who have similar interests. A lot of Germans for some reason. And, yes, I still play the original Ghost Recon and the original Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, but mostly single-player. Why give up the best of all time for crap?

To the fellow who asks why a tactical shooter has to be first person, my response is this: Does a legit flight sim need a cockpit view? Seriously, imagine the DCS flight sims or FSX or Falcon with no cockpit view, but instead only a third-person, outside the aircraft view to fly with? What kind of flight simulator is that? Answer: it isn't. It's arcade. Well, what kind of legit tactical shooter does not have a full-time, through the eyes of your soldier view?

Call GRFS a terrifically fun game, if you like, but don't call it a tactical shooter! You blaspheme the legacy of the superb Red Storm tactical shooters which did it the RIGHT way. GRFS' 3rd person view is another horrific step to console hell. Obviously, today's programmers are all grown up console gamers who as kids worshipped the 3rd person action view and hated the more realistic first person view because they weren't any good at it.

The Red Storm programmers must've all died off. Where are they? It's sad, really, but simple. It's all about market share. To expand your market you have to dumb down the product. The more complicated (or difficult) the product, the smaller the market. The easier and simpler the bigger the market. That's why the Wii took off when it did. Even 80 and 90 year olds could do it. Very basic capitalism, but it doesn't do anything for real tactical shooter aficionados. We're not the capitalists who made the product. We don't stand to benefit one dime. We're the end consumer. We want what we want, not what the simpleton living next door or the grandma across the street can play.

Maybe DCS should only make out of the cockpit arcade flyers to appeal to more gamers and sell more product? Would you like that? Maybe SimBin and ISI should dumb down their product to Need for Speed level. Would you like that? I don't think so. Well, dumbing down is exactly what's happened to GR and what was once a great series of product from Red Storm. Look at what's happened to R6/Rogue Spear. They've morphed into the pathetic, nauseatingly SCRIPTED Vegas games just to attract more buyers.

Before you criticize me for criticizing a GR title with no first person, just imagine how you would feel if DCS, ISI, SimBin etc., produced their flight and racing sims with no cockpits. That's how I feel seeing first person view go bye-bye from a once great series.

Last edited by Plainsman; 07/16/12 12:34 PM.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3607973 - 07/16/12 04:58 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
I get your point - you don't like GRFS because it isn't 1st person. What I don't understand is why you think 1st person in a squad game is required to be tactical? Comparing vehicle simulations to a squad game (is GRFS a vehicle simulation?) or saying GRFS' predecessors all had 1st person (making them more tactical, I guess?) isn't an explanation of how a 3rd person squad game can NOT be tactical. There are a number of 3rd person squad games that offer varying levels of tactical gameplay.

For the record, I totally support your stance for not settling for what's available, as others have suggested. If you don't like it, don't give them your money - I wish more gameplayers were as dedicated!! And again, I am NOT defending GRFS, nor am I asking why GRFS isn't more like a vehicle simulation. I'm just wondering why you so loudly proclaim the impossibility of a 3rd person squad game being tactical?

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3607992 - 07/16/12 05:21 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

Well said, HogDriver. I understand your logic. I guess I'm just a stubborn old codger. I'm still playing Raven Shield, much more of a tactical shooter than GRFS! I play every day online, and the two servers I frequent fill up quite nicely with people who have similar interests. A lot of Germans for some reason. And, yes, I still play the original Ghost Recon and the original Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, but mostly single-player. Why give up the best of all time for crap?

Plainsman,

I thought of you when I saw this video! Kind of makes me want to fire Raven Shield back up!

We gave Ghost Recon:Heroes Unleashed a re-try a couple of weeks ago and remembered with great fondness the great GR sessions we had with you onboard!

Last edited by Recluse; 07/16/12 05:22 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3608001 - 07/16/12 05:28 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Desert_Ranger]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
I get your point - you don't like GRFS because it isn't 1st person. What I don't understand is why you think 1st person in a squad game is required to be tactical? Comparing vehicle simulations to a squad game (is GRFS a vehicle simulation?) or saying GRFS' predecessors all had 1st person (making them more tactical, I guess?) isn't an explanation of how a 3rd person squad game can NOT be tactical. There are a number of 3rd person squad games that offer varying levels of tactical gameplay.

