Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3590073 - 06/11/12 06:54 PM What is DCS?  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Posted by Matt "Wags" Wagner a little while ago.

What is DCS?

DCS stands for “Digital Combat Simulator”. DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras and in different geographical locations. It is a true "sand box" simulation. DCS started with the Ka-50 and A-10C, but has recently grown to also include the P-51D Mustang and, with Combined Arms, a ground command and control tactical warfare component. Future products from The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics in the DCS line are in development and will include third party products for the first time.

The overall "simulation operating system" is termed DCS World and is a free program that includes a free Su-25T for the player to fly. All DCS products will plug into DCS World as unique modules within the same software installation. DCS products will not be limited to aircraft, but will include maps, missions, campaigns, environment objects, weapons, vehicles and ships. We even hope to look into a train simulation component in the future!

Third party products to DCS are supported by ED and there are already several qualified 3rd party teams creating new aircraft that will plug into DCS World. In these cases we leave it up to the developer to decide the level of systems fidelity, but we do expect certain "DCS Standards" to be maintained such as detailed and accurate models and cockpits, mouse clickable cockpit controls, and 6 DOF view control. Third parties are provided access to our Standard Flight Model (SFM), which ED can assist to adjust and improve to suit the requirements. Given the extremely complex nature of our Advanced Flight Model (AFM) in DCS we are currently unable to provide a SDK for 3rd party use. However, 3rd parties are also invited to offer their own Flight Models should it prove to be satisfactory.

In parallel, we are also developing Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3), which will also work within DCS World. However, Flaming Cliffs 3 will require an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat to be present on your computer. FC3 will probably be the last version of this critically acclaimed product line.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3590095 - 06/11/12 07:22 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Hmmm... can they call it DCS World when it only comprises of the Georgia area?

And "Standard" flight model for all 3rd party aircraft? It's starting to go downhill from there... though I hope the bottom won't be too far. It'll still be a gorgeous sim, no doubt, but the flight model is one of the important things IMHO. Can you imagine driving a tank in the sim only to find out it uses an arcade driving model? Oh well, at least we start getting more aircraft, then I hope it gets further and further refined until it "graduates" to an advanced flight model and more accurate representation of the systems.

So unless a certain mod/aircraft comes with as much bells and whistles as possible (as many systems implemented, flight models accurate to published data, etc.) I think I won't be buying any more from this line until it matures a bit.

I hope DCS: Next follows more in the footsteps of DCS A10 though.

- Ice
#3590134 - 06/11/12 08:39 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
DCS World doesn't mean that it will encompass the whole world, it's just the world of DCS. As for the SFM for 3rd parties, I think they've said that that's for now.

#3590216 - 06/11/12 11:46 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: - Ice]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Originally Posted By: - Ice

And "Standard" flight model for all 3rd party aircraft? It's starting to go downhill from there...

Ice, I'd look at it as a modern day IL-2 with all the goodies. And not much wrong with that.

Thanks for posting Doug, don't go over to the DCS site often. I like their business model. Open up their graphics engine.
Provide an SDK for "qualified" 3rd parties. Prolly keeping the advanced flight model for their own offerings.
(Carrier Ops - PLEASE!)

Clancy's Red Storm Rising will be put into play very soon.

#3590330 - 06/12/12 02:49 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: piper]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: piper

Clancy's Red Storm Rising will be put into play very soon.

That would be AWESOME!!!!

#3590388 - 06/12/12 06:35 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Cadmium77 Offline
Cadmium77  Offline

Nevada map is on the way

And I don't know about control of ships. I asked about Ticonderogas over at their forum and someone said no.

Last edited by Cadmium77; 06/12/12 06:35 AM.
#3590418 - 06/12/12 10:28 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Agiel7 Offline
Agiel7  Offline

What I wouldn't give for a DCS: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

#3590467 - 06/12/12 12:51 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
next in the series : DCS Lasagna Heat - a new module where Pepperoni Pizza troops battle the forces of Lasagna, forces bent on proving the superior taste of true Italian Lasagna over American style Pepperoni Pizza.

#3590537 - 06/12/12 02:40 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
next in the series : DCS Lasagna Heat - a new module where Pepperoni Pizza troops battle the forces of Lasagna, forces bent on proving the superior taste of true Italian Lasagna over American style Pepperoni Pizza.

It would still come with a 600 page manual.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3590544 - 06/12/12 02:45 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Remon
DCS World doesn't mean that it will encompass the whole world, it's just the world of DCS. As for the SFM for 3rd parties, I think they've said that that's for now.
Lol, I know. Was just trying to be funny.

Originally Posted By: Cadmium77
Nevada map is on the way
It was "coming" since before release.

