Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3598686 - 06/28/12 01:46 PM Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Some interesting films in the list but personally, I'm tired of zombies and vampires.

http://io9.com/5921089/upcoming-science-...els-or-prequels

I think I'm most excited about "Enders Game".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3598699 - 06/28/12 02:19 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hyena Offline
Hyena  Offline

Houston
Ready Player One already has a movie option? Wow. Is a good book though.

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."
#3598857 - 06/28/12 07:12 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
A little bleak. I wish they would drop the graphic novels and go with more actual sci fi novels. Neuromancer is great news, but I won't hold my breath until it's in production with a good cast and crew. PLEASE don't have Keanu!
We Mortals Are and Oblivion might be really good, if they don't get too Cruise'd up.

Sure is a lot of zombie material. I love The Walking Dead, but that's enough of that genre for me.

Robopocalypse with Spielberg could be good, despite a B movie title. Might check out the book.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3598865 - 06/28/12 07:32 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Having read the excellent 'Mortal Engines' books by Philip Reeve,I was surprised to see the possibility of a movie directed by Peter Jackson.
Fingers crossed he does the books justice.

LINKY

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3598919 - 06/28/12 09:27 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
There's another Riddick movie coming up I'm looking forward to, I know it's technically a sequel but the prior two were pretty different from one another and it's not really "Hollywood" (which I guess is the primary complaint).

And yes, after the success of Walking Dead it looks like we're in for a year or two of copycatting. Zombies are the new Vampires.

Really enjoyed WWZ, I suspect I shall dislike the movie if (as it sounds) they're having screenplay troubles.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#3598926 - 06/28/12 09:33 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: AWL_Spinner]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner
There's another Riddick movie coming up I'm looking forward to,

It's slated for a first quarter 2013 release. I'm really looking forward to seeing Katee Sackhoff again. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3599115 - 06/29/12 08:42 AM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
I hate it when people lump sci-fi in with fantasy, zombies and vampires.
Real sci-fi belongs in an entirely different altitude of literature. But
as almost no real sci-fi has ever made it to the screen (unmolested), I
suppose we have to suffer this persistence of ignorance.

Looks like the sci-fi candidates on this list are Neuromancer, Ender's Game,
and Snow Crash. Period.

#3599169 - 06/29/12 11:55 AM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Completely agree pv1 and you hit the nail on the head about why all of those genres are lumped into one category. Almost all of the shows on SyFy now aren't even science fiction and if you pick up any magazine like SciFi Now, you'll see that over half the stuff that is talked about is fantasy, zombies, vampires, etc.

The fundamental problem I think is that having hard scifi in a category by itself would be too small and wouldn't draw the interest of the mainstream audience.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/29/12 11:58 AM.

#3599305 - 06/29/12 05:15 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Easy answer: "real" sci-fi is ill-suited to film.

You want to take a several hundred page novel and distill it down to a 120 page script, large parts of which are stage direction, but NOT lose all the intricacies and subtle ideas? Not going to happen. At the very least, those books have dialogue which isn't kept for "mainstream audiences" because it's too "dry", and many concepts are simply written while a film must show it either visually or via dialogue and sometimes that just won't work.

Short stories work great because to take a 40 page story and make it a 120 page script you don't have to leave anything out...and you probably need to add very little either.

Comics work great for the same reason. Make a novel of a comic and you'll see it's very short.

I'll bet the lives of every person on Earth that fans of the Ender's Game novel will moan and gnash their teeth over the omissions and changes the film is going to have. It's unavoidable.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3602549 - 07/06/12 01:34 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
fritzthefox Offline
fritzthefox  Offline

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I think all of the genres are getting lumped into one category because they have been crossbred so much no one knows what to call them now. The latest pop culture meme seems to be that creativity = mixing the refrigerator magnets around to yield some new combination of genres ie: Cowboys vs. Aliens, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire hunter or the latest Indian Jones travesty. It's as if Hollywood got its hand on some Mad Libs book of screenwriting and an unlimited supply of erasers.

Anyway, Neuromancer and Snow Crash both look very interesting. They both boast great source novels and directors with some promise: Splice was a daring film (perhaps a little too daring...it bumped up against biological taboos so hard it induced giggling in the audience) and Attack the Block was simply huge fun.

Ender's Game is a feature length twilight zone episode...I'm less optimistic about it. But it is certainly a movie for our time.

I'd like to see a little more old-fashioned space opera. The optimistic space travel flicks of days past seems to have been drowned in a sea of earthbound dystopias.

#3602558 - 07/06/12 01:52 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: fritzthefox]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: fritzthefox
drowned in a sea of earthbound dystopias.

The new Battlestar Galactica was at least a spacebound dystopia. biggrin

#3602574 - 07/06/12 02:07 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hyena Offline
Hyena  Offline

Houston
The sad part is that when Enders Game finally makes it to the big screen, they will give away the ending with the trailers.

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."
#3602697 - 07/06/12 06:48 PM Re: Upcoming sci-fi films that are not remakes, sequels or reboots [Re: fritzthefox]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: fritzthefox
Splice was a daring film (perhaps a little too daring...it bumped up against biological taboos so hard it induced giggling in the audience)

Splice had it going up until that point, then just got comical for a few minutes.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.