Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3602449 - 07/06/12 05:55 AM Differences between original and BMS campaigns  
TacError Offline
TacError  Offline

Vancouver
I'm just getting into BMS Falcon, but there's little information I can find on the differences between the BMS and original campaigns. Anyone got a clue? confused

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3602664 - 07/06/12 05:22 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I don't think so. I don't think the devs know much either... What "differences" are you talking about? It is a dynamic campaign so even if you played the original campaigns over and over, it will be more-or-less different each play through.

They might've tweaked some numbers and such, but I think the basic "dynamic campaign" is still the same, simply because the code itself for that is a b*tch to do again.... so says the original DC devs biggrin

- Ice
#3602732 - 07/06/12 08:44 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
TacError Offline
TacError  Offline

Vancouver
Differences in order of battle, mostly. I never played the original Falcon 4.0 and its campaigns much so I don't know what additions or changes the BMS developers made to its campaigns.

#3602789 - 07/06/12 11:03 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Now that you said it, I've got no clue either as I've not played the original DC... was referring to AF.

In any case, you can affect the OOB anyway by the sliders or whatever it's called at the start of the campaign so that the tasking spawned will reflect the "priorities." Yet again, another way to "tweak" an already dynamic campaign. So don't sweat it... I've not heard much about "bad campaigns," just the occasional stupid endless BARCAPs and such as the campaign comes to a close and the AI doesn't know what else to give you, which is easily solved anyway by creating your own flight/package.

- Ice
#3603488 - 07/08/12 04:00 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
MVS - Hawk Offline
MVS - Hawk  Offline

Tampa, FL
There are changes that can be made to the objectives list that will change the dynamics of the campaigns. Think of it this way, if the file is set up that coalition forces have to control certain objects for the Chinese to enter the war with the DPRK at a certain time, these objects can be changed so that the posession of different objects will trigger the entrance of another entity on either the coalition or DPRK side. This is a hard file and is not altered by the "slides" or "PAK Priorities" within the campaign engine.

The PAK Priorities and slides within the campaign (PAK selection on the right side of the map in the user interface) will alter the dynamic campaign in the aspect of mission origination (ATO), PAK objectives, and ground forces movement but will not alter the "objectives" needed to trigger major shifts in the forces.

The hard file looks at objective posession (partial or total) and balances of force structures (both air and ground) prior to specific events taking place that will alter the campaign. The "objects" consist of bridges, PAKs, towns, cities, airfields, and other itmes. The force structure looks at aircraft ratios, ground force ratios, and supply ratios. Entrance to the campaign by "third" parties are triggered to happen at certain time lines providing the other criteria are met.

Each campaign, in each theater, has different times, force ratios, and objectives that are looked at.

#3603856 - 07/09/12 11:25 AM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Interesting.... so the slider and priorites can change the way a campaign plays out, but there are also non-random events that occur when certain events/criteria are fulfilled? Nice.

But as to the OP's question, has anything been changed in this area since the original F4 campaigns?

- Ice
#3604043 - 07/09/12 04:08 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: - Ice]  
MVS - Hawk Offline
MVS - Hawk  Offline

Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: - Ice

But as to the OP's question, has anything been changed in this area since the original F4 campaigns?

Falcon 4.0 campaigns are the basis for the SP series and then Allied Forces. The original files have been updated over the years to add things like the moveable Bullseye (if enabled), different objectives, adjustments to timelines, addition of new objectives, more interaction in the TAC and Campaign managers, plus all the other rendering. So yes, files have been updated in AF to change the original Campaigns and how they flow

I can not speak for FreeFalcon or BMS workings though. I understand that they have also modified their campaigns but it has been some years since I have flown them. I always seem to return to the AF version, mostly due to multiplayer stability, but that might have been overcome. It used to be said that AF was the most stable multiplayer version out there and I can attest to the stability of it. I have to read up and see if there are going to be any conflicting issues doing multiple installs of FreeFalcon, BMS (which required the original Falcon 4.0 CD for install), Falcon 4.0 and Allied Forces. I know that BMS requires the original exe on the Falcon 4.0 CD. There also use to be the eFalcon series, the RP series, and others that Patched various aspects of the game.

Ultimately, all the campaign engines are basically from the same source, the original Falcon 4.0 source code. Some some of it has been modified in such a manner that the Campaigns are not compatible from one install to another. I have always felt that the most overlooked portion of this sim was the use of the Campaign engine and the use of the TAC engine to create other campaignes within the same theater using whatever "what if" scenario that one chooses.

They used to say that you need to experience the various campaigns yourself to really made a determination of which one that you like the best. I found that I would use one for several months then switch to another which sometimes required a total un-install, removal of any patch software and non compatable add ons, re-install of the version you wanted to try, patching that one if necessary, and hoping that you will not have a problem of such magnitude that you would have to try to do it again. I am sure that this has changed somewhat though. But I willhave to do the "dance" several times to get the most updated views of BMS and FreeFalcon. Either way, no two campaigns will be alike. The major paremeters may not change but play of action will be different. All it takes to change the campaign is for you to be unable to complete your selected mission.

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Interesting.... so the slider and priorites can change the way a campaign plays out, but there are also non-random events that occur when certain events/criteria are fulfilled? Nice.

Yes, moving the sliders will affect the campaign. By moving the sliders, you are changing the ratios required to trigger actions. By moving the PAK colors, you are changing the priorities for that specific PAK, both of which will affect the ATO. However, this does not alter the curent ATO for a couple of hours. Nothing is instateneous in this campaign except being shot down.....

#3604077 - 07/09/12 05:02 PM Re: Differences between original and BMS campaigns [Re: TacError]  
MVS - Hawk Offline
MVS - Hawk  Offline

Tampa, FL
From this view, it appears that the functionality between BMS and AF for the campaign engine is the same, but the eye candy is different.

http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php?148

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.