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

It would still come with a 600 page manual.
And people all over the USA will argue about the accuracy of the "Amercian" pizza!

- Ice
#3590654 - 06/12/12 06:30 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: - Ice]  
Rusty_M Offline
Rusty_M  Offline

Edinburgh UK
Originally Posted By: - Ice

DCS: Region doesn't have the same ring to it biggrin

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine!

Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 950 @4GHz, 6GB corsair Dominator 1600 MHz, EVGA GTX 570, Samsung 1Tb, 60 Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD
#3591341 - 06/13/12 08:45 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Actually, the "world" issue raises a point:

Has an SDK been provided for third party development of maps? Imagine what the ORBX team could do for DCS...

Save for a brief vacation to Nevada, the LOMAC/DCS series has seen more aircraft than it has environments...

Also, I'm confused as to what encompasses their "basic" flight model. Does it mean both the Mig-21 and SU-25 are going to fly the same, or that programing an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft (think VRS Superbug from MSFS fame) is 'off limits' at this time? I'm fine with the basic flight model for now if it allows for more stable releases that make it to shelves faster. I figure ED will wait and see how the market responds before investing in more SDK development.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 06/13/12 08:51 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3591445 - 06/14/12 01:51 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Wazaza Offline
Wazaza  Offline

Seoul, Korea
The concept and structure of "sand box" looks very promising. Also, high-fidelity FM and cockpit operations with stunning visuals are also very welcome. Indeed, they are really good and fun to play with.

However, at least for me, the most disappointing feature is combat simulation. The name says its a "Combat" simulator. But, honestly, where is combat in DCS? There are bunch of machines with explosives but no combat-a game with tactical objectives and means.

I do not say it is poor just because it does not have dynamic campaign. Actually, well-written scripted campaign could be much better than poorly implemented dynamic one. For example, missions provided in A-10C were so fragmented that it's very hard to feel that I'm in the battle field. Mission creation for MP is just a joke. IMHO, if DCS stands for true "combat" simulator, focuses should be on that part rather than "world" part.

#3591733 - 06/14/12 06:06 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Also, I'm confused as to what encompasses their "basic" flight model. Does it mean both the Mig-21 and SU-25 are going to fly the same, or that programing an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft (think VRS Superbug from MSFS fame) is 'off limits' at this time? I'm fine with the basic flight model for now if it allows for more stable releases that make it to shelves faster. I figure ED will wait and see how the market responds before investing in more SDK development.

I don't think AFM and SFM have anything to do with avionics so as the SFM would a exclude a fly-by-wire plane. It's more to do with inertia and other physics that affect a plane in flight.

#3591745 - 06/14/12 06:28 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: guod
We even hope to look into a train simulation component in the future!

Finally!!!!! jawdrop We were just joking about this the other day!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3591814 - 06/14/12 08:36 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA

Has an SDK been provided for third party development of maps? Imagine what the ORBX team could do for DCS...

Man, I really hope so.

... Does it mean both the Mig-21 and SU-25 are going to fly the same, or that programing an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft (think VRS Superbug from MSFS fame) is 'off limits' at this time?

The VRS Superbug is a perfect example of what ED will allow.

Originally Posted By: Matt "Wags" Wagner

However, 3rd parties are also invited to offer their own Flight Models should it prove to be satisfactory.

#3591989 - 06/15/12 02:25 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: Wazaza]  
mrskortch Offline
mrskortch  Offline

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/All_about_land
Theres not a lot documentation out there for it, and it is all for the "old" terrain engine, but it exists. Hopefully the "EDGE" stuff will get an SDK.

Originally Posted By: Wazaza

Missions provided in A-10C were so fragmented that it's very hard to feel that I'm in the battle field. Mission creation for MP is just a joke. IMHO, if DCS stands for true "combat" simulator, focuses should be on that part rather than "world" part.

I agree with some of the A-10C missions campaigns, personally though I think the ones created for BS2 are far superior. But, how exaclty is MP mission creation a joke? The missions created for multiplayer are almost always better than the ones created for single player.

#3593095 - 06/17/12 08:35 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Train Simulator..... WOW. I never saw that coming. Might as well throw a Farm Tractor Simulator and a Street Sweeping Simulator in there while your at it......

#3593152 - 06/17/12 01:00 PM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

portable public toilet simulator! biggrin

#3593562 - 06/18/12 08:53 AM Re: What is DCS? [Re: citizen guod]  
Fevriul Offline
ShowTime 100
Fevriul  Offline
ShowTime 100

Talking of red storm rising , being able to recreate the Dance of the Vampries Carrier mission or the Frisbees of Dreamland attack mission would be superb, although the frisbess is thoeretical aircraft , but to create it and then lead an attack against the radar aircraft would be brilliant

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.