Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3603866 - 07/09/12 11:44 AM Do you think BOM will be well done?  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
I realise this might sound like a troll thread, but it's really not intended that way.
I bought two copies of ClOD, pre-ordered in fact. My PC doesn't have the guts to run it, even the single flight over the Channel was too much for it unfortunately, so I cannot say how the game really is. I hope to get a new PC in the next 6months or so and then I might be able to give it a better shot. However, despite my lack of experience, it seems to be reasonable to say that there are one or two shortcomings with Cliffs of Dover thus far.
So,based on the progress so far in rectifying the problems, do you think they'll get it right for Battle of Moscow? I really hope so. I'd love an updated version of IL-2 that didn't need modpacks.

Mods - if this is too controversial or gets out of hand, please delete the thread.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3603965 - 07/09/12 02:24 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
Thanks, Icarus. I'm a bit interested in the Eastern front but mainly I'm interested in whether things like the missions and campaigns will be fun (and of course, will the thing be playable with decent frame rates with good-sized formations on my as yet imaginary mid-range PC).Do you think they'll use the code from COD as a base for BOM? I assume that was the original plan, but if the base code doesn't work that well, then it doesn't seem such a great idea to me. I guess no-one can answer that question though.

#3604101 - 07/09/12 05:35 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: FlatSpinMan
Thanks, Icarus. I'm a bit interested in the Eastern front but mainly I'm interested in whether things like the missions and campaigns will be fun (and of course, will the thing be playable with decent frame rates with good-sized formations on my as yet imaginary mid-range PC).Do you think they'll use the code from COD as a base for BOM? I assume that was the original plan, but if the base code doesn't work that well, then it doesn't seem such a great idea to me. I guess no-one can answer that question though.

All indications and statements say that BOM will use the same game engine as COD. COD was released before the game engine was working properly. Unfortunately they have had to do major re-workings of the game engine and its still not working properly. There is no point in releasing BOM until the game engine is fixed. Although the bean counters could release BOM even with an unfinished game engine as a last gasp cash grab before shutting down the development. That said as long as the bean counters let the developers keep working on the sim there is a chance it could be fixed. The only reason the bean counters haven't shut the development down and cut their losses is there is a potential for ten to fifteen years of Sequels, and MMO dollars.

(IF) the game engine is fixed most of COD's problems will go away, and modders will be able to build missions and campaigns the way the game should be played. COD will still enjoy new features, and improved features, over the years when they merge their game with the sequels. Atleast this was the game plan which could change at any time. There was going to be an announcement in June regarding MMO's or the Sequel which should have given some hint as to the future, but further game engine difficulties appears to have postponed the announcement. Hopefully not permanently.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3604141 - 07/09/12 06:55 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

We need to know if its MMO, a stand alone or a merged sequel first.
To be honest all bets are off at the moment.

#3604164 - 07/09/12 07:19 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Originally Posted By: FlatSpinMan

TBH, there's nothing in the game that even holds a candle to your campaigns, that includes the online play.

In fact, just this weekend, I reinstalled everything for old IL-2 1946 and played a marathon session of LWP: Legion Kondor.

I wish I could import the visuals, flight control fidelity (at least prior to the last two patches), and DM into your campaigns, but this engine is just trash compared to the old game, and coding simple missions is a nightmare of what works or doesn't...

You ever going to put Willi into the Eastern Front? *hint hint* wink

Last edited by cheesehawk; 07/09/12 07:22 PM. Reason: added
#3604182 - 07/09/12 07:46 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
EAF_92 Whiskey Offline
EAF_92 Whiskey  Offline

Suffolk, UK
No.

WB.

I'm Spartacus.
#3604200 - 07/09/12 08:15 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
'Do you think BOM will be well done?'

I do prefer my sims to be well done, and my eggs over-easy. Or three minute.

#3604208 - 07/09/12 08:24 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
No.

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#3604218 - 07/09/12 08:41 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Medium rare.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3604222 - 07/09/12 08:47 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I'm just hoping it won't be half-baked... itsabeta

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3604223 - 07/09/12 08:48 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I can't say the word "No" strongly enough.

CLOD was in development for what, 6-7 years? Over a year after release it runs OK on good PCs, but content-wise the game is in a sorry state. Campaigns are crap, single missions are only good for brief diversions now and then, and multiplayer seems to be mainly a small group of die-hards playing it. (I personally don't play online, and that's NOT an insult)

I don't see how BOM could possibly be well done. Especially if they are diverting attention to an MMO as well. Or if BOM will be an MMO, I think that actually decreases the odds of the game being well done. Unless you're an online only player, and then MAYBE it might be better for you than CLOD. They wouldn't have to try and make campaigns or AI if it was an MMO.

I obviously have no faith in the developers. I hope they can make a well done game, because I'd love to play it. However I think I'd be more likely to find a winning lotto ticket tucked between the breasts of a supermodel I was about to sleep with.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3604258 - 07/09/12 09:43 PM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: HogDriver]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
However I think I'd be more likely to find a winning lotto ticket tucked between the breasts of a supermodel I was about to sleep with.

Let us know how you get on with that winkngrin
To respond to the OP, I really really hope so, but somehow I doubt it. I think a lot of people will be more cautious this time and wait for the reviews rather than diving in blind. If it's not well done it's not going to sell what it needs. I pretty sure the devs are aware of this and want to turn all of their attention to BOM(or whatever it will be called) so they have a chance to get it right.

