Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3436437 - 11/18/11 03:33 AM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: Force10]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Originally Posted By: Force10

Since you will need the money to pay for bug fix patches...here ya go: 12 8 31 22 28 19

What? $20 that I drop just stepping out?
Nah.. I'm taking real money so I can retire, pay Boeing or a big company to make me a full motion 360 holographic simulator.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3436480 - 11/18/11 04:49 AM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
I just spent $100 at the pub and now have the hangover of the century. That only lasts a day but DCS will last me many more wink

Who needs our support and money more???

$90 for battlefield 3 when there are millions buying it even though it has broken 1970s style joystick support.

$40 + $20 for DCS when there is less than even 1million customers

It's obvious which one is value.

#3436661 - 11/18/11 03:43 PM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: citizen guod]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Lets get this thread back on track. Great write up Einstein! I have a quick question. Your system specs are pretty close to mine EP, was wondering if you had any annoying micro-stutters during gameplay? That was part of the reason I shelved BS1 way back, solid framerate but micro-stutters every 10-15 secs. DCS A-10 runs perfect on my rig, so I'm not sure what the deal was there.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3436729 - 11/18/11 05:49 PM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: citizen guod]  
pakfront Offline
Ground Looper
pakfront  Offline
Ground Looper

CA, USA
Thanks for the write up. I'd like to hear more about the improved wingman AI.

. A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig. - Porco Rosso
. Windows 8, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz, 8GB RAM
. GeForce 560 640mb @ 1920x1200 32bpp 96dpi
. TrackIR 3 Vector, Logitech G940 & G25
#3462846 - 11/27/11 03:38 AM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: Force10]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Your system specs are pretty close to mine EP, was wondering if you had any annoying micro-stutters during gameplay?
Nope - not a one. I've got a straight-out-of-the-box nVidia config, too: no tweaking with any default graphics settings in the 285.62 driver package.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3590930 - 06/13/12 02:52 AM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: Force10]  
Pathfinder2 Offline
Pathfinder2  Offline

Michigan
Seeing the posts here I can tell that DCS's strategy is working. Pretty soon it will be standard for us to pay for patches that only include bug fixes. Were not there yet, but you can tell the future will be them citing "finite" resources and "unexpected" length of time to fix bugs and a lot of folks here will hand over their money with that glazed look in their eye's and ridicule those that oppose it.

You are absolutely correct, it happened with the Xbox 360 DLC market, and its happening to the Sim market because frankly DCS has the market cornered, who else has a Simulator of this scale and realism? JANES is long since deceased, and BIS is more concerned with the big government bucks of focusing on ground warfare......

BS2 is a patch......I don't care how people sing it, praise it, defend it, in any other market and in any other title, the changes would be considered a patch....

I've been playing computer games since I was about 11 years old, that was back in oh god, 1995 , back then when a company released a title, they stood by it, they supported the community, and when they pushed a new title, the community stood by the developer because they took care of them........

You CANNOT tell me or justify to me that ED did the same with the DCS BS series, TWO patches is "justifiable support"

How are all these "additions & fixes" in BS 2 not things that should have been fixed in BS 1?

When I bought BS 1 it was because they were waving the idea of them tieing in more aircraft to my simulator so that my choice of craft would eventually grow and offer a wider variety. Instead the dropped my product, tied it in to a soon to be negated product (LO:FC2 with FC3) and pulled out a few fixes and a new campaign and called it a sequel....

I am utterly disgusted with ED right now. When I first saw their sales pitch I thought it was a new Sim Era dawning to compare to the prime years of JANES Combat Simulations..... [admin edit] I don't regard as much better than a Ponzie scam on Wallstreet.

And Einstein, your whole review sounded like you were given a free upgrade to say it was a justified act, throughout all of your review I couldn't find a single thing in there that shouldn't have been a pay-free patch for Black Shark, a new campaign is not worth $29-49 , and the FIXES (as you used the word yourself multiple times) should have been just that....

The gaming & simulation industry really are turning into a sad thing to behold, I guess my wife is right, I need to spend less time on this crap.

Admin Edit - You're welcome to your opinion but don't make claims like that

Last edited by guod; 06/19/12 04:57 AM.
#3590942 - 06/13/12 03:34 AM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
"DCS has the market cornered," lol loved that line wink

If you don't like it, then play DCS World - its actually free.

As for $49, who paid that?

You can buy the whole game for $19 on Steam for instance.
The "upgrade" sells for as little as $9.

Maybe your wife was right, in the time you typed that post you could have earned the $9 at work to buy the upgrade.

#3593901 - 06/18/12 09:46 PM Re: Review: DCS: Black Shark 2 [Re: Pathfinder2]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Pathfinder2
BS2 is a patch......I don't care how people sing it, praise it, defend it, in any other market and in any other title, the changes would be considered a patch....

I've been playing computer games since I was about 11 years old, that was back in oh god, 1995 , back then when a company released a title, they stood by it, they supported the community, and when they pushed a new title, the community stood by the developer because they took care of them........

Hmm..so you were familiar with Falcon 4 then. Released in 1998. So..cough..where was the stellar support for that? And though we have fond memories of titles in the Jane's series, they were pretty much patched a couple of times and then the teams folded and moved on. No additional campaigns, no additional content, nothing. So with all your vast experience, I fail to see a volume of past titles that were supported ad infinitum.

Quote:
I am utterly disgusted with ED right now. When I first saw their sales pitch I thought it was a new Sim Era dawning to compare to the prime years of JANES Combat Simulations..... [admin edit] I don't regard as much better than a Ponzie scam on Wallstreet.

That is the dumbest string of sentences I've seen strung together in a long time. How much interoperability did Jane's titles have again? Remind me?

Quote:
And Einstein, your whole review sounded like you were given a free upgrade to say it was a justified act, throughout all of your review I couldn't find a single thing in there that shouldn't have been a pay-free patch for Black Shark, a new campaign is not worth $29-49 , and the FIXES (as you used the word yourself multiple times) should have been just that....

You left out a few things..but your oversimplification fits with your disregard for the facts.

Quote:
The gaming & simulation industry really are turning into a sad thing to behold, I guess my wife is right, I need to spend less time on this crap.

I agree with your wife. thumbsup

BeachAV8R

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.