Hop To
#3597221 - 06/25/12 10:08 PM Prometheus  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
I could not find a thread about the movie - maybe I didn't look hard enough - so here's one, until someone points me to the 13 pages one I'm sure I didn't see.

I just went to see it this afternoon (with my girlfriend who hated every second of it) and I'm left with more questions than answers (ironic uh ?) since I found it so open to personal interpretation. I'm really not quite sure what to make of it, maybe I'm not a big enough Alien buff, so I'd like to confront my interpretation with what others thought. And here we go into spoiler mode...

Click to reveal..
SO

In the the intro scene, one of the Engineers is seen drinking some of the black ooze, and then seemingly disintegrate at a molecular level. His DNA is seen to break up and then reconstruct again, as if to hint that this particular individual's sacrifice allowed genetic material to be spread on earth and allow the spontaneous forming of new life forms (us), which is why the Engineers' DNA is so similar to ours.
The individual in question is apparently left alone on a barren land (Earth ?) as if abandoned there, maybe cast away for a crime he committed. We would then be seen by other Engineers as the soiled offspring of a dangerous criminal, come to seek our revenge.

This one individual from the intro, one of the Engineers, having given us the greatest gift of all (life) by betraying his own kind, would then be comparable to the mythological Prometheus. Alternatively, he could have been left there to start with for betraying his kind by granting us a gift that allowed us to rebel against his kind : Prometheus again.

Flash forward several thousand years, the Humans reach that remote moon, and find thousands of jars of the black stuff, loaded in a ship with navigational data to Earth in its central computer... Two explanations for that : 1-The Engineers did create us, but we outlasted our planned purpose and they were planning to come and de-compose us to serve as base for a new experiment. 2-We did rebel thanks to the guy at the beginning or we did originate from his suicide and represent an abomination to the Engineers, and they were coming to clean up the mess. That would explain the surviving Engineer's reaction when confronted to live humans...

Now, the Aliens... The black ooze by itself doesn't seem to spawn Aliens, but it does appear to affect DNA and cause fast mutations, and worms can be seen crawling on the floor of the "cave". My take is those worms mutated when they became exposed to the black ooze (DNA decomposed and recombined) and attacked the Engineers. The new mutated worms retained their initial parasitic method of reproduction, but their mutation have enabled them to combine their DNA with that of the larvae's hosts, hence why we don't see an Alien looking even remotely like the Xenomorph until one incubates and hatches from the last Engineer.

That's my take on things...

Now two things I couldn't quite explain :

- Why would the pictogram left on Earth point to such a barren place of no real relevance to us except it looks like a staging area for a fleet tasked with destroying us.

- What is David's deal with the black ooze, and why infect Holloway ? I didn't quite get the "Great things have small beginnings" part. What was he trying to achieve by infecting the doc, and how did it fit in Weyland's plans ?

I'm really interested to know what you guys made out of this movie. None of my friends have seen it yet and the GF just found it "scary, gross and stupid" (women...)

Panzer, as the resident Sci-Fi expert, I have a feeling you have a great explanation to share with us wink

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3597239 - 06/25/12 10:49 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Check out the Outer Space and Sci Fi section of the forum. There are two topics - one spoiler free - the other full of spoilers.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/98/1/Outer_Space_Science_Fiction.html

#3597240 - 06/25/12 10:49 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
There's a thread in the Sci Fi/Outer Space forum.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3597245 - 06/25/12 10:55 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
There is a thread in the SciFi forum for it. I am surprised no one told you about it yet.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3597251 - 06/25/12 11:00 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
I don't know how to do the spoiler hiding thing,so don't read any further if you haven't seen it.

SPOILER BELOW

I don't think the guy drank the black oil.Looked like something else to me.Something he mixed up with his finger.
Seemed to me he was already infected and was trying to prevent himself from becoming an incubator simply by killing himself.
And David was told to "try harder" by the old man.

#3597252 - 06/25/12 11:02 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
It's easy {spoiler} text {/spoiler} but instead of using { use [ ]

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3597262 - 06/25/12 11:21 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
Well,reading the other thread leads me to think either everyone else saw something that wasn't there,or that I'm just getting too old and didn't catch it from the beginning.
Carry on....

#3597337 - 06/26/12 02:01 AM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

I saw it this past weekend and while I was a big fan of Alien and Aliens, this one didn't do it for me. It was not as creepy although the special effects were good and the leading lady was very likable.

I had more questions at the end of the movie, beginning with 'what the hell did i just watch?'

At the end of the show I felt embarrassed that I had just spent good money to watch this thing. I was surprised however at the end that the focus seemed to be on God. This is what really pissed off Walter Chaw, a brilliant atheist movie critic.

A disappointment for me.

Last edited by Scylla; 06/26/12 02:01 AM.

FTX Global
#3597405 - 06/26/12 06:43 AM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Definitely agreed it wasn't nearly "horror" like the first 2. Good scifi though, but light on detail and "space program-ness air" for lack of a better description.. I still like the original the most, maybe a toss up with this one and Aliens. Aliens was a simpler movie, but at the top of that genres game--and influenced countless video games too for that matter.

I certainly enjoyed the hell out of the movie, despite some shortcomings, or more appropriately, simply wanting more of it.
Final judgment on this one will come with an extended length directors cut we know MUST be coming. This movie , more than the others, DOES have me chopping at the bit for subsequent movies.The others never really led you into a promise of another movie.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3597443 - 06/26/12 09:55 AM Re: Prometheus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hmm, i just wonder why Sir R. Scott invented a story about the origin of humans, when it is obvious how the humans of today developed on earth without needing an outer space influence of that kind, backed up by a proper fossil record and other scientific data ?
(leaving creationists and god's own creation of Adam and Eve aside for now)

Couldn't he have thought of something else .. well i'll watch it of course.

#3597482 - 06/26/12 12:40 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: Catfish]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Catfish
Hmm, i just wonder why Sir R. Scott invented a story about the origin of humans, when it is obvious how the humans of today developed on earth without needing an outer space influence of that kind, backed up by a proper fossil record and other scientific data ?

Um, you know it's a science fiction film right?

Did you ever watch the new Battlestar Galactica? That also completely violated what we know about the origin of hominids on Earth.

BSG wasn't a historical documentary of course but science fiction. That's an easy concept to grasp.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/26/12 12:43 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3597483 - 06/26/12 12:41 PM Re: Prometheus [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Final judgment on this one will come with an extended length directors cut we know MUST be coming.

Scott has already confirmed that the dvd version will be 20+ extra minutes longer and it will have 30+ minutes of deleted scenes.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/26/12 12:41 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.