Last edited by Bokononist; 07/09/12 09:43 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3604361 - 07/10/12 01:47 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
"Do you think BOM will be well done?'

Nope. Considering things have been going more or less downhill since PF, I'd suspect we will get more of the same.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

#3604368 - 07/10/12 02:05 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
"Do you think BOM will be well done?"

Nope.
How could 1C change my mind? By releasing a demo. I discovered IL2 with its demo, and then ran to the shop to buy it. I ran to pre order ClOD, but I wish there had been a demo for it. This time around, they'll really need to put a shining demo out there to bring back any sort of confidence in the IL2 team, and even then it would be hard to wash away the bitter after taste that ClOD is leaving to me.

Apart from that, I like the setting. I'd love to experience a new generation of models for the IL2, I16 etc, I love the Russian planes, but that won't be enough to draw me back. It's a shame, it seems that the 1C Team hasn't got the talent and skill to produce the proper game content, while other teams have that but a rotten philosophy when it comes to their sim philosophy and business model, what a waste. I don't expect to see a true successor to IL2 in many years, I guess I'll just spent time in RoF and DCS, but I'll miss my ww2 planes...

#3604385 - 07/10/12 02:50 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Beazil Offline
Beazil  Offline

Too many hands in too many pies at the moment it seems. One team working on three projects does not equate success - especially when one of those projects - that being the only actively released one - appears to be making little progress in terms of fixing glaring performance issues on modern hardware. That's without touching other issues with the game.

I'd support their efforts in the end anyway - just for bringing something "new" to the table for this genre. But they really will need to pull a rabbit out of their collective hats to restore market confidence from many, I think.

#3604396 - 07/10/12 03:13 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I hope it will be done well.

If they fixed the glaring issues with the AI (rolling, inexplicable ROE), sorted out most of the graphics engine wonkiness (clouds killing performance, abrasive LOD pop-in), and included some decent single player content, I'd probably buy it when it hit $20 provided there are no new massive problems.

If they stuck a career system in there such as ROF has, I'd pay $40 for it.

That really doesn't seem like a lot to ask for, but nevertheless, I suspect it is all too much. It's a shame too, because in the very rare instances where everything comes together and it's working properly, COD can be quite brilliant.

#3604449 - 07/10/12 06:29 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I have absolutely no faith in these people anymore.. My instinct is telling me they will rake in as much money as they can before it all folds in on them.
They have already scammed many people by making us believe that CLoD would be fixed and would deliver what was promised.. not going to happen is it, oh! unless we now buy BoM, which may or may not sort it.
If you p+ss off your customer base it's a recipe for disaster in any form of business.. at the moment I wouldn't trust them to make me coffee and toast correctly!

#3604457 - 07/10/12 07:44 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
WELL:

1 in a good or satisfactory manner. (Hmmm maybe)
2. thoroughly, carefully, or soundly. (not before the second or third patch)
3. in a moral or proper manner. (No. Using your buyers as beta testers isn't particularly moral)
4. commendably, meritoriously, or excellently. (Nup)
5. with propriety, justice, or reason: I could not well refuse. (I could well ignore BoM)
6. in good health; sound in body and mind: Are you well? He is not a well man. (CoD is not a well game)
7. satisfactory, pleasing, or good: All is well with us. (Nope)
13. proper, fitting, or gratifying: It is well that you didn't go. (It is well that they fix CoD before trying to sell BoM)
14. in a satisfactory position; well-off: I am very well as I am. (I am very well playing BOBII).

DONE:

1. completed; finished; through: Our work is done. (Nix.)
2. cooked sufficiently. (Cooked for a long long time yes, but not well done.)
3. worn out; exhausted; used up. (Maybe not, they might find a new angle with MMO).
4. in conformity with fashion, good taste, or propriety; acceptable: It isn't done. (Speaks for itself!)

[Linked Image]
#3604460 - 07/10/12 07:57 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
BodyBag Offline
BodyBag  Offline

Denmark
If they are using the same engine as in CoD, then NO!

There must be something fundamental wrong with that engine, because even after 18 months of patching (and 7 years of development), it is still not pushing the graphics through in a satisfying manner. And we are still missing a working comm. system and any SP campaigns that makes sense.

We have never heard the true story of how this CoD-project could take so long and achieve so little,- was there too much vodka and too little project-management & quality control going on?

I find it close to criminal behavior, to charge full price at release for a game so broken and lacking in promised features, as CoD was. I still think the company deserved to go bust for that decision.
Thank God I never bought it at release, but picked it up for 10$ later. And with Desastersoft's campaign add-on, I now have a working game (with stutters) for around 30$.

Looking at the Gaijin crew, they have no problems with creating wonderful maps and planes that runs stutter-free at 60+ fps. So if Luthier and Co. are not totally retards (and I don't think so), they are flogging a dead horse right now.

With something wrong with both the engine and the team-management, the BoM-project will prob. run over budget and over time. This will result in a game that is bound to be incomplete and full of bugs, if it ever gets finished.

But this time customers will be a little more cautious, so BoM could very well be the last game from Luthier and Co.

Anyway, I would not hold my breath...

Last edited by BodyBag; 07/10/12 12:21 PM.

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap"
- Napoleon Bonaparte -
#3604469 - 07/10/12 08:29 AM Re: Do you think BOM will be well done? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
I've been enjoying the game more now, I hope they get it squared away and stay in business.

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.