For the record, I totally support your stance for not settling for what's available, as others have suggested. If you don't like it, don't give them your money - I wish more gameplayers were as dedicated!! And again, I am NOT defending GRFS, nor am I asking why GRFS isn't more like a vehicle simulation. I'm just wondering why you so loudly proclaim the impossibility of a 3rd person squad game being tactical?

I'm not really saying 3rd person can't be tactical. I'm saying it's less realistic. Just like flying a fighter jet sim from outside the cockpit is less realistic than flying from inside the cockpit. I think all but the most dedicated arcade gamers would agree. It seems they've dumbed down the realism level over time in the GR series. The calculated elimination of the 1st person style of play is just another nail in the coffin for tactical shooter fans that prefer the greater realism of first person. I'm so disappointed.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3608761 - 07/17/12 09:00 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
I'm not really saying 3rd person can't be tactical. I'm saying it's less realistic. Just like flying a fighter jet sim from outside the cockpit is less realistic than flying from inside the cockpit. I think all but the most dedicated arcade gamers would agree. It seems they've dumbed down the realism level over time in the GR series. The calculated elimination of the 1st person style of play is just another nail in the coffin for tactical shooter fans that prefer the greater realism of first person. I'm so disappointed.

For certain, the GR franchise is not what it used to be. GR might not be the run-n-gun fragfests that many other shooters are (thank the maker!!) but it is a shooter nonetheless. Comparing GR to a vehicle simulation is, IMO, comparing apples to oranges and your comment that a 3rd person shooter is automatically less realistic, more arcadey, and less tactical simply because a 3rd person jet simulation would be less realistic, more arcadey, and less tactical caught me off guard. That said, I agree it is rather odd that GRFS (a shooter) should NOT have 1st person....in fact, it makes no sense at all ("calculated elimination" is probably a bit strong, but I get your point!) cheers

#3608910 - 07/18/12 12:43 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
JayTac Offline
JayTac  Offline

I've been wanting to give this a go, have they cleared up the important issues yet?

#3614101 - 07/26/12 04:16 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think 3rd person works for stealth games like Thief and Splinter Cell, but I dislike 3rd person for shooters for the same reason I dislike carrying giant guns...they block your FOV. Plus, I don't need to see my body. It does nothing for me when all I do is run, stand, crouch, and lie down. Big deal.

So that's my beef with it...it doesn't ADD anything to the experience at all, but it does DETRACT in several ways which affect you more or less depending on how you play. What's funny is that you would think it would be harder to make it 3rd person than 1st, or another way "how hard would it be to allow 1st person as well?"

I do use 3rd person in Arma, but usually in non-combat situations.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3615344 - 07/28/12 11:55 AM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Jedi Master]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I think 3rd person works for stealth games like Thief and Splinter Cell, but I dislike 3rd person for shooters for the same reason I dislike carrying giant guns...they block your FOV. Plus, I don't need to see my body. It does nothing for me when all I do is run, stand, crouch, and lie down. Big deal.

So that's my beef with it...it doesn't ADD anything to the experience at all, but it does DETRACT in several ways which affect you more or less depending on how you play. What's funny is that you would think it would be harder to make it 3rd person than 1st, or another way "how hard would it be to allow 1st person as well?"

I do use 3rd person in Arma, but usually in non-combat situations.

The Jedi Master

Amen! Well said, Jedi Master. Well said!

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3615379 - 07/28/12 01:42 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Plainsman]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I remember in a video by one of the ARMA 2 devs before it came out saying they added the 3rd person view to make up for lack of peripheral vision when playing a game on a monitor. Wider FOV would fix this on first person?

#3615544 - 07/28/12 07:42 PM Re: Tell Me the Truth, Please!!! [Re: Mace71]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Yup, the 3rd person view offers a wider FOV.

I also agree with Jedi Master in that the 3rd person view works well in GRFS since it’s largely a stealth game. You can pull off some pretty advanced maneuvers behind cover so being able to “see” your body helps a lot.

Also, don’t forget that the 1st person weapon sight view is quite functional in GRFS. I guess I’d call it the “cockpit” view wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.